Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Anyone have their first game planned yet? I think I'm going to try being one of the Viking invaders of England in the early start, it seems like a good chance to test out the new religion mechanics in a relatively, but not entirely, isolated position. My traditional warm-up of Irish petty king -> high king -> crusader king can wait until the second go-round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I actually like playing in Georgia/the Caucasus too, as a non-traditional sparking point between the Christians and Muslims. Might not be as entertaining in the 867 start though.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

teacup posted:

I think this one has a lot of “internet street cred” going for it, bubbling above the just general scene. Stellaris had a lot of issues and look at it now- huge reception.

Super fans are the worst, and the correct response to anyone who wants to rip on a new game (other than if it’s a buggy mess) in the series is “then play CK2 then?”

I can’t wait!!

Good to hear it’s only 8GB. Does anyone know what time it normally unlocks? I’m in Australia (ordered on steam)

Early afternoon Europe time, I think is what our resident in-house dev said. I have no idea how that translates to the upside-down lands on the wrong end of the date line.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
RE: Imperator, there were a lot of little things that hinted it wasn't a great game. Being mostly a reskinned EU4, for one. I think a better comparison for CK3 is Stellaris, which did have some real problems but those issues didn't really matter for the first 30-40 hours of the game because the core gameplay loop was entertaining enough. And that's a worst-case, CK3 could easily be like it's predecessor and simply be a Good Game at release.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
They don't have a single achievement about crusading. How?

edit: crusading for Jerusalem, anyway. They have the Reconquista and Apulia/Siciliy.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Fair enough... they have one achievement explicitly about crusading, and it doesn't involve Jerusalem or Outremer/the Crusader States.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

fuf posted:

yeah wtf does this mean

It means that your grandparents had to be brother and sister, and that your parents also had to be brother and sister.

ZombieLenin posted:

It’s pretty obvious why. It’s the same reason they are no longer associating the game with the Latin phrase Deus vult.

I suppose, but the Crusades are literally what the game is named after. It's silly to have four or five achievements about the Reconquista, but none that relate to the most important historical events (or perhaps most wide-ranging in effect, at least) within this era. Hell, they have multiple achievements celebrating incest, which is illegal in much of the world.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

ilitarist posted:

On the other hand, achievements are supposed to be about bragging rights or to highlight something fun people might do. You don't need crusading achievements exactly because it's in the name. It's assumed people won't need achievements to do crusades.

There's achievements for a ton of things that people will do just by playing the game. There's literally one for just playing to the last year! There's another one for just going up in rank (count->duke or whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

LordMune posted:

It hurts how hyped I am for you all to play the game.

No game is perfect, but this is without a doubt the best PDS release I've worked on (and no the bar isn't low!! Some of Stellaris is good!!!).

People complain(ed) about Stellaris, but not until after they dumped 60 hours into it. It's objectively not a bad game, and never was. It's just been hurt because people expected it to having the staying power of CK, EU, or even HOI... but without the twenty years of iteration on the formula the other games had. Making a game be fun for hundreds of hours is super hard, and even when you're starting from a template (PDX grand strategy) that doesn't mean there won't be edges that need smoothing.