Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
For those with a hacked Vita playing psp & Ps1 games, it sounds like it uses vita specific emulation. Does it have the save state support that other emulators have? I've seen snes support get called out as poor, is it the same for gba? Thanks all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I put in an order for an RG351P a week ago and nothing is moving on the tracking in AliExpress, it's not even listed as being picked up by the shipping company. I messaged the seller, I assume that's my only option right now. Hope this thing shows up I want to be playing fun old GBA games!

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Well my 351p on Aliexpress didn't happen, I didn't pay attention to the sellers rating being so low and new. They never shipped anything but I got a full refund. I went to the official powkiddy site and ordered a Rgb10 max 2 instead. Stacked shoulder buttons are just natural.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I've been using my RGB10 Max 2 for a while and it's very nice with the RetroOz firmware. The only issue is PSP, it runs super poor and I can't figure out how to open the menu to try and change settings. I'm downloading Batocera to setup on a separate SD card to give it a try. This handheld is good I'll be happy if I can't run PSP games but I'd really like to play the Disgaea port on PSP. Anyway anyone already gone down this road with the Max 2 & PSP? Any tips?

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

zzMisc posted:

I think I found the problem. The rescue script attempts to copy a gamecontrollerdb.txt file that doesn't exist to /opt/ppsspp/assets/ and /opt/ppssppgo/assets/. To fix it you need to add the config to the gamecontrollerdb.txt file in these locations.

Each entry in gamecontollerdb.txt starts with a hex ID. The hex ID for Odroid Go Super, RG351MP, RGB10Max, and RGB10Max2 is 190000004b4800000011000000010000. Unfortunately since these actually have different control layouts despite having the same ID, you have to replace the gamecontrollerdb.txt depending on which device you have.

So, what you need to do is edit /opt/ppsspp/assets/gamecontrollerdb.txt (and I guess the one in ppssppgo, not sure what the difference in the versions is), make sure it doesn't already have a 190000004b4800000011000000010000 identifier, and add one of these two below:

code:
#RGB10Max2 (bottom start/back)
190000004b4800000011000000010000,GO-Super Gamepad,x:b3,a:b0,b:b1,y:b2,back:b14,guide:b12,start:b15,dpleft:b10,dpdown:b9,dpright:b11,dpup:b8,leftshoulder:b4,lefttrigger:b6,rightshoulder:b5,righttrigger:b7,leftstick:b16,rightstick:b17,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightx:a2,righty:a3,platform:Linux,

#RGB10Max2 (top start/back)
190000004b4800000011000000010000,GO-Super Gamepad,x:b3,a:b0,b:b1,y:b2,back:b12,guide:b14,start:b13,dpleft:b10,dpdown:b9,dpright:b11,dpup:b8,leftshoulder:b4,lefttrigger:b6,rightshoulder:b5,righttrigger:b7,leftstick:b16,rightstick:b17,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightx:a2,righty:a3,platform:Linux,
After that you *should* be able to use Select+X to open the menu. Or it might be Select+Y. Or the *other* select and X or Y. Just mess with it and you'll get in there somehow and can adjust the buttons accordingly.

Thanks for the config help, I appreciate it. Sadly, adding that line to the file didn't allow me to open the config in PPSSPP, I tried all combinations of start/select x/y and others.

I've got another SD Card with Batocera now. PSP is going much better on this one, though I'm still only really trying with Disgaea. I can open the menu here with Select+B. What is odd is that the analog input is inverted. When I open the PPSSPP menu and re-map, it works. But it forgets the controller mapping when the emulator closes. Another interesting thing is that on Batocera the gamecontrollerdb.txt file has only one entry that is the same data as yours just in a different order, so it's strange that it doesn't work in RetroOZ.

With the better PSP performance & the other systems seem to work just as well, so I'll stick with Batocera for now. In PSP and DS games I have to use the hardware L2/R2 buttons for L/R in game, and a few other odd things, but otherwise this should keep me gaming for now. Also it has a nice thing where if I've got save states on the game I can load directly from that instead of having to open the game then input to load a state, so that's nice.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Indeed it's the 10 Max 2. I've found that if I use PPSSPP to make a game specific config then it remembers the changed controls. I'll try to write up a bug report on their GitHub when I can. Thanks all.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Which of the cool handhelds is the fastest to boot up & get into a game? I'm enjoying my RGB10 Max 2 a lot, but I want instant gratification when it comes to retro games haha. Hows the boot up time for a hacked psp/ds/vita?

