Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Didn't Ofaloaf make that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm gonna hit that big random button until I start as someone else's vassal.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
One thing I would like to see is with hooks: we know that if you have a strong hook on someone, you can force them into your schemes, but I bfeel like they should have an opportunity to expose their own secret, depending on what you're asking them to do. Like, if you ask someone to murder someone they have an enormous opinion of, there should be some people who still refuse, even at great risk to themselves.

Imagine having a strong hook on a rival king and trying to get him in on your plot to murser his only heir. No one would do that.

I like the mechanic, but it has potential to be really stupid depending on if it is literally a "cannot refuse" or not.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Thanks for the replies regarding hooks. I'm now sad that the mutual blackmail option isn't on the table.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh, holy poo poo, there's a built in "Switch character" button. Built right into the game this time.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Started a game as Aland. Conquered the Duchy of Finland. Conquering tribals is awful. You have to pay like, 500 gold to reform them into feudal holdings. I ended up having to convert to Catholicism because Erik the Heathen lost his rebellion, and I didn't want my titles revoked. I gave some thought to modifying the contract with the other Erik, but the Aland character started with traits that would be virtuous if he were catholic, and I decided that just going with it made more sense. Balance of power is really weird. Allies and Mercs punch way above their weight class. As an unaffiliated count in Sweden, there were periods where it said my liege's army was "Similar" to my own.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Why can't the stewardship focus give me discounts on upgrading tribal lands? Is this the only flay priced thing in the game?!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
For me, building myself back up is much more fun than conquering everything. So I frequently didn't turn off Gavelkind. And when I played as a Muslim ruler in CK2, I would grant a title to my favored heir, and then, if I decided I liked someone better, I'd give him two titles, etc etc etc until maybe I die, and "Looks like my fifth son has two dukedoms and thus wins the contest"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's kind of ridiculous how early the Meritocracy perk is in the Stewardship focus. Being able to just declare that you ought to be the real Emperor/King/Duke is pretty nutty.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Fabricated secrets will actually override reality. Someone successfully makes up a lie that X child is actually Y's child and not Z's, the "real father" will actually be changed, per the debug menu. High intrigue characters are literal wizards.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Managed to survive my succession crisis/stealing my brother's lawful inheritance, and then a ton of subsequent wars by opportunistic bastards nearby, entirely off an alliance that I swung with Hungary and their 8000 soldiers. By the time they won all my wars for me, they were 500 gold in debt. Thanks, buddy.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

canada jezus posted:

Are there parts of the map that are inherently more dangerous/war prone? If yes what is the most peaceful spot to park yourself if you just wanna see about a breeding program/pumping out 10,000 kids and seeing who ends up where.

Iceland is almost always safe. But you'd be too isolated.

I have to imagine you'd be relatively safe by playing as a Vassal in Hungary.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Societies were awful, and every fourth character being a Satanist or whatever was complete garbage, and the warrior lodges were some Hyperbolic Time Chamber bullshit.

The developers have earned some trust, and I wouldn't object to them being back, but they would need to be completely remade.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Scherloch posted:

I've been poking around save files, and think I've found something interesting.

If your wife (or any woman) has more than one lover at the time she gets pregnant, her male virile lovers will all be listed as potential fathers for the offspring. Her husband at the time will be considered the real father, but having several potential fathers makes it possible for the event where the child's true parentage is put in doubt to pop.

The game told me one of my vassals was the father of my heir, and both debug mode and the save file listed him as her real father. I loaded an earlier save (a few years before the event popped) and at this point, neither the save nor debug mode listed him as such. I also couldn't find anything in the save indicating that he was her potential father, so I don't know where or how the game stores that information between the child being born and the event popping.

Also, it seems the game will lie to you. Even if you are the real father, it might still tell you that your best friend, Jarl Dickbag, is the kid's actual father. Figuring out who the real father is isn't easy, but traits can give you an idea, as can the DNA string. My heir had quick listed as a recessive trait, and neither her mother nor her claimed real father had it, but my character did. The DNA string (like in CK2, it decides a characters looks, but it's a lot longer with a lot more variables, for obvious reasons) seemed to support the notion that I was the real father as well, as her's had a lot more in common with my character's than her claimed real father's.

The game lying about it is actually pretty cool. If some Jarl had doinked your wife around the time she became pregnant, it makes perfect sense that he might try to use this to sow doubt about the legitimacy of a potential heir.

I touched on this earlier, the intrigue "fabricate secrets" will literally change this in the debug menu.

