Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

What is this game?

Crusader Kings 3 is a grand strategy game set in Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and South Asia from 867 or 1066 to 1453. You take the role of a noble dynasty and lead them through plagues, war, and intrigue to power and fortune.

So what does that mean exactly?

You're playing as a medieval ruler. You can pick the lowly count of Cambridge, vassal of the English king, or play as the mighty Byzantine Emperor. You then try to advance your family's fortune, for example by fabricating claims on neighboring counties that you can then try to press in a war. Or by scheming to kill a vassal and his family so that you can inherit his holding. Or you can try to kidnap a wealthy noble so you can get a big ransom. Or you can marry your heir to a woman in the line of succession to some lands so that your grandchild(ren) inherit those provinces. And if the wife-to-be is low in the line of succession, a few strategic assassinations can work wonders. And you can also try to schmooze up to your liege, so that they may appoint you to their council, or even grant you some titles.

Or your character is already a powerful ruler. In that case, you might still try to expand, waging holy wars against heathen neighbors, or perhaps pressing your claim to the neighboring kingdom you inherited from your mother. But you will also be busy with realm management, like placating your powerful vassals so that they don't start factions to overthrow you, crushing peasant revolts, or dealing with heresies popping up in parts of your kingdom. A powerful duke who absolutely won't be mollified by anything you do might also meet a tragic end in an "accident". And perhaps you need to bribe the most outraged vassals after your part in that "accident" comes out. And when you're not scheming or waging war, you need to build up your personal holdings, pass laws giving you more troops or taxes from your vassals, and maybe swat down some vikings raiding your coasts.

I'm new to grand strategy games, should I try Crusader Kings 3? Why should I play it over the much cheaper CK2?

CK3 looks like the most newbie friendly Paradox game ever. The game has extensive tooltips, including tooltips in tooltips! A lot of terms that might or might not be obvious work like hyperlinks, opening a pop-up that explain what those are about. They range from the basics like "what is a duchy?" to the far less obvious "what does de jure mean?". There's also an improved tutorial, as opposed to the outdated and partly broken CK2 tutorial. If you're intimidated by a nearly decade old game with a ton of DLCs adding features, this will be the chance to play it from the start.

The game also looks like it will be a big improvement over it's predecessor. There's obviously the big graphics update, with 3D models replacing CK2's 2D models. And many core systems already look like they received big overhauls, with the religion system for example already promises more depth with less yank than CK2's counterpart.

If you're interested in learning more, you can read the developer diaries (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...mation.1289830/), or watch this series of short CK3 videos, each focusing on one aspect of the game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26vR8IdZmGQ).

I'm a CK2 veteran, what are the biggest changes?

First big change is the new world map:

This is the 867 map. There are big additions in Africa, as well as small expansions in East Asia. There's also more impassable terrain. One important change is that now each holding is present on the map. You can siege a county's cities before you attack it's barony(s). You can only take control of a county when you control all it's fortified holdings, which means you don't need to bother sieging every church or city holding in a county. Baronies are also now integral parts of their counties, meaning you never have to deal with border gore like the king of England holding some barony in France that one of his vassals inherited.

You can now only play tribal and feudal rulers, but it looks like merchant republics and hordes have been removed from the game entirely. Meaning you should be able to play every ruler but landed clergy and the odd republican ruler. You can play as any religion from the start.

As I alluded above, there are only two start dates: 867 and 1066. You can no longer advance the start date by single days from 1066 on, so your choice of different starts is more limited than in CK2.

The technology system has been totally overhauled, techs are now tied to cultures instead of provinces, and are named innovations now, as they are no longer pure technologies. There are military and civic innovations (like horseshoes increasing your armies' movement speed, or Royal Prerogative enabling you to enact high crown authority law), as well as regional innovations (like Reconquista, making holy warring easier, but this innovations is only available to cultures in Iberia, of course). The innovations are also tied to the passage of time, Late Medieval Era innovations cannot be discovered before 1200 for example.

Dynasties have been greatly improved. Cadet branches are now in the game, the head of a dynasty has special powers to disinherit a dynasty member, force peace between relatives, or invest in the new dynasty legacies. These are like mini tech trees affecting all family members, like improving the odds of dynasty members inheriting good congenital traits, increasing each family member's prestige gain by 10%, or making them more desirable in marriages. Dynasty legacies kind of replace the bloodline system of CK2.

Lifestyles are now part of the base game, and are greatly expanded. Each of the 5 lifestyles now boast three skill trees. Your character will earn lifestyle experience passively (modified by traits), and they will be able to invest the experience in those trees. You can still change your lifestyle, and keep your unlocked skills.

