Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I'm going to start with tutorial Ireland to get up to speed with the new stuff and also because I like starting there anyway. At some point I want to start as a Cornish character and make a big Cornish Empire but will probably wait until I have a bit more game mastery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

fuf posted:

I always pick someone really small, because surely the dream is to build up your dynasty from humble beginnings. Also it just feels less overwhelming to start with a small realm and only a few vassals.

I never got the appeal of the official recommended "interesting characters" that are already powerful kings.

A reasonably powerful duke was the start I most often went with. Let's you ease into things without too many vassals and you get to be a nightmare vassal for a while until you overthrow your liege or go independent.

Count can be fun for the feeling of dragging yourself all the way up but you have so few tools that it can involve a lot of waiting around for the right opportunity.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Dante posted:

Is there an embargo on streamers until release? I'm hesitant to buy a paradox title without seeing it in action even though I love CK2. Seems strange streamers aren't part of the hype marketing before release.

I think there should be streams starting soon. The devs have done a few streams of them playing as one of the Jimena kings in Spain that they've put on youtube. First one is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_wKAvyPJ5M

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

I already bought the game on steam because all the dev diaries looked solid and I knew I was going to play a lot of the game. It being on gamepass is pretty nice though because i have several friends who tried ck2 after I raved about it but bounced off, and they're probably going to give ck3 a look since it's so cheap to do.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

You can tell it's not their main job but I think they do fine.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Oooooh, primogeniture and ultimogeniture both require late medieval innovations!

Yeah, there's going to be a lot more sibling thunderdome than in CK2 where everyone scrabbled out of gavelkind as fast as possible.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Traxis posted:

Middle mouse button and drag

oh god, thank you, this was so annoying for me.

Qubee posted:

My ultimate goal was to have all of Ireland to myself, and then start conquering other lands that I can hand over to vassals / family members, and maybe even get a few of my brothers to be Kings for the family dynasty boost.

It's like a rat's nest of confusion. Murdering doesn't solve anything, as it just passes to their heirs. Marrying matrilineally to their heirs isn't possible, as they refuse to accept. Murdering their entire family line is the only possibility, but doing each Earldom would take centuries. There must be a more efficient way to do this that I'm just not seeing, right? Or is it all about setting traps that'll only get sprung 70 years down the line?

Holding all of Ireland as your personal domain is a bit much as you'll probably go way over your domain limit. Really having a couple of duchies and most of the land within them will usually be the extent of your personal holdings.

As for reclaiming land lost after death, you should have claims over a lot of it and you can always fabricate claims if you want, which allows you to revoke your vassal's territory without tyranny (though you'll probably have to beat them in a war or else have them imprisoned first). If they rebel and you beat them, you also get a free revoke. Make sure you've put your crown authority up to Limited or you don't get a revoke option.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Currently playing a drunken obese depressive recluse who went insane due to being imprisoned for most of her childhood (i was slow paying the ransom) and became queen by killing her two half-brothers, respectively 11 and 5. By the time I took over everyone hated her, so I tried to kill myself but a courtier stopped me. It worked out though because I won the ensuing rebellion and then my only friend helped me hook up with a hot guy.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

Is it not worth it at all to create another kingdom title until you have primogeniture, or does having high partition keep all Kingdom titles with your heir?

Mostly asking because I have the later and am thinking of starting to chew through Scotland because it’s owned by the King of Jerusalem right now.

Also the King of Jerusalem is my very distant cousin and tried to get my land before I curb stomped him, so gently caress him.

Partition gives your primary title to your heir and then splits them off starting at equal rank, so a second kingdom would go to someone else and become independent. Basically you have to hold an empire title if you want to keep multiple kingdom titles across characters without primo.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

I wonder if they are gonna change the disinherit mechanic, it really makes succession a non-issue and you don't even have to bother with the succesion laws. It would also be nice to have a button to "imprison all with a 100 % chance" since having to do it manually with 25 people when you are an Emperor is quite tiresome.

When I looked at it the disinherit option it seemed quite expensive in terms of renown? Like I don't see how you'd ever get any of the dynasty perks if you are disinheriting a few kids each generation, though I guess that depends on how much you're getting a month. I haven't been able to play a lot but that was my assumption anyway.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

It's not too expensive and disinheriting 2-3 kids to ensure a smooth succession makes your expansion so much easier. However, the caveat is that I have the Empire of Francia and 5-6 dynasty members as vassal Kings so renown comes very quickly for me.

Ah I got you. I'm still just a pissant king of ireland with a small dynasty, so it seemed pretty hefty to me. Maybe they should make the cost rise commensurate with your renown income, so it's always a painful decision even when you're a huge, powerful dynasty.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Zeron posted:

It does feel kind of weird that there is no real fatigue mechanic for fighting offensive wars over and over. Your men replenish incredibly fast and infinitely and your own lands don't really suffer much either. Honestly might help to bring back regencies? Your home lands should be noticably worse off/fragile when you drag literally the entire court off to fight a war halfway across the world. Or even something like giving negative opinion modifiers to families when a character dies while fighting for you.

You get an increasing negative opinion the longer you are part of offensive wars. After going ham to form Britannia, I currently have -30 which isn't so bad with my vassals because they otherwise love me but it also affects Popular Opinion which leads to lots of peasant revolts. I've certainly had a lot, a couple of which made my war with Norway a lot hairier than it needed to be.

