Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Yay! Welcome to the club, eonwe :)

I'm really torn on who to play first after the tutorial. I think I'll probably play like 50 years as Murchad in Ireland, just to be sure I understand most mechanics. Unless the tutorial is so good that I'm already feeling confident about my understanding of the game. But then there are so many intriguing options. One of the new faiths you can play in the expanded parts of Africa allow for river sailing, and the Niger is right there! I mean, look at this:

The course of the river makes it possible to easily raid practically everybody, this is so cool. And it's great that you can play fully developed non-Abrahamic African rulers from the start.

On the other hand, when major DLCs hit, I usually would bust out the Umayyads, and retake the Caliphate from those traitorous Abbassids, making sure none of their blood remain (which is pretty difficult with a dynasty that regularly has 100+ members). The expanded African map also brings additional opportunities and challenges to a Southern Spanish start. And there are also special buildings to consider:

How about returning the Umayyads to their rightful places as Caliphs, while also building the Alhambra? That sounds good, too. But I've already done this half a dozen times...

And I'd also like to try out the new start in Myanmar, unlike many others, I've always liked playing in the region of India and Tibet. Especially now that the Western Protectorate is no longer present.

Choices, choices. I'm super excited for the game!

the main thing i wonder for those outside of europe locations is how content filled they are. sure they're in technically, but any mechanics that represent their unique situations have had 0 attention in dev diaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

does anyone know if the game is still as restrictive with mods and achievements as other paradox titles?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ilitarist posted:

Finally we have our answer.

i feel like he could have better stats then that, it'd be a bit silly if within generations your family has better stats then a major figure like that

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Swedish Horror posted:

Hold it there for a couple seconds, or go into setting and change the lock mode to be middle mouse click or auto lock.

thanks, i was having this exact same problem

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

has anyone found a button to just pay ransoms for imprisoned family members? i want these guys in my court so i can give em land

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the game defaulting to non ironman and no warning before starting a game is very annoying

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

where exactly do i see my stress level?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fair warning to tribals: going feudal is not easy. 10 development sounds like nothing but tribals get huge penalties to dev growth, learning all the technologies takes forever cause your guys are likely dum dums and reforming a religion required a lot of faith, my norse religion requires more then 4000!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

where is the create new faith button? im a pagan if that matters. don't see it in the faith screen or in the decisions screen

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i just got a reform button, i suppose its not possible for unreformed pagans. this makes turning feudal rather hard as you need 3 holy sites from all around the map

edit: just noticed ironman randomly turned off when resuming yesterdays game today? rather nasty bug

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Anybody playing any tribals? I'm struggling to find where I can up my tribal authority - it doesn't seem to show up in my realms page. Can someone tell me specifically how I am being stupid?

theres 4 buttons on top of your realm page

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there is a serious bug where the game keeps slipping out of ironman, anyone else encounter this?

started as ironman, a few years later it falls out of it. never loaded a game, never saved, never quit the game

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

TotalHell posted:

I swear to god I enabled Ironman before starting my current game in order to get achievements. Played for a couple hours, didn’t see anything pop up, went and checked after my save and Ironman is off. What the gently caress.

i have the same issue, there's a small thread about it on the forums i found but with no solution

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-ironman-becoming-disabled-mid-game-losing-access-to-achievements.1415422/

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

JosefStalinator posted:

I swear I found it earlier but can't find it again - is there a way to see which religions control x amount of counties, like the old ledgers?

i saw a button in the religion screen that brought out a comparison, id take a pic but im at work

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah definitely. theres a couple real obvious bad points of the new UI and thats one. i hope this stuff can be fixed i worry a lot of it will be harder to fix than it looks.
especially since that reorganise army screen is incredibly, incredibly crucial and lacks all functions you'd want and like you say, doesn't quite work at its one function.
you cant even select multiple units at once as far as i know which is a very obvious basic feature.
i want to be able to setup a template like "okay divide my army thusly in terms of numbers and quality" and maybe even be able to send those template armies to diff rally points automatically!

i also really dislike that you can't sort a lot of lists. like as far as i can tell you can't sort vassals on the domain screen by religion or even see their skills

Speaking of religion, being able to see all your vassals religion at a glance to mass demand conversion (and a mass demand conversion button) feel like incredibly obvious needed features i cant find anywhere

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bori rulers hold 4 out of 5 holy sites but the reform is blocked by saying "You don't hold 3 sites" so I think it must be the former?

its personal or vassals. i did it by converting to a small faith (for example, that baltic one)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there really needs to be a better way to see your vassals with non standard (ie reduced after a civil war) onligations then clicking every single going and going to the modify obligations screen

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

does the abduct scheme keep bugging out for anyone else? It goes to the last stage, i click go and then it gets stuck forever. can't cancel it either

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i wish you could get rid of lovers pox

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

my game got completely ruined when my heir was hindu out of nowhere, causing everywhere to revolt and go for independence instantly. very annoying

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tippis posted:

Am I missing some clever icon or keyboard shortcut or is there no way to raise specific parts of your army?

All I want is to get my men at arms, a few knights, and maybe some levies, but there doesn't seem to be any sensible way to be that selective. Individual merc units can be raised, and levies can sort of (imprecisely) be divvied up by having multiple rally points, but actually trying to raise anything other than those mercs just makes a huge pile of just about everything that I then have to go through to separate and disband the bits I don't want. And if there are any hostiles nearby, not even that option is available.

