Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
So we know what time zone they’re using for launch date? I’m hoping to be able to play next Monday night (PST) since it’s only 8GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

LordMune posted:

We usually hit the big release button in the afternoon Central European Time, but I don't know if we've announced any exact timing for CK3 yet.

Tell me there’s a giant novelty button.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Probably going to do the tutorial and then try to build the Habsburgs up from the single county (I think it’s single county in 1066) to master the micro parts of dynasty/house management and plant our inbred asses on several thrones.

However...
CK3 is adding the extant Bozo culture group in modern Mali, so Clown Empire, 2020.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

26. Kings to the Seventh Generation: starting as Count Eudes of Anjou in 867, lead your dynasty to rule the Kingdom of France.
20. Frankokratia: as a French Catholic, hold and completely control the Kingdom of Thessalonika without holding or being vassalised to the Byzantine Empire.
21. From Rags to Riches: starting as a count, lead your line to rule an empire.
32. Moving up in the World: increase your rank.

/\ Well I guess that’s my generic Catholic start for first full game after making Ireland in the tutorial.

Speaking of, this is guaranteeing that I’ll do the tutorial:
46. The Emerald Isle: starting as an Irish ruler, hold the Kingdom of Ireland.

Also, it’s not just 5 sites?:
43. Seven Holy Cities: as a Hindu ruler, hold all seven Hindu holy sites at the same time.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Does anyone know if 1066 starts have pre-assigned Dynasty paths (I think that’s what they’re called? Like L2 Blood, Kin, etc), and if so are they randomized or anything?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Ham posted:

EnterElysium's Harold Godwinson video is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQk_JIZtdM

I didnt watch any other than the OPBavarian one, but it looks like a bunch of them picked Spain :/
Skipped this one since the thumbnail looked like the stereotypical YouTube personality thing, but he’s really good at explaining wtf is going on.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Comely becomes Beautiful when they’re of age? Not sure. Not sure; maybe they’re separate. Watching the Ghana video.

Quill18’s seems pretty good, too. Post-unification Spain, and he sounds a bit like Wallace Shawn.

The hardest start one showed a lot of battles if that’s your thing.

A little weird that the intrigue icon on the map (bottom right) and beautiful trait icon are the same?

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 26, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Re: embark-only vs distance from earlier: From the quill18 video it’s 1 gold to embark for any distance (eastern Spain to near-Jerusalem). 1g per 100 troops, rounded up.

Downunder Gaming does an interesting religious reform.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 26, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

The crusade seizing Galicia, only for the new kingdom to immediately fall to a Tomboy uprising and accept an alliance with its former king, is exactly the kind of story I love this series for.

That was some hilarious sped up Iran poo poo.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Dawn of Man is my go to chill game these days. Watching your little stone age people fish and hunt deers is pretty relaxing. If that's still too complex then UnderMine is a pretty great zelda style rogue-lite.

That’s a good one. I’m staying in the first age until I get 1,000 of all of the available animals and tools/resources, then going to the next one (I’ve played most of it on hardcore so this is the chill version). Getting 20 mammoths or rhinos in a session is a good feeling and you can listen to podcasts or ambient music while you play.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Its friday, please "accidentally" release the game now thank you

Hit the button. Come on.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm trying really hard not to buy this as I was terrible at ckii, but... More noob-friendly sounds appealing.

It took me 180 hours until I felt that I could make change in the CK2 world rather than just react to what others were doing, so I feel you. Maybe I’m just not particularly great at strategy games, though—in xcom my brain starts straining when I get up to 6 squad members. CK2 had that ‘click’, though, where once you have all of the mechanics and weird rules (oops i pressed a claim for some guy and he made a 1 county petty kingdom and won’t join me) figured out it’s smooth sailing, so hopefully this makes it easier for people to get to the okay level.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Well well well guess who found out that their company has Friday off for a 4 day weekend? Getting the long socks and large-mouth water bottles out of the ol musty closet.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Doltos posted:

It's really not that much of an issue. Through making the game more macro it also gives way more customization to your player character and heirs. Like it's more that all your decisions matter less than none of your decisions matter. The lifestyle tree is just super important now.

What I don't like is how they reduced the amount of traits your player gets because again the lifestyle tree is very important. That isn't even really a bad thing, it's just different.

