Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've got the urges and I think i want an RP4 Pro. Can I just log into Google play on that and download my android games? Or would I have to sideload apks on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It has proper Play support. Some games might be blacklisted from the chipset but I haven't seen any myself

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Awesome, thanks! That might be what seals the deal for me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

explosivo posted:

I've got the urges and I think i want an RP4 Pro. Can I just log into Google play on that and download my android games? Or would I have to sideload apks on there?

Yeah I’ve been playing megaman x dive mission this way. The controller mapping thing is really useful

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I ordered it tonight. Can't wait to get my mitts on this thing.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

explosivo posted:

I ordered it tonight. Can't wait to get my mitts on this thing.

That seems like quite a handicap; you might have an easier time gaming if you take the mitts off.

obvious dumb joke aside, for those of you in here with one of the ARM linux machines, if you haven't checked out Portmaster lately you really should check back. The application itself got a complete revamp some months ago, and they've been dropping new games daily, including some significant commercial stuff that you need the data files for; for example April 3 brought Forager, and April 4 brought Blossom Tales II (I still haven't played the first one!).

What a marvelous time to be alive.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dear Strong Bad, how do you retro game with boxing gloves on

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I feel like spending on something that will languish in a corner forever

If I'm looking for something tiny, but with rubber buttons, what should I be looking at? I got a model s a while back which has the perfect form factor, but the clicky buttons limit the situations in which it can be used.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

kirbysuperstar posted:

Dear Strong Bad, how do you retro game with boxing gloves on

something like this I imagine

https://youtu.be/udl7A1mWEg0?feature=shared

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Having problems getting Saturn games to work on a RP3, I have the bios in the right place but RetroArch (in both beetleSaturn and Yaba Sanshiro cores) says "Failed to load content" and the standalone (free) Yaba Sanshiro 2 Android app just gives me their "Buy the full app now" ad that it does when you start the app.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The yaba core hates CHDs for whatever reason and just goes to the CD player, while beetle is fine with them but runs entirely on the CPU I think

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Should've mentioned the games are in bin/cue format.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Commander Keene posted:

Having problems getting Saturn games to work on a RP3, I have the bios in the right place but RetroArch (in both beetleSaturn and Yaba Sanshiro cores) says "Failed to load content" and the standalone (free) Yaba Sanshiro 2 Android app just gives me their "Buy the full app now" ad that it does when you start the app.

Some .bin/.cue file dumps for Saturn games have extraneous file pathways in the .cue file. Open them up in notepad and make sure the first line is just:
code:
FILE "gamename.bin" BINARY
And doesn't have any "c:/..." whatever junk in it.

Also, confirm that the bios is ACTUALLY in the right place and that Retroarch is pointing to the right subfile. I was just working this problem over the last couple days, myself, on my RG405M, and when you look through an Android device's files in Windows Explorer, you're not actually matching up pathways. If you go into RetroArch's Settings -> Directory, I believe the base pathway for the BIOS files is someting like
code:
/storage/emulated/0/RetroArch/system
which conforms to
code:
This PC\Pixel 3a\Internal shared storage\RetroArch\system
in Windows Explorer.

If that doesn't work, either the core you're using is looking for more than just "saturn_bios.bin" in the bios folder, or the game dumps are just corrupted. You can try dumping all the files from the proper core found here https://archive.org/details/RetroarchSystemFiles into the bios folder and see if they work.

I was massively disappointed to learn that at least for the 405M, Saturn emulation is pretty much garbage regardless of the core you use. Even when put into maximum performance mode. I'm still trying to figure out how to get things to run smother if its even possible off an Android device.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I manually changed the path to a directory I created for the purposes of holding bios files for all of the emulators I'm installing, so yes I'm certain they're in the right place. And the bin/cue dumps work just fine in BizHawk on my Windows PC, so it seems unlikely that it would be a problem with the dumps.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Very odd! Can you boot the core with no disc and get the BIOS to come up? What video driver is it set to?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So Miyoo announce a horizontal 2.8" thing called A30 which I doubt many people are asking for, and like clockwork Anbernic copied it and will release it a few weeks before Miyoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EvxugK5k2g&t=2s

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I sold my 353M to a friend in anticipation of the RP4P and it felt like passing off the cursed monkey paw. "You'll get the urge to upgrade soon enough, you'll see!!"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Commander Keene posted:

I manually changed the path to a directory I created for the purposes of holding bios files for all of the emulators I'm installing, so yes I'm certain they're in the right place. And the bin/cue dumps work just fine in BizHawk on my Windows PC, so it seems unlikely that it would be a problem with the dumps.

What are the bios files you're using for Saturn? There are some that are more than just saturn_bios.bin or sega_101.bin. It's possible you might need some of the "optional" bios files depending on the core like the epr-XXXXX.ic8, and mpr-XXXXX.bin/.ic1 files.

I ended up dumping all of them into my folder before it started loading .chd and some .bin/.cue pairs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Got Saturn working - uninstalling the version of Retroarch that was on there and installing a version off the Play Store seems to have fixed the problem. Now I'm having the problem that Daijisho isn't recognizing Retroarch cores and won't launch any games through Retroarch.

