Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SlothBear posted:

I went all out with plague resistance in my playthrough - built the funeral sites duchy building in my capital, carried around a purple plague resist book, reformed culture for the water rituals that gives plague resistance, built up hospitals etc., by the time I was done with the tier 2 tech buildings most plagues were minimal and once into tier 3 even the second and third black death outbreaks only killed a few disposable heirs (who might not have even been at my capital).

I also didn't see the AI really take that much more of a dev hit than usual either.

This was at normal settings other than changing black death to organic and repeatable.

I think this is going to be like most things in the game unfortunately, if you bump it up it just sort of ups the odds of an early game over but by the time you've hit mid game it's pretty much irrelevant to the player unless you self-impose some sort of restriction against protecting yourself.

I feel if you go that hard into plague resistance (including duchy buildings, artifacts, and a culture tradition) you probably should be pretty impervious to plagues under normal settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hey, they landed the posix fixes on their trunk

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023
Am I missing something about waging war? I joined an ally, but all her armies did was stand around where they'd rallied. I wasn't strong enough to take on the enemy by myself, so I just had to wait until we lost.

I called my allies to help me conquer Hungary, same thing. They follow me all the way over there, split into three groups, then stand around with their thumbs up their asses while I attempt the siege all by myself. I get a pissy message from one of my allies complaining that I'm not helping him with his war, because my soldiers are stuck banging their heads against a city wall for eighteen months. Is this a bug? Am I an idiot who missed some option to control all armies under my banner?

I can see armies all over the map fighting each other so it's clearly possible, apparently just not when I'm around.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
being poo poo at war is a proud 20-year paradox games tradition, excluding hoi4, i guess

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

cheat at solitaire posted:

Am I missing something about waging war? I joined an ally, but all her armies did was stand around where they'd rallied. I wasn't strong enough to take on the enemy by myself, so I just had to wait until we lost.

I called my allies to help me conquer Hungary, same thing. They follow me all the way over there, split into three groups, then stand around with their thumbs up their asses while I attempt the siege all by myself. I get a pissy message from one of my allies complaining that I'm not helping him with his war, because my soldiers are stuck banging their heads against a city wall for eighteen months. Is this a bug? Am I an idiot who missed some option to control all armies under my banner?

I can see armies all over the map fighting each other so it's clearly possible, apparently just not when I'm around.

no, AI is bad at war and crap at creating doomstacks that win wars, they rather split their armies because 'oooh don't want to go over supply limit' and they won't help you to win the battle if you might lose it without their help, they will rather stand nearby twiddling their thumbs waiting for their turn to be decimated. they will also happily abandon sieges that are days from completion for enigmatic reasons only to return and start anew

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 19, 2024

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Just yesterday I won a crusade where the AI (on my side) behaved very smartly and it won because of it, but I know is just luck, they really do whatever

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023
:cripes:

I guess I'll just build up my own horde, then. Glad I found out before I tried any serious conquering.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Sometimes I feel like the AI is a calculating bastard promising to help me but actually standing by to weaken me because it only entered the alliance to gain protection from me.

But it's probably just stupid.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
At the other hand, the AI dumbness means most times you can win wars against armies much bigger than yours

So it kinda evens out: the AI wont help you effectively when they are your ally but also wont help themselves effectively when they are the enemy

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

bob dobbs is dead posted:

being poo poo at war is a proud 20-year paradox games tradition, excluding hoi4, i guess

I wouldn't go so far as to exclude hoi4...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If they just added a "hard" difficulty setting that makes AI armies have infinite supply it would make warfare in this game so much less dumb to play

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea the computer players move their armies quite intelligently right up until supply becomes an issue, then it's like coaxing uncooperative cats. So once everyone starts reaching supply caps, hopefully you'll have made a large stack of MAA and uberknights and can autowin vs the world rather than try to engage with that system. Allies can be used to mop up the small rebellions that arise when you're away.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Which accolades do folks prefer?

Besieger (more siege so you can run just two stacks)
Horse Archer (or whatever your prime MaA)
-- note for xbow you can stack both Crossbows and Archers
House Paragon (Renown, Safer House Members, Hastiluder on Kids)
Mentor (Extra 2 knights, Train Commanders can give Hastiluder XP, Prowess on Kids)
Blademaster (+80% Knight Effectiveness)
Manipulator (+30% scheme Power and +50% KE (at max Dread))
Valiant (+30% Army Damage? Seems underwhelming)
Not sure how good the House Paragon + Mentor combo is

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Fired up a Norse game explicitly to do an adventure into Iberia and see what happens. First thing's first, I forgot that it auto-feudalizes you without warning, and of course now all my new vassals have -20 Unreformed penalties to me... when they're following the same unreformed religion. FFS, that's still in there and gently caress you if you think that's working as intended, it's just laziness that it never got fixed.

