Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ms Adequate posted:

I was going to say much what Gamerofthegame said; CK3 has a great deal of CK2 to build on, curating ideas that were good, ditching things that were bad, refining things that were clumsy. Imperator didn't really ever figure out what it actually wanted to be. CK3 knows exactly what it wants to be, which one presumes helps focus development choices.

I do think there is an issue of what fans wanted and what game Johan wanted to make. I think a lot of people wanted was an EU4-CK2 mix set in Rome times, and instead what they got was the very gamey game that Johan is a big fan of. Personally I'm on the fan's side on this one, just glad I didn't pre-order that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

When you're playing in Catholic Spain and you're your brother's heir and vice versa, is there a convenient way to off yourself rather than murdering him?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

More importantly, why aren't we all buying Game Pass and playing Plebby Quest??

it's because I want to reward Paradox for making the product I want tbh

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ham posted:

It was repealed by an act that includes the exact same language, so sorry for posting the wrong link I guess?

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2012L01934

I mean the line right before that is "gratuitous, exploitative, or offensive depictions of", which I would hardly think applies.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 29, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ham posted:

Maybe nude 3D characters in events is what pushes it over that line?

Wait are the characters actually going to be nude for the nudist types or whatever?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They had a weird classification for a pretty inoffensive atelier game that spawned a meme thats used to this day in regards to australias classification system

I mean I could get behind a "anime is banned" rule.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm just gonna set up a timer until the first full nude mods come out, then the anime character mods, and then the nude anime character mods. For a mapgame.

Yeah it's not gonna take long at all.

I'm occasionally reminded that there is a mod that changes all the EU4 country flags into anime schoolgirls. Just... :psypop:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

does anyone know if the game is still as restrictive with mods and achievements as other paradox titles?

I would certainly expect it to be the same. If you really care, you can just use Steam Achievement Manager to award yourself the cheevos you believe you deserve.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is it possible to rebuild supplies while raiding without having to return to your own territory? Really handicapping my ability to Varyag it up down into the Caspian

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SubNat posted:

Odd tangent, but has anyone been able to lose weight?
It is kind of strange that you take the decision to lose weight, take a pretty notable stress penalty... and then nothing.

I started tracking the calories I was eating really closely back in January and I'm down about 20 pounds :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Do all tribals get Conquer County/Duchy CBs on their neighbors or is that just Norse with Asatru? I figure it's time to go native with my Rurikids, but I'm worried about losing that.

Also if I switch to Russian culture I lose longboats right? :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Are viking sacrifices carried out via prison execution?

Yes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Re: inheritance with partition, I've actually had complete success holding only a King level title, Duchy level title, and the complete six counties in that duchy (one of them being my realm capital). The whole duchy seems to count as my primary title, and it'll only distribute titles outside of that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

Thats not been my experience with it. I held the Kingdom of Lithuania, Duchy of Prussia, and the 5 provinces inside of it. It would always pass on my Kingdom, the Duchy, and then one province from the entire duchy. The rest would go to my sons even if I only had one. The only way I could make sure my heir would get all the provinces of the duchy was to conquer another duchy for each heir that wasnt disinherited.

Oh interesting. I have not yet tried it where my heir has not been one of my sons. Though even with multiple sons it all went to one of them

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

They (I? Maybe it's in the rules already) but they really need to crank up Exclave Independence. I'm playing as Ruthenia trying to make as many Rurikids as possible, and my vassals have managed to conquer Naples and Porto of all places, and there's no sign of them getting distributed or made independent. I mean I'd love it if they managed to get a local kingdom going over there...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

awesmoe posted:

For the one I'm looking at specifically (obesity :btroll:) it's an event that triggers - health.5001. Is there a way I can see what the script for that event is?

Search the event files for that id and it will probably show up?

Use Notepad++ if you aren't already, it's really good for this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If I'm a king, and want to grant King level titles to one of my dukes and split them off to be independent, is there some way to give them the de-jure vassals of that kingdom at the same time? In CK2 this was the "include lower titles" button I think, but now I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I think "transfer Vassal" should work.

That works for people who remain your vassal but not people who are newly independent sadly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

I am like 6 pages behind so if this was answered I apologize, but more or less yes. I would recommend at least enough to build a city holding and 1 or 2 currency buildings in your domain, so around 1k give or take would be a good idea.

