Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Aquila posted:

Are there any guides out there for builds in reincarnation difficulty, preferably non-video? Lately in multiplayer everyone else is doing approximately 100x more damage than me.

sorry that it's video, but imo this dude's guides are pretty good, and better than most videos in that if you have a decent grasp of the character you can generally read/interpret the tier lists without needing to watch the whole video (watching specific parts if you're curious why a particular skill is/isn't recommended)

and unlike most things tier lists are also probably the best way to approach "builds" for this game since your options in any given run are always different and the value of certain options is highly contextual (and the breadth of your meaningful choices varies quite a bit character to character)

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

Fox is capital B Busted. What an absolutely dumb character lol, probably the only thing holding her back is to do extreme damage early you're gonna need to ignore defensive options. Even then though if everything is dead nothing can hurt you.

Fishstick posted:

Fox is just not fun to play with friends because you can pretty much pick any ascensions at random and you'll still delete entire levels without having to use your gun, leaving your coop buddies standing around doing nothing. Its not fun for anyone even on R8.

I'd argue the main thing holding her back is in fact that she's squishy, which matters way less in multiplayer than it does solo. She'll end up doing extreme damage anyway, so I've actually been prioritizing defensive picks over damage (within reason ofc), with the exception of Flare Calling and Conflagration as goblet picks since they seem to be big in getting her mojo going.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

DNK posted:

I love the fact that Monkey gets to really abuse some of the (otherwise) worst primary weapons in the game. Like Wild Hunt is hot trash on basically everyone except Monkey. And Bone Dragon / Tiger Cannon are craaaazy when you never need to reload. I’ve never even considered ROF of Tiger Cannon to ever be a meaningful stat before.

eh, I'd be careful dismissing those guns as the "worst" in the same manner as, say, Talisman's lackluster DPS

while they're definitely not good by default, it's not because they don't have anything going for them, it's because their strong aspects are offset by severe drawbacks (magazine size most prominently)

but the thing is that the game gives you the tools to potentially get around those limitations, so you should always be keeping them in mind - Wild Hunt is potentially one of the most OP options for pretty much every character (who isn't going in hard on weapon-type specific ascensions like a Lei Luo sniper build), as the small magazine and long reload reduce it to about ~1/6 of its potential DPS, meaning that if you can offset or eliminate that drawback you'll do completely bonkers damage

Advanced Depot or the ammo pool Gemini are the most obvious universal methods, but something like Deft Hands can do in a pinch, especially when combined with some premium normal inscriptions (+60% ammo size, -reload time, +accuracy and range - if you ever see those 3 in combination on a Wild Hunt I'd *strongly* consider you give the gun a try)

I do dumpster most Wild Hunts I come across (as I do most weapons), and its undeniable that its lower tier because of the extra stuff it takes to make it really work vs. something like an Illusion or Pupil, but if you have that stuff you're definitely getting big returns and more than just a replacement-level option out of it (which is what separates it from something like Talisman, a weapon that doesn't have anything that lets it "go off" vs. the alternatives)

that said, having more support be in ascensions is really nice since it greatly increases the odds that you can actually make use of such a weapon (previously I think Qing Yan's Hail of Bullets was the only ascension that enabled Wild Hunt)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MMAgCh posted:

On Turtle, is there any real point to going all-in on anything other than punching? The other classes at least have a couple of distinct and worthwhile paths to go down, but Turtle's support for non-Striking Punch builds seems middling at best.

you can also just go in on aspis and pair it with like... anything at all gun or weapon-wise

your aspis defensive options are... we'll say "strong," and for offense ascensions you've got things like Hostile Gift + Formidable Aspis + Wave Rider + Tidal Rythm that are all pretty agnostic about what you're doing

then you've got a bunch of talents that want you at short range but don't necessarily need you to be leaning on punching for your damage (i.e. Unbearable Hurtle + Irrepressible Surge + Battle Adrenaline + Solid Shell) and which can be leveraged with melee weapons or short ranged shotguns (Concussive Current is also worth a mention as a punch talent primarily used to juice your sword/shotgun)

there's also a really fun damage reflect build built around the Backfire spiritual blessing in conjunction with White Water (also plays extremely well with hurtle stuff)

that's not to say that punching everything isn't fun and good and that Qian Sui's kit doesn't encourage you to get up in people's faces, but that's far from the only or even necessarily best way to play him

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

LordAdakos posted:

I played this a while ago, and then my progress got wiped out.

So starting from scratch, can anyone give me a tl;Dr of the most impactful changes since the super early days of this game?

I think I stopped playing when cat and dog were the only characters. Maybe bird but idk that I ever used it if it was even ever unlocked

there's a lot

the core gameplay loop is the same, but there are going to be quite a few differences in how it plays out

there's a 4th act, every act except the 4th has two potential bosses, some level geometry changed, new monsters, a lot of new weapons + scrolls, a bunch of new characters, ascensions are different, talents are different, relatively balance of all of that stuff is different, probably some stuff I'm forgetting like the random room challenges?

the biggest difference would be the end-game Reincarnation difficulty, which is beyond Nightmare and then has 8 separate difficulty sub-levels to unlock, as well as a variety of new mechanics that let you spend meta-currency on things like powerful spiritual blessings (basically like ascensions that range in power from "very nice to have" to "build enabling/defining") before each of the first 3 acts, enhanced weapons and occult scrolls from a separate phantom peddler, etc. (these bonuses are strong enough that at least the first few levels of reincarnation are actually a fair bit easier than Nightmare and tend to be good for farming spiritual essence if/when that's a concern)

e: they also just added some stuff that changes up Reincarnation via optional mutators, the first gives out a lot of potential buffs unlocked by combining certain scrolls/ascensions/weapons and the second of which makes act 4 harder (but unlocks a spiritual blessing dude for act 4 that can replace one of your 3 or let you buy a 3rd if you didn't take one in a previous act

e2: vvvv can't believe I forgot that, a fantastic example of stuff I'm forgetting b/c it's just so seemingly fundamental vvvv

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 23, 2022

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah I commented it a few days ago. The fact they have removed the Gemini inscription which was about swapping weapons and using both says a lot of how strong is the meta. Instead of removing the Gemini inscription, I wish they would have attacked the root cause.

