Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Despite the lack of societies and artifacts, I look forward to once more making the world pagan and woman lead, this time with the added bonuses of gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Descar posted:

Never played CK2, but this game looks great, and the UI looks nice as well.

And after watching a few videos, it looks like this game is what the AI characters in Imperator should be playing in the background.

I would've much preferred if Imperator took more from CK2, but alas. Though Imperator's biggest fault was that it was a EU: Rome sequel instead of them building a new classical era game that didn't suck.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

It's time to bring back the old Egyptian religion.

The weak cults of the modern world shall submit before the blazing glory of Amun-Ra.

The fact that the Khemetic faith should be playable, at launch even, is great. I now have another ancient religion beyond Hellenism to bring back. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ilitarist posted:

I'm really looking for casual chill potential of CK3.

Usually I'm all for deep and complex strategy games or RPGs. But last month was tough one (I got twins, my country Belarus got a revolution with dead people on my street) and now I just want to chill the gently caress up. So my library of cool intellectual games doesn't really work for me now. I'm walking around in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and get really tired of trying to have fun from anything more complex.

So fellow lovers of needlessly complex
games, do you have any casual recommendations of any genre to pass the time while we're waiting for the release of CK3?

I dunno if this is an option but I get on comms and play civ6 with a friend. We'll both be teamed up so it's not like we're in danger of losing but it's just fun to spread out and expand and dick around with someone else there.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tenacious J posted:

I really want to get hyped for this since I missed out on CK2. It looks like it has lots of things I love about games but I think my (broken) brain is having trouble getting into it. It’s a conceptual thing. I think I don’t know what the “goal” is when I play CK2 (and presumably CK3). I know it’s a sandbox and you can make your own goals, but let’s say my goal is to get a ton of land and power - it seems arbitrary to me to pick a small and poor family when I could just play as an emperor.

I know I’m looking at it wrong, it just hasn’t clicked yet. Where does the goal/fun of the game come from for you?

Edit: is it just a matter of this game demands more “role playing” than other games to engage with it as a player?

Yeah basically just roleplay what would be a fun thing to do and pick a start where that engages you. Like I usually don't look at land/power as a goal but more, Oh I want to reunite all the Zoroastrian lands as a Persian, or I want to be the new Cleopatra ruling Egypt, or I want to bring back Hellenism, or I want to crush the Christians. Granted this relies on having knowledge of the time span, characters involved, and location. If I was forced to play in India I feel really out of it because I can't form that narrative in my head because I don't know anything about it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Did they sneak back in The Persian Army? Because that was far and away my fav CK2 track

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Swedish Horror posted:

Who is everyone planning to start as? Might do good ol' tutorial Ireland to get a feel for the new mechanics and then do a count in the HRE.

Someone in Italy or Greece to try and figure out how to go Hellenic.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's the advantage to preordering?

Hats.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I do think you should have to be of the right rank/culture to wear specific crowns, but I am all for total pretty pretty princess dress up.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Swedish Horror posted:

It would be hilarious if you could steal crowns in raids/capturing rulers.

jacknicholson.gif

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Just finished grinding out that sweet Joan of Arc hairdo in the ck2 monarch challenge so it's time to start getting hype for this.

Oh...oh no I just realized the first anime mod is just going to be Fate Go models, hell half of them are probably characters in game. :v:

also is there any way to get a save that has those challenges done so I can get credit if I'm terrible at actually playing for objectives? :ohdear:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I might check out spotify before the game comes out, but I want to say that I really liked the CK2 soundtrack. Pretty much everything from the period / regional pieces, all the way to the metal, was gold.

I'd probably pick most of it up if it was available on a non streaming platform.

I think up until Holy Fury everything was just an mp3 in the directory. I do love it, it fit so well and has so many epic songs. The CK3 one posted feels more, I want to say ethereal, but since it's supposed to be more context driven than individual song driven it might work better in practice.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Without glasses being invented you have a tendency to trip and stumble into situations comedically. You have gained the dojikko trait.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

ck3 but 80s anime portraits would own tho

:hmmyes: Legend of Galactic Heroes is practically a CK game in space already.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Jaytan posted:

I'm not the person you asked, but here's some save games from my save games folder:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vrsCN0lmEAEZzf8RH-_nT0lCQTm299Os/view?usp=sharing

Thank you :patriot:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Vichan posted:

Only a few days 'till release and all I can think is "Please let there be a ruler history... :spergin:"

Did we ever figure out how Muhammad is going to be shown? I really hope it's a fully 3d bit of writing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hell I think the gender law this time will even let you just make the world enatic if I remember previews correctly.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Now this is using your gimmick twitter account properly
https://twitter.com/CanYouPetTheDog/status/1300829198077038592

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

After a few hours of playing my biggest complaints are that there are no war lens. If multiple people are warring for the same place, but not directly at war with you, it's impossible to tell what's going you. You just have a blob of enemy armies that aren't really enemies but kind of are. :psyduck:

As well for pagan characters getting concubines is bloody annoying. There doesn't seem to be a way to ask vassals or neighbors for one, and you can't present debutantes, so unless you're keeping women in prison for it, you just won't have any. Very annoying.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Oh another feature I miss is that it no longer lists the gods of your faith anywhere I can see. I liked that little detail after Holy Fury. :ohdear: Hope it comes back.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

luxury handset posted:

it's worth pointing out for new players that catholics in the 1066 start are somewhat slow paced and law-bound by design. if you want a more exciting, kinetic game, go 867 and be a viking raider or part of the african tribal thunderdome

You are locked to the absolute worst form of Gavelkind for way longer as tribal in this game than before, though I guess even feudal rulers are still stuck with it too. It's incredibly painful though to go feudal, you now need 5 development in your capital and ALL tribal innovations, which may take a while depending on your culture.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Well this is a new one....if there is a Jihad called on the kingdom you are a vassal of...you want it to lose. Even though I was a Muslim and fighting IN the Jihad...I lost all my land when we won? Even though all my territory is muslim and I am muslim...

:psyduck:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Been having a fun game starting as the Tulunid kid in Alexandria in the 867 start. I've managed to make my own variant of Islam that's basically Hellenism, while becoming empress of Arabia and getting most of them to accept my religion. Been a fun run. Though I've run into the issue of my last two characters (both sisters) didn't have any girls. And when I finally get a character young enough to conceive, who had girls already...she had been normally married. With female dominance. :psyduck: So now I have two daughters who aren't my dynasty inheriting before my actual heir. And unfortunately she's not sadistic so she can't just plot to kill them or abduct them. I guess I'm going to have to eat the tyranny hit to imprison them? Long storm short, female dominance is just pure enatic, if you want enatic cognatic or agnatic cognatic, you need the equality doctrine or high crown authority. Something to learn for next game.

Does anyone know if you imprison someone's heir and use the release option where they give up their claims, do they stop being an heir?

As well it's bloody hard to get a witch coven going if your dynasty isn't tiny as hell. Even with witchery accepted not all the witches in my dynasty are open about it so every time I die at like 50% it's time to start over from the secret ones...

Also has anyone found a way to go Hellenic beyond the hard pay 100,000 piety option?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Jabor posted:

It costs that much piety because you have the base cost for selecting various religion traits (which are high because they're different from what you currently have), multiplied by a big multiplier to convert to a dead religion.

You can instead spend several lifetimes making your own religious cults to shift your beliefs to be more aligned with the religion you want to convert to, which will reduce the overall cost to something more achievable in a single lifetime.

I already adopted a heresy to make my faith similar to hellenic tenets and it makes no difference. When I mouse over to convert the big penalties are Hellenic isn't reformed and I am and that Hellenic has no active practitioners.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

Man, they fixed the little trick in gavelkind where you just don't create another kingdom title to avoid losing them.

Is there some way around this, or can you not expand any further from one Kingdom until you get promigeniture?

Once you get to normal partition it will at least stop doing that AND try and keep everything under one realm. If you're a double king or emperor you're still hosed but you can avoid making a title from then on out. It requires the cultural innovation Hereditary Rule iirc.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah before you get to emperor having a few kings of your dynasty can be good for juicing up renown, it's like 3~ renown for being an Emperor and 1 per king so it works to the same.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Arbite posted:

Hang on, is it possible to nudge already established religions? Can I gradually make Orthodox close to Hellenic before the final jump on without establising a new faith?

You can make a new Orthodox faith that has all the tenants and beliefs of Hellenism, but it will not make converting to Hellenism easier. At this point I do not think it is possible to legitimately convert to Hellenism because I've tried bloody everything. If you're a reformed faith you are at a 1100% penalty in terms of piety cost. If you're unreformed it's only a mere 600% but of course you can't make your tenants similar to get the base down. Even with the apostate perk, it does not work how it should, I took it as a pagan but it only reduced the cost of going Hellenic from 38k to 33k instead of the 75% i thought it would be. I'm assuming it just means the -100% from different faith penalty is just a 25% penalty when I thought it applied to the whole drat thing. This is for the record, the cheapest I've seen it. On an Islamic character who made a variant of Islam that was exactly the same as Hellenism it was something even more absurd like 64k.

It's been a goal of mine since the game came out to find a way to do it, and unless it's an event tied to reforming the Roman Empire I have not found a way to do so. (Beyond just console commanding yourself the piety.)

Eimi fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 4, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh so to reform the faith I not only need the piety but also to hold 3 Holy Sites?

Still have a lot of expanding to do, then...

so it's still own personally or vassalize and not just rulers of your faith?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

Please don't bring back societies.

Societies owned. :colbert: I loved the extra events. Though I guess if they just added that many events without them it'd be cool. Also made the gallant perks to reduce knight death work. That'd be nice too.