All in all, CK3 is even more of an RPG than CK2. Imperator: Rome was touted as a mix of EU4 and CK2, but it turned out that it was more like 80% EU4 and 20% CK2 (or "EU4 with some CK2 elements"), which pleased some people and disappointed other players. So if you don't care too much about the RPG aspects, Imperator: Rome might be better for you. If the RPG aspect was why you enjoyed CK2 over EU4, then CK3 is almost certainly the game for you.

There are a ton of other changes, far too many for me to list them all. Like the big religion overhaul, reformation is now in the base game, and not limited to pagans only! I've linked the dev diaries and video guides, you should read/watch them to learn more.

The game will be released September 1st, 2020.

Crusader Kings 3 looks like it will be a very worthy successor to Crusader Kings 2. But remember to be cautious before buying or pre-ordering games. CK2 had a very good release, other Paradox games were often enough much worse on launch. And there's always SotS2 to keep in mind. So decide for yourself whether you are interested enough to pay money before extensive reviews have come out. I've already pre-ordered, and I will keep this thread updated when the game is released, so keep an eye on this thread if you're unsure whether to buy or not.

If you're interested, the Crusader Kings 2 thread is here.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Guides, info posts and more:

Big post explaining roughly what we know about the new religious system here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3937583&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post507510882

Post about what different mechanics of CK2 DLC seem to have made the jump to CK3: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937583&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post507537250

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 25, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Reserved also.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CommunityEdition posted:

Are artifacts and societies within the realm of early modding possibility?

The game is not out yet, we have no idea.

That said, both artifacts and societies were popular enough that I wouldn't be surprised to see their return in a future DLC. Especially societies, but hopefully much bigger in scope.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's simply no rush to get the game. It will be this newbie friendly for months after release. If you're on the fence, bookmark the thread, and wait for us to report how good the game holds up :)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eonwe posted:

I watched enough videos to see that its newbie friendly and it looks like a game I've always wanted to play so I went ahead and bought it

Yay! Welcome to the club, eonwe :)

I'm really torn on who to play first after the tutorial. I think I'll probably play like 50 years as Murchad in Ireland, just to be sure I understand most mechanics. Unless the tutorial is so good that I'm already feeling confident about my understanding of the game. But then there are so many intriguing options. One of the new faiths you can play in the expanded parts of Africa allow for river sailing, and the Niger is right there! I mean, look at this:

The course of the river makes it possible to easily raid practically everybody, this is so cool. And it's great that you can play fully developed non-Abrahamic African rulers from the start.

On the other hand, when major DLCs hit, I usually would bust out the Umayyads, and retake the Caliphate from those traitorous Abbassids, making sure none of their blood remain (which is pretty difficult with a dynasty that regularly has 100+ members). The expanded African map also brings additional opportunities and challenges to a Southern Spanish start. And there are also special buildings to consider:

How about returning the Umayyads to their rightful places as Caliphs, while also building the Alhambra? That sounds good, too. But I've already done this half a dozen times...

And I'd also like to try out the new start in Myanmar, unlike many others, I've always liked playing in the region of India and Tibet. Especially now that the Western Protectorate is no longer present.

Choices, choices. I'm super excited for the game!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tirranek posted:

This will be the first CK game I’ve played properly, looking forward to it! Played a little bit of CK2 on Ireland and was wondering if there are any other newbie friendly starts people would recommend?

Since the game isn't out yet, we can't tell for sure which starts will be newbie friendly. But look at this stream highlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyxjYtoFDSE&t=14s

The game will suggest various easier and harder starts to you, several for each region and start date.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 24, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Captain Beans posted:

Anyone else actually disliking the new UI? I miss some of the lighter colored backgrounds with the color of parchment paper, the new UI looks like the forums on darkmode.

Not really. I think the UI is a huge improvement in basically all respects. I do think that the UI can seem a bit too dark when only looking at screenshots, especially if the map is cut out, But in streams, since those parts of the UI only cover like 1/3 of your screen, it actually looks fine.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

bluegoon posted:

Do you think this will be like a culmination of all the DLC content from CK2?