There were a lot of root causes making that particular gemini bad though, and making weapon swapping viable in general would require a rethink of their whole approach to weapon scaling/upgrading, which frankly is far a big ask for a single gemini that's always been lackluster (iirc). That gemini has been an odd-man-out for a long time, because all of the others are fairly obvious/intuitive in how they can be used with certain kinds of weapons to passively juice the hell out of your main weapon damage, while the swap gemini involved much higher effort to access finnicky on-death triggers that often can't help you when you need them most vs. bosses and still gave you lower returns before even taking the totally hosed scaling of needing two upgraded weapons OR the requirement for using low ROF/high damage weapons into account. The meta and game generally would need to be really, really, really different for that effect to be anything but bad (at least until you start getting into clearly absurd multipliers).

That said, I do think they can/should rework a new weapon swap gemini, since they do have things that trigger off of or benefit from that behavior that are often under-utilized past Act 1 and there's no reason they couldn't make a good/competitive gemini around it - i.e. pattern it off of Ao Bai's Weapon Genius spiritual blessing and make the paired weapons share their highest upgrade level + some sort of substantial bonus for periodic swapping you can build around (so it appeals to characters who aren't non-Weapon Genius Ao Bai players).

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

explosivo posted:

I never tried All or Nothing because it seemed like far too much of a risk since I'm always jumping in without realizing I'm out of cleave charges or something. That does sound cool though. I'm still bouncing between bird and lightning cat (??) as my two favorite classes right now.

the trick with All or Nothing (which is in fact quite good) is that the armor regen from Leap occurs immediately after All or Nothing uses up all your armor so you get a big damage burst and any benefits from armor break (most notably Last Stand and/or Nova Shockwave) without actually (effectively) taking yourself down to raw HP

this means that a single level of Regen Hit turns All or Nothing from a high risk move into a fairly safe one (especially with other defensive Leap ascensions), and two levels means it is all upside - the difference is so stark that I'd essentially consider that level of Regen Hit a pre-requisite for taking All or Nothing

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

I don't really see it. His lack of movement speed is a massive detriment to survival and 2/3 of his exclusive blessings radically shore up his limitations such that giving them up is way too much of a handicap. If you can make it past act 2, you're probably in the clear, but getting to that point is one hell of a hurdle.

R1 isn't particularly hard and its *very* easy for prince to clear the first act since he can guarantee himself high damage elemental combos with any decent lightning or fire weapon (and tombs imo movement speed is less important in act 1 than in subsequent acts due to the ease with which you can break los in most rooms/etc.), though I'll agree that crown prince wouldn't be my personal pick for the reasons you list + not particularly impressive defensive ascensions

and also because (imo) the best way to get that achievement in the fewest runs is to abuse the spore gemini with a high damage shotgun (offhand) + injector (mainhand) since you 100% don't need spiritual blessings to stay above the curve with damage and can favor defensive scrolls/ascensions - get (or reroll until you get) an argus as your starting weapon and it basically just becomes a matter of not dying stupidly in the longling tombs

LGD fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

My two cents on the weapon situation in the game: I'm an ability build bitch so I don't typically focus on finding really good weapons early, I just pick up and swap out weapons till about end of Desert while keeping an eye out for a solid inscription combo on a weapon I like. I typically go out of my way to experiment cause the guns in the game continue to surprise me with how effective you can find one when you have the right build.

Picking up a weapon to slam upgrades into very early is a consistent way to win, but IMO boring and not very fun. If you can't etch a Gemini inscription onto a weapon as the weaponsmith's etch, it's too early to overinvest imo. Just how I feel though, sometimes you hit a god weapon early.

that's definitely my approach, sometimes you get the nuts early but generally speaking you don't need your final weapon until after the act 2 boss, and you get some really good combos that way

you do not remotely need level 30 weapons to clear R8 with weapon based builds, and proper gemini inscriptions can make up for a lot of missing weapon levels, and if you want to be boring some are at least as consistent as forcing an early drop (spore gemini)

I do wonder if some peoples' experiences vary depending on whether they're playing solo and/or how many people they're playing with though - i.e. the appeal of the shared elemental gemini falls of significantly with more players because of how miasma scales + being able to inflict your own decay for explosions becomes less urgent with more players

e: in fact, you don't need a weapon on R8 Mysterious Jokul at all - level 29 demonlore with essentially infinite ammo, full stacks, high explosive proc chance, etc. and it's not even worth the effort to pull the trigger :v:

https://i.imgur.com/6RitOqB.mp4

(lol Nona is ridiculous, though admittedly this is with a lot of the mech/missile ascensions + blessings)

LGD fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 14, 2023