Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Obviously not technically a third party console but I'm not really sure where else to put a question about a third party hacked DSi running NDS Bootstrap and TWiLight, so any help is appreciated:

A few times now the system has just completely shut off abruptly- I've had it happen in both the main menu as well as in a game (DQ5 specifically). DQ5 has also got really weird and bad video issues during the opening video, like the screen starts flickering and tearing. This may happen in more titles but honestly I haven't explored enough to say for sure.

Additionally I've also had time where closing the console for sleep mode doesn't change anything (I can hear the audio playing when closed), and once it simply shut off entirely. And yeah the console has been well-charged in all instances.

Anyone ever dealt with something like this? It's hard to get comfortable playing anything when the console may simply turn off randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

E: Re: Worms Armageddon

Just add infinte jetpacks and the overpowered shotgun will be the least of your problems.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Countblanc posted:

Obviously not technically a third party console but I'm not really sure where else to put a question about a third party hacked DSi running NDS Bootstrap and TWiLight, so any help is appreciated:

A few times now the system has just completely shut off abruptly- I've had it happen in both the main menu as well as in a game (DQ5 specifically). DQ5 has also got really weird and bad video issues during the opening video, like the screen starts flickering and tearing. This may happen in more titles but honestly I haven't explored enough to say for sure.

Additionally I've also had time where closing the console for sleep mode doesn't change anything (I can hear the audio playing when closed), and once it simply shut off entirely. And yeah the console has been well-charged in all instances.

Anyone ever dealt with something like this? It's hard to get comfortable playing anything when the console may simply turn off randomly.
You could ask in the Hacking and Homebrew thread, but I had a similar problem to what you're describing and supposedly it's caused by a loose aftermarket battery or something. The solution in my case was to insert a small wedge of folded paper at the far edge of the battery from the contacts, in between the shell and the battery with also a little lip in between the battery cover and the battery, which helps keep the connection between the battery and the console nice and firm.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

Gonna say Worms Armageddon is real good. Pinnacle of the series, I still play it with a friend of mine before our weekly movie nights.

Edit: Do yourself a favour, make a custom ruleset and disable baseball bats and shotguns. The bat is bad design because it means the optimal action for every first turn is "find the enemy worm nearest the water and instantly kill them." The shotgun is bad design because A) it deals an extremely reliable 50 damage, putting it ahead of just about every other default weapon except dynamite and B) it potentially allows you to kill two enemy worms in one turn, and these two things make it almost always the best weapon on any given turn.

not sure if you can do it on the PS1 version, but if you're concerned about bad spawn points there's an option to let everyone place their worms manually at the start of the game

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The_White_Crane posted:

Gonna say Worms Armageddon is real good. Pinnacle of the series, I still play it with a friend of mine before our weekly movie nights.

Edit: Do yourself a favour, make a custom ruleset and disable baseball bats and shotguns. The bat is bad design because it means the optimal action for every first turn is "find the enemy worm nearest the water and instantly kill them." The shotgun is bad design because A) it deals an extremely reliable 50 damage, putting it ahead of just about every other default weapon except dynamite and B) it potentially allows you to kill two enemy worms in one turn, and these two things make it almost always the best weapon on any given turn.

Holy hand grenade right off the rip, round one. Negates any shotgun or bat shenanigans that may occur.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man I miss worms. How’s the steam version? I may toss it on my deck

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the steam version of WA is in a very good place because T17 handed over the source code to a couple of community members who completely fixed it up for modern versions of windows, and did various other QOL improvements, and their changes were pushed to the steam version officially

that was an own-goal for T17 because it undermined all the newer worse worms games but im not complaining lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Worms WMD is good as well and is on all current systems.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
yeah WMD was the best one since WWP though Open Warfare 2 was good on both systems

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

TadBradley posted:

Anyone got recs for a good retro turn-based multiplayer game that could run on a miyoo mini? My wife and I are about to have a 14 hour flight, and it'd be nice to play something together that we could pass the miyoo back and forth on. Something like Mario, where multiplayer is just two alternating single-player runs, is less appealing than something where we're working together or against each other.

I hope I’m not too late, but motherfucking Battle Hunter on PS1. It’s a turn based multiplayer board game/dungeon crawler with progression between runs. You race your friends to treasure chests and try to escape with the key item before they or the monsters get you.

Also nthing Advance Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
In case that goon hasn't left on vacation yet: you can set up coop games against the CPU in Advance Wars 2. Just go to Versus mode and select the 3p or 4p maps. It takes like two minutes to set up and you can pass the console back and forth when your turn is done. It's pretty much the best road trip thing ever.