Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I bought CK3 a week ago, I guess I should've waited for the expansion to drop, but oh well. This is my first time playing any of the CK games, so I'm learning my way through.

Had a weird thing happen to me though, and I'm wondering if it's because of the expansion. I was playing through my tutorial game, and was doing pretty well. Save it last night while in the middle of a war, and when I came back today, my save was all hosed up. It said the save was from a different version of CK. Armies were completely wiped out, my king looked different and died like immediately after starting. Essentially my whole game got completely ruined. Is there any saving this, or should I just move on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ah thanks for the help. I’ll probably just move on since I was thinking about starting from scratch anyway. Glad to know it was something on my end at least.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Since I’m pretty new, I just learned a powerful lesson in having too many allies. These dickheads want to start their own wars. You’re supposed to wait around for MY war! Doesn’t help that some of them like to start wars they have no hope of winning and get pissed when I don’t send reinforcements.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Boy I hate succession laws. Started in Bohemia and it goes to oldest in the line, which was like my 4 brothers. So instead of going to someone young, it just goes to some like 3 years younger, who then dies in a couple years. Rinse and repeat through like 4 kings in 10 years.

Won’t let me change it because we don’t have anything else discovered. Maybe soon I can finally pass this thing down to some under 50.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sheep posted:

Get to absolute crown authority and then you can designate heir for 1000 prestige irrespective of succession laws or cultural stuff. Not really possible with the first guy but I think it's possible on the second or third depending on how long they last.

Ah thanks, I didn’t realize that’s an option. Although that will be tough to keep up.

Different question, does the game let you create new empires, or are you locked in? Like if I have three kingdoms, but one is supposed to be in the HRE, one in the carpathian, and one in the southern Baltic, can I make a brand new empire? If not, I guess as Bohemia I shouldn’t waste my time trying to expand east.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ok thanks. I managed to secede from the HRE already thanks to the emperor being in massive debt. Just wasn’t sure if my only option was to take over the HRE or do my own thing. Good to know. Gonna make a new Austro-Hungarian empire with less incense(maybe).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I just got crushed by factions after a succession. Was Bohemia and took over Hungary. Installed my nephew as King of Hungary, but I was next in line, so just murdered him and bam, I’m now running both kingdoms. Put down a civil war a few years later and thought I had things semi-stable.

My successor was some cousin who was unlanded until I gave him some county a few years before I died. I didn’t have absolute crown authority in order to change successors. As soon as that cousin took over, I had most of Hungary and half of Bohemia trying to overthrow me and I just didn’t have the numbers. Got bounced all the way down to Duke and I don’t even have a successor now. Sigh.

Probably should have tried to murder that cousin to get to someone better to succeed me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

When the peasants ask to speak to your manager.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Wars are very annoying in this game because there is zero coordination between allies. I have to imagine that even back then, two allies would talk to each other and make a game plan. Also the occasional misclick and my own army is getting rerouted to who knows where.

I've learned to not be the first one to show up to the crusade too. As I've definitely have been greeted by a rather large mob who completely demolishes me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Has anyone spontaneously converted? It's happened to me twice now and I'm not sure why. It's not even for any huge neighboring religion. Catholic one day, Jewish the next. I can't even convert back because I don't have enough faith built up I guess. Everyone hates me extra now, great.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea maybe I clicked something on accident. Is there a log of when this happens? I could never find anything. Maybe I can go to an old save and see when it happened.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ugh I want my current guy to die already. My heir has better traits and my current guy is craven and shy, which makes a bunch of things hard to do without overloading on stress.

At least I managed to get out of faction hell by putting one down and revoking titles to give to my kids.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Omnicarus posted:

Overload on stress and die

I got my wish and he died like a year later anyway, but I have to remember the stress trick.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Fuligin posted:

yeah i've seen this happening too. everyone's too scared to head towards syria or the levant so they end up pathing waaaaay east i guess. i miss ck2 crusades

Mine mostly seem to have people land their boats in Jerusalem, but since no one lands at the same time, they all get greeted by a 20k army and wiped out immediately.

I’ve definitely had to learn the faction game. Had to put one down and then revoked titles to give out to my kids. The occasional marriage alliance helps too.

Slightly funny moment in my current game, the Holy Roman Empire has been reduced to one county, but the guy in charge is still called Emperor. I’m like third in line to inherit it and there’s an election going on. Very worth my time.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 20, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

In the latest edition of Intrigue Is Bad Actually, it turns out my son was banging my sister, and also my daughter with 100 opinion of me was attempting - extremely badly - to murder me, god only knows why.