God drat I hate Retroarch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Commander Keene posted:

Should be a thread title tbh.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

the play store and standalone apks have different activity names so you have to edit that for the 'console' in daijisho

I think it's the one in the list (lol at scrolling the entire thing why is daijisho like this) that's just 'retroarch' as opposed to 'retroarch32' or 'retroarch64'

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Commander Keene posted:

Got Saturn working - uninstalling the version of Retroarch that was on there and installing a version off the Play Store seems to have fixed the problem. Now I'm having the problem that Daijisho isn't recognizing Retroarch cores and won't launch any games through Retroarch.

Tbh I manually install retroarch 64bit from the website on my Odin (play store typically heavily lags behind).
That said, if you haven't you may need to go into each console setting in Daijisho and select the right core/retroarch ver manually. Mine worked great for everything but GBA (???) but when I manually set the mgpa core from retroarch64 (bc that's what I installed, see above for play store) it was fine.

E: beaten, thanks phone typing :p

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Commander Keene posted:

Same, one of the main reasons I like the Mister so much

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

the play store and standalone apks have different activity names so you have to edit that for the 'console' in daijisho

I think it's the one in the list (lol at scrolling the entire thing why is daijisho like this) that's just 'retroarch' as opposed to 'retroarch32' or 'retroarch64'
Thanks, this is what I was missing! I figured out that there was a dropdown to select the core, but I missed that there were separate entries for Retroarch/32/64.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OK never mind, Saturn has stopped working again and Daijisho is only recognizing some of the Retroarch cores. The standalone Yaba Sanshiro 2 app has never successfully launched a game and I'm not even sure it does anything besides nag you to pay for the Pro version, which disinclines me to actually recommend paying for it.

I'm glad I have a Miyoo Mini +, that thing was a dream to set up and didn't loving pull all this bullshit on me.

EDIT: It's looking like NES isn't working in Retroarch either. Daijisho is working with everything besides those just fine.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 11, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah I've still done basically nothing with my RP4P since getting it due to how much I loathe mucking around with everything you have to do for Android compared to any Linux based device that has a decent CFW for it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just install ReDream and play DC games. Alot of games have widescreen hack.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

spent an hour figuring out what activity/intent I had to write to an XML file for ES-DE to be able to launch melonDS-nightly and sudachi, got it going and now I'm going to go to bed without playing either system

I kind of enjoyed it though

brain good, brain healthy

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I managed to get the darn thing fully working in the end, the problems with the Saturn emulation were because despite having specifically set the drat thing manually to look in the right place for the bios it was still looking in the wrong place, and the NES stuff was because apparently I missed downloading an NES core while I was scanning down the list of cores. gently caress RetroArch, it sucks rear end.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I've still done basically nothing with my RP4P since getting it due to how much I loathe mucking around with everything you have to do for Android compared to any Linux based device that has a decent CFW for it
I was working on that RP3 for a buddy who's considerably less tech-savvy and also doesn't own a PC to download and transfer files, so it isn't even my device; I use a Miyoo Mini + for lightweight stuff and a Steam Deck for anything that requires enough oomph to matter.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

I sold my 353M to a friend in anticipation of the RP4P and it felt like passing off the cursed monkey paw. "You'll get the urge to upgrade soon enough, you'll see!!"

Lol turns out my friend may not share the same brainworms as I because he's really struggling with the setup of this thing. I offered to just set it up for him if he gives me the SD cards but has not come to that yet. Guides are pretty straightforward and he's a smart dude so :shrug:

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent case for the Odin 2? For whatever reason I completely blanked on buying one along with the device and I really don’t want to drop the shipping to order one separately.

It’s got basically the same proportions as a Switch, so I keep thinking I could buy any old random Switch case and it would work well enough… but it is significantly thicker thanks to the grips, so I’m worried about buying something designed to fit the Switch like a glove and it not being big enough (as, indeed, my current Switch case wasn’t when I tested it). Does anyone have something they know will fit it that they can point me to?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I use a soft neoprene case (Switch) for my Odin 1.

BTW the Switch Lite tempered glass protector works for Odin. Yeah the lite version not the regular switch.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 11, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just order the one made for it off AliExpress

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I absolutely don’t need it, but I ordered an anbernic rg556. I have a vacation coming up in 5 months and I need to be ready!
…god I hope my son is interested in gaming when he is a bit older. He will have access to a lot of cool devices.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

I use a soft neoprene case (Switch) for my Odin 1.

The 2 is quite a bit thicker than the 1 - I could get by with regular Switch cases for my first Odin but the 2 doesn’t fit. Unfortunately I can’t help OP because I ordered the case with my 2, but it’s a great fit if you can order it from Ali and save AYN’s postage.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Can the RG35XX H play most PS1 games? Or is there something else more powerful in that style?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

err posted:

Can the RG35XX H play most PS1 games? Or is there something else more powerful in that style?

It's perfect for that. At that price point it can't be beat, and the size is perfect for keeping around in a pocket or car.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Any updates on when the SP form factor devices will finally ship

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Hadlock posted:

Any updates on when the SP form factor devices will finally ship

Probably a week after everyone loses interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Explosionface posted:

Probably a week after everyone loses interest.

I really want one but I'm be ready to buy a steam deck in like a month at which point I won't need that anymore