Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok so I was wrong. I really thought black screen, no lights and no buttons doing anything meant bricked, but I took it apart, pulled the battery for 5 minutes and put it back together. It booted enough after that to hit a loop but the flash toolkit was able to find/flash it.

I think I’m back in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Heads up for anyone considering an RP2, your experience may vary but it has slight input lag that is game breaking for me. It's fine for games that are less twitchy, but no every NES/SNES platformer feels off. Supposedly this is a common issue across Android based portable emulators, which is surprising seeing as the community seems to be pushing more in that direction due to emulators running more efficiently on slower hardware when using Android. RP2 is set to get an update from Android 6 to Android 8 in late October, so I'm hoping that addresses the issue. My understanding is that the Linux based systems (i.e. RG350) don't have this issue, so I'll be ordering one to test that out.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

lol WELP I bricked my RP2. I somehow made the physical buttons not work on startup so I tried the reflashing tool and img recommended by Retroid, which crashed halfway through and now it’s black screen only.
That was quick

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

roobots posted:

Heads up for anyone considering an RP2, your experience may vary but it has slight input lag that is game breaking for me. It's fine for games that are less twitchy, but no every NES/SNES platformer feels off. Supposedly this is a common issue across Android based portable emulators, which is surprising seeing as the community seems to be pushing more in that direction due to emulators running more efficiently on slower hardware when using Android. RP2 is set to get an update from Android 6 to Android 8 in late October, so I'm hoping that addresses the issue. My understanding is that the Linux based systems (i.e. RG350) don't have this issue, so I'll be ordering one to test that out.

I’m getting no (noticeable) input lag now that I have Retroarch working again with the stock controller configuration. Only weird thing is Pokemon Sapphire. When I press a direction the character faces that direction and takes a split second to start walking towards it. Did the original game do that?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

I’m getting no (noticeable) input lag now that I have Retroarch working again with the stock controller configuration. Only weird thing is Pokemon Sapphire. When I press a direction the character faces that direction and takes a split second to start walking towards it. Did the original game do that?

Yeah that's just how it works. I think all the older Pokemon games are like that

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

Same, I haven't experienced any input lag across NES, SNES, ps1, genesis or n64. I'm also not good at video games, so anything small wouldn't be something I noticed

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah that's just how it works. I think all the older Pokemon games are like that

Then I think I’m officially good. At this point I’m just customizing wallpapers and trimming the fat out of my rom folders. I probably won’t break it again.

Time to play Metroid Fusion and Aria of Sorrow!

Ryguy005
Sep 5, 2005
About how days have you guys waited since ordering and paying for extra shipping to receive it?

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I got mine shipped 4px and it shipped the 10th and I got it the 17th. I'm in Seattle so it doesn't have far to go once it has crossed the ocean.

I gotta admit I'm not loving the d-pad. Partly the lower placement feels awkward. I've only tried the AM2R that is on it and the d-pad feels stiff and the analog stick I can't just look up. As much as I try it is always running pointing diagonally up. I wish it was flat not concave. Hopefully it feels better with other games but so far it's a little disappointing.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 21, 2020

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ryguy005 posted:

About how days have you guys waited since ordering and paying for extra shipping to receive it?

Ordered 16bit Aug 21 and upgraded to DHL the 22nd.

DHL tracking number sent on the 11th then out for delivery on the 14th (actually delivered the 15th, but I think that's my local DHL's doing)

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

This talk about input lag and a bad dpad has talked me out of the RP2, I was willing to overlook the pad's placement despite my skepticism but the combo of stiffness and unresponsiveness is a dealbreaker. Which is a shame because the UI and feature set seem really nice.

Guess I'll wait and see until more people have posted their impressions of the RG351P.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Is there anything that fulfils all of the following:

a) good dpad placement
b) quality pad/buttons
c) linux based and/or no input lag
d) 640x480
e) good PS1 support

Or is this like a "pick three" type situation right now?

