Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If anyone's interested there will be a daily MP game running on the Mapgoons discord for the release week. Four 3 hour sessions during the week, punctuated by a marathon 8 hour session on the Saturday.

The theme for the game is CHAOS, and you will be required to switch to another dynastic branch each of the 4 weekday sessions (if your starting dynasty doesn't have enough branches you'll have to switch to another dynasty altogether) but this restriction is removed for the marathon session and you can play any of your old branches.

This is a one-off game for shits and giggles and nobody is expected to take it seriously or even show up for all the sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Congenital traits have a chance to reinforce (upgrade).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The idea of there being ethics in game journalism (or with Youtubers who rely even more on this kind of sponsorship) in 2020 when Rome: Imperator literally just happened a year ago is hilarious.

Most of these CK2 videos are good because they're trying to put a funny spin on things and they're all trying to do old runs in the new system and showing it off. It works because CK2 genuinely looks like a good game and it's very familiar so I did pre-order a while ago. The roleplaying some of the Youtubers are doing is fun but I'm not so naive as to think they wouldn't be trying to do the same if they thought the game was bad. Every video is sponsored which means we're not getting independent reviews, we're getting scripted videos with terms made and possibly censored in some places.

In fact the way PDX is doing this media push should be a warning sign because they're literally paying people directly this time around rather than just giving them the game early and letting them do honest reviews, good or bad.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think they basically constructed a pretty advanced character generator, kind of how like EVE online lets you mess around with your portrait for hours doing tiny little details and it's just used as an afterthought. There's lots of different zones on characters faces that can be completely randomized to get a lot of variety.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If you have good men at arms regiments, it's totally worth it to split your raiding armies into just small enough that your raid target will actually fight it. You'll probably win easily because he'll be mostly levies and you can farm piety real good this way from a series of smaller battles.

When I reformed Norse it cost me 6800 piety but I was able to get it easily enough through raiding and fighting in Spain. I also learned that the 'raid for captives' CB can be used on anyone you share a border with, and if you're a big buff Norse kingdom it's easy to beat most kingdom level targets with this CB and get free courtiers which often include their children. Close family of kings is worth 250 piety for executing if you have the human sacrifice religion perk.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So this Saturday we did a Tales of Ireland mod test game in the Mapgoons Discord and it went really well. We didn't have any desync issues and only one player was lagging the game to speed 1 but that seems to be on his side since it went away when he left the game. We'll be doing a proper weekly game starting this Saturday if anyone is interested in checking it out with us.

The mod itself is pretty interesting, each culture has a unique mechanic and I was playing Formorian which was mostly focused on warfare and making others tributaries. I didn't find this very interesting so I'll be messing around with the other cultures to find one with a mechanic I like for the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

pidan posted:

Some people really like having many sons and then murdering, disinheriting or otherwise removing the less preferred ones. Others enjoy conquering everything back each generation. I don't, so I also like monogamy best.

That said, you can always fill your needed wives and concubine slots with post menopausal women, or chaste lesbians, or just generally people who are unlikely to have many children.

I prefer having way more kids than I know what to do with, and then watching the ensuing chaos after an inheritance. I also go out of my way to make sure as many of my sons as possible are landed.

In our last Mapgoons multiplayer game we were using the Ireland mod, and it was extremely funny (for me) to be a powerful vassal under another player and watching him have to deal with my rear end in a top hat family. Out of 15 hours worth of sessions I think he spent more than 10 of them dealing with revolts from my dynasty. Meanwhile I was just getting more and more powerful from building cities and buildings in my personal holdings, while making sure to install my sons into ever more holdings inside the kingdom.