Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Gunfire Reborn is a co-operative, run-based shooter.

Oh, and you're a badass Chinese cartoon animal. With guns. Big guns. Action is fast, and the weapons feel great.

The game world consists of four acts, each with its own level theme (tomb, desert, beach, and glacier), completely unique enemies, and terrifying end-boss.

While gameplay is run-based, Gunfire uses a system similar to Rogue Legacy; as you play you'll gradually become more powerful. Throughout each run, you'll collect soul fragments that are used to improve your characters with Talents, which persist between runs.

A full co-op play of the game, to the final boss, should take a bit over an hour at a leisurely pace.

The game features five playable characters with full talent and ascension trees.

The Heroes:

Crown Prince (the cat)

"A myterious visitor from Spirit Realm who is proficient in alchemy and the elemental arts. With his alchemist expertise, the Crown Prince is able to trap and freeze the movement of his enemies with the Enerby Orb. His hidden background has made him even closer to the elements. He combines various elements skillfully to create extraordinary effects."

Primary Skill: Energy Orb (fire an orb that causes small AOE damage and briefly locks enemies in place)
Secondary Skill: Smoke Grenade (toss a grenade that explodes into a decay cloud, causing damage over time and slowing enemies)

Crown Prince has a regenerating shield and ascensions that revolve around boosting damage output, especially elemental damage. He also has a bit of crowd-control with his orb and smoke grenades.

Ao Bai (the dog)

"A master of explosions and firearms. Ao Bai's expertise with firearms allows him to control two weapons at the same time. Also, due to his passion for explosions, he has always been able to make powerful explosives."

Primary Skill: Dual Wield (pulls out both weapons for several seconds, causing much greater damage)
Secondary Skill: Explosive Grenade (tosses an explosive grenade that deals decent AOE damage)

Ao Bai's ascensions have two main paths, enhancing his damage and survivability while dual-wielding, or boosting his explosive damage and radius. While Dual Wield allows for massive damage output, his shield is weaker than Crown Prince's, so he can be a bit of a glass cannon.

Qing Yan (the bird)

"Qing Yan is a skilled martial artist who moves like the wind and is as elusive as shadows. Unlike others, Qing Yan has a dislike of alchemy and Shield and chooses instead to indulge in martial arts and Armor. With his martial art prowess, Qing Yan likes to leap into the fray to cleave enemies. That being said, he also likes the smoke and sound of shotguns."

Primary Skill: Leap (fly/charge forward, dealing damage and recovering armor)
Secondary Skill: Cleave (wedge-shaped AOE melee sword attack)

Qing Yan's skills and ascensions are melee-focused, but he can still still rely on gunplay for high damage output. He does not have a shield, instead having natural armor. The armor only regenerates through certain attacks or skills, making survival a unique challenge.

Lei Luo (the... other cat)

"Lei Luo, who is born with thunder tattoos, can easily manipulate lightning to hit enemies. Through continuous training, he can integrate his talents with firearm skills to make an amazing shot."

Primary Skill: Fatal Current (speed and damage buff)
Secondary Skill: Chain Lightning (zap!)

Lei Luo has a focus on sniper-type weapons and has several ascensions related to critical hits.

Tao (the rabbit)

"Tao, who is a master in the art of sword control, is keen to manipulate her royal flying sword to strike all foes. Meanwhile, she can condense her energy into petals, dealing hidden injuries against enemies with her Fatal Bloom."

Primary Skill: Swords Out (throw a ridiculous stream of swords)
Secondary Skill: Fatal Bloom (ranged damage plus vulnerability debuff)

Tao's ascensions revolve around her flying swords, either increasing the number/damage of them during Swords Out, or making them appear and strike enemies during other situations. She also has several perks that will buff her based on ammo spent, meaning her ideal weapon is anything with a high ammo consumption rate.

Qian Sui (the turtle)

"The valiant Qian Sui specializes in the art of close combat, traversing the battlefield while showing off his immense strength. Being associated with water, Qian Sui is capable of summoning a Tidal Aspis to block his enemies' fierce attacks while smashing any enemy daring to stand in his way."

