Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Game is great! Excited to try out the new character.

There are definitely some scrolls which seem to lead to broken runs more often than others (eg penetration shot + hawkeye + anything else). The last 2-3 times we've made it to the final boss on elite as a duo it has been with weapon combos which just completely dumpster everything. I feel like Elite difficulty really hits the right level of challenge/reward for me -- it makes even hallway fights somewhat challenging, and makes it so much easier to get crazy combos going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
The bird dude is great! I’m very bad at him still, but I love that they made a character with such a different playstyle.

WhiteHowler posted:

Out of curiosity, what are peoples' favorite weapons?

I know weapon choice will vary based on the inscriptions that drop, but what are your go-to weapons if they're available with good rolls?

I really like the glimmering with extra projectiles, it’s just so satisfying.

Probably the most broken combo I’ve gotten has been the laser glove with penetration shot/hawkeye/elemental ascensions/the extra damage per hit in last few seconds scroll. It just deletes stuff so quickly. But not actually that fun of a gun for me, kind of prefer the ones with slower rof (although ones like the scalpel can feel so rewarding when you control recoil well).

I gotta say that I really don’t get the shotguns - they seem too weak to do very much. Same with piercing flame - it just seems so weak stats wise and handles annoyingly.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

SaffronKit posted:

Also fun fact, kung fu Birb is totally immune to damage while Leaping. Source: me jumping through various traps and enemy fire while taking 0 damage. He'll be the easiest hero to get the "Take no damage in a Trap Room" achievement if you care about those.

This is great. I need to get more comfortable with his abilities and figure out the right ascensions to be taking, his abilities are so much fun.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

WhiteHowler posted:

I finally beat the final boss.

I was using Qing Yan, but the available ascensions weren't great for melee offense, so I kept boosting his leap recovery (armor and cooldown). I found an amazing Scalpel after the first boss, with tons of crit damage, plus the inscription that adds a stacking crit bonus after landing 4 crits in a second - which is so easy to do with the Scalpel. I think it was +6 or +7 by the end.

Then I picked up the "punch through shields/armor on crit" scroll, and it was mostly a cakewalk from there. The only enemies I had trouble with were ones with a small crit area - mainly Octopus and those charging jerks in act 2.

Final boss was a pushover since it was so easy to crit, and I could instantly recover my armor whenever I took a hit.

I'm looking forward to using the new stuff I unlocked, though I don't think I'm quite ready for Elite yet.

I'd at least try a single run of Elite! The extra rewards can actually end up making it not that much harder than normal.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Yeah I tried to make cleave work and it just doesn’t feel like it scales. Even with 1000 extra damage from the ascension it just didn’t feel relevant by late game since I didn’t have any way to generate more feathers easily. Leap seems so good though, you just end up so mobile and with so much healing. Especially with paranormality it’s crazy.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
It seems like the biggest issue is that a level 3 ascension wing required to make cleave viable means that it just isn’t, and that sort of needs to get fixed first imo. I guess it’s somewhat similar to issues with grenade builds, but I’ve never actually tried to do a grenade build with either of the other two characters so idk how that would feel.

More ascension control would also be helpful though, it seems like it would make it easier to balance ascensions. I wouldn’t want it to get to the point where your build isn’t being dictated at least somewhat by the rng (eg where you can force the same build every time), but it seems like there should be a good balance that could be found.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Ciaphas posted:

Picked this up on a lark the other day. This feels great to play, though I'm not sure how I feel about the metaprogression trees yet. Only played a half dozen games though, and not beat Lu Bu Wu or whatever yet, so we'll see

Abuse the two pillars super hard on Lu Bu and he becomes 1000% easier! The meta progress which I felt mattered the most was the character specific bonuses - they can be super impactful in a way the others generally aren’t. You end up with those filled out fairly quickly though in my experience.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
At least later on, it's such a small amount that you can almost always earn it back with a second life (unless you're about to get bopped by a boss and just die right away).

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Harminoff posted:

Took my girl and I like 15 hours to beat Lu Bu Wu. We can usually every run now, but took us forever to figure out for some reason.