Playing a humble, compassionate character for the first time instead of a complete psycho and it really makes the Stress system shine. My vassals like me and I get lots of piety but, I after a couple of murders, my guy got really stressed and now wanders the castle muttering about his guilt. Real 'is this a knife I see before me?' hours.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Never played a CK before, did the tutorial then hopped in as Scotland. My Marshal is -100 opinion of me and immediately raised a faction to erode my power of the crown.

I feel like this is 100% the intended experience and I kind of love it even if I have little idea what I’m doing?

Pretty much. It's not ideal to have any of your council hate you but it's not the end of the world unless they're your spymaster. Never let someone who hates you be the person whose job it is to stop assassination plots against you.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

blue squares posted:

I'm gonna try this out on Game Pass. If I like it, do I have to buy it from Game Pass to keep my save data? If I do, will it show up in my Steam library too?

You'd have to buy it on gamepass to keep the save data, I'm pretty sure. I guess you might be able to find where the saves are in the files and paste them over if you bought it on Steam?

Xbox app is it's own store so it won't go in your steam library.

Might be worth trying in gamepass and then, if you like it and want it on Steam, buy it there after you've finished with your campaign on gamepass so losing the saves doesn't matter. Most people don't play to the end. I've just finished conquering Britain as Ireland and now I'm going to start as someone new and probably won't touch those old saves again.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Same, I won a crusade for Jerusalem that ended with my cousin King converting to Sunni, and then a later crusade to capture Rome (where I paid the piety from my own meagre pool to redirect it since the Pope himself didn't seem to give a poo poo about the fact that the capital of catholicism was in muslim hands!). The Rome one was particularly galling, I wanted to just give the land back to the pope, but couldn't select him as a beneficiary, so when we won I had my sister become Queen of Romagna...and within 5 years she'd converted to islam despite only Rome itself being muslim.

I think generally characters should be very reluctant to change to the religion/culture of the peasantry, and basically never if they're of an organised faith and consider the peasants' faith to be Evil.

Yeah, I found it pretty funny when my cousin who I made King of Jerusalem converted and I liked having a muslim house of my dynasty, but it is pretty silly. Worse is that it makes it hard to install leaders of your culture/religion in lands you conquer and let them go through the long process of converting the counties for you like you could in CK2.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

canada jezus posted:

What are everyone's favorite lifestyles? I know the "best" ones are probably whatever you need atm (and stewardship in general), but like just favorites? I quite love the torturer/intrigue one. Just everyone poo poo scared of you, kidnapping motherfuckers and torturing them for funsies. Diplomacy is great though, make friends, everyone loving you, tons of prestige. Learning is situational but cool. I haven't played any martial characters yet, but i think that'll be my next game. Try to stack up knight effectiveness bonus and roleplay family power ranger killing peasants.

edit: Also can i get into weird witchcraft stuff? Haven't seen any of that yet.

Intrique is really fun but the character who I took over most of the UK with was all in on diplomacy and the extra CBs you get are super helpful. England splintered really badly and I was able to just roll though, force vassalising everyone and then befriending them so they weren't mad at me. I really want to mess around with Learning as I haven't really had a character use it much so far.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Guys, I might've accidentally joined a crusade and enforced my beneficiary as the successor of the new kingdom, not realizing this would make him independent and no longer able to be my heir.

I think he'll still be your heir, it just means when you die you'll also have a second crusader kingdom.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/09/08/paradox-interactives-qa-staff-allege-poor-treatment-low-pay-and-mismanaged-layoffs/

I'm enjoying the game a lot but this stuff is a bummer.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Strobe posted:

High Diplomacy (for opinion), a big army, the True Ruler perk on the middle Diplomacy tree, and being their De Jure liege is usually enough for me to get a vassalization train rolling in 867. You get a little more than half of a kingdom, create the title, and that's enough for the other 6-12 counties/duchies to fall in line. Sometimes you'll end up irritatingly close at like -2 or something but at that point you should probably be snowballing pretty hard and poofing 4000 levies into some pissant duchy is going to end things pretty quickly when you don't have to worry about their neighbors sniffing blood.

True Ruler is super helpful. I just formed the Empire of Guinea last night but that part of Africa has so many different culture and religions, I was struggling to get my de jure vassals to accept vassalisation. Even with bribery and swaying, I was only just getting them over the agreement number.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

buglord posted:

Is it possible/reasonable to keep land under my direct control from one ruler to the next? Seems like over the generations, the amount of land actually under my direct control becomes lower and lower.

Also, is it possible to have vassals like in mount & blade where I can call them to war when needed? It seems like vassals and allies are two different things, which throws me off because I thought vassals were always obliged to go to war with me in exchange for me handing them land?

Generally you want to hold onto at least the duchy of your capital and all/most of the counties within it. If they get inherited away from your during succession, you might have claims/can fabricate claims that will allow you to go to war to get the land back or revoke it.

You can ally with vassals to get them to raise their full army but otherwise, all they have to do is give you a portion of their levies. It can be worthwhile to ally the largest vassal in your territory to have their full help in war and to prevent them joining the other side in a civil war.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Abduction is also handy if you try to murder someone and fail since otherwise there's a decade cooldown before you can raise a murder scheme against them again. I matri-married my granddaughter to the fourth in line for the Kanem throne and murdered two of the people in front of him, a third died in battle but with the last one my murder scheme failed and I was caught. By the time the ten years was up I figured he'd have had some kids which would mess the succession up, so I had him abducted and then just executed him. Now my dynasty will eventually sit on the throne, getting me that sweet renown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Think my plan for when I eventually feudalise my african empire is to set a couple of family members up with juicy independent kingdoms on either side and ally them. I'll get renown and they can play bodyguard for me while I build up my strength.