Primary Skill: Tidal Aspis (a duration-based shield that makes all attacks melee)
Secondary Skill: Striking Punch (strong forward-facing melee punch)

Qian Sui's shield makes him effectively invulnerable, and many of his talents focus on enhancing its duration and cooldown, or buffing him while/after it's up. He also has several melee-based upgrades to work with his punches, whether or not the shield is up.

Systems:

Weapons: Weapon drops have specific names with set behaviors, similar to Legendaries from Borderlands. For example, "Soul Devourer" is always an electricity-based auto-pistol with a regenerating magazine, but it can roll with different Inscriptions (see below) that can modify its capabilities. You can only hold two weapons at any time, plus your starter pistol, which you can't drop.

Talents: Bought between runs with the soul fragments collected during battle, this is your character "skill tree". Add damage, gold pickup rate, max ammo, etc. Points spent in Talents persist between runs, so over time you become (much) more powerful.

Ascensions: These are picked up at the end of each level, and boost your character for the current run only. They're class-specific and are designed to complement each character's abilities. Having the right Ascensions can make a huge difference in your character's power level, so choose carefully.

Inscriptions: While each weapon has a set profile, each drop rolls "Inscriptions", that can drastically change its damage, element, projectile count, or fire rate -- or even add odd behaviors.

Gemini Inscriptions: These start appearing around the third act, and if you have two weapons with the same Gemini inscription, they both gain an extremely powerful bonus or effect.

Gameplay tips:

- Health does not regenerate on its own, so if you take a hit or two, spend a few seconds hiding behind an object and let your shield recharge. Ideally, you want to reach the first boss without taking much (if any) health damage.

- While you can run-and-gun the early levels, eventually the enemies do so much damage that you have to use cover, timing, and movement to avoid being hit.

- Don't be precious about your early-game weapons. You can upgrade their raw numbers at the Craftsman, but they're stuck with their initial Inscription rolls. Rather than upgrading your starter-chest Glimmering until the end boss, keep an eye out for a better drop or purchase, even if it's not your preferred weapon.

- In co-op games, you can drop most scrolls, and your friends can pick them up! Specifically, the one that makes buns restore 100% health -- pass this around to make healing much easier.

From SaffronKit:
- There are three base Element types (Shock, Corrosion, Fire) and each are strong against a certain type of health (Shield, Armor, Health). Elemental damage has a % chance based on weapon to apply a status effect. What makes this system unique? Status effects can combine!

Shock + Corrosion: Blight (huge stacking DOT)
Shock + Fire: Charm (makes enemies fight for you)
Corrosion + Fire: Explosion (explodes for decent Explosion damage in AOE)

- Always keep an eye out for Vaults. They're your main way of getting occult scrolls and learning where the cracks spawn and what they look like in each world is pretty important.

- Also keep an eye out for Gold Chests, they can spawn tucked in corners and out of sight nooks and while not game winningly amazing can absolutely help you along in a run you're struggling in. Gold Chests have a variety of options that they can offer to you ranging from the very useful, niche or useless depending on what you need at the time!

Goon Co-Op

Gunfire Goons is a Steam group where you can arrange co-op games with goons!

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The game is already a steal at $11.99 on Steam, but for the next week it's 10% off at $10.79.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I do not enjoy Ziggurat and Immortal Redneck but I do enjoy this game, the fact that its co-op is just icing on the cake. The shooting reminds me of Overwatch kinda, which is a good thing.
I haven't played Immortal Redneck, but I found Ziggurat disappointing. I never felt like I was making much progress or really figuring out how to play the game "correctly".

While I'd love to have a talent or option to skip the Temple (or randomize the level order, scaling enemies to match), the guns and abilities feel good enough that the game is still fun, even when mowing down crossbowmen for the 50th time.

I randomly picked this up during a run yesterday:

I'm not usually a Bone Dragon fan, but this one shoots two projectiles normally, and can fire up to four on subsequent shots. I also had the "first shot from the magazine does +50% damage" scroll. Between massive AOE damage and the crowd control from the black hole effect, it made the second half of Act 2 and all of Act 3 a cakewalk, paired with a decent Crimson Firescale.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SaffronKit posted:

Hey sure I can contribute to a thread on my favorite FPS roguelite game right now. Kung Fu Birb is best hero, you won't change my mind.
I'm really enjoying him so far, but he seems to suffer the more players you add to the run. The enemy health scale-up with more players makes it much harder to land killing blows with Leap/Cleave, which make his ascensions less powerful.

