Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I've always had a soft spot for playing as a vassal of a large kingdom before bursting forth in an independence war. CK2 had a Norse duke in frisia I think, creating a Norse kingdom from inside a Cristian one is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fuf posted:

yeah wtf does this mean

Sounds like an incest thing to me

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, I think the 20 minute thing is one of those youtube seo "optimal video length" things

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The thing about Stellaris was that they were making a game they didn't have a lot of experience with. The things that make a symmetric game like Stellaris good aren't always the same as what makes an historic asymmetric game like CK or EU good - it was understandable that it would take some refinement.

CK3 on the other hand... it's home territory. Paradox knows exactly how to make a game like this good, and with their new UI they're knocking it out of the park.

I am so hyped.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 27, 2020

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ham posted:

What the hell is going on here, drat.

Spiff highlighted some of the traits that were like, +2 random stat points per friend and +1 random stat point per child so... I guess if you just stack that poo poo with fertility bonuses you can do some impressive stuff.

Feels like this may need to be nerfed unless those stats give diminishing returns.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Guest posted:

Accountability, professional standards and practices, and being paid by a media outlet as opposed to a video games publisher. People on the internet think outlets like IGN etc. are all just paid shills but honestly not really. Especially in the last 10 years or so games journalism has gotten much better and become more of an established profession. Whereas youtube is basically the wild west and is much closer to the games journalism of old that everybody use to complain about and which gave the whole industry a bad reputation.

There's no reason to believe that they were paid on condition that they said good things about it. These people were going to do CK3 videos regardless of whether they get paid, so all this does is direct marketing budget into funding content that I enjoy which sounds great to me.

How is it different from the paradox streams? That is also footage of people being paid to play the game.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

fuf posted:

Nah man come on, don't fall for this. These videos were totally different from the from the videos they would have made if they'd just been allowed to stream as normal. None of them said anything good or bad about it at all. They didn't even really talk about mechanics. Instead we got some amateur dramatics vignettes. Which is fine but definitely a very different thing.

Totally different as in more restricted due to the NDA or totally different as in they actually hated it but had to hide it because they were being paid? Because that's the only relevant thing here, if they're paying them produced a false impression of the game then it's shady but otherwise it's fine.

This marketing budget was going to go on something that makes the game look good, might as well be this as long as it's not misleading and I don't see any reason to think that it is.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 28, 2020

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The characters really do look so bloody good. Frightening to think they almost went for cartoony graphics instead

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm really enjoying the game but I'm finding that title loss on succession really isn't very clear - at least not as Ireland under tanistry. I just lost half the kingdom because some distant relative is a duchess in Leon with no warning. I save scummed (and did the honourable thing and assassinated her to solve the problem) but there was no warning anywhere that this was going to happen. The only place it indicated it at all was on the succession screen where it said she was inheriting titles, but I swear in CK2 there's a massive warning about that.

Now my heir is my son, who is mysteriously in control of a barony in the HRE. If the tanistry electors decide that someone else should be my heir... I have no idea if my kingdom will split again. Also no idea how my heir ended up as a baron. I was his guardian then when I went to arrange his marriage he wasn't at my court. Not sure if this is buggy or if it's intended that family members will disappear from your court all the time.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Schnitzler posted:

You no longer get the warning, but you can still see the information under realm -> succession:

Edit: Unless you meant this by succession screen and not the "you have died and been succeeded by" screen you get on ruler death.

Yeah, but that screen is identical whether you're losing those titles personally to someone who will then become your vassal, or if those titles will leave your kingdom entirely. Under the partition laws you've always got a bunch of titles being lost on succession and the only way to know if they're going to leave your kingdom is to go through everyone manually and make sure they don't get granted land under some other liege at any point.

Also does anyone know if my son being a baron in the HRE would cause my kingdom to split if he inherits a bunch of land on succession without being my heir? I feel like because the duchy is a higher level title maybe the barony will leave the HRE instead but I'm not sure how it works.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve your army quality?

My army has gradually decreased in quality over time and I imagine there's somewhere I should have been investing money or research to improve the quality over time that I've just been missing but I can't see anything obvious. Most of my holdings have maxed out buildings (I don't have the tech for keeps yet so they're only level 2) and I have 6 regiments of men at arms... I don't really see what else I can do but my army is just stuck at "Decent" quality.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

"Quality" tends to reference the ratio of levies to knights/men-at-arms. Have you increased the size of your men-at-arms units?

