Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Serephina posted:

I mean it's all academic isn't it, as the player WILL snowball into an empire, it's just a matter of how many generations - and how much fun you're having along the way.

But if we had to rank stuff, the Norse pillage tree is unmatched for snowballing; getting gold for for doing warstuff is absurdly strong, allows you to buy and sustain empire-crushing armies at a county level, even as feudal.

i just did a full play through where i started and ended as a count :smug:

i decided not to try to conquer anything and mostly succeeded except at one point i somehow inherited the kingdom of Bavaria only to be attacked immediately by everyone so i abdicated after like two weeks lol

started a new play through in the Iranian intramezzo, decided to take one of the hard start characters (Suri of Mandesh) and spread the Mahayana religion, without starting any wars. finally using the hostage mechanic and finding it to be extremely useful if you want to say, convert a neighbouring ruler’s heir to your religion. also i think holding a couple key hostages is the only reason i haven’t been invaded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Game is still crashing in linux when clicking on characters, on the latest version

Less frequently than it was before, but still happens

Fresh install on a different computer even, so its not my hardware

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 15, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
did you try installing a character graphics mod?

this one specifically

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it looks like getting a character graphics mod such as gui x character window reliably kills the posix bug, at least for more than 20 hours https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3037402487, so lol at the months of this bug crashing everyone not using windows

I've ironed out all the crashes after this and a middling amount of editing game script files to fix pdx's fuckups on the scars being progressive now

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
No mods installed

edit: ah, i misread. Ill try that. thanks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
mod fixes the bug, not mod causes the bug

i'm guessing its a ux async bug, which is why it's nondeterministic and why it's stayed for months. the engine has a rolled-their-own ux system in it, and they almost certainly have lost the original devs who built that thing, given jomini's age and the infinitesimal tenures of video game devs. might not be fixed for a year

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
But still, loving paradox

This bug has been know for how many months now?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Serephina posted:

I mean it's all academic isn't it, as the player WILL snowball into an empire, it's just a matter of how many generations - and how much fun you're having along the way.

But if we had to rank stuff, the Norse pillage tree is unmatched for snowballing; getting gold for for doing warstuff is absurdly strong, allows you to buy and sustain empire-crushing armies at a county level, even as feudal.

Yeah, it's more of a choice of how you want to do it then what will make it possible.

My preferred style is to build up a super core so Law 1,2 and then Activities 1,2,3 are pretty much my standard opener, but other than a few duds they're all useful if they boost the thing you're doing anyway!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jakosa posted:

Isn't there an item in your "current situation" panel (the panel that lists actions that the game thinks are relevant) that lets you call them to war?

Thanks. That's much easier than the way I as doing it. But I still wish there was a single 'call all allies that will accept to war' for when I have like 8+ alliances or involved in multiple wars

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
i'm also unclear how clan succession works
on feudal i just go elective on duchies i control once i'm king
clan seems to morph between duchy + king based on realm size automatically?
still wrapping my head around it

--

i also like the "super core" strategy -- trying to figure out how to do that with intrigue. from some test games starting with 1 county (Darabjerd), my lessons learned so far are to make sure you invest in MaA or have hooks on everyone who could rebel against you.

abduction + find secrets can power the economy (plus demand payments dip for money from hooks), but demand payment clicks are tedious, and _finding_ the right targets for abductions is really tedious (lots of 5% chances and have to click around to find 85% chances. not sure what influences those chances). but it seems like the best / most reliable starting point?

--

activities 1 is really nice since weddings are pricey but very powerful, and the strong hook on your liege from the wedding can be handy too if you're playing as a vassal (if you don't already have one). also diplomatic intent on your liege can give you an alliance in a wedding which is really nice. not in love with the rest of activities if you're playing 7-8 counties and 2-4 duchies since you don't have that many vassals to extort / tour.

i like tournament + tours events / travel but since it pauses all schemes, it's a bit annoying. and you can't assign wards to kids if they're traveling. also in early game it's all so expensive.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

alcaras posted:

abduction + find secrets can power the economy (plus demand payments dip for money from hooks), but demand payment clicks are tedious, and _finding_ the right targets for abductions is really tedious (lots of 5% chances and have to click around to find 85% chances. not sure what influences those chances)

