Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Friends, I am small brained. What systems can you play on the Retroid Pocket 2? e: and is there a system that can handle PS2?

Bogart fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

You can play everything up to and including Dreamcast on Retroid Pocket 2. You can use Steam Link since it's running on Android 6 to play PS2 games using PCSX2, a PC PS2 emulator. However this obviously requires a PC and a decent internet connection.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bogart posted:

e: and is there a system that can handle PS2?

Here's a spreadsheet that performs terribly:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1irg60f9qsZOkhp0cwOU7Cy4rJQeyusEUzTNQzhoTYTU/edit

In the "Performance" category anything with "⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💥" can play PS2, by a quick glance this means spending more than $300

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Anyone get their Retroid Pocket 2 yet?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm think about getting the RG280M, the builb quality is apparently great like the 350, and the resolution is a good match for the GBA (exactly 2x in each dimension).

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Slimy Hog posted:

Anyone get their Retroid Pocket 2 yet?

Mine shipped the 4th and got to Cincinnati on the 5th and now it's in Nebraska, showing delivery for the 14th.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Do I need to do any type of conversion to play games? Or do I just drop in the roms for the Retroid Pocket 2? I have a n3DS that I installed some homebrew on, but I'm not to happy with the interface and some of the conversions that I have to do (.gba -> .cia). I also didn't really like some of the emulator's menus, they're a bit clunky and didn't give me the option to have a list vs a bunch of icons for each game. I'm primarily interested GB, SNES and DS games.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wait is that $15 on top of the $10 regular shipping?

Also this coupon code I got from a retro gaming discord saves $5

YEJJD

This code still works. Probably means I'm on another list but five dollars is five dollars!

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

obi_ant posted:

Do I need to do any type of conversion to play games? Or do I just drop in the roms for the Retroid Pocket 2? I have a n3DS that I installed some homebrew on, but I'm not to happy with the interface and some of the conversions that I have to do (.gba -> .cia). I also didn't really like some of the emulator's menus, they're a bit clunky and didn't give me the option to have a list vs a bunch of icons for each game. I'm primarily interested GB, SNES and DS games.

It sounds like you just drop the ROM in the console folder on the memory card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrTC5aXLvMY

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I ordered my Indigo Retroid 2 on 8/24 and didn’t get any kind of notifications until just this morning. I got a text from DHL saying they have a box from HK on the way. It’ll apparently be here Friday.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

I ordered my Indigo Retroid 2 on 8/24 and didn’t get any kind of notifications until just this morning. I got a text from DHL saying they have a box from HK on the way. It’ll apparently be here Friday.

Mine was shipped last Friday/Saturday and DHL said it would be delivered on Thursday, this morning I got a notification that it's out for delivery :dance:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m really glad now I switched to DHL. 4 days from Hong Kong to my mailbox is nuts if it works out.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Ordered the same color and day with DHL so maybe I'll get a notification. That's crazy fast. Last week was the all time record though. I ordered a GoXLR Mini from Germany because they're sold out everywhere in the US on Monday and it showed up on Wednesday (NH). It was through UPS.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Mine showed up today. Now to turn it on and try to figure out how to get games on it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Mine showed up today. Now to turn it on and try to figure out how to get games on it.

A user said it was probably drop and play. It would be great if it were because there are one too many steps for some of the home brew on my n3ds.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I may have posted it but there’s a r/Retroid subreddit that has a compiled guide/advice sticky.

If you don’t want serious customization, I think you just run the Retroid app that’s preinstalled. A common hiccup is that you have to connect to the WiFi again once you load it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Rolo posted:

I may have posted it but there’s a r/Retroid subreddit that has a compiled guide/advice sticky.

If you don’t want serious customization, I think you just run the Retroid app that’s preinstalled. A common hiccup is that you have to connect to the WiFi again once you load it.

That sticky is very helpful, thanks. There is a ton of preinstalled games which surprises me.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Slimy Hog posted:

Mine was shipped last Friday/Saturday and DHL said it would be delivered on Thursday, this morning I got a notification that it's out for delivery :dance:

Dumb DHL says "nobody was home". Well I guess I have to wait until tomorrow.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

obi_ant posted:

A user said it was probably drop and play. It would be great if it were because there are one too many steps for some of the home brew on my n3ds.
They usually are

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So if I want to use a bigger memory card do I just copy the existing folders directly over to the new card?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

obi_ant posted:

The n3DS is an outlier, most things work just fine with standard roms.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Afaik you can just use normal ROMs on a 3ds if you don't use Nintendos built in emulator.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

wandler20 posted:

So if I want to use a bigger memory card do I just copy the existing folders directly over to the new card?

Only if you want to use retroid os + their game "store".

Got mine! Now I'm just waiting on reset collection to... Scan or something

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Slimy Hog posted:

Only if you want to use retroid os + their game "store".