Homosexual or asexual characters, therefor ones not actually valid as a target for seduction (by a man, anyhow) can have their child's "real father" overwritten with the intrigue options. Intrigue is literal sorcery.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Broken Cog posted:

You also get renown for dynasty members married to independent rulers, just not quite as much as for being the actual ruler themself.

Edit: Ugh, getting an intrigue focused character with Compassionate sucks.

That seems like a seducer if I ever heard one.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
For folks talking about converting to dead religions, I have gotten stress events that let me convert religions. I wonder if there's a way to influence what religion is offered by that event. Say, being a lunatic or whatever.... Maybe having the associated virtues make one more likely? It'd be worth someone checking the events.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You think a seven point steward is bad? I had a guy enforce himself into being a 2 diplomacy chancellor.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm up to my fifth (?) character, and I'm just now noticing that, in addition to everything else, there's height. I mean, giants and dwarfs are things, but there's also just ordinary, "some folks are taller than other folks" height. Just because my current king is like, over a head smaller than his father, and looks sort of silly in his armor.

I also don't usually do the "hunt down good genetics for the best traits" thing, but when telling to arrange by alliance power, I notice that one of the most powerful guys I can matrilineally betroth my genius, hale daughter to is himself beautiful..... well, it's really not the sort of opportunity you back away from, now, is it?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You can definitely still make your mother into your spymaster, which is really helpful for not getting immediately assassinated after you inherit.

Dwesa posted:

I noticed this too on main screen, my current dynasty is almost dwarfish compared to previous one. And when I see potential spouse with good traits that looks like Dolores Umbridge, I rather find someone else.

The evolution from ruler to ruler is fascinating to me, and the main reason why I want my heirs to be my own. I think that I will switch to another character if the wrong person inherits. Painting the map is only really my focus if it seems like the character I am playing would have that focus. And sometimes to smooth up my borders. But watching how the different branches of my dynasty start taking on their own look is totally my jam.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

twistedmentat posted:

Can you fabricate or get the pope to give you a claim on an entire kingdom?

Yes and yes.

Fabricate (through intrigue) I'm not sure about, but the Meritocracy perk in stewardship allows you a plot to get a claim against your own liege, whatever their rank may be. Meanwhile, The Pope penalizes you if you request claims that are beneath your size.

You can also use the Sanctioned Loopholes perk to buy claims on, you know, whatever. Including kingdoms, including Empires, sure why the hell not. Costs 2000 piety for an empire, if you're interested.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have a duke-level Muslim in my game that has held all of the de jure territory of Aquitaine, Barcelona and Aragon in my game, but he's/his descendants have never bothered to claim themselves as emperor, much less King. Which seems really weird. You'd think they'd take at least one of the available titles.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My war-mongering, ambitious king died, leaving his equally war-mongering, ambitious son the throne. Said son has three daughters, but no sons of his own by the time he inherits, and I finally have another one. I get the name your child pop-up, and decide that I don't like the name, so I hit "from an ancestor" and it gives me "Svend", which I accept, thinking that's the name of his uncle. But I looked around and it wasn't. Worse, I realize that "Svend" is also the name of my character's father's arch-enemy, the King of Denmark. A giant relentless one-eyed bear of a man that just war declared me every single chance he got. And vice versa. I want to say my character's father had at least six wars with Svend. It was unthinkable that my/his son would name a child after him.

................and then I thought, no. No, it's not unthinkable. It's perfect. And now I'm naming all the rest of my children, as I have them, after my character's father's (and eventually his own) worst enemies. For he is a warrior, and he wants his children to be named after the greatest warriors he has ever known and faced.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

fuf posted:

really wish the "chance of children" text had a tooltip showing the modifiers. So often it's "none" and I have no idea why.

I'm also not sure "none" is accurate, or if it just says that if it's lower than what it says is "low". I had a son who had the "infertile" trait, and, amazingly he had an actual child. Of his own. I turned on debug mode to check.

Excelzior posted:

There's no need to land your knights, they won't leave your court if they have a job. It's flavourful to "reward them for their service" and all but meh.

To add to this, if you land many people at once, and they become the direct vassal of someone else, they are no longer your knights. So that's a thing to watch out for.

I, however, tend to land my knights because one way I attract knights to my court is matrilineally marrying my excess daughters, sisters, nieces, etc to men with high prowess. Women who stand no chance at inheriting. When I can't find a good alliance, I first search for who has claims I might want, and if I can't find any, I'll let them age a bit, and if I still can't find an alliance or claim that I want, I'll specifically find an excellent knight, but sometimes also a different counselor or a court physician or something.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Anomandaris posted:

Pick the learning trait that tells you when you're about to die -> Imprison your strongest vassals one by one when you get the event -> Laugh all the way to the afterlife. In fact, it's best to be proactive about this and imprison your strongest vassals even if you're not about to die.