UI stuff like this and having to individually demand religious conversion from everyone is very tedious

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Farecoal posted:

UI stuff like this and having to individually demand religious conversion from everyone is very tedious

theres a mod for that

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2753176859

i've long come to the conclusion that pdx modding community is better than pdx at like, many computertouching things. manybe most things

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

theres a mod for that

i've long come to the conclusion that pdx modding community is better than pdx at like, many computertouching things. manybe most things

this seems to be demand conversion, not demand payments? unless i missed something!

do these ui mods work on ironman or break it? i don't know how to tell without downloading the mod and see if ironman has a checkbox or not

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No, it's demand conversion. There might be a similar "mass Golden Obligations demand" mod (or at the very least it would be similarly easy to write one) but I don't know about it.

Also, mods are no longer relevant for achievements in CK3. A broken mod might somehow break Ironman in a technical sense (CTDs/etc) but otherwise no need to worry.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What are some interesting things to do that RICE adds to the game?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Elias_Maluco posted:

But still, loving paradox

This bug has been know for how many months now?

Since November.

But it's fixed on the mac beta branch.

People were rather less than amused in the last two weeks so Paradox finally had to move.

It's a bit wild, though. I sent them half a dozen crash dumps with the exact same loving stacktrace every single time. I don't have symbols, but they very much loving do.

I have a hunch that the map game audience is like half developers or adjacent. One of the threads had someone complain about the obvious lack of linting in the game's script files (inconsistent indentation etc.)

Which is, imo, a pretty fair observation btw., you'd think at this point they would have some CI pipeline for their games…

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 15, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Antigravitas posted:

One of the threads had someone complain about the obvious lack of linting in the game's script files (inconsistent indentation etc.)

it was me one page ago lol

and they rolled their own language, so they would prolly have to roll their own linter if they wanted to lint. it's some kinda lovely lisp thing so i imagine it would be simple to roll out that ast and stuff but who knows

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 15, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If they can parse it, which I hope they can, they can lint it. :v:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Fajita Queen posted:

What are some interesting things to do that RICE adds to the game?

you can read the documentation but it adds a huge amount of flavor events and activities that make peacetime realm management more fun. The mod came into it's own with the tours and tournaments journey system because you can visit places and do fun stuff. Rice alongside EPE and CFP also makes a lot of ethnic groups look less goofy looking. My personal favorite is the pamir content pack RICE adds because it leans into the Indo-Iranian thing incredibly hard and adds a ton of immersion if you are playing the game to chill.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

One wonders how they can push out a build that fills debug.log with <only the first definition of this sink is used> and nothing else.

Like, if this was my code, I'd be livid at having my debug logs be turned useless.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a large codebase is an incredibly political thing, they just might have managers declaring that its someone elses problem and forbidding them from just fixing it. or the peeps who might be fixing it have their hair on fire from other crap. or spurious bullshit reasons might have hosed the 4 previous attempts to fix it and now peeps have learned helplessness. or some combination.

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 16, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Guess I'm gonna call myself out as someone who talks about the game more than playing it: Exactly how long as the OGL renderer on linux been hosed? I can run it on vulkan, but that's been bugged/poorly implemented since release and runs like a slideshow (10 fps vs 70)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

a large codebase is an incredibly political thing, they just might have managers declaring that its someone elses problem and forbidding them from just fixing it. or the peeps who might be fixing it have their hair on fire from other crap. or spurious bullshit reasons might have hosed the 4 previous attempts to fix it and now peeps have learned helplessness. or some combination.

small domino: adds witch trait because it's only 10 points and i'm 390/400

big domino: the empire has herpes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Serephina posted:

Guess I'm gonna call myself out as someone who talks about the game more than playing it: Exactly how long as the OGL renderer on linux been hosed? I can run it on vulkan, but that's been bugged/poorly implemented since release and runs like a slideshow (10 fps vs 70)

what exactly is the issue here

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

theres a mod for that

I would probably play with mods if playing w/ the launcher didn't take forever to load while taking 5 seconds on a cracked version. Then again, putting the auto-save at 6 month of interval did fix my crashing issue so I don't even have a reason to play legally.

e:

Serephina posted:

This is just beautiful to be honest. Except if you can't see the troop and other UI stuff required to play the game.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Serephina posted:

Talk about remaking the world in your image.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
eu period, but this book cover slaps so hard that basically no first party reprinting of hobbes's leviathan has ever gone without it

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Will they make a subscription for DLC eventually? I almost bought this today but saw the two major expansions each cost more than the base game on sale and it winds up costing more than a major new release.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Antigravitas posted:

Since November.