The exciting new thing was getting about a dozen dings to legitimacy due to all the titles I lost when the adventure concluded. Sigh. I put it on hold and will decide if it's worth coming back to.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I find dealing with accolades to be more annoying than useful, sadly.

I like the idea, but but constantly dealing with succession bullshit is too much for me.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Antigravitas posted:

I find dealing with accolades to be more annoying than useful, sadly.

I like the idea, but but constantly dealing with succession bullshit is too much for me.

They could fix that system by just having the accolade find their own drat successor

There’s too many small things to micromanage on this game already

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

alcaras posted:

Besieger (more siege so you can run just two stacks)
Horse Archer (or whatever your prime MaA)
-- note for xbow you can stack both Crossbows and Archers
House Paragon (Renown, Safer House Members, Hastiluder on Kids)
Mentor (Extra 2 knights, Train Commanders can give Hastiluder XP, Prowess on Kids)
Blademaster (+80% Knight Effectiveness)
Manipulator (+30% scheme Power and +50% KE (at max Dread))
Valiant (+30% Army Damage? Seems underwhelming)
Not sure how good the House Paragon + Mentor combo is

House Paragon is great if you have it, otherwise I tend to stack the one that buffs my MAA stacks, plus Valiant and Mentor. With a secondary emphasis on Stalwart, Tactician, and Blademaster. It's worth checking the wiki page to see which accolades have the requirements that are easy to meet, so you don't have to faff around too much with succession (like, the Blademaster accolade is amazing, but it's a PITA to get qualifying knights). Not gonna lie, one of my mods has a feature where I can recruit a knight with a specific trait to help with this. I do hope Paradox comes back to give accolades some love sometime, because they can be a pain to manage if you don't know the requirements and you're not using mods.

Serephina posted:

Fired up a Norse game explicitly to do an adventure into Iberia and see what happens. First thing's first, I forgot that it auto-feudalizes you without warning, and of course now all my new vassals have -20 Unreformed penalties to me... when they're following the same unreformed religion. FFS, that's still in there and gently caress you if you think that's working as intended, it's just laziness that it never got fixed.

The exciting new thing was getting about a dozen dings to legitimacy due to all the titles I lost when the adventure concluded. Sigh. I put it on hold and will decide if it's worth coming back to.

The Unreformed thing seems okay to me, it's saying unreformed faiths are supposed to have a harder time holding onto non-tribal lands (even when dealing with other people of their faith). It's one of the pressures to convert to a reformed faith. Varangian Adventures, however, do seem to be a problem at the moment. It's weird to me because a good deal of the Legendary Adventure code seems to be straight-copied from Varangian Adventures, but it doesn't seem to tank your legitimacy like that. Edit: Looking at the code, the reason seems to be that for Varangian Adventures, your old titles are "usurped" by their new holders, while in a Legendary Adventure, they are "granted". This is either an oversight or Varangian Adventurers are just supposed to be very illegitimate rulers (I could see that being something done for flavor reasons).

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 20, 2024

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Two Beans posted:

Here's a neat little tool for generating CoAs from images. It seems to turn the pixels of the uploaded image into colored block CoA objects. Once generated you copy the code and paste it into the CoA designer.

https://perondas.github.io/

Lamao thank you for this, this is amazing. I just tried it and it really doesnt like super advanced CoA as the game fps just tanks, got 2 fps out of this one:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Magil Zeal posted:

House Paragon is great if you have it, otherwise I tend to stack the one that buffs my MAA stacks, plus Valiant and Mentor. With a secondary emphasis on Stalwart, Tactician, and Blademaster. It's worth checking the wiki page to see which accolades have the requirements that are easy to meet, so you don't have to faff around too much with succession (like, the Blademaster accolade is amazing, but it's a PITA to get qualifying knights). Not gonna lie, one of my mods has a feature where I can recruit a knight with a specific trait to help with this. I do hope Paradox comes back to give accolades some love sometime, because they can be a pain to manage if you don't know the requirements and you're not using mods

Yeah, I look up requirements on the wiki and then have saved searches in Character Finder and then get those folks in my court (usually matrilineal marriage, but uh, sometimes abduction and recruit).

And yes the UI is really bad.

