Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I picked up this game + DLC on sale to play with a buddy. Haven't gotten far in but so far I'm enjoying it and it seems like a good fit for our "low stakes, about an hour of play while chatting" play style.

Is there anything to watch out for when starting out in the Talent trees? I know some games can have seemingly good choices that are actually useless or even make gameplay less fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Love me some brick I'll tell you what.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Roguelikes are about the ideal way for me to play since having a kid, so I welcome it.

I'm hoping it keeps at least the biomes from the base game because the sameness of the acts in Gunfire is my main complaint about it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That's just how online co-op games work though, Gunfire is the same way but with 1hr runs (but you can take a knee when you clear a room).

DRG has suffered from some in-mission event bloat though. Sure you don't have to do every event you come across in a mission but in co-op it is very likely someone will smash the button. That can make quick mission drag a bit.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

WhiteHowler posted:

I can't imagine DRG solo being nearly as much fun as running with a team, but probably half of my time in Gunfire Reborn is solo and it works well.

Yeah the mechanics of DRG are very tailored to co-op, while Gunfire's co-op feels more punishing and less cooperative. Both are fun games, just different games with different mechanics that alter how suited each is for co-op vs single player.

I will say that gunfire's scaling feels pretty lovely for co-op. It just makes everything a sponge as far as I can tell. DRG has some damage scaling but primarily goes with spawn rate, which works well since DRG has a lot more emphasis on crowd control and AOE weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just the option to randomize the order of the environments after you manage a clear would be great.