But it's fixed on the mac beta branch.

People were rather less than amused in the last two weeks so Paradox finally had to move.

It's a bit wild, though. I sent them half a dozen crash dumps with the exact same loving stacktrace every single time. I don't have symbols, but they very much loving do.

I have a hunch that the map game audience is like half developers or adjacent. One of the threads had someone complain about the obvious lack of linting in the game's script files (inconsistent indentation etc.)

Which is, imo, a pretty fair observation btw., you'd think at this point they would have some CI pipeline for their games…

I’ve sent them countless crash reports too, over some weeks, until I gave up the game I was playing because it was happening too frequently (it seems to get worst late game). I was very disappointed to come back months later, on a fresh install in the just released latest version, and find it was still there

Anyway, I’ve installed that mod and yesterday I played for around 4 hours with no crashes. So yeah, the community rules

Serephina posted:

lol
I’ve always played it on vulkan like virtually all I play in linux and performance it’s ok even on my old laptop

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 16, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The mac_testing branch has fixed the crash completely.

Now I get to wonder wtf they did with the Vulkan renderer. With the game paused and the desktop otherwise idle it fluctuates from 90 to 20 seemingly at random.

What on earth are they doing? Stellaris, meanwhile, never dips below 100 for me and usually stays at 120 all the time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
is there a single paradox game that's not cpu-bound?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My modding story is discovering there's a 100 bone limit to the 2D avatar animations for Stellaris. :smith:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

snoremac posted:

Will they make a subscription for DLC eventually? I almost bought this today but saw the two major expansions each cost more than the base game on sale and it winds up costing more than a major new release.

Eventually? Probably. But Stellaris and EU4 were out for 8 and 9 years respectively before they got their expansion subscriptions, so it will probably be a while before CK3 gets one.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Hellioning posted:

Eventually? Probably. But Stellaris and EU4 were out for 8 and 9 years respectively before they got their expansion subscriptions, so it will probably be a while before CK3 gets one.
Ah okay. I'll just get the base game for now. Surely there's enough content to be fun for a good while.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I simply play the game on Windows.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're getting random crashes on windows, too, lol

prolly from the scars thing

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My current ck3 experience: display driver borked (as seen above), running it at potato-resolution to be playable. Fired up Ireland just to see the new mechanics, am puzzled at how I'm supposed to gain legitimacy. Yes yes marrying a commoner is -300, but winning major war is +30? Not to mention that doing anything remotely 'fun' is now illegal and tanks your legitimacy. Like just... grey the options out if you don't want players doing stuff, ok?

Oh and yea the game crashes every half hour, that's nice. Yes I have that guiX mod, it didn't help. The crash reporter crashes, too.

All to just play as a boring christian who has to sit on his arse and wait decades for gold to slowly trickle in so he can create some titles. Can't get a hook nor sway your head of faith, that's been given maluses. Fabbing hooks and getting them paid off probably also tanks your legitimacy, if I had to guess...

Game doesn't feel like it's in a good state, not at all.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you're not ok with having legitimacy at rock bottom the entire game, never marry a commoner again, basically, yes

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean, I didn't. Because picking that option is the equivalent of alt-f4ing. Just grey the option out or something if there's no way to recover from it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fabricating hooks and buying hooks do not, in fact, tank your legitimacy. I like that there are actual penalties to marrying a lowborn and the like. There are a reasonable amount of ways to obtain legitimacy; many activities and winning wars are the first ones to come to mind. It is definitely easier to lose than to gain, though.

I have not experienced the crashes personally, but I am very sorry that you are. It sounds like it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also lower levels of nobility get smaller penalties