What's worse, these things barely even matter. You'd think for such actions there'd be serious outrage, but nobody even cares.

I recently had my sister, who was my spymaster at the time, get caught having sex with her grandson. She must suck at her job if everyone found that out. It had some consequences as she got excommunicated. When her husband died, I couldn’t find anyone worth a drat to marry her to.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Is there a way to swap duchies with a vassal? I have 5 total in my kingdom, and I'm holding 2. I'd like to swap one with a duke, but I can't figure out how to do that without granting one and then revoking the other, and I'm worried the revoke part is going to set off a bunch of tyranny triggers.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Nope, you have to revoke and grant. Which means all vassals getting mad at you, not only the affected one

Unless you make yourself a claim on the title you want to revoke using your court chaplain, than only the vassal will be pissed (but that will be compensated by he loving you for the title granted)

Thanks, that's what I figured. I could probably make a claim since I hold a few counties inside the duchy I want, I'll have to try that out. I'd rather not set off a tyranny war, but I could probably manage it if I do.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Eldoop posted:

Nothing like winning a big tyranny war and getting to seize half the realm then spend twenty minutes handing it all back out to dynasty members. Feels so fresh and clean!

I just did the same thing! I had an uncle who hated me and a duchy I wanted. Didn’t matter that I granted him a new duchy right before I tried to revoke the other one. I just decided I’d rather fight the tyranny war and revoke the titles to give out to my kids.

Hopefully my steward points will help me recover with the vassals I still have.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

My current game is definitely suffering from the AI not managing factions. Europe has broken up into a hundred little territories with even a bunch of counties all by themselves with no liege. I’ve been picking them off one by one, or vassalizing a bunch at one time too.

Was funny to see the HRE reduced to a couple counties, and then get taken over by Hungary, so then Hungary became the HRE. Then like five years later the entire thing fell apart again with counties and duchies all split off on their own. The HRE is once again back to just a couple counties.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I keep trying to figure out which trait I hate the most and Greedy is at the top of my list right now. I vassalized a bunch of people at the same time, but I couldn’t grant them to their rightful Duke because the stress was killing me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Serephina posted:

God, there's so many details in this game that's just black magic. Like elope requires soulmates not just lovers apparently? Wiki's not totally right on the requirements, at the very least. Also what effects raid speed? Sometimes it's 10 days, sometimes its 40 months. Who knows!!

I feel the same way about war score. I think I get most frustrated when I have devastated some guy down to like 100 guys vs. my 10,000 but I still have to siege three more towns before I can finally enforce demands.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

TjyvTompa posted:

You can get a maximum of 50% warscore from battles alone, for the rest you need to siege. It says so if you hover over the warscore.

Thanks, I never noticed that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Finally got to a point where I feel like I’ve mastered the basics and working on some mid to higher level play. Took Bohemia and made a new empire consisting of like 7 kingdoms so far. I think I just wiped the last remnants of the HRE off the map.

Recently had my 82 year old, smart and healthy ruler die. He was loved by like everyone and built it up enough to establish the empire. Of course his 52 year old drunkard son took over and didn’t even make it five years before drinking himself to death. Moved onto the his 22 year old son, so hopefully this guy can stick around for a while.

Have some really pissed of vassals, but luckily I have an army nearly 50k strong, so no one can form a strong enough faction.

Only issue now is trying to find ways to fight bigger wars. Going to war with Poland to claim a couple counties is more tedious than fun.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Mental note, make sure your player heir hasn't converted to some minor faith that only 5% of your empire follows. I managed to white peace a liberty civil war, and win the religious civil war a year of succession. Made everyone convert as a condition of leaving prison, so I guess I'm working on converting most of my empire now. Good news is I can wage Holy Wars against my catholic neighbors.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I’d look at knights and also men at arms. There are little diamonds next to the army to show quality. A smaller, but higher quality army (meaning more/better knights or more MaA) can still wreck a larger army. Location matters too. A defending army on a hill gets bonuses.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

That’s probably a hostile army thing where they’re not necessarily at war with you, but will fight you anyway. Were they orange or red?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm facing a holy war, is there anything I can do to bring in more people, or does it automatically draw in everyone of the same faith? I'm not seeing much for options aside from converting everyone I can.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Was the claimant bug fixed? I haven’t noticed it recently.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

gently caress I'm so pissed. I was one county away from uniting the Slavs, but I was having to slog it out in mountainous territory so the war was taking forever. Then the loving pope starts a holy war with me, so I white peace my war to prepare for the holy war. I was so close.