Only made it to the second boss a few times, but still really enjoying the game and usually play a few hours every week at least.

At the start before you figure out his patterns/how to damage him he seems incredibly hard. He's also harder imo in duo than in single play. But yeah, once you crack him he becomes super easy.

The second boss the key is to get close to him, so it's easier to stay ahead of his beams in the first phase. We kept getting killed by him in the first phase over and over until we realized this.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
OK so wow the cleave build totally can work under the right circumstances, y'all right. In a 3 player game I stacked 1000 bonus damage, had the +200% base damage, and the +150% skill damage after leap, and it just wrecked people. The last stage of the final biome was basically just "leap to enemies, kill all of them in 1-2 cleaves, leap to the next group and repeat". I didn't realize that you could hit the second phase of the boss with cleave at first, but once I realized that the boss also died incredibly fast. I think what also helped was having enough extra secondary capacity stuff to have 24 max stacks -- I never got the cleave regen ascension, but buying from the peddler would get you pretty far. You also do need a team who is down to sort of let you farm the last hits a little bit on enemies to get the really high base damage.

e: also the ascension which increases first shot damage + the occult scroll which increases first shot damage results in some really insane glimmering damage since every shot is a first shot.

tildes fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 31, 2020

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Xaris posted:

Hmm ok I found I couldn't strafe out of it. Infact I straight up just had a time where the round started and he immediately swept me with his beam and pretty much 1-shot me almost instantly. I found I couldn't put enough distance to the left or right where he couldn't still sweep me.

You probably aren’t close enough to him yet - run straight towards him ASAP. The first several times we got to this boss we were confused why a boss which just insta kills you was in the game, but once you get used to getting close it gets way easier.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Oh yea adding hold to shoot would be so much nicer, dual wielding feels awkward enough that dog has never really clicked with me. I have to really choose weapons based on similar shooting mechanics for it not to feel awkward.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Xaris posted:

Am I missing something with building The Cat or is Dog really just that much more powerful? Whats the trick to making Cat work well? Feels bad when I just get nothing but smoke options but not the good smoke option (-damage dealt/+damage received)

Just stack general elemental damage increases and 1-2 specific type(s) of elemental damage increase. You can end up with pretty crazy damage pretty quickly. I actually feel like the cat is the easiest to build to really strong so far if you just go for a build not relying on their abilities at all.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Turin Turambar posted:

I reached the second area of Duo Fjord.

I have to say that now I'm starting to think the game needs some other difficulty between Normal and Elite. Now the game only has challenge once I reach Desert 3, it seems to me there will be a big gap in between the two difficulties, the metaprogression is a bit too strong to make the game equally interesting at both the first location and the last one.

Elite isn’t that much harder than Normal on balance imo - it also ramps up rewards so much that it has usually felt pretty achievable even tho enemy difficulty is jacked up quite a bit. I’d definitely try it out once you’re passing normal - I think it gives a lot more potential for crazy builds to come together.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Im_Special posted:

These guys are so dumb, their game keeps getting cheaper as the game gets better instead of more expensive.

Alt: their game gets cheaper as they run through the people with higher willingness to pay for it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Im_Special posted:

Alt2: Get game as in as many hands as possible, then completely F the game's balance over with the v1.0 release, but fixed by adding loads of Pay2Win DLC that you pretty much now need to just beat normal. Souls can only be acquired with real cash via micro-transactions with terrible conversion rates, ie. buy thing in game for 600, 1200 souls, they can only be bought in 500 increments. Devious, and quite genius actually.

But seriously I keep seeing their game getting cheaper over time with deeper discounts then the last and normally EA games increase in price as scope and quality go up. I just want these guys to make more bank then they currently are because they deserve it. (and secretly so they can hire some random from reddit to fix the bunnies mouth.)

Yeah, it is true that it definitely feels underpriced for how much you get out of it. Very glad they seem to have hit the insane volume of sales which probably means they will be set either way and can keep developing, though I don’t have a great sense of how big they actually are/how high their expenses are.