Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

BluesShaman posted:

Can I still create a harem of genius women to give me genius heirs?

Can I still imprison or execute undesirable heirs?

Yes to the harem, no to the execution; but if you have the sadist trait you can use hostile scheme against your kids and assassinate them.

AtomikKrab posted:

My body is ready but my wallet is not.

CK3 is launching on PC Game Pass which can still be had for the $1 trial period!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Raged posted:

Is there a reason we can't preorder this on steam?

There are problems with age restrictions / ratings if you're in Australia that caused it to be pulled. They're trying to resolve them and recently fixed it for New Zealand.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I wonder if HIP or CK2+ will make the move, love those

HIP has alresdy transitioned develoment to CK3.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Robert of Apulia in 1066 is always a fun start, not too easy but also powerful. You start with a horde of ambitious family and dynasty members, are in a war with the Byzantines for control of Epirus, and are perfectly situated to take Sicily from the Muslims and form the Kingdom of Sicily.

From then on you can use your power base to either invade the HRE for their Italian holdings, to inherit them through strategic marriages with Matilda of Tuscany, or to just wait till they eventually secede from the HRE and gobble them up - or you can go an entirely different path with the crusades and try to eke out a crusader realm in the outremer.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Introducing CK3 - War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ-2odgsKpo

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

fuf posted:

I'm still enjoying these but in some ways it's hard to know who the target audience is. The content is too introductory for experienced players, but they are so fast-paced and cursory that I don't think new players would find them very useful either.

I also kind of get the sense that Paradox wrote the scripts for all three streamers and they are just reading them out?

What we really need is some good streamers to just start doing normal videos.

I agree. I'm not sure if this helps new people, but maybe the narrative explanation helps sell the basic concepts?

I'm hopeful that streamers will be able to publish their videos starting tomorrow.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

teacup posted:

Are they doing a pre load on steam?

Probably not, judging by previous releases. Game is 8GB according to the requirements on Steam.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Veryslightlymad posted:

One thing I would like to see is with hooks: we know that if you have a strong hook on someone, you can force them into your schemes, but I bfeel like they should have an opportunity to expose their own secret, depending on what you're asking them to do. Like, if you ask someone to murder someone they have an enormous opinion of, there should be some people who still refuse, even at great risk to themselves.

Imagine having a strong hook on a rival king and trying to get him in on your plot to murser his only heir. No one would do that.

I like the mechanic, but it has potential to be really stupid depending on if it is literally a "cannot refuse" or not.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Imperator is a fine game but yes the reception will be similar.

Paradox fans are hilariously predictable

Imperator is not a fine game, lol

And "Paradox fans" can't be that predictable when the "trend" you're referencing is only for one game. :nono:

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

teacup posted:

I think this one has a lot of “internet street cred” going for it, bubbling above the just general scene. Stellaris had a lot of issues and look at it now- huge reception.

Super fans are the worst, and the correct response to anyone who wants to rip on a new game (other than if it’s a buggy mess) in the series is “then play CK2 then?”

I can’t wait!!

Good to hear it’s only 8GB. Does anyone know what time it normally unlocks? I’m in Australia (ordered on steam)

Probably 4 PM Central European Summer Time so about midnight for you I'd guess.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like Paradox fans are pretty inclined to leave negative reviews these days.

It might seem that way in passing but to me its reflective of the quality of the DLC and the monetization for each individual game. Here's how the latest DLCs for each of their big games did, it's not a general negative trend in any way:

For their full releases after CK2:

Imperator was an outlier because it was a bad game, no matter how many times someone goes "Imperator was ROBBED".

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Hordes are playable as tribals, catholicism has no college of cardinals or antipopes.

Crusade/Jihad mechanics are basically Holy Fury.

Ham fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 25, 2020

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

disaster pastor posted:

Wasn't there a DD or a Q&A where they said the Byzantines have a simplified inheritance structure right now, and expanding that is going to come in a DLC where their goal is to get it much better than CK2 did?

I remember that as well but can't place where they said it.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-39-achievements-showcase

Achievements and poo poo

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Vichan posted:

Most of those seem really fun and not too frustrating.

They might be basic but I'm a big fan of 'start as [character] and control [nation]' achievements.

What the gently caress is going on here though:

quote:

4. A Perfect Circle: have only two distinct parents, grandparents, and great grandparents, counting absent ancestors as individual characters.

And good news!

quote:

Rise from the Ashes: restore the Roman Empire

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Dante posted:

Is there an embargo on streamers until release? I'm hesitant to buy a paradox title without seeing it in action even though I love CK2. Seems strange streamers aren't part of the hype marketing before release.

Streamers will start releasing content around 6PM CEST today.

orangelex44 posted:

They don't have a single achievement about crusading. How?

quote:

19. For the Faith: take part in a successful Great Holy War, on either side

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
EnterElysium's Harold Godwinson video is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQk_JIZtdM

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Gamerofthegame posted:

part of me is kinda worried given the iberia thunderdome focus, like some of these finish that off in two years

seems quick

Catholic Spain is being Catholic Spain.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Pyromancer posted:

I've heard tales of this mythical "Game Pass", but looking where people say it is only finds "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found." as soon as I reveal where I'm from. Some foul sorcery is afoot, I'm sure.

It isn't really worth it in my opinion, but you can get around that by:

- changing the Microsoft Store region to US
- buying Xbox $10 digital codes off US Amazon, which you can do with any international card so long as the shipping address is in the US.
- redeem your code on the Xbox app and claim the $1 trial offer for however long it's there for

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Doltos posted:

Since spiff sent me this I count this as him breaking the NDA

What the hell is going on here, drat.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
The last of the tutorial videos, covering Religion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOo6l6FG1wE

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's the advantage to preordering?

You get a clothes DLC called "Garments of the Holy Roman Empire" which includes this stuff.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
So about the Australia situation, Paradox hasn't said anything definitive yet but there's a good chance it might be because of this: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2005L01286

Looks like this really might take a while to resolve if they have to publish a separate version of the game without incest/sex events.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

That guideline was repealed in 2013 which is super loving obvious if you click the link.

It was repealed by an act that includes the exact same language, so sorry for posting the wrong link I guess?

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2012L01934

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

PittTheElder posted:

I mean the line right before that is "gratuitous, exploitative, or offensive depictions of", which I would hardly think applies.

Maybe nude 3D characters in events is what pushes it over that line?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

PittTheElder posted:

Wait are the characters actually going to be nude for the nudist types or whatever?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

LordMune posted:

The art team truly went above and beyond. We all did; this is not a game Paradox Dev Studio could have released as late as just a couple of years ago. Not that there won't be missteps and disappointments (in other titles) in the future, but I feel CK3 has fundamentally transformed the games we make and how we make them.

Congrats on making what looks to be a phenomenal game, and I was also on the Stellaris train from the start! I'm curious though, what changed internally to allow for the kind of shift you speak of? Is it simply good project management and tech investment?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

FETCH ME THE BREASTPLATE STRETCHER!!

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Last dev diary, showcasing the dev team as well as the patch notes: https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-40-a-new-journey-begins-release-dev-diary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Spymaster Cat will be the new Glitterhoof