Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
This is a thread for appreciating the unique art style of Japanese HD surrealism. Japanese HD surrealism is a term coined (by me) to describe art styles in Japanese-developed games on HD consoles with certain commonalities such as:

-Painstakingly crafted real-world objects/brands
-Weird boxy architecture
-Seemingly inhuman proportions/scale
-Flat-ish lighting
-Semi open world
-Limited animations - no mo-cap, very simple cutscenes often without lip sync animations
-A strange emptiness like a bad cheap movie set

So what are some examples?

Yakuza Series

Yakuza Series

Metal Gear Solid 4

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (note the strange scale of the walls and doors)

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (surreal, wide empty streets)

Deadly Premonition Series

Deadly Premonition Series

Bayonetta 2

It's important to note that not every Japanese game has this unique art style. Here are some examples of games that are close but would ultimately be excluded:
-Persona 5 - too stylized, Persona 4 might fit
-MGSV - Kojima graduated to actual realism with this title
-Souls games
-Any Sony first-party game - too detailed and realistic
-Resident Evil 2 - that burger looks too real compared to the horrendous food creations of the other titles

Possible precursors to this style:
While the style didn't hit its stride until the HD era there are some examples of games that most likely precipitated the trend.

Sonic Adventure - the OG

Resident Evil 4 - Later RE games achieved too much fidelity to be included

Please use this thread to share your examples and appreciation for this unique art style. If you're like me, starting a game within this category is like slipping into a warm bath. A glimpse into another reality where the goal of game design is no longer realism, but just the same crappy models and textures from 2 gens ago in HD and characters with really detailed pores.

And with that, I'll leave you with a question for discussion: Does Mario Odyssey's New Donk City fall into this category?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

GameCube posted:

what if dubstep musician Skrillex was a computer program? i think it'd go a little something like this

Let's not engage in baseless speculation here

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Has that topic been covered? I searched but didn't see anything

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

oh lordy if that ain't the good poo poo

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Smdh at this oversight op. Imps LOVE Shenmue

it takes a village

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Sivek posted:

Way of the Samurai fits this bill. More games should let you interrupt cutscenes by unsheathing your weapon.

oh baby that's the stuff

look at those janky rear end wooden beams

edit: I think that if you ever see the font that WotS uses in the top right that's automatic qualification into this category.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Even the same drat studio couldn't help loving it up. Check out this progression from Burnout 2 > 3 > 4.

there's that font again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

This thread feels like a pop quiz that I didn’t study for lol.

well you just aced it, bucko