For solo runs, though, he's amazing. I've reached the final boss the first two out of three times I played him.

quote:

To add to the tips in OP
Thanks, added to the OP!

My group definitely doesn't coordinate elemental effects enough. We all have our own favorite weapons, and for whatever reason it usually turns out that most or all of us went full Fire. Oops.

I'd argue that Charm is still pretty great. We've definitely locked down some nasty enemies with it, especially some of the nightmare jerks in the third act. Explosion is fun too, it's always a happy surprise when you start shooting an enemy and it suddenly explodes.

quote:

And that's it! A lot of the fun in this game is figuring out stuff on your own and frankly it ain't too hard. My two favorite runs that I've had date included an Ao Bai run where I became actually unkillable. The other was with Qing Yan the day he released where I got a Cleave build which let me kill my way through the final world without every firing a single shot of my gun, just one shooting everything. Yes, even the final boss. For those familiar with him it actually took about 7ish cleave hits due to figuring out the range finding and dealing with the invincibility phases. Was still laughing my rear end off the entire time.
I haven't done anything that broken yet. Actually, I haven't beaten the final boss yet, though I've gotten there a few times. I usually play with 3-4 people, so boss health is crazy high, and we die a lot figuring out the mechanics.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Out of curiosity, what are peoples' favorite weapons?

I know weapon choice will vary based on the inscriptions that drop, but what are your go-to weapons if they're available with good rolls?

I'm a big fan of the Illusion, and will basically always take one that drops with elemental damage.

For fire weapons, Glimmering is still extremely powerful, even post-nerf. And the Crimson Firescale feels so good to shoot, with a really satisfying secondary mode.

For electric, I like the changes they made to Lightning Blast, upping its rate of fire and damage a bit. The projectiles are a little slow for long-range combat, but it's great closer in. The Lightning Glove and Star Devourer both seem great through the first boss, and then fall off on damage. I've never found either in the later game that seems worth keeping.

And for Decay, I just don't have a weapon I love yet. The Prism is decent, but I don't care for any of the others I've seen yet.

Looking through the armory, I think there are still like 8-10 guns I haven't unlocked yet, mostly from act 3.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Im_Special posted:

I made a Steam group for us to all join to get co-ops going easier. Gunfire Goons. Steam's not letting me upload up an image for it right now, says invalid token or whatever, I'll try again a bit later.
Awesome, thanks! Added the link to the OP.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I finally beat the final boss.

I was using Qing Yan, but the available ascensions weren't great for melee offense, so I kept boosting his leap recovery (armor and cooldown). I found an amazing Scalpel after the first boss, with tons of crit damage, plus the inscription that adds a stacking crit bonus after landing 4 crits in a second - which is so easy to do with the Scalpel. I think it was +6 or +7 by the end.

Then I picked up the "punch through shields/armor on crit" scroll, and it was mostly a cakewalk from there. The only enemies I had trouble with were ones with a small crit area - mainly Octopus and those charging jerks in act 2.

Final boss was a pushover since it was so easy to crit, and I could instantly recover my armor whenever I took a hit.

I'm looking forward to using the new stuff I unlocked, though I don't think I'm quite ready for Elite yet.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm getting a lot better at identifying good weapons to pick up.

+CritX is amazing with most accurate weapons, especially if you can get multipliers on the same one. And especially once you have Ascensions and Talents that boost critical damage. I'll generally take a good crit damage, autofire gun or kunai over anything else.

I found a Cavalry (not at all one of my favorite guns normally!) that had "Missed shots are returned to the magazine", as well as a bunch of crit and lucky chance bonuses. I could basically hold it down nonstop, and as soon as a couple of bullets hit something in the head, it disintegrated.

