Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

my hands have poor controller support because 90% of my gaming time over my whole life has been on PC, and therefore my tiny anime waifu hands don't know what the gently caress to do whenever i pick up a controller

even today i tried to play MCH in FFXIV with a controller cause the aoe button spam makes my wrist hurt for some reason but i am so out of whack with trying to do anything as simple as target an enemy, that i have given up completely'

and it doesn't help that games can't even be consistent with button mapping, so my brain doesn't even know what button is supposed to do what other than A = Jump but sometimes B is jump and sometimes its A = attack but A is in the place where B should be and then dont' get me started on X and Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FFXIV has easy to use but difficult to learn controller support. I wouldn't consider that evidence of you being bad at controllers, it just doesn't explain itself well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Games with avatars should intuitively default to the puppeteer system for face buttons: bottom button for feet-related actions, top for head-related actions (potentially including menus) and the two middle buttons for arm-related actions

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Pirate Jet posted:

Is hardware chat cool?

Are there any Intel motherboards that are using PCI Express 4.0? Seems like they're skipping it entirely and waiting for 5.0. I've been out of the PC building game for seven years now but I finally have a job where it's affordable again, and now I hear AMD processors are actually quite good and not the flaming garbage heap they were back when I was still building PCs, but I had such bad experiences with them I'm still a little nervous about switching to Ryzen.

Short answer. No.
Intel have been having huge manufacturing issues which is compounded by them sitting on their arse for the last 10 years as they barely had any competition.

If you want the absolute best gaming rig, Intel still wins the fps battles at the highest end. But want something that's more bang for buck? Or want to do mutli tasking stuff like video/photo editing etc? Go ryzen. They are excellent now.

From the pc builder thread

quote:

For almost all systems an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 is the correct choice currently, offering excellent price/performance and excellent performance overall. For budget or very high end systems there are other choices, but expect to get a 3600 until the 4600 comes out or Intel makes serious changes to their product stack / gets 10nm sorted out

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 22, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Kerrzhe posted:

my hands have poor controller support because 90% of my gaming time over my whole life has been on PC, and therefore my tiny anime waifu hands don't know what the gently caress to do whenever i pick up a controller

even today i tried to play MCH in FFXIV with a controller cause the aoe button spam makes my wrist hurt for some reason but i am so out of whack with trying to do anything as simple as target an enemy, that i have given up completely'

and it doesn't help that games can't even be consistent with button mapping, so my brain doesn't even know what button is supposed to do what other than A = Jump but sometimes B is jump and sometimes its A = attack but A is in the place where B should be and then dont' get me started on X and Y

the honest answer is that learning a new control scheme esp when youre so used to another one will just t ake time. until your muscle memory begins working at a lvl where seeing the various prompts = a movement u will get confused about what button is jump etc bcos that is also something that is really endemic w pc control schemes but once you know intuitively where keys are it stops mattering as much. ganbatte i believe in u

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Shameful admission: I used to play inverted

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
i still do on pad

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mega Comrade posted:

Short answer. No.
Intel have been having huge manufacturing issues which is compounded by them sitting on their arse for the last 10 years as they barely had any competition.

If you want the absolute best gaming rig, Intel still wins the fps battles at the highest end. But want something that's more bang for buck? Or want to do mutli tasking stuff like video/photo editing etc? Go ryzen. They are excellent now.

From the pc builder thread

the intel/AMD seesaw finally inverted again, hallelujah

Rinkles posted:

:same:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I decide whether to play controller or kb+m almost entirely based on whether it's a 1st or 3rd person camera view. 3rd person is controller with inverted x. 1st person is kb+m with no inversions

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

3rd person is controller with inverted x.

:staredog:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I can see it, it’s like you directly move the camera behind the dude instead of aiming the viewport

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
More importantly that's how every PS2 jrpg did it's controls and that's how I learned it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah it's funny how the brain works that either can be intuitive

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
inverted vert is only intuitive to people who played very early pad fps where inverted y was inexplicably the default every single time and now i can never change, and further i also refuse to change

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Hi, I built a new PC this week. It’s the second one I’ve ever built, and it has not been as fun this time around. I’m now dealing with wireless adapter issues, and I’m now waiting for tomorrow morning so I can risk an in store pickup for a new one.

I just want to play some games :( well, a game...FFXIV

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

you mean to say there's people that don't? and now you don't either?

hosed up if true op

ymgve posted:

I can see it, it’s like you directly move the camera behind the dude instead of aiming the viewport

you're moving the head/eyes with your mouse. if you move the head back, you look up. :v:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Awesome Animals posted:

Hi, I built a new PC this week. It’s the second one I’ve ever built, and it has not been as fun this time around. I’m now dealing with wireless adapter issues, and I’m now waiting for tomorrow morning so I can risk an in store pickup for a new one.

I just want to play some games :( well, a game...FFXIV

How's your electrical wiring in your house? I'm personally a massive fan of powerline network adapters over wireless.