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

CFox posted:

Since I've got time to kill here's my boot up from power off for everything I have handy.

Hacked 2DSXL with a medium/small amount of games: 9 seconds
351v with latest AmberElec: 19 seconds
RGB10 Max with EmuElec: 24 seconds
RG552 with JELOS: 11 seconds

For the retro handhelds I've got fairly small curated collections, no more than 200 games tops. Out of those I'd only trust using the sleep mode on the 2DS XL.

Thanks for the timings. To add my own, RGB10 Max 2 with firmware Batocera v33: 43 seconds to boot to the menu, then about 10 more to start a GBA game. :corsair:

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

MarcusSA posted:

If anyone wanted a controller for their phone

This is a pretty good deal imo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115106987379

Same seller has the android version for $30 if that’s your thing.

Nice, I'm in for an android one, thanks for the share

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
My RGB10 Max 2 has a USB-C port marked as "OTG". Any interesting accessories that can go in this? I guess I can plug a usb thumb drive in here, but I don't see an interface for moving files around on the device.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I am sad, I dropped my RGB10 Max 2 and the screen has gone fuzzy. I enjoyed it's wifi and big screen compared to my RG35XX. I'll keep gaming on the that and go back to using the telescoping controller on my android phone for other games.

An android phone with a controller feels like it should be the ultimate solution. Yet, It drains the battery, notifications interrupt gaming, and it's awkward to take off & put back on the case every time. Plus these devices just feel pretty cool. I think I'll save up for an AYN Odin.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I miss my RGB 10 Max 2 which died a while back. Was thinking of the RG505 after the recent re-review video which pointed out that it's on discount these days. Anyone have one and can say if it's easy to pair bluetooth headphones? Anyone running the GammaOS on their 505?

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I've had a Powkiddy X-55 for about a week and have to return it. It is comfortable to hold, and the screen is big, but the left analog is bad and messes up inputs on games. It either doesn't send "right" input or it constantly sends it when I'm not holding the stick. I think I'll just refund and use a usb controllers on my phone for emulation from now on. I don't like the hassle of putting on the controller but for how often I game I think it'll be OK, and I can get PS2 going easily on it as well. I hope the refund with Powkiddy is smooth, they don't let you type in a reason, just upload photos. I did an animated gif hope they figure out what I mean when I marked the reason as "Faulty".

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

drrockso20 posted:

I'd suggest getting another device rather than using your phone

Yeah, these things are hard to quit. I think l will just bide my time until Odin 2 comes out :coolslime:

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Na it doesn't ship until next month, I'm not calling it released yet, can't just assume these companies will release when they say they will.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
A month since I submitted my refund request to Powkiddy and nothing. Emailed 'em twice this week. Please take back this bad handheld so I can get a good handheld :smith:

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Of the handheld systems that run Linux, what is the top of the line one these days?

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

Webbeh posted:

Looking to jump into the mobile retro console space - is this a good cheap starting point for N64 and back?

https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1754953192713146741

About half of N64 is playable from the review by the tweet author, earlier systems should be good.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
When there is an issue with a retro handheld, this is how it went for me.
  • October 27 2023, I buy the X-55 from powkiddy.com
  • November 16 2023, I put in for a refund, the left analog stick will send inputs when I'm not touching it
  • December 15 2023, powkiddy 1st responds to the refund request. I can pay to ship it to China and they will repay my shipping when it arrives.
  • Negotiate for a bit on it, they agree to mail me replacement parts instead. I don't trust them to repay the shipping.
  • February 1, 2024, the part arrives. Before opening the device I see it has an OS update. After the update, the analog stick works fine, I never have to open it up.
A few days later I give it to my nephew, as I've already ordered a Retroid Pocket 4 Pro when that became available. I hope the RP4 has no issues, I hate dealing with companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Daijisho doesn't have a favorites list? I can mark a game as a favorite but how do I go see them all?