Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
As a fool who got burned by Imperator, I know I should be more wary about this game, but darn it CK2 is my favorite PDX game and I've played it since launch. It better be good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

So I had my first instance of hubris defeating me. King of Ireland, attacking Ailech - easy, in my mind. Well I guess the guy built "walls" and "defenses" or something, because even though my 2400 troops kicked his rear end up and down the island, while my troops were sitting on their asses trying to siege the death trap, his 400 dudes marched down to my capital, waltzed in, and captured me, ending the war at the point of a sword.

Amazing game, 10/10, already know I'm going to love it.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

So I decided to start as William the Bastard, and I'm starting to notice some annoying things with the war AI. I was able to beat Godwinson with my Danish and French allies in 3 years, sure, but when I took over England and had to face Hardrada, it took another 6 years or something of counter-sieging and ping-ponging his armies up and down Britain. I just couldn't kill enough of his guys each time we met, so he'd run away, get his morale back up, then come roaring back to siege some poo poo while I was unsieging some town. That began to feel tedious, near the end. Was I just being inefficient? I hadn't spent money on mercs or MaAs yet, because I didn't know how things were going to go. It also seems like the real move for William is just wait until the Harolds fight each other a few times, then come in to hit the winner. Hmmm, where have I heard that one before.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Jedit posted:

In the actual historical narrative, which is why you should have considered trying that first.
:thejoke:

Yeah, think I'm gonna take another stab at William, try and get the Norman Yoke achievement by culture converting and then handing out titles.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Ok, this is annoying. I had a really great start as Haestein, and I made the Kingdom of Brittany, and no achievement. Well somehow ironman got disabled between me ENABLING it and me starting the game. Frustrating. I pulled out such a clutch win in that first war even after the French got involved! Maybe I'll try invading the kingdom of Africa next time, see how that goes.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

OK, now I'm really frustrated. I've tried 4 times now to try and get this achievement with Haesteinn, and each time I get hosed. I just can't get the perfect storm of events that I got my first time that allowed me to seize Brittany, then Cornwall, and raid enough to get the cash to make the titles. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just abandon Montaigu entirely for somewhere else that's easier than being next to Charles and his 10,000 kids?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

I've come back to this after a few years away, and I like a lot of changes, although I wish there was a little more variety in court interactions.

I will say though, I'm still stumped on how to deal with a stronger neighboring kingdom. I created Ireland, and Scotland started falling apart quickly enough, but England is just too big, and all my allies are too far away and either don't send help or don't attach their armies to mine. (I've seen that second one happen a lot, to the point where I wonder if allies are literally only good as a bluff to keep the AI from attacking.)

I know the broad strokes of what I should do - destabilize their realm through intrigue and murder, but even going down the intrigue lifestyle ups my success chances from lol to just a coin flip. What exactly can I do? In CK2 I would look at courtiers and bribe the best plot chance ones, but I can't find anything like that. Should I just try again from the start and be way more aggressive in Wales and Scotland, going into them the moment I can?

Secondly, how in the hell are you meant to get the prestige for culture reforming? I'd be lucky to get the 2000 for the easiest ones, lol at the 15000 ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Haven't played in almost 2 years, thought I'd try it again in Ireland in the early ages, and why the gently caress is Sudreyar so loving strong? They just steamrolled Scotland, and then turned on me. 10k+ men, bunch of Huscarls. Yes, I have alliances - England and Brittany - and even with them I get up to 6-7k, and nowhere near enough Men at Arms.

I guess I'm asking for advice about how to start as an Irish chieftain, because I feel like I'm at a loss. Is there something I'm missing? Would sending a hostage to Ivar do anything? What is the fastest way to feudalize?