Nice, time to go burn down the suburbs of Constantinople a few more times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuiIu3YNeiU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Anybody have opinions on which of the Dynasty Legacies are the best? I zipped down the Blood Tree because I managed to get Herculean in the family very early, a bit lost at where to go next. The non-military ones seem underwhelming.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah as a tribal it's vastly easier to steal your development from more develot places. It's +40 development progress in your capital every time it fires. But your leader must be leading the raiding army for it to fire.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man the transition from Tribal to Feudal is intense. Playing as a Rurikid king of Ruthenia owning most of Russia (the border gore between my various relatives is insane and I kinda hate it kinda love it) I went from 30k levies and the biggest swinging dick around to 7k. The Empire is coming for the Rurikid kingdom of Sicily now oh boy.

e: Also despite coming into this with 5k gold I'm now broke as gently caress lol

e2: It's weird not having a way to proactively get gold now.

e3: loving hell a lot of these building upgrades take 100 years to pay for themselves?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 9, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Seriously how the hell do you get money as a feudal ruler? Hurry up and wait? Abduct the Roman Emperor over and over?

Granted my men at arms from the tribal days now cost me about a third of my income...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Feudalism questions:
  • The taxes my vassals pay actually does come out of their balance sheet right? So if I'm newly feudal taxing them to poo poo is counterproductive anyway?
  • I own a couple farmlands provinces, is it better to drop Castles there or Cities?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

Tribals are incredibly strong because you have a prestige dump in the form of Mens at Arm

Yea now that I'm feudal I have 18k prestige banked. Things to spend it on include:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do the Seljuks ever actually show up if you start at 867 or is Genghis the only scripted nomad invasion atm?

I've played from 867 to 1100 now, there has been no sign of Seljuks, or really any movement of borders in Persia and Central Asia. The Roman-Islamic frontier has been 100% static for the entire game from what I can tell.

That said I did just see Mongolia conquer it's way across the steppe, but it's not Temujin it's just some guy. Too early for Genghis so I assume just a fun coincidence.

Dwesa posted:

I wanted to make me 6th or 7th child my primary heir. I set all my previous children as knights/champions and sent them into a battle. Most of them died in one battle or were imprisoned and quickly died in prison. That instantly gave me a lot of stress. Firstborn remained, I was really old and really loved by my vassals, so I just imprisoned and executed her (I had some reason for imprisonment, but I was also forgiving... oops, level 3 stress). Then I realized that my current heir is my grand-grandson and firstborn's grandson and of different dynasty. I killed that child, then her parent or maybe her cousin, who knows and then I gave up. I just wish I understood succession more before I did all of this, lol.

Gaining an Elective title is super good for this. My duchies and counties are all under normal rules, but my Kingdom is Scandinavian Elective, and I have more than 50% of the votes, so you just pick your favorite child and they instantly become your primary and player heir.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 9, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well gently caress, I think the game just ate 4 hours of play time, I have got to be more careful with just pushing the continue button. Cloud saves were a mistake.

FrickenMoron posted:

Is it really worth starting in 867? It feels like the 200 years arent nearly enough to catch up with culture to get even close to a feudal level.

I made it to feudal as Russia in 1060, but I could have been way faster had I actually realized that I was definitely going to convert to Russian culture and then actually invested anything in learning. All of the rest of the world is waaaay ahead of me though.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 9, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So can you only get one Innovation Exposure at one time? I converted to Orthodox just to try and crib some techs off the Romans, but I am getting absolutely nothing from them, though I do receive exposure from the Swabians with whom I share a religion (we don't share a religion)

Broken Cog posted:

Go to load game and tick the "Show viable saves" box twice. Sometimes the game doesn't show certain saves until you have done that.

Yeah I've been doing that, but I stupidly just pressed continue and then exit to menu, rather than Task Managering it. :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah you only get one exposure, I'm not sure how it picks it but I think once it's picked one it keeps it until it finishes. So it probably won't update until then.

Blech aight, and I can't even shake much gold out of the Patriarch, back to Pagan it is!

