Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Moon Slayer posted:

I simply play the game on Windows.

Cool story

Anyway, the crashes were not solved and also that mod dont fix them completely, I had one yesterday after some hours of playing. They are rare now, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Haven't played in almost 2 years, thought I'd try it again in Ireland in the early ages, and why the gently caress is Sudreyar so loving strong? They just steamrolled Scotland, and then turned on me. 10k+ men, bunch of Huscarls. Yes, I have alliances - England and Brittany - and even with them I get up to 6-7k, and nowhere near enough Men at Arms.

I guess I'm asking for advice about how to start as an Irish chieftain, because I feel like I'm at a loss. Is there something I'm missing? Would sending a hostage to Ivar do anything? What is the fastest way to feudalize?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the other crashes on mac for me were for spurious scar attribute events, because pdx didn't fix them all when they changed scarring. so i grepped and edited those events and have 40 hours crash free so far

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Friar John posted:

Haven't played in almost 2 years, thought I'd try it again in Ireland in the early ages, and why the gently caress is Sudreyar so loving strong? They just steamrolled Scotland, and then turned on me. 10k+ men, bunch of Huscarls. Yes, I have alliances - England and Brittany - and even with them I get up to 6-7k, and nowhere near enough Men at Arms.

I guess I'm asking for advice about how to start as an Irish chieftain, because I feel like I'm at a loss. Is there something I'm missing? Would sending a hostage to Ivar do anything? What is the fastest way to feudalize?

ireland 1066 is the tutorial. ireland 867 is a hell of norse raiders because norse are buffed to hell, the pdx peeps being swedish

i usually just become their vassals

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the other crashes on mac for me were for spurious scar attribute events, because pdx didn't fix them all when they changed scarring. so i grepped and edited those events and have 40 hours crash free so far

I don’t know if that’s the same on linux. In my experience, it’s completely random, nothing to do with scars

You click on something (usually a character, but not always) and the game just crashes. You can restart the game and click on the same thing and it will not crash. Than some more hours and it might crash while clicking something else

That’s how it is for me. And I got that in 2 different computers, with different hardware and different distros (both using nvidia, though)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Which events were those, I'd like to have a look and see if I can address my own (fairly infrequent) crashing issues

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Change to the beta branch by using ExperimentalToTheMacs as the beta access code. It has been pretty reliable at fixing the osx crashes that I've been having for the last 4-5 months.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Magil Zeal posted:

Which events were those, I'd like to have a look and see if I can address my own (fairly infrequent) crashing issues

I don't remember, I just grepped

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Looking at all of the events that incluede the "scarred" trait I'm not sure why any of these would cause a crash but I'll change the few that don't seem to have been changed for the DLC (easy to compare to those that were) and see how it goes

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I finally did this on my Eudes of Anjou playthrough. Goddamn the last 10% was miserable whack a mole.

But now that that's out of the way 100% feels like it might be eventually doable. Mother of Us All feels like it may be way less grindy with the new mass convert after holy legend. We'll see eventually.

Cheevos earned this run: Kings to the Seventh Generation, Divine Right, Legendary, Pay Respects, You'll Never Take Me Alive, Canonized, Frankokratia, Can't Touch This, A True and Perfect Knight, A Knight's Tale, Sir Lance-a-Lot, The Iron and Golden King, Above God, Lingua Franca, Black Dinner.

I accidentally discovered a loophole for 'A Knight's Tale' which is if you throw a tournament during an apocalyptic plague nobody will show up and the game will generate 8 random lowborn knights which you can just recruit all of them and then land the winner. That was way easier than watching my 43 prowess unlanded champion constantly lose to 7 prowess counts somehow.

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023
The head of my religion likes me so much he gave me a claim on Hungary. I'm playing as Sardinia. Is it worth pursuing the claim despite all the penalties I'd get for different culture, language, etcetera? I've got three sons, so I know I'll need some new territories to prevent Sardinia from fracturing after my queen dies, I just don't really know how to do it. Should I stick closer to home and try to get some parts of Italy to give to my non-heirs?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Here's a neat little tool for generating CoAs from images. It seems to turn the pixels of the uploaded image into colored block CoA objects. Once generated you copy the code and paste it into the CoA designer.

https://perondas.github.io/

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

cheat at solitaire posted:

The head of my religion likes me so much he gave me a claim on Hungary. I'm playing as Sardinia. Is it worth pursuing the claim despite all the penalties I'd get for different culture, language, etcetera? I've got three sons, so I know I'll need some new territories to prevent Sardinia from fracturing after my queen dies, I just don't really know how to do it. Should I stick closer to home and try to get some parts of Italy to give to my non-heirs?

