Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CRAYON posted:

Also in the US and I just got a refund notice on the order I placed yesterday, no idea what's going on they didn't send any other communication.

I also got one. It told me I had to request a refund but I'm not able to yet, though it also said that if I refund and it arrives anyways I can keep it. Guess I'll treat it like a free lotto ticket!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Just install batocera(cool, easy) or Ubuntu (masochism mode) if you’re gonna build a retro gaming box.

If you really need windows you should be able to grab a copy of the windows 11 home installer off MS’s website. Which is free to everyone.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't think I have ever "clean install" w11. Do you use the "reset" option in setting or you buy an activation code on aliexpress?

My n100 order has a tracking number btw.

Start it up once and then you can just download the install media tool from Microsoft and it should recognise the machine's product key when you install it. If it doesn't then just buy a key from one of the people in SA Mart.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Hi thread, I have an RG505 and it’s super cool. Running GammaOS and living in the future!

My only complaint is that sleep makes it restart within a few minutes, but I can def live with that, it’s a good console.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MarcusSA posted:

AliExpress is having a sale right now and if anyone was looking for a set top emulator you really can’t bes this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805048523628.html

$85 for the 8/255 or $105 for the 16/512

It will do everything up to ps2 at 720p

https://youtu.be/DIhG9cTbYtY?si=KX2CXPrCbgiDXEXA

https://youtu.be/HPGeXF-yKqw?si=sOuh7ANYTkXRvOTR

Another store is doing the EU version of the 15/512 for $47 which seems.....more sketch?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...7Cquery_from%3A

Edit: I straight up don't have a whole lot of experience going through AliExpress, but loving lol on how blatant some of this poo poo is.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 18, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Any updates on when the SP form factor devices will finally ship

Well I ordered a 353V so I'm looking forward to the SP being announced tomorrow

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Anyone gotten Ocarina of Time working well on an rgb30? Using jelos / retroarch and the provided cores that came on the SD card.

Also, is there a known hardware fix to stop RGB30 battery and charging fuckery? I’m willing to buy new parts and solder them in as long as there’s a guide that holds my hand. I’d like to make this thing into a totally usable device because the form factor and screen are great but I have to leave it on/awake and plugged into one specific brick and cable whenever I’m not using it in order to keep it from fully discharging. It’s not really portable atm. Would also be nice to do the documented d-pad mod while I’ve got it opened up.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
From my understanding the issue the RGB30 and a bunch of other devices have with charging comes down to the chipset it uses having issues with Linux and accurately reporting battery levels, apparently it doesn't have those issues when used for Android instead

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Not a console and haven't tried it out myself yet but apparently the Delta emulator is out on the apple app store instead of having to bother with installing it through altstore

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

MarcusSA posted:

AliExpress is having a sale right now and if anyone was looking for a set top emulator you really can’t bes this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805048523628.html

$85 for the 8/255 or $105 for the 16/512

It will do everything up to ps2 at 720p

https://youtu.be/DIhG9cTbYtY?si=KX2CXPrCbgiDXEXA

https://youtu.be/HPGeXF-yKqw?si=sOuh7ANYTkXRvOTR

Heads up, this suddenly became available to me in the UK so might have changed for other countries too!

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Lamont posted:

Heads up, this suddenly became available to me in the UK so might have changed for other countries too!

Yeah it just let me order it again, lets see if this one gets cancelled like the last time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m in Los Angeles and I ordered mine on the 15th and it should be here tomorrow.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Not a console and haven't tried it out myself yet but apparently the Delta emulator is out on the apple app store instead of having to bother with installing it through altstore

How? I thought apple had a hard "no emulators" stance?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

How? I thought apple had a hard "no emulators" stance?

They just changed that this month.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Russ with a video on it

https://youtu.be/uQkodIYsb8c?si=n4xTJKGWJgDWYKZF

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Need to find a vertical controller for ds games. Most of the controller attachments I’ve seen have a minimum width length that’s too big.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

It’s fine and works nicely so far.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Rinkles posted:

Need to find a vertical controller for ds games. Most of the controller attachments I’ve seen have a minimum width length that’s too big.

How wide is your phone? This one worked for me with a Samsung fe

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0PvoSS

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I have an SE. So apparently 67mm

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lamont posted:

Only the 16/512 variant was available for me. The 8/256 was still unable to be shipped to my address. :iiam:

Which is fine because I wanted the beefier one anyway.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

AlternateNu posted:

Only the 16/512 variant was available for me. The 8/256 was still unable to be shipped to my address. :iiam:

Which is fine because I wanted the beefier one anyway.

It's how aliexpress works. The sellers put in a lower tier option so the price displayed on the search result is lower. Sometimes they put in a $5 accessory.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's how aliexpress works. The sellers put in a lower tier option so the price displayed on the search result is lower. Sometimes they put in a $5 accessory.