In a way, it is. Of course there are several DLC features that didn't carry over, like merchant republics and hordes, China, societies, the Silk Road, etc. But many features are now integrated into the base game, which probably makes a huge difference how seamlessly they work with the rest of the mechanics. As I've mentioned in the OP, religion has a much more robust system than CK2 with all DLCs. I'll try to point out some of the biggest changes to CK2, they are truly massive:

Religions are now organized in tiers. The highest tier is the religious family, of which there are three: Abrahamic (Christians, Muslims, Jews), Eastern (I'm not sure about the correct subdivisions here) and Pagan. Next tier down are the individual religions, i.e. Christians, Muslims, Dharmic (I believe?), etc. Next one down are the individual faiths, the "actual" religion your character follows, so they're Catholics, or Orthodox, or Hindus, or they follow Astartu (=Norse). Different faiths now have different levels of religious hostility against each other:

-Righteous faiths are basically only their own faith, except for certain exception due to doctrines/tenets (basically the traits of different faiths). There's no opinion penalty.
-Astray faiths are faiths that are just a bit wrong from your own faith. Compare the much reduced "wrong religion" penalty between Catholics and Orthodox in CK2 to the "wrong religion" penalty between Catholics and Muslims.
-Hostile faiths are heresies of your religion, or truly incompatible foreign faiths. Again, see Muslims and Catholics in CK2 as an example. You can holy war hostile faiths, and while marriages between faiths are not impossible, they will be rare.
-Evil faiths are faiths that your faith simply cannot tolerate, your beliefs are too different. You cannot marry characters from a faith your faith considers evil (or vice versa), and holy wars against each other will be common.

Now, how do you know which faith will be considered evil or merely astray? Have a chart:

As you note, Abrahamic faiths view basically any faith not their own at least as hostile, and most will be considered evil, while Eastern faiths won't even consider faiths of another religious family as evil. You might wonder what happened to the famous relatively high acceptance between Catholic and Orthodox, when according to this chart, those two faiths should consider each other hostile?

That's where tenets and doctrines come in. As written above, doctrines are basically traits that differentiate faiths from one another. Tenets work like doctrines, but they much more define central characteristics of a faith. Each faith has at least 18 doctrines, but they all have exactly three tenets. And no two faiths share the exact same combination of tenets, making each one more unique. Anyway, Catholic, Orthodox, Apostolic, and Coptic faiths all have the same Ecumenism doctrine:

Muslims have similar doctrines, making all Sunnis treat each other as astray, and all Shiites treat each other as astray.

There's also a stronger version for Gnostic faiths:

This works even if the faiths are of different religions, or from completely different religious families!

You can also see something else important in the screenshot: Sins and virtues. Whether a trait is considered sinful or virtuous now depends on your religion and it's doctrines. Each religion has three traits it considers virtuous, and three traits it considers sinful. And I do mean "religion", as in the family above individual faiths. That means every Christian will consider the same six traits as vices/virtues, respectively. Plus there will be more, depending on a faith's doctrines. Take this tenet (Communion) and this doctrine (Sacred Lies) as an example:

These are obviously diametrically opposed. Communion is one of the Catholic tenets for those who are interested. So two faiths that may agree on six traits to be virtuous/sinful as prescribed by their parent religion, but may fundamentally disagree about other traits depending on their doctrines and tenets. And I believe if the parent religion views a trait as a sin, your faith can't have a doctrine or tenet making it a virtue and vice versa. There are tons of doctrines and tenets, you should read the dev diaries to find out more.

Let's show off the system a bit more with a closer look at Catholicism:

So right away this panel informs your that Catholicism is a Christian faith, it's level of fervor (more on that later), and shows you their three tenets, as well as it's 5 sins and 5 virtues.

I've already shown what Communion does, here's Armed Pilgrimages:

This allows the Pope to declare crusades, and maybe gives you the crusader trait when you reach the crusade target? Gives you the pilgrim trait when you complete a pilgrimage? Both? Neither? It will be exciting to learn more.

Tenets and doctrines also govern the rules of your faith. Again, let's take Catholicism as an example:

Nothing really unexpected here. For marriages, they must be monogamous (no concubines or second, third, fourth wives), the pope must approve your divorce, bastards are disinherited unless legitimized.

Same sex relationships and male adultery are shunned, meaning that getting caught cheating will have a man get serious opinion penalties. While female adultery is considered a crime, meaning a woman getting caught will not only suffer opinion penalties, but can be imprisoned for her "crime".

Only men can be priest, they are forbidden from marrying, and they join the clergy for life, becoming disinherited (that's what I believe "Clerical Appointment: Spiritual, for Life" to mean).

And you can directly see how different faiths can be. A faith absolutely can penalize men more for adultery than women, it can decriminalize homosexuality, can allow kinslaying without penalty, etc.

I've mentioned fervor earlier. It's a bit like Moral Authority from CK2, but quite different in other respects. It once again governs how difficult it is to convert characters or counties. Faiths with higher fervor have an easier time converting provinces or characters following a faith with lower fervor. A low fervor also makes the faith more vulnerable to heresies cropping up.

