Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

stephenthinkpad posted:

I ordered the same day as Marcus (15th), got it yesterday.

But i can't find my own europe plug adopter, the one I ordered along with the n100 is still somewhere in China lol.

It doesn't have a USBC power plug, it has a laptop type round plug (2.5A 12V)

This is why you want to keep all the wall warts from all the random electronics you collect over the years. You'll always need a 12V/3A barrel plug eventually. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

RGB30 havers, how is it over time? I keep circling back to wanting one for Gameboy and 8/16 bit stuff.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

shyduck posted:

RGB30 havers, how is it over time? I keep circling back to wanting one for Gameboy and 8/16 bit stuff.

Loads of people seem to have problems with charging this device. I've had two (bought a black at launch, then later a yellow one and sold the black) and not had any issues, so I still can't decide if that's unit to unit variance and I got lucky twice, or people just don't pay attention to how to charge it. I've found that sleep isn't really worth using though - maybe that's the difference with the complaints.

The d-pad false diagonals were a real problem for me, I had to replace it with an Anbernic part/membrane on both devices. Similarly some people haven't been bothered by that, so maybe they've changed parts or again that's variable, but at least it's fixable.

If you're a pixel-peeping nerd like me the screen is brilliant, especially for GB/NES/SNES with the right settings. I've been through loads of devices and this has the best scaling options of any "cheap" device - these days I've got an Odin 2 and an RGB30 and still prefer to use the RGB30 for those systems.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

shyduck posted:

I bought one immediately at launch and it's still running the same as ever. The left stick has exhibited some strange behavior, but a few adjustments to the deadzone in Retroarch seem to have solved it. It's easy to avoid battery issues if you only charge it while it's fully powered on, then unplug it and turn it off when it's done. I've played it quite a bit and am a big fan. Powkiddy is putting together a vertically oriented version with the same guts and screen, so maybe wait for that if you're into verts. At this point you should use ArkOS, because JelOS has been replaced by Rocknix and the RGB30 firmware is still in beta.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Speaking of the RGB30, for some reason Powkiddy decided to use the same screen in a vertical device, creating the RGB20SX

https://powkiddy.com/products/pre-sale-powkiddy-rgb20sx-handheld-game-console

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Beacon is the current best launcher replacement type.. Uh, launcher, seeing as es-de can't really act as one and has little support for running Android programs and such

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Personally I'm just going to wait for EmuDeck's Android version to be finished before I actually bother doing anything with my Retroid Pocket 4, seems like it'll be the least painful way of dealing with Android based devices

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I don't really mind swiping out of the launcher when I want to play some Android poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

explosivo posted:

I don't really mind swiping out of the launcher when I want to play some Android poo poo.

that's fair, I just like hitting home and getting the launcher that I'm using to launch games, if that makes sense

that being said I still swap between beacon and es-de because my brain has more issues than an anbernic chipset

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I use RESET collection and it works great. Farewell.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Android is just kind of bad for emulation stuff. All these powerful devices and the PS2 emulator is garbage compared to pcsx2.

I generally just use my android stuff for xcloud and moonlight

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The 353V arrived and... It's pretty great? Exactly as advertised

What are the standard mods I need to do? Seems like it does most everything right out of the box

Sounds like I should get it booted into Android and moonlight working on it

Is there a preferred 3D printable dock?

I was concerned about the charging situation but I have a standard 60w C-to-C Anker cable plugged into a PD Anker charger, and an apple charging cable plugged into an Anker battery thing and both charged it. My Thunderbolt 3 dock did not charge it

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Someone on Amazon is selling the black version of the Anbernic RG ARC-D (the one that looks like a Sega controller) for $70 USD.

The seller also has the other color and model variants listed for $120-$140. This is the higher spec'd of the two model variants. It seems odd and I'm not sure if it's entirely legit, but this is the cheapest I've seen it being sold anywhere by far and Amazon's return policy is relatively hassle free so I'm rolling the dice.

I should have it tonight so I'll update regarding legitimacy.

Update: it's legit

link to listing

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 29, 2024

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, the DS line is such a unique handheld design that I can't see really being able to emulate it properly without just straight up copying the layout and interface. Using a mouse pointer on a computer screen just doesn't work for me.

I didn't bother looking at anything in the DS lineup until Delta dropped on iOS and its honestly some of the best system emulation I've used. You have great touch screen function and the screen real estate is relatively well used even with a virtual controller. Some games are a bit awkward like Metroid Prime Hunter but they were kinda unwieldy to begin with. But stuff like Chinatown Wars works great, enough that I prefer the emulated DS version to the iOS port which sucks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think I’d still rather just play the PSP version

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

shyduck posted:

Someone on Amazon is selling the black version of the Anbernic RG ARC-D (the one that looks like a Sega controller) for $70 USD.