So is it that you think about the family as a whole more, instead of just straight focusing on your character/heir(s), cousins be damned?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

1453: Mehmed II approaches the gates of Constanstinople with 3 buttons...

Don’t worry. Constantine XI says he’ll be leading the troops!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Ah, did not know that.

On the one hand I do have gamepass. On the other...do we know if saves are able to migrate between windows store and steam games? Also, it may be worth the money to have the game on a platform that isn't known to be unstable at best.

If you don’t like it then you saved 100% of the purchase price, though.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Achievements seem very...achievable, too. Was this how CK2 was at launch? That start as that French count and become King of Jerusalem one I never got close to, much less the Aladdin achievement. (I know these came with DLC, but the toughest one this time seems to be convert all of Africa to your reformed pagan religion)

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I Am Fowl posted:

Have we had any indication as to whether or not horse events are in ck3? I'd love to have a great dynasty of horses.

None seen in the wild yet, but I’ll miss my goofy horse bishop.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wonder if the Game of Thrones one will actually reach parity with the CK2 one, given how the show ended and folks seem much less interested in it. It'd be a shame if it never did, because that was a seriously good mod.

I think someone pointed out in this thread or the CK2 thread that aging modifiers will be much easier to mod, since it’s baked into a dynasty-trait (bloodline? I forget the terminology), so there could be some cool things with that like a LotR mod where elves can actually be 1,000 years old.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Lol One Proud Bavarian’s 7 hour stream showed (23:38 on the stream) the Seljuks at year 1404. +43.82 renown per month from 1541 living members giving +30.82 per month alone with the King of France getting 2.47. Every dynasty unlock unlocked. God drat why can’t it be tomorrow. I can finally get in on the ground floor of day 1 paradox breaks and have a great time.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

hopeandjoy posted:

Jokes on you, my class tomorrow ends right at 12 pm.

...but I then have to do homework first before playing or else my strategy game obsessed ADHD brain won’t let me do anything else. :negative:

The smart real life player plays the game immediately. The wise real life player doesn’t flunk out of school when there’s Labor Day weekend right around the corner.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Arbite posted:

Still happens. Michael Eisner actually tried to claim some to those of d'Isigny if Disney Wars is to be believed.

The cheese?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The other thing about claim "fabrication" was that it was often just about tracing some distant connection to someone who once held the title, which could easily have been completely real in the sense that such a connection did exist; it's just that it was such a distant relation that using it as justification for why they should hold the title personally is flimsy. There's a lot more interrelation in real life than in CK since the game will attempt to cull extraneous family members so there are a lot more dead ends on family trees - but in real life those people just kept on getting married and having kids and even if 99% of them ended up being unimportant, they could still serve as a connection to make one of these sorts of claims.

It's like the thing about how basically anyone of European descent could legitimately trace themselves back to Charlemagne. It would just be a matter of finding the documentation that would be used to prove that connection, which your average person probably wouldn't have but royalty almost certainly would.

In my mind it’s been fake it by paying off a corrupt priest to forge church documents about ‘oh right THAT secret bastard child x of y that secretly was legitimized’. It’s fabricate a claim, not pull a Hey Gal and comb through local records for 5 years.

Haesteinn starts with 2600 prestige, which is enough for an invasion of a Kingdom. Praise be!

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 1, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

My favorite ?apocryphal? story is the let them eat cake comment was more about having baguettes and brioche, so if the peasants are out of baguettes, why don’t they eat brioche in the meantime? What’s hunger? More of a ‘this person is out of touch and doesn’t understand hunger’ since they’re a ~20 year old rich girl vs ‘this person is telling us to eat poo poo and go gently caress ourselves’ kind of thing.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

steam is taunting me

Samoa?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Good gabbin’ with you all. Semper Games, friends. Be back after 3 rough post-work nights and a 4 day weekend of poopsocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

That was basically the point of it. Nobility were so well off and disconnected from the reality that they had to go. It was also attributed after the revolution, so it was more of a justification.

I had always heard it as ‘let them eat cake’ = ‘they can eat poo poo’ and it was a lot more aggressive than ‘I fundamentally do not understand lack of material nourishment’. I may have had bad history teachers.