Invade em, give it to a son and let a cadet house figure it out

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Some minor bugs and quibbles with legitimacy, no surprises here. Secluding yourself doesn't warn that you'll take a legit hit until after you've pressed the button. And you can marry commoners if you get them into your court first, 'find a spouse' for THEM, and select yourself; marriage fires off w/o any penalties. 'Arrange marriage' doesn't work, was using polygamy if that made any difference.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Legitimacy needs some help -- permanently at the lowest legitimacy despite being an emperor because apparently marrying commoners as second, third, and fourth wives is just uncool? -300 -- each --is a huge hit.

How do you actually raise legitimacy anyway? Perversely, funerals seem to be best...

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I would simply have some self-respect and not marry any filthy stinking peasants.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Why are you marrying commoners as an emperor?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, the complete intent is to cripple your filthy meritocratic ambition

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

VideoWitch posted:

Eugenics? And yeah, thats probably the largest impact legitimacy had on my game so far: you take quite a heavy hit for marrying that genius nobody, at least if you are a king or above, it seems (didint happen when I married a commoner as a count)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Once you are established you can marry your genius commoners again once in a while. The primary sources of legitimacy cost money, so it's hard in the beginning.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah a big source of legitimacy, if you aren't fighting a lot of wars, is activities. Emperors aren't supposed to just quietly sit around the palace all day being competent administrators, you need to be seen ruling (and by "ruling" I mean "blowing a ton of money on extravagant parties and hunts")

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…and not in the sense “do this, do that” but in the opulent sense of “I rule, you drool”.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

VideoWitch posted:

Because they have a genius trait :D

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Any interesting metas around renown generation that doesn't involve mass conquest?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Do activities, esp the majesty grand tour.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Play 1.6 for the renown bug.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

George Sex - REAL posted:

Any interesting metas around renown generation that doesn't involve mass conquest?

Do grand weddings for everyone in your dynasty in a province that has Royal Gardens or Leisure Palaces. Enjoy 10 renown per guest.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This feels like the plot of a medieval Home Alone movie

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Nerfing "let's marry random commoner girl from other side of the continent because I magically know she's a genius" strategy was the best thing that could happen to this game.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Szarrukin posted:

Nerfing "let's marry random commoner girl from other side of the continent because I magically know she's a genius" strategy was the best thing that could happen to this game.

It was a step in the right direction for sure.

Now if they nerf the caliph being willing to pay a random count on the other side of the world hundreds of coins to keep his affairs secret I might have to learn to play the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

George Sex - REAL posted:

Castle Keepers will apparently poo poo out a ton of renown once your develop your land and hand it over to dynasty members. I keep meaning to do that one day.

SlothBear posted:

Do activities, esp the majesty grand tour.

alcaras posted:

Do grand weddings for everyone in your dynasty in a province that has Royal Gardens or Leisure Palaces. Enjoy 10 renown per guest.
DLC features, ladies and gentlemen. Legitimacy generation in vanilla is borderline nonexistent.

Which circles around to my next point; 'Vanilla' gameplay of a feudal christian sucks. No wonder everyone tries their hardest to break the game over their knee, because the basic gameplay loop is glacial when you're unable to click any buttons since they all cost gold and you don't make any. You have to do real metagame stuff in order to achieve fun, which incidentally legitimacy is laser-focused on preventing. It's miserable.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Szarrukin posted:

This

Serephina posted:

Which circles around to my next point; 'Vanilla' gameplay of a feudal christian sucks. No wonder everyone tries their hardest to break the game over their knee, because the basic gameplay loop is glacial when you're unable to click any buttons since they all cost gold and you don't make any. You have to do real metagame stuff in order to achieve fun, which incidentally legitimacy is laser-focused on preventing. It's miserable.

It only sucks if you’re playing the game as a game. You need to get your head in the character. Why would a random OPM German count strain to become holy Roman emperor when they’re already at the top of their local society? Try out the Habsburg achievement which requires you to never declare (or join!) an offensive war. You can still exercise your ambition as an omnipotent birdseye view gamer while adhering to the constraints of piety that being a good Catholic required, especially back then.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

It only sucks if you’re playing the game as a game. You need to get your head in the character. Why would a random OPM German count strain to become holy Roman emperor when they’re already at the top of their local society? Try out the Habsburg achievement which requires you to never declare (or join!) an offensive war. You can still exercise your ambition as an omnipotent birdseye view gamer while adhering to the constraints of piety that being a good Catholic required, especially back then.

The game is explicitly built around being a king, staying at count level and opting out of half of the mechanics is possibly the most game-y thing you can do, for challenge/cheevo purposes only. Compared to roleplaying real people who always thirsted for upwards mobility - something codified into basic NPC behaviors, even.