But in other respects, fervor is very different. High fervor allows holy warring, but each holy war actually reduces the fervor of a faith (because at least part of the motivation to declare such wars are secular concerns like a ruler wanting more land), while conversely, losing defensive holy wars will increase your faith's fervor because (as the DD puts it) "the embattled faithful dig in and fight for their way of life!" This is of course the other way around from CK2, where holy warring would increase your faith's moral authority if you were successful, and would decrease your victim's moral authority.

Holy sites are back again, this time with global bonuses to all members of your faith if they are held by the faithful:

Here for the Orthodox faith. It's mostly monthly piety increases, with Jerusalem of course giving the most, but also +1 learning for all Orthodox characters, as well as a direct vassal opinion (which is on by default unless Orthodox Christianity is in really dire straits). I gather that different faiths have different holy site bonuses, but can't point you to any evidence.

One important factor is that basically any religion can be "reformed" now. Or from another perspective, everybody can create their own heresy now. It's a bit similar to pagan reformation in CK2, but with three tenets and 18+ doctrines obviously much more granular than that process. To create a new faith, your character simply needs to accumulate enough piety. But the piety cost scales with the changes you want to make. As a Muslim, your new faith having polygamy won't be a problem, while a Christian "prophet" will have a much harder time proclaiming the virtues of having multiple wives, i.e. this "revelation" will cost much more piety to adopt. And again, certain doctrines will be limited to certain religious families or religions, like believing in reincarnation requires following a Dharmic religion. One nice thing is that you can actually decide on the outline of your new faith pretty early, and then just work to achieve the needed piety to proclaim it the following years or decades. And it's of course less expensive to create a new faith if your current faith suffers from low fervor, so the costs vary over time.

As for pagans, they all start with the special "unreformed" doctrine, giving substantial bonuses to tribals, but also locking you into that government form. So once again, to adopt feudalism as a tribal requires reforming your faith, or converting to a non-pagan one. Reforming works mostly the same as creating a new faith, with the additional requirement to control at least three holy sites of your faith.

So this was just a very rough overview of the religion mechanics. There's a ton more details that I didn't cover here, but you can already see that this is much deeper than it ever was in CK2.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 25, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's probably not fair to compare it to stellaris or imperator, given both are more or less stuff drawn up on the spot instead of sequels (ignoring eu:rome)

they're garbo and poorly designed for a whole number of reasons.

hearts of iron is the most "recent" comparable title given it's just a sequel, straight up, and while that came out with bugbears it was still fine and good.

that said they also added even more of asia while apparently not representing the silk road whatsoever even though that seems like it'd be the simplest thing even without some asian-themed dlc, so what the gently caress.

One issue with Imperator was mismanaged expectations. A lot of people thought they would get an EU-CK hybrid, but that's not what happened. Especially those coming from CK2 were disappointed by the lack of character/RPG focus.

This won't happen with CK3. Everybody knows what they will get, and all previews make clear that Paradox placed a heavy focus on the characters and their interactions.

The game might still be bad, but it won't be for (accidentally?) misleading it's buyers about what kind of game they're getting.

As for the Silk Road not being in CK3, I have no doubt that it will be part of the merchant republic DLC, and it will undoubtedly also include trans-Saharan trade. It's not realistic to expect every single feature of complete CK2 to be carried over. Some things the devs might just discard as not fitting into CK3, and some they may want to bundle with a planned expansion to make them fit each other better.

But if you look at the CK2 DLCs, you will see that a lot of their content are part of base game CK3:

Sword of Islam: Muslims are playable from the start.

Legacy of Rome: The biggest game changing mechanic, retinues, are in as men-at-arms. The rest doesn't seem to have been carried over. I've seen no mention of mending the Great Schism, or restoring the Roman Empire. Details about the Byzantine Empire seem to be pretty rare, we also don't know if they still follow Imperial Elective, still start with viceroyalties, and I'm also not sure whether Orthodox still follows the Pentarchy or uses the autocephaly mechanic.

Sunset Invasion: Probably not in-game, but if there are no Aztecs invading Europe in CK3, I will lose my ability to feel human!

The Republic: Not in, will almost certainly get added in later.

The Old Gods: Basically in entirely. All religions are playable from the start, and the Old Gods start date is one of the two start dates in CK3.

Sons of Abraham: An interesting case. The College of Cardinals, as well as Holy Fury's expanded crusade mechanics are the only two features of CK2 Catholics that I haven't been able to confirm that they are in CK3. But I can't rule those out, either. We don't know exactly how crusades/jihads/great holy wars work yet, and at least from Catholicisms tenets, I can't detect the College of Cardinals. I've skipped most of the live streams, did either of these two features make an appearance in there? Otherwise, Jews are of course playable again, pilgrimages are in, and the Ashari/Mutatelite split could be in or it could have been replaced with another doctrine mechanic.

