Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh you lost (device)? Well that's completely obsolete now that (other device) has been announced anyway

I got my RGB10MAX3 and it's decent? I don't have much to compare it to and I've mostly been playing nes games so far so I haven't really tested it extensively. I will say that the d-pad isn't great. The screen and formfactor are pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://x.com/RetroHandhelds/status/1773250528044011598?s=20

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

No double sticks? Sold.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Very funny that Anbernic have adopted a strategy of seeing what Miyoo gently caress up and doing it properly.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
:capitalism:

No doubt ambernic will arse up the os or sommat

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Oh of course they're still going to trip over their own dick but people aren't going to know that part until they've already bought it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

What is nice about the 35XX Plus/H/2024 is that even if you own all of them, you can just pop the microSD card out of one and stick it in the other and it works perfectly.
Good for keeping all your save games together then without some kind of sync system.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Not so sure about the Gundam V on the back

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

hatty posted:

Not so sure about the Gundam V on the back

Yeah it isn't even the Anbernic logo that came out of nowhere.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The LED logo is dumb as hell but retrododo also doesn’t get much of a rise out of me, who knows how real it even is at this point.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

I have no need for this whatsoever, but I will 100% buy it if it is priced anything like the rest of the 35xx line. The GBA SP design was the best design ever. I hate the lite up led thing though.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Substandard posted:

I have no need for this whatsoever, but I will 100% buy it if it is priced anything like the rest of the 35xx line. The GBA SP design was the best design ever. I hate the lite up led thing though.

As long as the top panel is flat it's easy to mod though. You just need to disconnect the power cable and put a black stickers on it.

I still haven't mod away the green power on led on my MM V4. It's way too bright and I hate it.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

stephenthinkpad posted:

As long as the top panel is flat it's easy to mod though. You just need to disconnect the power cable and put a black stickers on it.

I still haven't mod away the green power on led on my MM V4. It's way too bright and I hate it.

Yeah, it doesn't look flat in the video though. Hopefully it's flat if/when it gets to production.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
damnit, been waiting on the flip but now i gotta wait on the flip AND this to see which one is better

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I watch that video again, I think what the light does is tell you the machine's suspension state.

So machine on -> flip close -> machine turn itself off -> light off

You don't need to press any power button. I don't own a funkey so I don't know if that's how it work in funkey. How do you do it on SP? I don't remember, do you physically slide the power switch?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

stephenthinkpad posted:

How do you do it on SP? I don't remember, do you physically slide the power switch?

The SP didn't suspend games like the DS did, when you flipped it closed the game kept running. Some games implemented their own sleep modes but you had to activate them from a menu.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the gba sp design was neat when i was a kid with smaller hands and no risk of carpal tunnel/arthritis

now i need my handhelds big and chonky. the RG556 is basically made for me

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

The 7th Guest posted:

the gba sp design was neat when i was a kid with smaller hands and no risk of carpal tunnel/arthritis

now i need my handhelds big and chonky. the RG556 is basically made for me

I mean, yeah. Also if one of the SP-inspired devices gets good third party OS support I'll buy the ever loving poo poo out of it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

ChiTownEddie posted:

I mean, yeah. Also if one of the SP-inspired devices gets good third party OS support I'll buy the ever loving poo poo out of it.

If the Miyoo one gets Onion I would be quite pleased but I feel like that probably wont happen ebcause of the chipset differences between whatever the Flip has and the Mini/Mini+.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

ChiTownEddie posted:

If the Anbernic one has the same guts as the other 35XX devices, this bodes well for them. Russ just had a video the other day talking about how great the firmware was for them the other day.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Explosionface posted:

If the Anbernic one has the same guts as the other 35XX devices, this bodes well for them. Russ just had a video the other day talking about how great the firmware was for them the other day.
Then there's also this good news that makes it seem like they've cracked some of the chipset info needed to make the +/H/2024 firmwares work even better:
https://ko-fi.com/post/The-future-of-RG35XX-firmwares-A0A0W78YO

