Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Something like prime95 can help stress test too without having to load up random games.
For gpu use furmark and unigine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

fadam posted:

I overclocked my processor (i7-6700k 4.0GHZ) to 4.4GHZ yesterday, and everything seems to be working fine, but sometimes when I play Death Stranding my entire computer will just lock up. I don't get the BSOD or anything, the game just freezes on whatever frame it's on and I have to completely reset my computer to get out of it.

I'm monitoring my CPU's performance and it has never been stressed out when the crashes happen- the temperatures are normal and the load is like 60%-70%. It's only happened in Death Stranding so far- is there an easy way to tell if my issues are a result of the overclock or is the game just prone to crashing? I looked in the Event Viewer but nothing jumped out at me.

Raise your vcore in bios (smallest possible increment at a time!) , it needs more juice

You will get slightly higher temps under load but that's just what happens as a consequence of feeding it more power.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Raise your vcore in bios (smallest possible increment at a time!) , it needs more juice

You will get slightly higher temps under load but that's just what happens as a consequence of feeding it more power.

Also make sure to set the adaptive voltage to give the CPU more headroom only when it needs it vs. running at a fixed voltage and generating heat unnecessarily.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It’s weird, I’m reading online that people with this processor are able to get like 4.6GHZ with Vcore set to 1.3xx V but to get 4.5 to work without crashing Cinebench I had to go all the way up to 1.4 V. Is this just a silicon thing, or is there more to the process I’m missing than changing VCore and Ratio values?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
When it comes to computer tweaking, in my experience, things are almost always rosier on the internet than in practice

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Also there are people who buy several processors to find one that stays stable when overclocked a bunch, and sending back the ones that didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve always figured that people claiming to get extremely good overclocking results at low voltages are either lying or not testing for stability. Bin lottery only goes so far.