Oh, I'm aware. That's how it works on eBay, too (kinda...they show the full price range). I was just commenting on the fact that while both the 8GB and 16GB models are available, only the 8GB model "can't be shipped to your address".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just paid the extra $20 or whatever for the 16 with more storage so I don’t have to mess with it ever.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I’m furious that Wario Ware Twisted works seamlessly on Delta yet does not replicate the haptic rumble.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Well, I just got a tracking number for the T8 I ordered. I guess this is actually happening. :shrug:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RP4P is out for delivery, a blessed day indeed 🙏

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

AlternateNu posted:

Well, I just got a tracking number for the T8 I ordered. I guess this is actually happening. :shrug:

same, fingers crossed!

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Does anyone have any tips for getting Drastic working on the RGB30 with Arkos?
When I load the game I just get a white screen and cannot open the Drastic menu with L3. I have tried getting the game from different sources, but always get the same result. I am guessing it may be a bios issue? But its pretty unclear how that can be resolved as Drastic is actually meant for Android.

Don't worry, I am just going to buy a DSi. lol

Daddys hot grill fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 21, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I ordered the same day as Marcus (15th), got it yesterday.

But i can't find my own europe plug adopter, the one I ordered along with the n100 is still somewhere in China lol.

It doesn't have a USBC power plug, it has a laptop type round plug (2.5A 12V)

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 21, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Early impressions of the RP4P are nothing but positive. Setup for everything was a bit of a pain but I have pretty much everything bound and daijisho rocking and man this is a nice handheld. Crazy how well it runs everything upscaled from n64 to GameCube to psp/psx. Just crushes all of it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Daddys hot grill posted:

Does anyone have any tips for getting Drastic working on the RGB30 with Arkos?
When I load the game I just get a white screen and cannot open the Drastic menu with L3. I have tried getting the game from different sources, but always get the same result. I am guessing it may be a bios issue? But its pretty unclear how that can be resolved as Drastic is actually meant for Android.

Don't worry, I am just going to buy a DSi. lol

The dsi xl is Nintendo’s best handheld. Those screens :kiss:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Honestly, the DS line is such a unique handheld design that I can't see really being able to emulate it properly without just straight up copying the layout and interface. Using a mouse pointer on a computer screen just doesn't work for me.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

CRAYON posted:

Yeah it just let me order it again, lets see if this one gets cancelled like the last time.

Lol my N100 order was cancelled again. No idea why the hell they won't ship this thing to me. Never had this problem with Aliexpress before.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is Daijisho not being regularly updated anymore? I noticed the achievements widget isn't working and found a bunch of people saying the same thing and that the guy's not working on it anymore so don't expect a fix, or something like that. I also noticed that there's no ratings or ways to sort the list of games differently or to show favorites on top which is kind of a bummer. It looks very nice but feels like it's missing some features compared to the ES frontend.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, the DS line is such a unique handheld design that I can't see really being able to emulate it properly without just straight up copying the layout and interface. Using a mouse pointer on a computer screen just doesn't work for me.

It'd probably also be advisable to specifically copy the specific touchscreen technology that Nintendo used rather than trying to shoehorn the currently popular touchscreen technology into the DS's functionality.

At which point I guess the best option is probably just to buy and crack an old 3DS to get all the functionality.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
That's what I did.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

explosivo posted:

Is Daijisho not being regularly updated anymore? I noticed the achievements widget isn't working and found a bunch of people saying the same thing and that the guy's not working on it anymore so don't expect a fix, or something like that. I also noticed that there's no ratings or ways to sort the list of games differently or to show favorites on top which is kind of a bummer. It looks very nice but feels like it's missing some features compared to the ES frontend.

Daijisho was abandoned some time ago, I'd suggest looking into ES-DE, though I don't think that has an achievements widget thing as yet, and it's a one-off $5-ish paid via the patreon.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zzMisc posted:

Daijisho was abandoned some time ago, I'd suggest looking into ES-DE, though I don't think that has an achievements widget thing as yet, and it's a one-off $5-ish paid via the patreon.

Huh, I had no idea. Thanks for the recommendation.

Edit: Oh yeah. Daijisho looks slick but this just feels better. Plus it has some very nice looking themes as well. Thanks again!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 21, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

It'd probably also be advisable to specifically copy the specific touchscreen technology that Nintendo used rather than trying to shoehorn the currently popular touchscreen technology into the DS's functionality.

At which point I guess the best option is probably just to buy and crack an old 3DS to get all the functionality.

This is my take. I have a 2 x DS Lites, a DSi, and an XL 3DS to run all my DS family crap off of.

But really, the LCD tech and digitizers are pretty cheap to purchase online. Someone would just have to design a motherboard with modern chipsets and ports to make it workable. Of course, that's not close to being easy. But it probably the best starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DS Lite's are also dirt loving cheap because they sold about 3 billion of them. Even 3DSes are starting to get cheap, I saw a red original model 3DS for £40 in a store last week.