Still crazy how Black Seraph (the guy behind Garlic OS) basically disappeared and let his patreon keep paying him $3,600 a month to do... what exactly?
Heck, even an "I'm still here trying to get Garlic working on the Plus" every couple of weeks woulda been nice, but he hasn't posted about that since like, Christmas.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I mean if people are giving him money of their own free will, good for him.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Then there's also this good news that makes it seem like they've cracked some of the chipset info needed to make the +/H/2024 firmwares work even better:
https://ko-fi.com/post/The-future-of-RG35XX-firmwares-A0A0W78YO

Still crazy how Black Seraph (the guy behind Garlic OS) basically disappeared and let his patreon keep paying him $3,600 a month to do... what exactly?
Heck, even an "I'm still here trying to get Garlic working on the Plus" every couple of weeks woulda been nice, but he hasn't posted about that since like, Christmas.

The downside of Patreon is that subscribers are fickle; the upside is that you never actually owe anyone anything.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tiny Timbs posted:

The downside of Patreon is that subscribers are fickle; the upside is that you never actually owe anyone anything.
I wonder if he's partaking in any Goldbelly $100 cookie orders like Lowtax when he was getting $15,000 a month.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3VroWBMefE

"Pointless"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
He's not wrong.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just started tinkering with the Pico-8 on my Miyoo Mini. Already bought the license, any suggestions for some fun quick games?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There's probably tons of lists, collections, and resources out there, but I just like to boot up Splore and refresh the various lists. The "Featured" one is usually a great place to start. Only issue is you don't get any documentation on the games that way, so some games might not be obvious at first glance.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Silly Burrito posted:

Just started tinkering with the Pico-8 on my Miyoo Mini. Already bought the license, any suggestions for some fun quick games?

I have been enjoying these puzzle games.

I would like to know about more single screen puzzle games for the pico-8, please share if you know any.

Daddys hot grill fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 1, 2024

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Silly Burrito posted:

Kaikan and Crossgunr are cool shmups

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Thanks! I’ll check those out.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And obviously Celeste and all the spinoffs

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

flavor.flv posted:

And obviously Celeste and all the spinoffs

There appear to be a ton of those!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I bought the Anbernic RG35XX-H yesterday. I was kind of torn between that and the Powkiddy RGB30, but I figured most of the systems I'd be playing would be better with a 4x3 screen than the square aspect ratio and a batocera cfw option was a huge selling point as well.

I'm mostly looking to play a bunch of PS1 stuff on it and potentially some dreamcast / n64 /arcade stuff since I can't do as much of that on my analogue pocket. Hopefully it works out well but I'll almost certainly be buying another one of these things in 6 months.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Substandard posted:

Hopefully it works out well but I'll almost certainly be buying another one of these things in 6 months.

That's the main reason I haven't bought one yet. Got my Miyoo Mini Plus for gaming on the go, and my ROG Ally for higher-end stuff if I want. The H is tempting but might as well enjoy what I have for now and see if this year brings any other cool stuff at a good price point.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I'm just waiting to see who drops a flip device first, Anbernic or PooooowKiddy. Just give me that sweet sweet SP form factor with mid-decent performance.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You mean anbernic or miyoo. Powkiddy released theirs 3 years ago

It's not great, but if all you want is gba and a few snes and ps1 rpgs you can't do much better for $30 shipped

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Does anyone happen to have a Pandora’s Box module they are no longer interested in using?
I have a dual stick that runs a Pandora’s Box 6, but have been really wanting to upgrade it. I figure there must be someone among us who has one newer they have laying around in the garage or in a box gathering dust.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UGr42nOv54

Great video for those on the fence on getting a sub-$100 handheld but not sure which to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm setting up a RP3 for a friend, and would like to get Chiaki streaming working for him (he currently has a PS4 and has a PS5 on the way IIRC). Is Chiaki-Up the app to use?