One thing I'm finding out is really hard is fighting off a mass vassal revolt. Doesn't matter that I outnumber them. Every battle it's just their elite man at arms and like 55 knights vs my 12. It feels really unfair and just...stupid. The loyal vassals should at least supply their knights or something to balance it out.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So something I've noticed playing several games with gender laws set to inverted. The AI sucks at making matrilineal marriages. I'm not just seeing heirs unlanded, but if I gift someone land and don't arrange their marriage myself, it's like 70/30 they will be in a regular marriage kissing their dynasty goodbye. This is extremely annoying given that I am trying to set up kingdoms for my dynasty to farm renown. Given that the only other game rule I'm playing with is bisexuality being the norm, this doesn't seem intended and it really hurts any kind of long term dynasty play, so I hope this can get fixed so that it works like it does for male rulers.

Also a comment on religion and withcraft, if you accept witches is there any way to easily find one/be to start your own coven going? Also it would be nice if it was accept it wouldn't be under an evil god's auspices, though I already find the idea of 'evil' god for non Abrahamic religions kind of strange.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Why? Some of them have very similar Satan analogues. Many other revere gods of death, disease, and other misfortune that are clearly evil as well.

Some might be in grey areas, like Loki or Hel, but others like Angra Mainyu was created from evil and is adversarial to the religion. Chernobog was likely considered evil as well, or at the very least an evil aspect of some dualism.

Abrahamic religions don't exactly have the monopoly on evil.

You are right with the examples you posted, though I would say just because their domain is death they aren't evil. Hades for example is clearly not an evil deity. I guess I just wish it was more granular. Which granted I hope will get added over time.

AG3 posted:

There a lot of little annoyances and nitpicks I have about the game, plus the intermittent bugs, but the fact that the game is so engrossing that I struggle to stop playing it on release makes me hopeful for what's to come if this game gets the kind of support CK2 got.

The main thing I'm missing from late-stage CK2 is less Christian church-style music when playing the norse pagans. I miss the more vikingy metal music that came with the Old Gods expansion and such.

I am sad the mod that adds back in the CK2 soundtrack also has the metal ones which I didn't enjoy but Andreas Waldetoft's score for CK2 is just amazing. Also apparently music modding right now is limited to just ambient music with no control over what plays, so a mod can't add in music that only plays if you're norse or in Scandinavia or what have you.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I think part of it is that they moved to meters instead of having % based events. So now you will always get that claim in x time, you will always progress your plot at a rate you can see and know. Instead in CK2 there is a lot more uncertainty to what happens. Also in regards to plots/hooks/etc, it seems to me waaaay too easy to do plots by yourself. In CK2 they ended up adding a minimum number of agents and in general your intrigue alone was rarely enough, but in CK3 that's just not the case, you don't need anyone's help regardless of what nefarious scheme you are doing, and if you are a master intrigue character you are literally Solid Snake. So needing to have agents again could help control things.

Warfare wise seems mostly the same, aside from some wonkiness with regards to rebellions and their massive hordes of knights, but I have noticed it's ridiculously likely to capture the ruler now when you siege down their capital if they aren't commanding armies. So that can make wars end lightning fast, but this does apply to you too so I guess it's...fair? :shrug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Magyars are a really fun start. For some reason Carpathia is a teeny tiny empire that's ridiculously easy to form, so you can quickly do so and now you are safe from the worst parts of Partition, since your invasion gets you most of Hungary as is. Though you can only go Hungarian culture if you become a Christian. And hey with your first few strong martial leaders you can even beat up the Romans if you get just a tiny bit lucky!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

PizzaProwler posted:

Visigothic Codes also grants access to all partition laws right out of the gate. It's pretty nice.

:eyepop: I assume that's just Asturias in 867?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

With shy I think each action should give less stress just because so much of the game relies on this and it's debilitating in a way no other trait is. Like at least the other annoying stress traits like Ambitious or Paranoid offer strong upsides.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hryme posted:

Female dominated is not good because they refuse to marry matrilineally and your vassals do not follow you over to the female dominated succession law it seems. Disappointing. Hope they tweak it.

Yeah this is a big problem that's inherited from CK2. It's really a shame and I don't know how it fails to work, since I assume it would work off just mirroring whatever the male code is to make them not dumb.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tribal buildings not carrying over is the biggest gently caress you of the Tribal-> Feudal transition right now. This was solved in CK2 and seeing it just be a huge issue is really annoying here. There's no point building anything as a tribe now and you just want to blitz as much as you can until you have the stupidly large bank to transition. Or do the whole migratory thing and take over someone Feudal so you don't have to build infrastructure.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Has anyone done the needful and made a mod where you can buy a dog or cat yet?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Absolutely required mod, thank you.

I kinda miss transport boats ala CK2, but at the same time it's nice to be able to play a landlocked region and still be able to contribute stuff you'd want boats for.

I think I mostly just dislike 50 day embark times when I'm raiding.

It is insanely harsh. Like I get that they wanted to make raiding less annoying to deal with as the victim, but it takes forever to get on the drat boats again as a viking, they could half the time and it'd still be long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

blue squares posted:

War sucks rear end in this game. It’s inexcusably bad

I wish I could just use the Imperator ai where I'm like focus on this area and handle the troops. The combination of insanely huge levies but tiny supply limits just kills me. The ai of course can perfectly split its unit but for me that's more tedium than I ever want to self inflict.