At the moment I have to hit "Force" on a bunch of them because they're "only" 27 prowess and wouldn't qualify to be knights because I have too many 40 and 30 prowess knights :D

Manipulator is also particularly good -- Knight Effectiveness for Dread _and_ scheme power. Lately I've been learning / exploring having my ruler be intrigue (Schemer) and it is kind of insanely OP since Intrigue breaks the game.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

alcaras posted:

Always grab Mentor and Blademaster, first and foremost. After that I focus on my Men at Arms buffs or grab House Paragon.

Stables are so useful for the Travel and Army speed buffs that I usually switch to Cavalry by the 1200s. Outrider Champions are harder to get than Lancer Champions oddly enough.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I tend to not go for abduction because it just breaks the game so much. Playing where you can do abductions and without it is night and day. But yeah, if you have that it becomes a lot easier to get what you're looking for.

TjyvTompa posted:

Lamao thank you for this, this is amazing. I just tried it and it really doesnt like super advanced CoA as the game fps just tanks, got 2 fps out of this one:

My experience in using that tool is that it creates tens of thousands of lines of code for even fairly simple patterns, so yeah. Anything complicated is probably going to cause some major lag.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 20, 2024

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Magil Zeal posted:

I tend to not go for abduction because it just breaks the game so much. Playing where you can do abductions and without it is night and day. But yeah, if you have that it becomes a lot easier to get what you're looking for.

Yeah I've never played Intrigue this deeply before, and it's completely game-breaking. But very fun for the first time you really get the hang of it.

And definitely fun to play a "actual power behind the throne" run where you are a vassal kingdom in any empire, and you quietly plot and put your family on the throne everywhere while staying small and non-descript yourself.

I flirt with the idea of doing a "good guy vassal" -- start as some vassal somewhere, and only do Honorable and Just actions. I suspect it'd be very boring through since you have no money for feasts and hunts and tournaments and you have no means of acquiring power and eventually someone will revoke your title and you won't have any way of stopping them because your troops will be too small. Might be fun in any case, though. The game definitely rewards role-play playthroughs -- losing is fun, after all.

--

That said, I did really enjoy Legacy of Persia (which I hadn't played until this month) and exploring how to go from 1 county to Flame of Persia -- took a couple of tries since you have to powergame because the intermezzo will usually resolve itself by 930 AD and you need to be powerful enough either delay or end it the way you want. I am looking forward to the Byz + Unlanded Adventurer expansion. Game remains a great story generator.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 20, 2024

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Going back to crashing for a moment, I've been frustrated with frequent, random crashes for quite a while since the more recent updates to CK3. But I think it was related to a hardware issue, specifically, an ASUS motherboard with a 13th generation i9-13900KF. The problems (and solutions) I found here, and thus far it seems optimistic. Testing before tweaking the settings had almost instant and constant thermal throttling, now I stress test for 5 minutes with no thermal throttling. Also, I can run an observer game at speed 5 for several minutes without crashing. Not sure if anybody else was having similar issues, but drat, this may be a lifesaver for me.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
engine older than many modern pop stars means c-language problems galore, lol

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

alcaras posted:

Do grand weddings for everyone in your dynasty in a province that has Royal Gardens or Leisure Palaces. Enjoy 10 renown per guest.

It's 10 renown flat, not per guest, isn't it?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The reformed religion pressure thing would feel less lovely if there were any other means of reforming a religion besides owning its holy sites. If I'm Norse and adventure out to somewhere nowhere near Scandinavia, I have no option but to convert. At least add some kind of religion hybridization thing like there is for culture, because that's kinda how religion worked in real life.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Fajita Queen posted:

The reformed religion pressure thing would feel less lovely if there were any other means of reforming a religion besides owning its holy sites. If I'm Norse and adventure out to somewhere nowhere near Scandinavia, I have no option but to convert. At least add some kind of religion hybridization thing like there is for culture, because that's kinda how religion worked in real life.

There was a mod I used a while ago (there are probably more options now) that got rid of the holy site requirement for reforming religions. Having it strictly based on having enough piety to make the changes, and enough vassal opinion that they also convert instead of just hating you for it, felt overpowered and I'd prefer to have a hybridization or other alternative method, but it was a hell of a lot less frustrating than "gotta own the holy sites" in games where I just wanted to mess around.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fajita Queen posted:

I am hoping that a future religious rework will include that (and restructure the code base so tenets can be modified/added by mods without making it incompatible with any other mod that does so). But religion is in a reasonably good spot compared to some other things so it probably won't be coming soon.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Staltran posted:

It's 10 renown flat, not per guest, isn't it?