I still think Gemini inscriptions are a trap. They almost never match up, and by the time you get to act 3, you've probably already found and invested in a good weapon.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
You can also dash through the breath, in the opposite direction he's turning. You'll take a small amount of damage, but it's better than trying to outrun the beam if you're too far away. The breath won't one-shot you if you're ready to dash when he fires, even if you catch a little piece of it.

And as the bird, you can leap to recover your armor right after he breathes and safely get a little distance again before he resets.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just unlocked the Dragonchaser, and oh my god it's amazing.

I had one drop with bonus crit damage and fast reload. Tagged the first boss in the head with it, held down the trigger, and he died before his first attack. The second boss wasn't too much harder, though from some angles you simply can't hit his weak spot in the first phase.

Predictably, I made one minor mistake on the last boss and got one-shotted. I wish they'd tone down the damage on the area attack - if you use your dash to avoid something else right before the barrage, you're probably dead.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Just beat the Elite boss co-op with my buddy.

I had this loadout at the end:

I think she had her own Illusion and a Piercing Flame with a bunch of insta-kill stuff.

We both found tons of broken scrolls. I was the bird, and I could basically leap at 600% damage on a minimum cooldown. I also had both of the regenerating damage shield scrolls, so while I wasn't invulnerable, I could laugh off the first 3-ish hits of each encounter.

This game's good.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Multiplayer is more fun, but the large increases to enemy spawns and health pools unbalance some of the abilities and occult scrolls. Each player count is pretty different though.

One player: You're a chainsaw and can just rip through enemies. Once you're down, you're down.

Two players: You can still take down enemies quickly and as a bonus can get each other back up if someone goes down. Boss/elite fights can be hard because if one person goes down, the boss will focus the other, making aid very difficult.

Three players: Aiding allies is much easier, but enemies start having so much health that everyone needs to be pulling their own weight, or the later levels get overwhelming.

Four players: Amazingly fun, but it can be a slog, especially in act 2. Prepare for massive waves of bullet-sponge enemies. I actually find it a little easier than three, because if one player gets bad drops (or just isn't great at the game), the other players can more easily pick up the slack.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My already-favorite weapon, the Illusion, is now even better. Once the fire rate has ramped up, you can stop firing for a few beats to re-aim, and when you fire again you still get the higher rate of fire.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Gunfire's still good, but I've done all the things there are to do in it so far.

My gaming group is heavy into Deep Rock Galactic, which is a similarly team-based co-op shooter but has much better endgame progression.

I have 108 hours in Gunfire and 250 in DRG, and I still feel like there's a ton for me to do in DRG.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
DRG never felt grind-y to me. It does kind of suck waiting to get a gun unlock, but it happens so fast in the grand scheme of things, especially when you can start doing harder difficulties.

I don't like DRG solo, for what it's worth. It's a good game because it promotes teamwork between the different roles -- if you're missing any of the four, you really feel it.

Gunfire Reborn, on the other hand, works well solo, and with any combination of classes.

Ultimately, I hope they add a bit of replayability to Gunfire. I know it'll probably never have a long endgame given its scope and price point, but it'd be nice to have things to continually work toward.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I tried the bunny for the first time this morning, and she's a lot of fun.

I haven't played in a while, so I don't know how many balance changes have happened recently, but it seemed like I had a much easier time getting through late act 1 and act 2. I had just started act 3 when my power went out (thanks Claudette!).

Has anyone noticed that the game is a little easier lately on normal difficulty?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Illusion is far and away my favorite weapon in the game. It hits at a surprisingly long range for a shotgun, and up close the spread is tight enough to multi-crit enemies.

When it rolls with good affixes (elemental damage, extra projectiles, etc.), it just gets ridiculous, to the point where it can delete the act 1 and 2 bosses in seconds.

I don't actually like the way Wild Hunt feels when shooting, and other others feel underpowered.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Xaris posted:

I don't really like what they did to Golden Bow or Woodpecker though.
I didn't like the Golden Bow before and don't like it now, but it breaks my heart what the previously-great Woodpecker has become.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just unlocked Pupil yesterday, and it's pretty good. I still prefer the Illusion, but playing as the Prince with a level two bonus lightning damage enhancement, I was doing some pretty crazy damage in acts 2-3.

