Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this will be my first CK game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

orangelex44 posted:

Anyone have their first game planned yet? I think I'm going to try being one of the Viking invaders of England in the early start, it seems like a good chance to test out the new religion mechanics in a relatively, but not entirely, isolated position. My traditional warm-up of Irish petty king -> high king -> crusader king can wait until the second go-round.

I was going to ask something like this. If anyone has any suggestions for a game to play after I do the tutorial, I'd appreciate it. :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I watched enough videos to see that its newbie friendly and it looks like a game I've always wanted to play so I went ahead and bought it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think what sold me on this game as a newbie was the fact that I could watch someone play it and be genuinely invested in the outcome of what happens

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain how you get justification to invade a territory via marriage? Would it be via having a child with a claim?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain causus belli to me?

I understand some counties I have an inherent claim to. I also understand I can fabricate a claim. How do I do more 'legit' claims than that?

From reading documents I could invite a claimant, give them a county to make them my vassal, and then press their claim. Is that right?

Also, how do inherited claims work? Lets say I have a daughter and I marry off to a son, and we'll say in France. Do her children get any claims in any way? What if I marry a son off to someone elses daughter?

And I guess if I want, I could keep bribing the pope into loving me so I can get a claim? (Assuming I'm Catholic)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CuddleCryptid posted:

Making a vassal then pressing their claims is one way to get claims, although that can be difficult to arrange. If you are starting out and the map is still fractured then the easiest way to get more claims is to make new higher titles. If you own a majority of the counties in a Dutchy then you can form the Dutchy for a gold price, and after which you can press the claims of the rest of the dutchy you haven't conquered yet.

So for example, I have a dutchy that is five counties. I conquer three through other means to get a majority, then form the dutchy they are a part of. After that I can press de jure claims on the remaining two and take them into my dutchy.

Kingdoms work the same way, just on a larger scale. If you can get half the dutchies in a kingdom then you can claim the other half, which can end up being a dozen counties.

oh poo poo that makes sense, I knew I was missing something *big*

ty

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to invite a specific person to court? I can't seem to figure out how to invite someone, just a call for courtiers in general

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you sure can, they're just extremely likely to refuse :v:

push the C button and be amazed, then right click somebody and they may, depending on criteria I don't fully understand, have an invite-to-court option (it's probably the same criteria as whether or not you can recruit them if imprisoned)

ty

also, how do I appoint a commander of my army as opposed to leading it myself?

anyway this game really clicked with me tonight. I had a huge back and forth war with Hungary and lost 2 and a half hours lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kyle Hyde posted:

Man the secrets and hooks system is exactly what CK needed. I love all the different ways you can learn secrets, the types of secrets there are, etc.
All I know is that dumbass kings nowhere near me constantly banging things and me finding out is what paid for me to create the empire of france

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I took over all of Spain barely fending off factions through judicious use of murder and imprisonment

feels good man

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blimpkin posted:

Keep him in jail and use your bishop to get a claim. He can't do anything in prison, and once you have the claim you'll be able to revoke without tyranny.

the answer to most any problem with a noble is imprisoning them

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Was IRL inheritance really as goofy as how its portrayed in this game? Even with whats essentially an in game wiki it can be tough to track

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
man you know whats a really fun thing to do? becoming a cannibal and eating the pope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

War is profoundly profitable throughout the entire game. Ransoms are probably the absolute best way to make money to invest in infrastructure.

e: VVVV Indeed. There is a fun little trick though where if you can conquer something feudal, you grant that to your Primary heir along with a title that's equal in rank to your own (though I'm not 100% sure that part is required), and then when you take over as them you're now a feudal ruler with an unreformed religion, which means you can still use the conquest CB and raid all over the place, which allows for some fun shenanigans all it's own. Less useful as Daurama though because if you're going to do Mother of Us All you will be making your own religion anyway and you can just mash OP tenets in there.

My favorite thing to do is ransom a bunch of people right as I'm about to capture their capitol. Yes, when you release people the war score percentage drops back down, but hey, you just captured their capitol again, it's probably fine. Its basically free money