Have been trying to test, yeah, it does not appear to be 10 renown per guest :( Maybe it once was? Something like 400 renown per wedding modulo special events. And lots of lifestyle XP and even a diplomacy perk with some events. Activities are really strong!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

alcaras posted:

Have been trying to test, yeah, it does not appear to be 10 renown per guest :( Maybe it once was? Something like 400 renown per wedding modulo special events. And lots of lifestyle XP and even a diplomacy perk with some events. Activities are really strong!

And 250 piety if you do it in a holy site (of your faith).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
400 aint nothing to scoff at tho

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Do theocratic vassals not work with Clans?

I swapped to a Theocratic religion as a Clan (Persian Emperor) and made a Caliph by giving my realm priest a county and then firing him (there are other ways, but this is the least painful). But his vassals are not theocrats but are instead clan, and he gives me very little cash:

He's not earning a lot either:

I've heard great things about theocratic vassals but have yet to figure out how to get them to work reliably :(

Do I have to make him realm priest? (And toggle him off when I want to grant him titles?) He still has clan vassals though, but at least now I see some cash?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 22, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your monthly income is 215, why the gently caress do you care

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Weird, it's probably an islamic specific thing. Clan governments have "heritage_arabic heritage_iranian heritage_turkic" and "islam_religion" as preferred cultures/religions so that probably overrides the theocratic government trigger. You might have to wait for them to employ tax collectors before the income goes up

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

alcaras posted:

Do theocratic vassals not work with Clans?

I swapped to a Theocratic religion as a Clan (Persian Emperor) and made a Caliph by giving my realm priest a county and then firing him (there are other ways, but this is the least painful). But his vassals are not theocrats but are instead clan, and he gives me very little cash:

He's not earning a lot either:

I've heard great things about theocratic vassals but have yet to figure out how to get them to work reliably :(

Do I have to make him realm priest? (And toggle him off when I want to grant him titles?) He still has clan vassals though, but at least now I see some cash?

IIRC the big income number that Heads of Faith get from their faith's priests is not taxable, even if they're your vassal. The only tax income you'll pull in is the tax you'd get from any other Theocratic vassal of that tier (based on your level of devotion).

The reason theocratic realm priests are talked about as being generally preferable to lay clergy (Communion+you as HoF shenanigans aside) is because if a church holding is held by a regular baron-tier vassal they just pay you the standard 10% baron vassal tax. A realm priest can provide up to 50% tax, plus income from subordinate realm priests (25% from each one). They also provide the HoF (if one exists) with 15% of their tax income, but this amount is not taxable by you even if the HoF is your vassal. This is why vassalizing the Pope isn't nearly as strong for income in CK3 as it was in CK2.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 22, 2024

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Not really about the $$, mostly just curious to get the hang of properly creating a theocratic vassal as a clan. What did I mess up setting this guy up? And how do I fix it?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

alcaras posted:

Not really about the $$, mostly just curious to get the hang of properly creating a theocratic vassal as a clan. What did I mess up setting this guy up? And how do I fix it?

I mean, did you mess up? That guy seems to still be a theocratic vassal going by the flag. But there's no particular reason why they should have theocratic vassals under them instead of clan vassals. I guess I'm not sure what you're trying to fix if it's not about the money? Are you saying they have baron-tier clan vassals holding onto temples?

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 22, 2024

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Researching and learning a bit more, looks like my mistake was just granting _everything_ to one guy, instead of granting to about domain limit and then granting to barony theocrats under him -- theocrats won't make more theocrats above barony. This was a helpful video in learning the intricacies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUrZKRNp7Q

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

alcaras posted:

Researching and learning a bit more, looks like my mistake was just granting _everything_ to one guy, instead of granting to about domain limit and then granting to barony theocrats under him -- theocrats won't make more theocrats above barony. This was a helpful video in learning the intricacies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUrZKRNp7Q

This is a very helpful video thank you.

EDIT: Does any of this apply to other base religions besides Christianity? I'm currently playing a Muslim game and it seems to have some weird differences with regards to how temple ownership works

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm new to Crusader Kings 3, and I wanted to know what my options are given a particular warning I recieved.

I have a vassal, Earl Liber who has the Earldom of Galloway and he is also the Heir to the Kingdom of England.

I'd like to maintain the Earldom of Galloway but my understanding is that if Earl Liber obtains the Kingdom of England then he will no longer be my vassal and also take the Earldom of Galloway away from me.

What are my options here?

I could revoke his Earldom of Galloway title, but that would accrue Tyranny right?

I suppose I could murder Earl Liber but I'm not sure what that all would do.