Rajas of India: All Indian feudal rulers are fully playable again.

Charlemagne: It's main features are totally absent, since there's no Charlemagne start date, and so events pertaining to his rise are superfluous.

Way of Life: Fully integrated into the game, and much expanded. You now have three distinct paths to follow in each of the five lifestyles, and have overall much more control over what you get out of it. You are no longer on the mercy of the RNG whether the event fires that will give you your lifestyle trait, and which of the two you get. It also seems like you will be much more likely to change lifestyles several times per character.

Horse Lords: Absent, no hordes are playable, and the Silk Road is missing. This will very likely be another DLC that gets re-released for CK3, although hordes weren't as popular as merchant republics, I think. And the Silk Road would likely not be part of an Horse Lords DLC type, but instead fits in more with the merchant republics.

Conclave: Again fully integrated, and expanded in welcome ways. Powerful vassals who demand seats on your council are back. And they want specific council seats, which might not correspond to their highest stats. And I guess there's no reason why the same council seat can't be coveted by more than one of your powerful vassals. But in exchange for making the management of your stronger vassals more difficult, you only need to get their approval to change your inheritance laws, instead of getting the approval of all counts and above. Additionally, your wife now plays a bigger role as a councilor, making skilled wives more valuable. But only if they're unlanded, making it a trade-off if you marry a landed woman to get her titles passed on to your (mutual) heir. You can also modify the feudal contract for each vassal individually, like guaranteeing somebody their place on the council, lowering or raising their tax/levy obligations, or even entering in a special relationship with dukes and above. If they become a scutage, they pay 50% more tax but provide 75% fewer levies, if you declare their duchy a march, they will pay 50% less taxes, but that vassal gets an increased levy and garrison size, lower army upkeep costs, a higher levy reinforcement rate, and an increased defender advantage in their territory. Ideal for a duchy crucial for the defense of the realm.

There's much more to vassal management than I just wrote about. This is a field, like religion, where CK3 already looks to be better and deeper than CK2 ever was.

Reaper's Due: Status is unclear. Diseases are certainly back in-game, but how expansive the system is remains to be seen. I guess most of what was in Reaper's Due is not in CK3 yet.

Monks and Mystics: As far as I can see, most of Monks and Mystics is not in CK3 yet. The more mystical/fantastical elements seem to be absent altogether. For example, faiths that believe in reincarnation can now believe that somebody is a reincarnation of a famous person, giving them prestige and piety bonuses. No random stat increases that hint they really are reincarnated, prestige and piety bonuses only reflect the opinion of other of those "reincarnated" characters. Artifacts are not in CK3, and neither are societies. I consider it very likely that both of those will get re-added later.

Jade Dragon: Totally absent. Another candidate to make a comeback, you simply can't have so much of Asia in your game without interactions with China. Many of the new casus belli seem to have made the jump to CK3 at least.

Holy Fury: One of it's biggest features, bloodlines, are part of the overhauled dynasty mechanics. Apart from that, most other selling points of this DLC seem to be missing. I already mentioned the lack of societies (so no warrior lodges), the unknown crusade mechanics, and the unclear status of the ERE (so no Imperial Elective?). Shattered World is also not in CK3.

So quite a few things are missing, but a lot of features are already in CK3. And if you look at my list of must-have DLCs in the CK2 thread (Old Gods, Way of Life, Conclave, and Holy Fury), you will see that the the first three are already mostly part of Crusader Kings 3. Which shows good judgement by Paradox, shipping the game with some of the most popular CK2 DLC features already in. They didn't just reset the clock and start with an updated base CK2, expecting to selling us all the same DLCs as before. But no one should be under any illusion, selling DLC is the business model of PDX, and it will be a core part of CK3. That said, if initial impressions of CK3 turn out to be right, then I'm very optimistic that for example the merchant republic DLC will bring us even better merchant republics than we ever had in CK2.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

fuf posted:

Oh drat I didn't realise that. I really like having to balance stats with angry vassals when it comes to the council, but sometimes I wish there was like a second, "courtly bureaucracy" that you could just pack with your high-statted, genetically-engineered super-courtiers.

It would be cool if some buildings opened up new positions for characters. Like maybe you invest a lot of prestige and money in founding a university, and it creates a university chancellor position whose occupant gets some prestige and renown and also contributes to technology advance based on their stats. Again just trying to think of roles for characters to play outside of being landed nobles.