What am I missing? Or is the game that is missing that? I just want simple “raise [whatever]” buttons on the men-at-arm companies and knights. :ohdear:

i haven't found one, enjoy the year long army raising times late game!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Descar posted:

I just read that you lose every building when transition from tribal to feudal society,
as i'm playing as a viking, that would be a game killer.

My goal to just transition peacefully up in the north has changed,
and I'll need to conquer a feudal society first,
Some unlucky feudal nation is gonna have a visit from the 23,000 horde i have managed to gather.

anyway. 10/10 game, never played CK2 before and this is my first run.
just smashed the swedes, 59 years old and am now king of Vestlond/Norway/Denmark and Sweden.

also watch out for the fact that all your retinues will suddenly require gold for upkeep

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im done for now. first try so i didn't get everything, all the steppe areas suck rear end to conquer anyway

a big reason for gavelkind is probably the ai falling apart at the slightest push. you still get a bunch of rebellions with primogeniture to slow you down a bit (at one point i had a dozen kingdoms split off) but those losses can be recovered easily. some other thoughts:

-tree wise military is worthless once you get past early game the thing slowing you down isn't your military strength but how much your vassals like you and how many casus belli you can get. even better then casus belli however, is just taking over nations non violently. abduct a ruler, convert him to your religion and use the offer vassalization bonus from the middle diplomacy tree to non violently absorb any nation that isn't big. the other big obstacle is that huge late game armies will likely send you into insta debt, hard to stop

-once you get big warfare is extremely tedious solely due to muster time, it takes forever, i often just declared on 5-6 nations at a time and rolled over one by one, the ai isn't quick enough at capping, and they'll likely go for the same targets too, to resist most of the time. for tedium reasons i just started accepting any non independence peasant revolt, the mustering costs me more money then the loss in control. the game desperately needs a way to just only deploy like 10k troops, i don't need all 100k for every conquest. never need that much really. world conquest is a lot easier/more fun then ck2 though. easier at times and significantly less tedious then eu4

-after a while i just had too many vassals to get under the limit unless i carefully redistributed after every war, i didn't bother and didn't need to

-you can get almost all other cultures tech by just spreading yours to their area. at least one needed a decision you can't get as an outsider, i didn't get enough indian greek land for 2 of the indian tech maybe they do too.

-don't build baronies in your land, income wise its better then cities (oddly enough) but low nobles don't gently caress so unless you want to control every single one personally you will get a popup every so often about them going back to your control, very annoying. build churches, they give piety!

-it would be really nice if special buildings were easy to find somehow

-all the byzantine/roman events are recycled from ck2, only give prestige

-you can call in dynasty members for renown, don't do that, the trees are very strong

-there is no look at the map or history page when you win for anything except your ruler, major shame

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

You don't need to raise your entire army for every war, just interrupt mustering with crtl+click. My tribal empire already does this all the loving time so I don't waste a ton of gold maintaining 10k levies I won't need. Your men-at-arms will instantly raise so your best troops will always be there.

(incidentally this can be exploited to teleport your men at arms across the map by moving rally points)

ah that would have been nice to known and have massively sped up the game, don't think it tells you anywhere. i did move the rally point constantly though

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

I am hoping there will be ways to reform your traits in a future dlc, like you could do in a religious society in CK2. Ways which would be stressful but also have events and story, not just a number.

this is already possible, but it seems entirely up to random events. i know theres an event tree to get either cynical or zealous, and diplomats (i think?) can get an event tree to remove negative traits from their adult children and turn them into virtues.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Do buildings that give a realm bonus work if you control them via vassal instead of being part of your demesne?

EDIT: Also, anyone knows how fast does the Offensive War malus decay, and whether there is a perk or council task somewhere that makes it decay faster?

I tried to figure out the first question myself and I settled on sometimes. It's somewhat hard to check cause all the counters just mention 'from domain' but some learning bonuses for example didn't appear but some other renown bonuses did appear, perhaps cause those affect the whole dynasty and they were owned by family. To be sure I made all the best special buildings I found part of my domain

Offensive war is like, 1.25 point per month when not at war, don't know any perks

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Wilekat posted:

I decided it would be funny to turn to Witchcraft as a stress option for my king, which apparently added as a secret to him. I just discovered I can try to turn my friend into a witch too, but nobody else as far as I can tell.

Do I turn Ireland to the Horned God? Is this a secret religion or something? I couldn't find anything about the witchcraft modifier anywhere in the game, though I may just be dense.

if you get enough people in your family with it you can give the dynasty a permanent modifier with a small health boost and some other stuff. not sure if every religion/culture can do this though

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you can only use women's claims if the ruler is a kid or another woman. it says so in the religion screen where your inheritance laws are, its a bit hidden

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i consistently had 80+ year old rulers after filling the blood tree and completing my eugenics project which was nice. your rulers get better with age with dynasty traits and the long reign bonuses add up. also makes planning and filling skill trees way easier

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Taear posted:

I'm playing Ironman, there are no other saves for sure. I went into the folders listed and it was just the one (the corrupt one)

are you using cloud saves? those are seriously bugged! paradox is aware of it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Does the Architected Ancestry legacy even work? I picked Albino, and then 100 years later did a search for how many there were in my dynasty. 2 out of 1343 living members had it.

it worked for me with the rabbit trait. difference might be that albino is also a negative one, and thus likely to be bred out thanks to the other legacies? but im not entirely sure how it works behind the scenes