I have done a few times but I feel like I'm really on the edge of my ability to fund them (down to -5 gold per tick when fully raised)

Are numbers more important than unit quality, so a higher quantity of cheaper men at arms such as archers or light footmen would be better than more expensive ones?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

Ahhh that's what confederate partition* does then. Thanks

Once you change succession law you can destroy additional kingdom titles if you need to.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Did it used to be possible to fabricate claims on your vassal's territory in CK2? Because it's so incredibly useful in 3, just free revocation to clean up your personal duchy.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Is the "Realm will lose land when Vassal dies" warning message bugged if you have high crown authority, or is that high crown authority is bugged and I'm actually going to lose this land?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think it's high crown authority that's bugged. I've seen some posts saying that they've lost titles from their realms despite their high authority.

Time to start stabbing I guess

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Is there a bug with wanderers that means there's no limit on age? I just found that my 6 year old son is "visiting" some other court and I can't assign him a guardian or invite him back to my court. My current character just inherited the kingdom and I'm not sure where he was before this, so I don't know if my son was left behind or if he just decided to walk half way across the world. All the other kids and my wife are in my capital so what the hell is going on?

Also is there any way for me to fix this? Will he come back at some point?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

They really need to do something about how crusades work when you're the victim of them.

I'm playing as the Norse and there was a crusade for England. I fought it, beat it comprehensively over a 4 year war in which I sieged Rome and captured the pope (who's worth 0% warscore by the way). I'd haemorrhaged about 1.5k gold over the course of the war so when I finally won it I figured there would be a decent pay-off, but instead I just got a handful of prestige and piety. If the pope had won he would have got a giant war chest, but if he loses that money just evaporates? How about I get some of that to cover my expenses at least?

10 years later, the pope declares the second crusade for England. I immediately press the surrender button and cede 10 provinces to him. My vassals will take them back in a few years.

It is basically never worth contesting a crusade, even completely dominating them is just a giant hole in your pocket for no gain.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gasmask posted:

Some characters are just chicken. There’s a hidden value for each called ‘boldness’ which is compared to your dread. Boldness can go negative so even if you have no dread they scan still be intimidated by you.

It can be a little silly, I was a 2 year old girl and my spy master was too intimidated by me to act against me

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there a mechanic where enemy armies can engage my armies one at a time in the same map tile? Or is this a bug?

I've seen this happen if there are multiple overlapping wars or a raid. If you're fighting a raider and an enemy army enters your tile it will wait for the battle to finish before starting a new one.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

What's the best way to break up a large stable enemy kingdom?

I've tried to get into CK2 and now CK3 for a while but never really understood what I was doing or felt confident my in-game decisions were making much difference to anything. After a few false starts I think things were starting to click with my Duke of Gascony run (I'm still flailing but at least enjoying myself).

Now I am at a loss as I pressed my claim on the Kingdom of Sardinia, which made me independent and tanked my relations with West Francia who now want all my Aquitanian duchies. I have no way of fighting them as they are the only power in western Europe, with double my troops and no prospective allies - Iberia has been taken over completely by Muslims, Italy is split between me, Francia and random independent rulers and Germany is being swallowed by reformed Lithuanian pagans.

The only thing I can think of is to keep trying to murder plot their kings to destabilise them, which is hard when your lineage has all been stewardship type low intrigue dudes. Is there anything I'm missing?

If you're able to get off confederate partition, consider staying as a mega-duke and swearing fealty to the biggest neighbouring kingdom. This will let you be a big fish among their vassals and give you room to expand further whilst under the protection of a larger power. Eventually you can grow large enough to either break free or take over the kingdom entirely which should give you more than enough strength to stand on your own.

Similarly if you don't want to destroy your kingdom title and there's an empire nearby, join that.

The liege-vassal relationship can be used to your advantage in both directions and it's far better to join willingly than have chunks taken out of you via conquests you have no chance of winning.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

eXXon posted:

Regarding this protection, being a vassal doesn't stop enemy rulers from declaring war to steal your counties (and I suppose duchies later on), and your negligent and/or malicious liege could decide to do absolutely nothing to stop it.

Although this is true, it does a lot more to put them off than if you were independent!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Just finished a game and out of the 14 characters I played as, 12 of them died from obesity.

Seems like that needs to be toned down a bit.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

Crusades are an exception to the mechanic that "capturing the enemy war leader wins the war" so that actually wouldn't work.

I feel like it should be worth at least some warscore though.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Blimpkin posted:

I was hoping for a 10 > 1 mod or something, where if multiples of the same popup appear they merge and just say "x6."

Or even better would be geographically based notifications, so if you're looking at the paper map you see the popup appear over the location of the event.

Ransomes don't need a confirmation popup at all when they accept the ransom. I wish you could customise which messages appear where.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Did they fix the fact that being over your vassal limit takes a really long time to recalculate making it really tough to work out if you've transferred enough vassals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

They should certainly have a limit on how strong they have to be before they pop, just like all the other revolts.

I wonder if the limit should be based on your kingdom's average development, representing the ability for the local forces to put it down on their own. It would also mean if you capture lots of low development territory very rapidly you're more likely to have issues than if you grow more slowly.