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 9, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'll be that guy and say that equality is the real trap in the early game. It turns every single one of your children into land-demanding heirs instead of just half of them. I'm definitely holding off on that until High Partition at the earliest in my future campaigns.

Yeah I was looking at that when I was reforming my religion, then realized "oh poo poo, feminism will mean I'll have to land all my daughters too doesn't it. Fuuuuck that" :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I am really starting to despair about the tech progression system. Even if I spec all my successors into maximum learning, Innovations look like they're going to take decades to get, meaning I'll be barely clearly the second age before the game ends...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Weirdly I only just ran into succession weirdness. Have been running a Scandinavian Elective kingdom title as my primary title, which always allowed me to pick who my primary heir was going to be, and then said heir would inherit my primary duchy along with all the counties in it, so long as I had landed the rest of my sons (and sometimes even without doing that). But now that I want to pass the realm onto the son I had with my second wife and it won't work at all, and it's insisting on dividing all my counties up. It's also saying my various sons are going to inherit a bunch of kingdom titles that don't exist (I do not have confederate partition). :iiam:

Also Herculean is a great trait but it'd be fun to play as someone who wasn't pushing 60 again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

You can indeed just use your spymaster to look for secrets. This will let you blackmail people for hooks.

Incidentally doing this because is insanely lucrative. I periodically send my spymaster to Constantinople and have him dig up dirt on everybody, and use the perk that lets you trade hooks for gold to pull thousands out of the empire.

Maybe it'll be less of a cash grab if they ever reduce the rates at which the AI tries to sleep with and/or murder everyone they can see, but for now it's free money. Super useful for my conversion to feudalism, apparently I'm going to have to build up all these towns and temples myself.

Broken Cog posted:

Feudalizing doesn't give you a free city and temple in open slots here? It did in CK2.

It does not. Literally all it does is take away all the tribal buildings, and replace each converting tribal holding with an non-upgraded castle. As far as I can tell my vassals aren't upgrading them either; not sure if they're too broke, or if they're trying to hoard money to hire mercs and kill each other.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 10, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man I'm working right now but I am also constantly distracted thinking about my triple bind of only having 2500 gold pre-feudalizing , my vassals feudalizing on their own, and the potential for the Byzantines to Crusade against me ticking up by the month lol

I'm not ultra sure why your vassals feudalizing on their own is a problem. In my experience this only made them weaker. And I don't think the Byzantines can call crusades, unless they've mass converted to some heresy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I loving hate that I cannot use the Find Spouse interaction on say, the oldest son of my oldest son. Nope, no idea why I'd want to do that...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

There's no easy way to directly compare actual military strength but when a move order will lead to a battle you'll often see a minus, plus or something else that you can highlight and it will tell you the general likelihood of winning. Aside from that you can look at the battle itself and see the various bonuses you and your opponent have.

Those indicators frequently nonsense though. I have semi-routinely had it tell me I would Lose Decisively, when it was obvious I would win handily (and I did).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So what's the deal with fervor? My religion is at just 10% - I think because we keep winning Great Holy Wars? - and so now heresy is spreading like wildfire and nobody will convert back because the heresy is at 100%, which seems to never change?

Gobblecoque posted:

Does anybody else ever just wait for an enemy army to get locked into moving to one of your holdings, plop down a rally point there, and teleport in all your knights and men at arms. "heh nothing personal kid"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Actually after looking at fervor slightly more closely, it's actually ping-ponging wildly. When I started the session it was at 10%, a few years later it had shot up 100%, and a few years after that it was back down to 43%. Nothing particularly major happened during those years :iiam:

Also I really think the game would be better off if your religion would only call Great Holy Wars for Kingdoms containing Holy Sites of that Religion. There were too many Slovenskan Wars for Sicily this game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

BigRoman posted:

My vassals do a good job converting the religion of conquered provinces, but I haven't seen a single one ever convert the county culture. Is this an ai bug? Is there a mod that can make them concentrate on cultural conversion after religious?

I've seen my vassals spreading Russian around (suddenly I had Longboats again!), so it does happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think only Islamic realms can switch to clan government, and vice versa can't become feudal. So I don't think you have a choice?

This is true, but I actually think it's pretty doable to convert, adopt, and then promptly convert back without much issue.