---------

Setting that aside, let me be more enthusiastic about the new content:

-Anyone tried the new traditions? I see water ritual and Adoptions. Adoptions looks like some real abduct-level intrigue stuff, murdering people to steal their kids as your own heirs. While water rituals looks more boring, I wonder does it help stop the plague from spreading to your regions? Like disease is terrain-based apparently, but maybe characters won't shuttle it around as much? Or is it literally only useful to stop your family and local NPCs from dying, that's it?
-Speaking of disease, I've seen some screenshots where the entire world is plunged into 0 development forever. Not sure this is entirely the fault of the disease system, or just development being not-working-as-intended ever since release. (like how it will never reach 1066 levels if you start in the 867). Is there any real way to combat this other than doing single-province super-culture stuff? Like constructing the medicine buildings in every barony might work for your personal domain, but isn't practical otherwise, right?

I'm thinking of doing a Norse run which localizes into Iberia, while leaning hard on the 'family' angle of things. There's a few mechanics that support this, such as Family business and Coterie, but anything else that might work well with this? I can't see much else other than Mystical Ancenstors, which might be too tricky to get.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Buschmaki posted:

Invade em, give it to a son and let a cadet house figure it out

And be sure to keep him as an ally, or he's bound to be overthrown the minute you give him autonomy. If you manage to keep him on the throne, he'll provide you with oodles of renown, though.

binge crotching posted:

This feels like the plot of a medieval Home Alone movie

Haha, that's awesome!

Re: Marrying commoners. I'm pretty sure the renown hit is just for you. You should be able to marry your sons/daughters to the common muck without a hit.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh, and I finally got the crashes to stop, turns out I'm a muppet and wasn't loading the mods in the right order (?) or something, now the GUI X mod seems to be stopping all the frequent crashes. Shame that I strongly dislike what the mod intentionally does, so is there some other mod that stops the crashing but doesn't mess up the UI so much?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The only frequent crashes I've ever had are fixed in the mac beta branch.

As for plagues and development: I've played with default settings and have not had problems raising development. Once a plague subsides you get an event to rebuild, which gives a flat development per month.

If you go into the game settings and turn the plagues apocalyptic, then sure, everything will be in ruins forever.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Antigravitas posted:

If you go into the game settings and turn the plagues apocalyptic, then sure, everything will be in ruins forever.
Ah, that'll be it, thank you.

I don't read the preview materials of developers hyping up their newest stuff, so to me a lot of ck3 content just plops down on steam and I have to find out about it via internet chatter. Or trial and error, such as losing legitimacy for losing an individual battle (!?), lol ok sure.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Serephina posted:

Oh, and I finally got the crashes to stop, turns out I'm a muppet and wasn't loading the mods in the right order (?) or something, now the GUI X mod seems to be stopping all the frequent crashes. Shame that I strongly dislike what the mod intentionally does, so is there some other mod that stops the crashing but doesn't mess up the UI so much?

I think the fix that's in that mod was added into the Unofficial Patch mod, which arguably everyone should be using anyway. Alternatively have you tried that beta branch that was being referred to upthread?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serephina posted:

DLC features, ladies and gentlemen. Legitimacy generation in vanilla is borderline nonexistent.

Yeah, its a problem. Ive been under the level for emperor for a while now and the thing is really hard to raise. Wars seems to be the best way to raise this thing if you dont have the DLC. Im doing a lot of activities and they are not helping much

Also, it seems you also get a good part of the new plague features without the DLC too: those decisions to isolate the city or go into enclosure and a whole bunch of very repetitive events that will happen very often when you got some plague going, which is all the time if you got a big empire. Im getting annoyed by it already, to be honest

I glad I didint buy this one cause plagues really arent my thing, Im even thinking of turning off plagues completely

At the same time, it seems unfair if lots of ways of raising legitimacy are locked inside the DLC and while legitimacy itself is not

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I went all out with plague resistance in my playthrough - built the funeral sites duchy building in my capital, carried around a purple plague resist book, reformed culture for the water rituals that gives plague resistance, built up hospitals etc., by the time I was done with the tier 2 tech buildings most plagues were minimal and once into tier 3 even the second and third black death outbreaks only killed a few disposable heirs (who might not have even been at my capital).

I also didn't see the AI really take that much more of a dev hit than usual either.

This was at normal settings other than changing black death to organic and repeatable.

I think this is going to be like most things in the game unfortunately, if you bump it up it just sort of ups the odds of an early game over but by the time you've hit mid game it's pretty much irrelevant to the player unless you self-impose some sort of restriction against protecting yourself.