I still don't have Demonlore. Some runs you only get 1-2 lobsters, and if you don't have a fire weapon... WELP.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm playing again with the newest changes, but I generally don't play most games with people I don't know in real life (even though virtually every goon I've ever gamed with has been awesome). I guess I like building a regular crew for most games.

The rabbit is super fun, but I don't think I've fully figured her out yet. I usually take stuff that keys off having a big stack of blades, and then work up blade-oriented skills that don't require actually casting Blades Out often.

I still think I'm a stronger player with the bird (especially after months of playing it exclusively), but it plays so much differently from the other characters that I'm almost having to re-learn how to play now.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Where did you see the new price? I just see that there's an increase coming in the notes.

$12 is far too cheap for this game, so a price increase before 1.0 is definitely warranted. But if the developers decide to go with AAA game pricing, I don't think it will go well for them.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fishstick posted:

Anyone have any tips for making it past nightmare more consistently?

I have a decent grasp on most heroes but most success with Tao, especially the bloom based builds. I can't get bird to work for me at all but he's supposedly real tanky? FWIW I have maxed the hero talents but not all of the generic talents

The key to survivability with the bird is to take the Ascensions that restore armor on melee attacks and leaps. When you get low on armor, you just punch something or leap at them. The leap also works on barrels -- even if you don't hit an enemy, you still restore armor.0

You'll also want Ascensions that increase primary/secondary charges and/or reduce cooldown times.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Evil Kit posted:

Double posting because Bird is worth it: the only build worth doing as Bird is the Cleave build. :bird: :black101:

Agreed, but it doesn't really shine unless you can find the Easy Kill ascension early in a run.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Turin Turambar posted:

Also, if WhiteHowler, creator of the thread, could update the title, it would be nice.

I'll ask a mod to change it.

I still have the game installed, but my co-op group has moved back to Deep Rock Galactic with the new updates in that game. I'd be happy to update the OP, but I'm not up to date on the new changes.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I updated the OP with the new heroes and removed everything related to Early Access.

As for the thread title, there are like half a dozen mods, and I don't know any of them anymore and have no idea who's active or who wants to be bothered with it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
As a heads up, someone is speedrunning Gunfire Reborn tonight at Summer Games Done Quick.

The category is "Qing Yan - Full Game - Reincarnation 1". There's currently an incentive goal to bump it up to Reincarnation 8.

I'm not familiar with the particular runner, but it'll probably be a fun watch.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I played through runs with each of the new characters this evening.

Owl is cool. I don't get his card system at all, but just mashing the secondary skill when I run out of cards, and the primary skill when I feel like it, he was still pretty good.

Red Panda is broken. I never really got a decent weapon build going, but the mech basically wrecked everything with only a few points put into its ascensions. You can have him do your work for you, and sit back and launch a neverending stream of high-damage missiles if he runs into an elite.

These were both on Expert, I'll push it higher once I remember how to play again.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I don't understand the red panda's shoulder missiles. The first run I did with her, I was able to hold down the secondary button and launch a stream of missiles. On my run just now, I never got this option despite taking multiple levels in the ascension that seems to do this. It only ever fired one missile.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Exodee posted:

IIRC the ascension for this only has one level, so you probably didn't get the right one. Did you maybe confuse it with the one that's for birbbot's missile barrage?

Probably.

I love this game but the descriptions of most of the abilities are hot garbage.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
There's another ascension that says something like "can fire 4/8/12 missiles", so I took that and still don't understand what it did.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I'm totally okay with this. DRG is one of the all-time greats, and it's actually what ultimately pulled my group away from Gunfire Reborn.

They're also making a Vampire Survivors-like, which I'm also okay with.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Shifty Pony posted:

Roguelikes are about the ideal way for me to play since having a kid, so I welcome it.

Even in stock Deep Rock Galactic, the missions are extremely short. Rarely more than 20-25 minutes unless you're doing a multi-mission Deep Dive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I can't imagine DRG solo being nearly as much fun as running with a team, but probably half of my time in Gunfire Reborn is solo and it works well.