No drivers needed, no interference from things like microwaves, no issue with distance.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PC gaming is better than Steam.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Truga posted:

you mean to say there's people that don't? and now you don't either?

hosed up if true op

you're moving the head/eyes with your mouse. if you move the head back, you look up. :v:

That’s inverted Y. They were talking about inverted X.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

more like pc laming

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Call Your Grandma posted:

more like pc laming

Mods???

As in, what mods are people currently using to enjoy their PC games?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

exquisite tea posted:

Mods???

As in, what mods are people currently using to enjoy their PC games?

None of my games are allowed to touch code that wasn't hand crafted by the developers. Dirty, dirty code.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

whats a pc

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm a pc

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Andrast posted:

whats a pc

not much whats a pc with you

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

problematic cretin

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Do you guys think a 4900x and RTX 3090 will be enough to play solitaire? I don't know much about these things it's my first build please go easy on me :)

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Mega Comrade posted:

How's your electrical wiring in your house? I'm personally a massive fan of powerline network adapters over wireless.

No drivers needed, no interference from things like microwaves, no issue with distance.

I considered that when we moved, but opted for a wireless mesh. I’m actually hoping to spend some money down the line to get network drops throughout the condo. The mesh has worked out pretty well, and the wireless adapter was a hardware issue

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I have an old rear end laptop with an integrated Intel Graphics Card which struggles to play Minecraft or even something small like an indie game with the Unity engine. Thought I would never use it for gaming.

Decided to try Geforce Now with it, only to find that this laptop didn't have a 5G wifi access. So I ended up ordering a 5G usb, which actually works with it and I was able to get Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and a host of other stuff running on it without any major input lag or issues.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mega Comrade posted:

I've been using one of these for a couple years now and I kind of hate it. Compared to a normal wired connection I lose a lot of bandwidth and it also randomly drops the connection. Better than wireless probably but I was expecting more since my friends all rave about them. My house isn't that old so I don't think it's my wiring but not like I'm smart enough to know for sure.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
the tilting things is why its inverted thing never makes sense bcos its always a single axis and not both and its simply just whatever was the default on games u played as a stupid kid

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't use motion controls unless they're inverted

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Ahem, I was a smart kid, so my settings are obviously correct. Unfortunately, I’m a stupid adult so I cannot tell you what those settings are

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

MMF Freeway posted:

I've been using one of these for a couple years now and I kind of hate it. Compared to a normal wired connection I lose a lot of bandwidth and it also randomly drops the connection. Better than wireless probably but I was expecting more since my friends all rave about them.
Same. They're unreliable, the connection dies constantly, and the throughput isn't anywhere close to what I would get from a proper network cable. They're fine in an apartment, but if your house actually has multiple storeys, you're mostly better off not using them.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

I've been using one of these for a couple years now and I kind of hate it. Compared to a normal wired connection I lose a lot of bandwidth and it also randomly drops the connection. Better than wireless probably but I was expecting more since my friends all rave about them. My house isn't that old so I don't think it's my wiring but not like I'm smart enough to know for sure.

I've been using them about 15 years across probably 6 places and each house is different but at worst I've lost is about 20% bandwidth, current place is about less than 5%. I had one house were the wiring was dodgy on a single part of the house so had to use wireless there but overall ive found them to be better than wireless for my needs.

Unless you bought some super cheap ones it's likely you just got unlucky with your wiring, I generally recommend people buy them on something like amazon so they can test them and if they don't work out return them easily.
If you don't need super responsive ping for things like fighting games, a modern wifi mesh system might work better for your needs, sadly the good ones arnt cheap though.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 22, 2020

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I overclocked my processor (i7-6700k 4.0GHZ) to 4.4GHZ yesterday, and everything seems to be working fine, but sometimes when I play Death Stranding my entire computer will just lock up. I don't get the BSOD or anything, the game just freezes on whatever frame it's on and I have to completely reset my computer to get out of it.

I'm monitoring my CPU's performance and it has never been stressed out when the crashes happen- the temperatures are normal and the load is like 60%-70%. It's only happened in Death Stranding so far- is there an easy way to tell if my issues are a result of the overclock or is the game just prone to crashing? I looked in the Event Viewer but nothing jumped out at me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fadam posted:

I overclocked my processor (i7-6700k 4.0GHZ) to 4.4GHZ yesterday, and everything seems to be working fine, but sometimes when I play Death Stranding my entire computer will just lock up. I don't get the BSOD or anything, the game just freezes on whatever frame it's on and I have to completely reset my computer to get out of it.

I'm monitoring my CPU's performance and it has never been stressed out when the crashes happen- the temperatures are normal and the load is like 60%-70%. It's only happened in Death Stranding so far- is there an easy way to tell if my issues are a result of the overclock or is the game just prone to crashing? I looked in the Event Viewer but nothing jumped out at me.

Yeah put it back to normal and see if it still does it.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’m no computer hardware expert but could it be gpu related?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Freezes like that are a pretty common overclock crash, probably because the CPU isn't getting enough power. Try adjusting the voltage by increments of .01 and keep running benchmarks like 3D Mark until you get a stable overclock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks fellas.