Alternatively:
- marry your grandsons to your strongest vassals' families
- keep a few extra titles for the new ruler to hand around after death
- do what you suggested and just beat them all into submission every generation (though it's tedious, especially if you own a huge empire)
- also: if you ever get a crusade, take the time to walk both yourself and your heir to the crusade target until they get the "crusader" trait for a massive bonus to opinion

drat it, Kallor, you're smart enough to not impersonate Rake. What are you doing with this username?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Azhais posted:

I break my army down as much as possible when there's a crusade and put every eligible male in charge of their own 10 person army to get that trait across as many people as possible for the opinion boost.

Sadly making my Muslim dukes siege Jerusalem doesn't give them a trait

Wait, this trait still exists? My ruler lead from the front, and was 4th in the overall score at the end, but didn't get it. Do you have to literally be inside the Crusade target? I sailed down the red sea, sieging everything in sight for quick dosh, piety, and dread, and as they were all considered allies of the defenders and/or their armies, it racked up quite a big score.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, you need to be in the territory targeted by the Crusade. Not that ruler's territory, but the actual De Jure kingdom.

drat it, that's not how wars are won.

In my second crusade, I bee-lined for the enemy's capital and seiged it down, which peeled a bunch of defenders away from allied Christendom. Unlike the first crusade which I suppose I.... could.... reasonably be argued to have ulterior motives, my second one... well, I contributed.

EDIT
Having realized this, I came to the conclusion that I need to gently caress up the Pope directly in response to this insult. I didn't know what direction I was taking my new guy's life, but this..... this must requires a reckoning.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 11, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I find something pretty odd about piety being used to reform religions or change religions. Like, if I'm pious, I'm getting those points by behaving in such a way that my religion wants me to already. On the one hand, suddenly going against all of that should tank my piety (thereby explaining the expense), but....... why would I want to convert/rebel at that point? It seems like it's promoting you to act wildly out of character.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

TotalHell posted:

Game still owns though, specially because I can say things like “Khanate of Bulgaria.”

In CK2 I have a fond memory of declaring what would become known as "The Second Sunni Jihad for Bavaria"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Take the perk "Thriving in Chaos". Leverage that poo poo into a massive prowess boost and go ham. Either you kick everything's poo poo in, or you die early, freeing yourself from the burden.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
OK, here's one:

The mayors of Visby, some of my most successful vassals, have conquered a good chunk of Estonia/Lithuania for me. The problem is, whenever they die, even though most of their holdings are castle counties, they still somehow go to the next elected mayor of Visby, which seems....... incorrect. If they were a ducal level republic, I could understand it, but they are not. I'm assuming I don't get levies from those holdings, because the Mayor almost certainly won't, since they're the wrong holding type, so there's none for him to pass upward to me.

So.... short of outright revoking the titles of a good and loyal vassal who does a lot of work for me, is there a way I can stop this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On that note, having a strong mayoral vassal in your kingdom, whether you're as their liege or another vassal, you might want to give strong consideration to matrilineally marrying the occasional daughter to them. As a low-born, they'll always accept. If you're their liege, the powerful vassal will now not join factions against you, because you are allied. If you're not the liege, you simply get a powerful ally within the kingdom. Further, all those children your daughter will have will be of your dynasty, and will be quite willing to join your court when you become an adult, allowing you to marry them out elsewhere for further alliances. As a republic vassal, you can keep doing it and never have to worry about incest penalties, because every mayor will simply be a new, completely random guy. (Though, it's a little sad that I've never seen some random highborn visitor/courtier be elected. I feel courtiers of the republic with a high enough combination of diplo/stewardship should sometimes become the new mayor.)

Speaking of matrilineally marrying away your daughters, my dynasty now stands to inherit the Kingdom of Wales and a large portion of England(the Danelaw). Totally an accident. I just inherited when I had three daughters and no sons, so my goal was 1)Get alliances fast and 2)Make sure they were matrilineal, so I could play as the same line. Some shockingly powerful countess in Wales agreed, because she was normal-married to her husband, so it wasn't like her son was of her own dynasty anyhow. I never thought to check her husband, as it was already exactly what I was looking for, and, welp. Turns out her Husband was the heir to Wales. So....... his heir is now matrilineally married to my firstborn daughter, and I doubt anyone can convince his son to drop her, as she's a genius. Meanwhile, my second daughter matrilineally married the third son of Northumbria. The first two brothers died without my intervention by really wanting to be knights and apparently not being very good at it. So that'll now inherit into my dynasty, too. Hopefully their children figure out how to overthrow the Danelaw, so I can have that and Wales as allies I can count on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT:
Back to the Mayor of Visby thing---if I make him a Duke of somewhere, will he then ditch the counties that are the wrong holding type, since they'll remain his vassals?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 12, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
drat it. I'm an idiot. Visby is the Dukedom title for Gotland. Why aren't you giving out those counties, you rear end in a top hat? :argh:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
War score contribution is loving broken and I hate it.