Like souped up honorary titles? There were already buildings/great works that gave honorary titles, so I could see a future DLC adding something like this.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Everything that comes out only has me more hyped. I watched the Proud Bavarian video, and the game just... looks like it's a lot of fun to play. This really might be their best launch yet.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

sexpig by night posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-Zk6G4aiI

I may make my first game an African one, nice to see that part of the world get some love from the start

The amazing thing is of course going from "oh no, I need to reform my faith so that my cheating becomes legitimized" to "I've done so well going on a conquering spree, my faith's fervor is through the roof and it's too expensive to reform it now, but it doesn't matter, because nobody seems to seriously mind my adulterous ways".

*forgets that he plays a tribal ruler and will split his huge Ghana among his half a dozen or so sons*

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Whorelord posted:

I'm going to revive the Mazdaki faith and turn the Middle East into a giant Anarcho-Syndicalist Sex Commune.

Great post/username combination!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Every second streamer selecting Carnal Exaltation for one of their new faith's tenets. Why am I not surprised?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zedhe Khoja posted:

It hurts how hyped I am for this.
None of the cautious optimism of Imperator, or cynicism of Stellaris.
Pure unadulterated longing, free of doubts.

:same:

But I think there's cause for optimism. The streamers are forbidden from releasing their reviews, but they're snatching in bits here and there. One of them put a something like "this is advertisement, Paradox paid me to do this... I don't know why, I would have paid them" at the start of his video, OPB posted an image of him already having 201 hours played time for CK3 on twitter, etc. There's also the guy who recently mostly uploaded vids being disappointed in Imperator: Rome to his youtube, with the last one being "Goodbye Imperator", and he mentions that he will switch focus to CK3 instead. I think the streamers have a pretty positive impression of the game.

But we'll see in four days, when the review embargo drops.

It's too late for me, I already pre-ordered. I don't even know what the pre-order bonus is, I'm too hyped to care for that.

I like that they are introducing compelling choices in many areas. One is the dynasty management. I think Coolguye had a good post about it in the CK2 thread: There was basically never a downside to land every dynasty member if you could, except if you played as a Muslim. Dynasty member vassals like you more by default than non-dynasty vassals (except if you're using elective monarchy), so that's a plus. It's also less common to get a game over on succession if your whole realm is governed by family members. And it's easier to get back the top title if you get overthrown if they are also of your dynasty, since they will nearly always accept marriage proposals, since you're of the same dynasty. So marry your daughter to the usurper's eldest son, and make sure your daughter is your heir, and your grandchild will reunite the titles. It also really helps with dynasty prestige. The more family members are landed, the faster dynasty prestige grows. This not only lets each of your children start with a hefty prestige bonus from birth, giving a big general opinion bonus, but high dynasty prestige makes the AI more willing to enter into marriages, which makes it easier to get claims or titles into your family through playing the marriage game.

In CK3 however, the devs tweaked the system a bit. Dynasty prestige is replaced with dynasty renown, and you only get renown for each landed family member who's not the direct or indirect vassal of another family member. That means replacing your vassals with family members will be quite a bit less useful. You still get somewhat easier realm management, especially if you invest into the family patriarch/matriarch lifestyle tree, but you will no longer accumulate massive dynasty prestige. This makes it more worthwhile to land your family members on foreign thrones. Which brings us to the fact that renown is a spendable resource, unlike prestige (mostly) in CK2.

You spend renown to unlock family legacies, i.e. the traits that benefit all family members. Like dynasty youth's having a higher chance to grow up with a good education trait, other houses being more willing to marry your family members, or good inheritable traits having a higher chance to be passed on, etc. I'm very curious to find out how fast renown accumulates, and how easy it is to get every dynasty legacy. Because I've seen the common assumption that the "get every family legacy" achievement will be something you get naturally by playing the game, yet I'm not so sure. Depending on the rate of renown gain, you might not be able to get all the legacies if you're only playing like a king from 1066 till 1453, without making any effort to spread your dynasty around.

Or you get plenty of dynasty renown naturally, and regularly have all legacies unlocked after 300 years. But that would kinda take away the "making each dynasty unique through having different legacies" design goal, so I wouldn't be surprised if Paradox are a bit stingy with renown.