To make matters worse, I had been running Czech culture the whole time, but my last heir had switched to Russian. Once he inherited my giant Bohemian empire, I had to switch him back to Czech because it was way better than Russian. What I didn't pay attention to was the succession laws changed. I had been running primogeniture for a long time, and it switched to confederate partition. When that guy dies, my empire was split three ways. If not for the loving pope I would have united the slavs and been done. ARGH!

Behold what I had before it all fell apart. There's even some counties in Iberia and Italy in there.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

If you got Confederate Partitioned in the age of possible primogeniture you have claims to all the top level titles that got split off, and you should the innovation that lets you press multiple claims at the same time, meaning it'll take all of two wars to put it back together.

e: also lmao at that fragmentation. God drat this game needs work, I should really care less about it.

I could, but I'm in the middle of a giant holy war where the Catholics are fight my hoard of Waldensians. It's like two armies of 160k soldiers. It's taking forever and at this point I'm just calling it quits. I only have about 20 years left to go before I run out of time anyway.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Just out of curiosity what does your army composition look like?

I would be launching all sorts of secondary campaigns on any brother who wasn't also in that Great Holy War, but that's me :v:

I was going to type it out, but I figure a picture is better. In hindsight, I should've just ignored the Great Holy War because I could've easily taken the kingdom back later on.

I think I should've added more siege weapons. There were definitely times I could've used more of them so I could siege more places at once.

E: Any good places to start in the mideast or Africa? Thinking of doing a Muslim guy.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Normally I wouldn’t have all those levies raised but this was during the great holy war so I had everyone going. My normal mode is raise a local army with all my MaA.

I was definitely bleeding money during the holy war, and it wasn’t worth it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Good to know. I figured having a mix was good, but how the game figured battle outcomes always seemed really vague to me.

Like 2,000 armored cav can really take out an army 10x it’s size?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Wow thanks. I realized I really hadn’t dug into the military tabs all that much. I was just kind of mixing and matching everything figuring that having a lot of different types was best.

Another question, what exactly does a garrison do? Is it just to help strengthen defenses during a siege? I was never quite sure what adding to my garrisons accomplished.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 5, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Boy you can really knock out a lot of kids when you have four wives. Then my dad, not satisfied with his four wives, goes and knocks up my primary wife! What an rear end in a top hat.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I hate Shy in general. I just nearly killed myself from stress because my new character took over and could negotiate alliances with like 8 family members and each time was another 20 stress. Also means that feasts don’t relieve stress.

Had Shy and Craven together and that one sucked because Hunts also didn’t relive stress. I had to luck into some stress relieving events to bring it down.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

If I’m a vassal, my liege has the be the one to grant me a higher title right? Like even if I control every county in a duchy, I can’t create a Duke title for myself, correct?

Decided to start a Spain game and got bumped down from King to count. Partly because my cousin kept starting wars with my stronger brother king and kept losing, which meant he kept ceding territory to that king and just making him that much stronger until I couldn’t stop him. Would’ve been fine if my murder scheme hadn’t been foiled.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

The only crusades I ever saw being won in CK3 had my participation

But I guess is pretty random when is just AI on both sides, it all depends on where and when the stacks will happen to meet

I just helped win a crusade and got my beneficiary installed as Queen of Jerusalem. The Muslims seemed really weak this time as the Catholics easily outnumbered them, which helped. I didn’t even send that big of a force, but somehow came in first.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Always fun when I find new ways to screw up. I have this weirdly good thing going on in my current game where everyone has one son and a ton of daughters. I’m like in my fourth generation and it’s been like that for everyone until I screwed it up.

I had one son and three daughters. That son had one son and two daughters, and then died in his 30s from wounds. So my grandson, who is like 17 is about to inherit everything despite being still in partition.

Of course when I’m 65, my wife died and I go ahead and marry a 25 year old, why not! In a year she pops out twin boys, and I guess that was too much for me because I drop dead a few months later. So now my like 18 year old grandson inherits the empire and has two baby uncles for vassal kings.

The game took pity on me and one of my uncles died at 15 from stress, this was after abdicating his realm back to me at 7. Dude just couldn’t take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Anecdotally, it does seem like the AI is better at handling factions now, or there just aren’t enough of them. I’m seeing large AI empires hold it together a lot more.