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Pretty good posted:

a) good dpad placement
b) quality pad/buttons
d) 640x480
e) good PS1 support

Based on what I'm seeing it's a "pick three" at the moment. People really hoped that the RG351P would knock it out of the park but the screen resolution is low. My guess is we might see a higher screen resolution with the (assumed) RG351M as they did with the RG350P vs M series. PS1 support is good to go on the RG351P but N64, Dreamcast and PSP support seems dicey. I'm definitely in the same boat though. The RP2 is really great but between the input lag and the rattling dpad, I'll probably end up selling it.

roobots fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 22, 2020

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah a hacked PSP slim/go will get you everything on that list except point c (nice form factor too), the batteries will be your downfall though

edit: I guess that doesn't really fit in with the third party theme of the thread, sorry
:frogdunce:

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 22, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Now that I have it properly running, the only downside in that list I’m hitting is placement.

At the moment I’m catching up on ~2 decades of Pokémon so using the stick isn’t an issue. I legit cannot pick up any input delay though, specifically in ps1 games. I’m already at the 5th level in Parappa.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Honestly I was going to post this exact same thread, and the title was going to be "Handheld Emulation Consoles: just buy a psp you lunatic"

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Counterpoint: playstation vita means life.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Bogart posted:

Counterpoint: playstation vita means life.

Also the Vita Dpad is hands down one of the nicest I've ever used. It's very clicky and precise.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Just curious: does anyone have a DragonBox Pyra reserved? I've been following that project for years and it actually seems close to completion now. It's not really within my budget but I don't see too many minicomputers like it these days.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah a hacked PSP slim/go will get you everything on that list except point c (nice form factor too), the batteries will be your downfall though

edit: I guess that doesn't really fit in with the third party theme of the thread, sorry
:frogdunce:

Ehh, I feel like this thread is low traffic enough that PSP chat could fit in here.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Rolo posted:

Now that I have it properly running, the only downside in that list I’m hitting is placement.

At the moment I’m catching up on ~2 decades of Pokémon so using the stick isn’t an issue. I legit cannot pick up any input delay though, specifically in ps1 games. I’m already at the 5th level in Parappa.

I need to test out some PS1 games, but if I recall correctly more modern consoles are less sensitive to input lag than old ones like the NES/SNES. Maybe somewhere along the line I messed something up, but testing any 2D Mario game or Mega Man game there's always about a 2 frame lag that makes precision platforming a real headache.

Also yeah if you can get your hands on a PS Vita, those things are perfect little emulation machines.

roobots fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 22, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Slimy Hog posted:

Ehh, I feel like this thread is low traffic enough that PSP chat could fit in here.

Yeah totally. I made the thread for all that jazz, just couldn’t think of a better title.

Edit: updated the bottom of the OP to reflect it.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 22, 2020

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Pretty good posted:

a) good dpad placement
b) quality pad/buttons
d) 640x480
e) good PS1 support

The RG350M hits all of those, with the exception of a couple particularly difficult PS1 games (Bloody Roar 2, for example).

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The M has the bad dpad position problem though.

Just let me have a P with the same screen as they used in the M jeez!!!!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Pretty good posted:

The M has the bad dpad position problem though.

Just let me have a P with the same screen as they used in the M jeez!!!!

:confused:

The M has the same dpad position as the P. Only the original RG350 had the flipped orientation.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Just got an RG350P in today for testing and immediately I like it more than the RP2 for 2D games. The UI is incredibly fast, no input lag, and easy setup and swapping between emulators. The D-pad placement and quality feel much better as well. This is definitely making me lean towards an RG351 as my main portable handheld, I’ll just have to accept that some N64 and Dreamcast gaming will be out of my reach.

That said, if the input lag isn’t noticeable to you and you’re looking for more reliable N64 and Dreamcast emulation the RP2 is the cheaper, stronger option. Running on Android it will probably receive more aggressive updates as well.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The RG350P/M really are fantastic devices. Yeah, they're a little slow by comparison to the newest things out there, but what they can run they run very well, and the quality of the buttons and overall construction is more important than I think some people give it credit for.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

I reached out to Retro Dodo regarding early 351P experiences with PSP/N64/DC performance being all over the place and got this interesting response. Also, Anbernic now has a store up on eBay where you can buy replacement parts including the RG350M screen for $30. Supposedly it's a fairly easy swap on the RG350P, so if the RG351P is the same it might be a way to check off all your boxes without waiting for an RG351M release.