An ally called me to help put down an uprising of his. So I did. I captured the enemy commander in battle, and thereby won the war. Singlehandedly. My war contribution "0%". The gently caress it is. I did literally everything you scumbag game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
People weren't kidding with Ally AI in wars.... I haven't had too many problems when it's one war.... I've found the Allies actually make some reasonably intelligent maneuvers. But what's completely loving inexcusable is when you have multiple wars in different parts of the continent, and you call some allies to one war, and some to another war, they don't loving UNDERSTAND what war they're a part of, and whoever couldn't catch that has a lot of explaining to do.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Not joining a crusade caused everyone to hate me and then drink myself to death (and it was a stupid, stupid crusade---for a single county in Syria, when Catholicism already owned all the rest of Syria. Also, the Catholics lost.)

Now playing as the son of mine without any marriageable heirs, I have decided "gently caress Catholicism" and joined Insular Christianity as soon as it popped up, because people are always converting. Now, I can just make alliances by adding three additional wives. (Well, two alliances. For the third extra wife I found an amazonian lady floating around) I should have thought of this earlier. Stupid Crusades never did poo poo for me.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What's weird is having a guy in your court that you know is in line for the throne of another country, but he's of your dynasty now and you also need to keep him safe for the off chance that you can get a powerful ally later. One of my great nephews is next in line for Wales, but in my court, mostly just chilling. I went out and found him a wife with a bunch of inheritable claims in Ireland and decent stats.

How do you set up high partition once you have it? Do you have to get rid of elective, first?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Has anyone had a one legged character show up in any of the events where you actually had your legs shown? Or controlled one and logged off?

I'm interested if they actually show up on the screen with a peg leg or something.

I have noticed some of my "maimed" characters in court are very clearly missing part of an arm. I'm just kind of interested in all the little bits they put into the character models.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Broken Cog posted:

Nope, one legged characters aren't missing any limbs. You can check this easily if you, your spouse, or your heir has it, and you just go to the main menu. They will show up there.

That's what I meant, I just didn't want to switch characters to one to find out.

It's understandable, but mildly disappointing.

Happen to see anyone missing a right eye? Every character I have seen with missing an eye is the left one. Actually, same with arms, now that I think on it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Strudel Man posted:

You can't if you already hold a kingdom or empire title, sadly.

You can't buy an equal rank once you're king or emperor, but a king should be able to buy an empire title.

As for exclaves.... finding a balance here is going to be work. I want them to leave in sea lanes.... to a degree. Like, Scandanavian starts should be able to take land unmolested on the other side of the Baltic. The UK should be able to take parts of France. Various places might want to take a stab at Brittany, which in turn might want to attack and expand in countries that aren't France. North Africa attacking some of the southern parts of Europe isn't remotely a stretch, especially if they grab the various islands.

But.... how it's implemented is ridiculous. It seems like each little exclave need only be a certain distance from the last one, and that's that. I'm not sure what the fix is.

RE: Teleporting levies
This can be fixed by simply making the time it takes to raise the levies take considerably longer the farther the chosen location is from the capital. I know from brutal experience that it already does to some degree, having been on the receiving end of declaring a war, and the enemy bull-rushing my levies while they raised near the borders, routing my assembling army and also preventing any more levies from being raised, as though all had been captured/slain/deserted, even though I outnumbered them 4-1. which was pretty devastating and forced me to rely heavily on allies and mercs. If it took a little longer to raise levies from distance, you could conceivably catch someone spread out too thin with their pants down, believe me, it's quite effective at crippling the army it happens to.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ice Fist posted:

That makes sense.

Next question, if I don't want the Kingdom of Scotland to go independent when I die what's the best course of action? Hang onto the land until I can form the Empire? Integrate it into primary title?

I didn't think of that until now, but aggressively incorporating territory into your primary title would actually mean smaller and smaller kingdoms would be divided among your other heirs, eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I hate the drunk visual effect. Why does a character immediately go into late stage alcoholism? It just makes characters everywhere look super ugly.