And if renown is not plentiful, the fact that it's also used for dynasty actions will probably make the system rather compelling. If you have to spread your dynasty to have good renown growth, this will make it that much more tempting to spend renown to force your family members in line. Is your cousin, the duke of Barcelona, waging war against his uncle, the king of Aragon, while their realm is invaded by Muslims? Spend renown to force them into a white peace, to better fight off the infidels. After all, if the Muslims holy war the kingdom of Aragon to death, your Christian relatives will be replaced with proper Muslim vassals, making them cease to generate renown. Or perhaps there's a chance to get a title you long wanted by disinheriting a key family member? Or do you want to split up a relative's realm by legitimizing one of his bastards? Or do you want to force an alliance with a powerful dynast by forcing them to have his daughter marry your son? You can do all that, but these actions cost precious renown.

I hope Paradox is not overly generous with renown. A scarce resource makes it much more likely to face difficult decisions, and easy to unlock legacies would make the dynasties less unique from one another, as opposed to a state where a family that focused on the stewardship path plays differently from one that went down the martial legacies path.

And watching the streams and videos, there are so many moment where I'm just thinking "this is good!". Like the change that when you generate vassals (like you did for baronies when you won a holy war in CK2), it doesn't just magically make them appear, it instead gives the title to one of the courtiers in the general area. Those of course can belong to families that you don't want to see getting more titles, or they might have left your court after you insulted them, etc. Or they might have a useful claim that you perhaps want to press. This is such a great change, and even if the player can play around this by appointing new majors and barons by hand, the AI will use this new system and it will probably lead to some hilarious situations.

Also, I saw that court physicians are in this game, too, ready to chop off your balls to cure a common cold once again. :swoon:

I'm very optimistic about CK3.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ilitarist posted:

Streamers I've watched were happy with Imperator Rome. Florryworry called it the only game that is close to EU4 in terms of goodness,

I didn't know that, thank you. I didn't follow Imperator: Rome at all. But we can all test how good the game is in less than a week :)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Who knows when he chose that nickname, and how old he was. At some point you're stuck with your terrible name, especially if your internet personality is your job

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

canepazzo posted:

Florry just showed inbreeding in the Encyclopedia, apparently if you consistently inbreed throughout the generations you have a chance of getting the "pure-blood" trait, which makes offspring immune to birth defects due to all flaws having been bred out of the bloodline :psyduck:

It's my amateur biology understanding that this is about how it would work in the real world, too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Yeah there's some precedent for it, as there were some aggressively incestuous dynasties in history that ended up more or less normal after awhile.

Basically all those kids who inherited the damaging genes died, leaving the rest with mostly intact genes (and low genetic diversity, which has it's own set of problems). But this only works if you really let the deformed kids die, instead of using your massive wealth to keep them alive because their parents have two sets of titles for the child to inherit.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

nessin posted:

Has anyone put together a list/summary of what was carried over from CK2 and what was left behind? Even though it's been like two years since I played CK2 (and based on my attempts at Monarch's Journey challenges, I remember nothing), I'm still kind of curious what the big picture carry over was.

Please read the very second post in this thread :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

canepazzo posted:

To tide you over the next 56 minutes, the CK3 wiki is live.

Oooooh, primogeniture and ultimogeniture both require late medieval innovations!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Princely elective is in, but not imperial elective. I'm taking this as the final confirmation that we will have a Legacy of Rome type DLC. I'm curious what will be in there, as you can already Reform the Roman Empire and Mend the Great Schism (as any Christian faith now!).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Good news, I finally got a computer that's able to play this game yesterday (instead of Wednesday as was promised to me, gently caress you, online shop :argh:), and I already lost some hours in this. So expect some updates to the OP now that I can finally sink my teeth into CK3.

One cool thing I discovered is that my favorite CK2 start (Umayyads in Spain) is still pretty cool. You are following your own branch of Sunni faith, and you only need two holy sites to make yourself the head of your faith. One is in Cordoba, and there's one in Morocco, so you will get this just by normally playing the game and expanding into Africa. It's also nice that your faith plays really well with having different faith vassals, and homosexuality is already legal. I'm definitely going to do my usual "wipe out all Abbassid" game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can you do that achievement as matrilieal rulers who aleays cheat on their brother-husbands? So long as the kids don't get outed as bastards, it should work, right?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

scaterry posted:

I put my writeup here. It's pretty in-depth.

edit: my very small request to the devs. please make outremer (culture) outremer (color)

Wow, this is completely insane. Amazing work, I could never do this.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lawman 0 posted:

Check out the workshop if you want to feel sad about how lockdown went.

I thought to myself "how bad can it be?", and a quick look showed me that the number 4 most suscribed mod was one to undress characters on demand. I think I won't bother looking further.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Effortless +25 vassal limit is pretty nice.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Whorelord posted:

Considering that the way religion and culture have been worked in CK3 I'd like to see them take the kind of thing they've done with the Tenets/Pillars system and expand it to governments. Also allows them to create different mechanics for nomads as well as the Romans at the same time, which can then be further expanded on in Flavour Packs.