Got mine! Now I'm just waiting on reset collection to... Scan or something

I'm actually preferring to use the Retroid os so far. It just works and everything is fairly organized. The store actually has a whole bunch of games which was useful because a lot of my roms aren't working.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Been fiddling with mine for the past four or five days. Using the Retroid OS is definitely the easiest way to just hop in and play but also pretty limiting in a lot of ways. I tried setting up Reset Collection as well as customizing Dig for frontends, but ultimately just doing everything in Retroarch seems like the best choice. Reset Collection populates VERY slowly every time you open it up, and Dig is fine but it's just jumping over to Retroarch (or whatever emulator you are using) when you launch a game. Swapping the menu interface for Retroarch from XMB to Ozone, which looks a bit like the Nintendo Switch OS, feels a bit cleaner and easier as well. Note that for PSX games, playlists won't populate from scanning if you are using .pbp files. Only works if you're using .cue/.bin. You have to build a manual playlist for PSX titles or do "Load Content" manually for them.

It's definitely not as simple of a user experience as something like Emulation Station on Raspberry Pi devices, but the device itself runs great. Feels like we're another year or so away from something that feels as good and easy as a NES/SNES Mini UI out of the box which, honestly, I'd pay a bit more for.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Mine showed up 2 days early.

Somehow this thing got to me from HK in 2 days.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

Mine showed up 2 days early.

Somehow this thing got to me from HK in 2 days.

Yeah, DHL is super quick.

I'm really enjoying messing with this thing. I haven't done too much n64 stuff, but what I have (a romhack of SM64) was a bit wonky; everything else has run like a dream though!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The retroid app really is an easy way to dive in, but I think I’m going to take my time customizing this thing with a bigger card.

For one, I can’t get games to save with Retroid. Just save states, which is fine but my immersion!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

The retroid app really is an easy way to dive in, but I think I’m going to take my time customizing this thing with a bigger card.

For one, I can’t get games to save with Retroid. Just save states, which is fine but my immersion!

I hear they're fixing the save game thing in the OTA update that's coming next month.

I popped out the card that came with it and immediately threw my own in there. I like having customization and don't want to play games then be locked into their ecosystem due to the encryption.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can you set Retroarch to boot on startup?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

Can you set Retroarch to boot on startup?

From what I understand, you'll need a separate application to do this. This link was shared in the discord:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bh.android.TargetHomeLauncher&showAllReviews=true

but I have no idea how good/bad it is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Any recommendations for a really small one with good build quality and battery life that can handle GBA/SNES? Something the size of a GBA micro but with decent sized buttons would be ideal

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 16, 2020

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Depending on what SNES games you want to play, you might want to look into the Retro Mini. Cheap, well-built, and it uses the OEM game boy micro screen so GBA games display perfectly.

SNES games look pretty lovely natively and you're missing two buttons, but installing opendingux give you better scaling and cropping options. I played all the way through Chrono Trigger on it with no problems.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I got into a handheld emulation kick a little over a year ago and got a GPD XD+ that I've been pretty happy with. It's got a larger screen and battery than most of the newer handheld emulator boxes in a clamshell design and I haven't had any of the quality issues that some people have reported. It runs on Android 7 out of the box but I installed custom firmware and some other tweaks so I haven't had any issues emulating up through the psp/ps1/dreamcast era you would expect, and I can steamlink off of it as well, though I never do. I run retroarch cores for most older systems and more focused emulator programs for the newer systems and everything runs well.

It's more expensive and not as user friendly out of the box as the newer handhelds, but I definitely wouldn't trade it in for one now that I have it running just how I like it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Retroid 2 owners, I totally botched my Retroarch config file because it’s set to auto save on quit.

Can anyone find a way to share the stock config file that came with the system?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Rolo posted:

Retroid 2 owners, I totally botched my Retroarch config file because it’s set to auto save on quit.

Can anyone find a way to share the stock config file that came with the system?

On PC, you can just delete the config file and it’ll regenerate with the defaults next time you start it up. Can you access it in the file system on Android?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

TVs Ian posted:

On PC, you can just delete the config file and it’ll regenerate with the defaults next time you start it up. Can you access it in the file system on Android?

Maybe! I’ll try that

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

RandomFerret posted:

Depending on what SNES games you want to play, you might want to look into the Retro Mini. Cheap, well-built, and it uses the OEM game boy micro screen so GBA games display perfectly.

I've got one of these. As much as I'm tempted to go for the super slick stuff like the RGM350M or the Analogue Pocket, I can't bring myself to pull the trigger bc the Retro Mini already does exactly what I want it to do: fit snugly into my pocket, play GBA games on a nice screen when I have downtime, and not make me feel bad if it gets tossed around by life forces because hey, it's 30 bucks. Who gives a poo poo. Sometimes I just wanna play Metroid/WarioWare/AW2/Castlevania and not worry about stuff for a little while.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
lol WELP I bricked my RP2. I somehow made the physical buttons not work on startup so I tried the reflashing tool and img recommended by Retroid, which crashed halfway through and now it’s black screen only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Kinda makes me glad I'm sticking with the RG350 for the time being, if you brick that one all you have to do is flash the firmware onto a new micro SD card and slide it in(well since mine is an original model I have to take it apart to access the internal port but still pretty easy overall)