The seller also has the other color and model variants listed for $120-$140. This is the higher spec'd of the two model variants. It seems odd and I'm not sure if it's entirely legit, but this is the cheapest I've seen it being sold anywhere by far and Amazon's return policy is relatively hassle free so I'm rolling the dice.

link to listing

I have the S with CFW and I love it

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

I have the S with CFW and I love it
Which CFW are you using?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

shyduck posted:

link to listing

That is so was too hard to not just mash the buy button.
The D is the higher end version - I had to look at the comparison between the two and my impulse got the better of me. That will definitely be the "center console in the car" handheld that goes everywhere. I'm sure a $8 128gb sd card will accommodate pretty much everything you'd ever get around to playing on it.

otter fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 22, 2024

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so one of the many things on my infinite list is to figure out a way to sync saved games between my batocera install and retroid flip, particularly with my PSP saves since that is where I do most of RPGin.

so I've gotten this far:
https://wiki.batocera.org/syncthing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nutomic.syncthingandroid&hl=en_US&gl=US

I just need to figure out how to align the destinations and whatnot.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
My Firebat T8 should be here in the next couple of days, woo! Are there any good starter guides for setting one up? I don't have much experience with embedded PCs beyond setting up RetroPie on a Pi 3 once, but am fairly tech-savvy so can probably figure poo poo out.

Should I be looking to wipe the stock Windows OS and install Linux? Anything else that needs to be done to get rid of any potential malware etc?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What is your goal with the system?

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

mariooncrack posted:

What is your goal with the system?

I expect I'll mostly be using it for emulators, especially MAME and N64 and things that don't run quite as well on a Pi

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Either do a full clean Windows install or just install Batocera if you're going to use it as an emulation box.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah, if you're not planning on running anything else on it, just install batocera and save yourself a headache.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I plan on installing Lakka on mine. Not as fancy but super light and can help get some extra oomph to the higher end emulators.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

shyduck posted:

Which CFW are you using?

Its retroarch, I got it from Tinker Toys in the Retrohandhelds DC. Do you want a link?

Also, is there a Legion Go/PC handheld thread anywhere here?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think most of the discussion of the Steam Deck-style portable PCs just goes in that thread.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The firebat came really fast. I'm going to set it up tonight. Btw if you want/need a different power adapter from the one it came with, the barrel connector dimensions are 5.5mm OD and 2.5mm ID.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Not sure how I feel about the snap on controller attachment thing for the RP4. It's not textured at all so it's really slippery and the handles aren't that large so I really feel like I'm gripping it weirdly to hold it. My hands got kinda crampy last night playing for a while. Still probably better than playing that long without it but I have no idea why it's so smooth lol.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.
Anyone got recs for a good retro turn-based multiplayer game that could run on a miyoo mini? My wife and I are about to have a 14 hour flight, and it'd be nice to play something together that we could pass the miyoo back and forth on. Something like Mario, where multiplayer is just two alternating single-player runs, is less appealing than something where we're working together or against each other.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Advance god drat Wars.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TadBradley posted:

Anyone got recs for a good retro turn-based multiplayer game that could run on a miyoo mini? My wife and I are about to have a 14 hour flight, and it'd be nice to play something together that we could pass the miyoo back and forth on. Something like Mario, where multiplayer is just two alternating single-player runs, is less appealing than something where we're working together or against each other.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is an old favorite of mine

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

Advance god drat Wars.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Man, I wish I could find a purple GKD. Any of you guys trying to get rid of one?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

njsykora posted:

Advance god drat Wars.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

njsykora posted:

Advance god drat Wars.

There were a couple of nights a long time ago where my friends and I were taking turns playing LOTR: The Two Towers and Kirby's Adventure and passing around Advance Wars for everyone to play at the same time. It ruled.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Pokemon Card Game Videogame comes to mind (and there's been both a fan translation of the sequel and a romhack of the original to do it with 2nd Gen cards), but a lot of that is just because I spent a while trying and failing to figure out whether you could card pop on the Miyoo. It'd probably take a long while to build up your respective decks.

Advance Wars is definitely good, I guess you would also have the option to go later to Dual Strike or Days of Ruin or go way earlier to the Super Famicom Wars or Game Boy Wars games.

Maybe Battleship for GBC?

Although really I have really no idea how multiplayer works with the Miyoo, whether it's even viable to emulate two gameboys on one miyoo at once and switch between them. If you need emulated games that natively support local multiplayer, the games I can think of are:
  • Worms (snes)
  • Worms Armageddon (PS1)
  • Mario Golf (at least the GBA one supports local multiplayer, I don't know about the others)
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • the Dokapon series (you need fan translation roms)
  • Flintstones: The Treasure of the Sierra Madrock (co-op, but not very good)

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Gonna say Worms Armageddon is real good. Pinnacle of the series, I still play it with a friend of mine before our weekly movie nights.

Edit: Do yourself a favour, make a custom ruleset and disable baseball bats and shotguns. The bat is bad design because it means the optimal action for every first turn is "find the enemy worm nearest the water and instantly kill them." The shotgun is bad design because A) it deals an extremely reliable 50 damage, putting it ahead of just about every other default weapon except dynamite and B) it potentially allows you to kill two enemy worms in one turn, and these two things make it almost always the best weapon on any given turn.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 24, 2024

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maybe Battleship for GBC?

I went on a weird quest last year to answer the question "What is the best Battleship video game?"
My personal favorite was Radar Mission on GB, designed by Gunpei himself. I can't say I ever tried the GBC Battleship.

I felt that Genesis Super Battleship was better than SNES. For some ungodly reason, one peg ships were allowed in SNES. NES Battleship was also solid with a cool special weapon twist.

I feel like there was another honorable mention on my list (on GB), but I don't remember at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

Edit: Do yourself a favour, make a custom ruleset and disable baseball bats and shotguns.

Do not acknowledge these bad Worms opinions, blasting someone into the water while the organ plays is one of life’s greatest joys.