I mean, the culture system does get massively expanded to be more customizable with Royal Court, and it's going to surpass anything CK2 ever did with it. It wouldn't surprise me the least if governments would be next in line to get this.

Reveilled posted:

It really stung seeing the Byzantines modelled so poorly on release, especially when it was a clear step back from CK2, which was already very poor. I told myself at the time that it must mean they were going to model them much better in a future DLC, but I didn’t expect to be waiting anywhere near this long. Even beyond the Byzantines, pretty much every tag in the game is modelled very generically and simplistically, which I forgave at release because I was expecting frequent DLCs to deepen and complicate those systems, and I find it a tad frustrating that the first major DLC a year and a half into release is a fancy room with some extra events and the artefact system that, frankly, always felt like a “game-y” element completely detached from reality and was one of my least favourite things about CK2.

I'm heartened by this message from one of the CK3 mod discords:

quote:

In other news, Way of Kings is recruiting! The Royal Court is a huge expansion (Seriously; I don't think you'd realize just how huge it is from the official teasers) so be it by art, programming, or just relieving the pressure by doing the simplest database tweaks and localization: any help is welcome!

And as I wrote above, the culture framework will be brought up to the level of the religions framework, which is far more than just a fancy room and an artefact system. So I'm just hopeful that Royal Court will be a positive surprise in how much it changes.

That said, I do agree that overall, CK3 so far hasn't been as engaging as CK2 had been at least since the Old Gods release.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So what's the current MaA meta? Somebody upthread mentioned that Varangians are amongst the strongest MaA, but I currently have no idea why, or how you are supposed to evaluate their strength.

I've been sucked back in to this game since Royal Court came out, and I must admit that I haven't maintained the OP of this thread. I plan to update it in the next two weeks, are there any good/insightful posts I should link to? Any cool guides outside of SA? If you think something should be part of the OP, just post it/about it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At succession, new mayors are of the culture and religion of their county, so there's no real pressing need to revoke all those city holdings, it will sort itself out in time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

alcaras posted:

There’s a “Exocitize” decision but it didn’t seem to do anything visually.

It changed the visuals of my (Norse) court to match the Indian court I decided to emulate, so it worked for me at least.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TaurusTorus posted:

Does anyone else have the problem with the culture head's learning not updating after succession? It only shows the right learning after I restart the game.

I noticed this, too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Those are some good changes, and the game is updating for me right now. Can't wait to play with the new patch.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dallan Invictus posted:

I liked regencies (see above re: masochistic realism) but as a gameplay experience "you can't really do anything except hope for RNG childhood events and that your regent or council doesn't roll back all your power consolidation/legal reform progress in an orgy of self-dealing" is surprisingly unpopular!

Yes. I mean, we all enjoyed our regent basically dying of a stroke while screaming "WHY WON'T YOU DIE???". And the first time an actually competent regent managed to royally gently caress over my underaged ruler, I made sure to exterminate his whole family, but it got old pretty fast. I don't know what better system they could implement though, since those kinds of regencies weren't uncommon in real life.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 15, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What's a good proto-Russian start?

Rurik or Dyre the Stranger. The rulers of Novgorod and Kyiv, respectively.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SexyBlindfold posted:

Same-sex relationships: I can't imagine a lot of scenarios where Allowed would be like, an actual benefit game-wise - like yeah, if your ruler is gay/bi/lesbian you could have same-sex lovers without having to worry about randos getting hooks on you, but 99% of the time the relationship would count as adultery too (since you'll usually want to marry your ruler ASAP and afaik same-sex marriage isn't an option), so, like, it wouldn't be a huge difference? It'd be cool if you could get a bonus for inviting gay foreigners into your court if your religion's more tolerant of their sexuality, but as it is it's just not a fundamentally significant aspect of the game, unless there's a same-sex event tree I haven't explored. I rarely get hooks from same-sex relationships within my realm, though, so you could make it Accepted for RP reasons and not experience any particular downsides, either.

You can enable same-sex marriage as a game rule.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sky Shadowing posted:

The crusades should have a phase where the Crusaders rally at one location then proceed en masse to hit the target generally as one.

Which didn't really happen in real life iirc?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Way of Kings total conversion mod is amazing, imho. To me, it's on par with CK2's Elder Scrolls and Warhammer TCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dorkopotamis posted:

Are there any total conversions that are in a good state at present?

As I wrote further up, the Way of Kings mod is in a really excellent state.