I also reached out to Anbernic support via eBay to see if the installation process for the RG350M screen should be as easy on the 351P as it is on the 350P. I'll update once I hear from them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

roobots fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 23, 2020

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

sethsez posted:

:confused:

The M has the same dpad position as the P. Only the original RG350 had the flipped orientation.
Brain fart, guess I was thinking of the 350.

Feeling increasingly tempted by one of these three despite their respective shortcomings ugghhh.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Pretty good posted:

Brain fart, guess I was thinking of the 350.

Feeling increasingly tempted by one of these three despite their respective shortcomings ugghhh.

The only real drawback for the RG350M is the price for how powerful it is. It'll run everything up to PSOne just fine, but that's its absolute limit, and a few games like Yoshi's Island and Tekken 3 still challenge it. The P is cheaper and has the same button layout of the M, but the screen is lower resolution (you CAN do an aftermarket replacement if you really want to, but at that point you might as well just get the M from the beginning). The original RG350 is kind of pointless at this point IMO, and only makes sense to get if you find an incredible deal on it and are willing to put up with the dpad positioning.

The 351p is looking... iffy. I've seen reports of input lag and general bugginess, and the screen is basically only good for GBA emulation.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah I was waiting for the 351P but it seems a little janky. I might just spring for the 350P because I doubt I'll really play anything more advanced than PS1 on it anyway. I don't mind the lower res screen because the vast majority of PS1-and-below games run at 240p

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

sethsez posted:

The only real drawback for the RG350M is the price for how powerful it is. It'll run everything up to PSOne just fine, but that's its absolute limit, and a few games like Yoshi's Island and Tekken 3 still challenge it. The P is cheaper and has the same button layout of the M, but the screen is lower resolution (you CAN do an aftermarket replacement if you really want to, but at that point you might as well just get the M from the beginning). The original RG350 is kind of pointless at this point IMO, and only makes sense to get if you find an incredible deal on it and are willing to put up with the dpad positioning.

The 351p is looking... iffy. I've seen reports of input lag and general bugginess, and the screen is basically only good for GBA emulation.
Oh yeah the old 350 isn't in the running at all, it's between the 350P and M (and maaaaybe the 351P) for me. I've seen chatter about the lower res being bearable for PS1 etc if you toggle some bilinear filtering option for making scaling less nasty but without a detailed photo/video comparison between the two displays – which I haven't been able to find – I still don't feel comfortable making a decision. I can't imagine Chrono Cross with its high res mode menus not looking at least slightly messed up...

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Jesus my Retroid Pocket 2 left China on Tuesday and just got delivered via DHL, New Hampshire.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah it’s wild, mine showed up to the states in 2 days. I didn’t even get the shipping email from GoRetroid until a week after that.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Even I have to admit this Retroid Pocket 2 is not the easiest. I'm obv familiar with the Android side of things, but how do I load roms onto the RetroidOS side? It seems like the 30GB of roms they give you show up as just a bunch of encrypted files. Do I drop them in the games/download folder? I'm assuming the storage needs to live as external?

Ryguy005
Sep 5, 2005
I still haven't gotten mine, I paid for extra shipping just a little disappointed if the button lag is true.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

Even I have to admit this Retroid Pocket 2 is not the easiest. I'm obv familiar with the Android side of things, but how do I load roms onto the RetroidOS side? It seems like the 30GB of roms they give you show up as just a bunch of encrypted files. Do I drop them in the games/download folder? I'm assuming the storage needs to live as external?

I don't use the retroid os side, but this should help:
https://wiki.retroidhandhelds.com/index.php?title=Getting_Started

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

OK thanks. I'm committing to the Android side but my co worker bought one who's not very tech friendly, so gonna try the RetroidOS side for them. Retroarch seems decent but N64 doesn't run at all in it on the RP2.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I was really tempted to sell my SNES and get one of these because I'm trying to downsize for a move, but these QA issues have me worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I was really tempted to sell my SNES and get one of these because I'm trying to downsize for a move, but these QA issues have me worried.

I have no input lag and everything except N64 was working out of the box. My flashing issue was because I

-Messed it up my dumb self
-Flashed it with a USB port on a brand new motherboard that is giving me issues with lots of stuff.