Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

RandomFerret posted:

Depending on what SNES games you want to play, you might want to look into the Retro Mini. Cheap, well-built, and it uses the OEM game boy micro screen so GBA games display perfectly.

I've got one of these. As much as I'm tempted to go for the super slick stuff like the RGM350M or the Analogue Pocket, I can't bring myself to pull the trigger bc the Retro Mini already does exactly what I want it to do: fit snugly into my pocket, play GBA games on a nice screen when I have downtime, and not make me feel bad if it gets tossed around by life forces because hey, it's 30 bucks. Who gives a poo poo. Sometimes I just wanna play Metroid/WarioWare/AW2/Castlevania and not worry about stuff for a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah a hacked PSP slim/go will get you everything on that list except point c (nice form factor too), the batteries will be your downfall though

edit: I guess that doesn't really fit in with the third party theme of the thread, sorry
:frogdunce:

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 22, 2020

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just curious: does anyone have a DragonBox Pyra reserved? I've been following that project for years and it actually seems close to completion now. It's not really within my budget but I don't see too many minicomputers like it these days.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wish I knew soldering or electronics or something well enough to jerry rig my own PSP batteries bc the third party ones are the absolute worst and they don't even make OEM ones anymore. If I could just swap out the battery once in a while and get it to last for more than 2 hours I'd pretty much be set for another 10-20 years of pocket emulation.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

The United States posted:

It's also very expensive with extremely expensive proprietary memory cards.

Good news! You can buy a special memory adapter called SD2Vita that works perfectly with microSD cards! I agree with mostly everything else you said.

I love love love my Vita and now that it's easy to hack I don't see myself getting another retro handheld for a long time but it's not the end all be all and it can't do everything.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
tag yourself i'm

oh poo poo I didnt even realize it was wearing a chain until I zoomed in

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

MarcusSA posted:

There is a new gameboy micro (that also plays ps1 games)

https://youtu.be/kuXmCcR2arY

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Man I'm jealous of those Micros, loved the form factor on them. I'd totally jump on the FunKey S (that hinge makes me drool) but a little while back I sprang for a Vita and swore to stop seeking out the PERFECT RETRO HANDHELD. Kinda funny I spent so much on the thing and I just keep going back to Aria of Sorrow

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Remote play would be fuckin sweet too. I'm picturing the Vita/PS4 remote play but with a master unit you can scale up

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Blast from the past: the Pyra handhelds have started shipping

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Get yourself a Bop It and save $170 man

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
cant wait to see what the indie developers come up with for this thing

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Declan MacManus posted:

i’d rather die than not be able to play ape escape

Jeffrey Epstein's last words

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wamdoodle posted:

Better yet do this and try and forget about it. It will be like a little gift from your past self

Note: If you get too good at this, life becomes a neverending series of surprises both pleasant and otherwise

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pro click, didn't know about the poop thing

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I love my Vita but would be nice to have it hover slightly above my hand

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's an interesting comparison. The main reason I love the Micro is pocketability. I know it's subjective but seems like a lot of handhelds these days hang out smack dab in carrying case territory.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Disappointing Pie posted:

Also what are some of your favorite games to play on these devices you can pick up and play for shortish bursts?

I like the Advance Wars and Fire Emblem games for short bursts bc they have quicksave, the gameplay loop is always the same, and you can ascertain the battlefield at a glance. You never have to remember where you left off or catch up on dialogue.

Also a big fan of Mario Tennis (GBC) bc it's loving tennis and everyone knows how that works and you're not losing much by pausing a game. I've heard people say Mario Golf (GBC) is super chill too.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Would that thing be able to tell how many games you've played using an Everdrive etc?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's why I traded someone for a Game Boy Micro but gently caress me if those things (and decent quality replacement parts) aren't hard to find in good condition. I'm almost afraid to use it in the field too much, which totally defeats the purpose! Long term I might settle for a TrimUI.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Has anyone replaced the screen on their OLED Vita? That's the only thing that worries me long long term.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sleep mode doesn't work if you're using an Everdrive/flash cart.

Only one save state available right now.

:knope:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I can't really justify a $400 Pocket having spent $600 on a Deck but me and my beat up Micro will be cheering you all on

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Blotto_Otter posted:

it's currently limited to just one save state globally, not even per game, which is annoying

This is pretty funny/disappointing considering even the PSP Go had this feature, per game. Then again, most big portables didn't even have this (Vita, Switch) and it was a pretty loving sweet feature. I hope they figure out per-game save states soon. Also glad we're rediscovering PSP lostech.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Humongous Pear posted:

No upscaling but it’s native so you won’t have any compatibility issues. Memory cards might be the only issue, not sure if there’s an SD2Vita equivalent for PSP yet.

You mean Pro Duo adapters? Yeah you can get em for like 5 bucks at newegg

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=pro+duo+adapter

My PSP struggled real hard with 128GB and above, it took like a minute to load the Games folder

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I haven't had any GBA problems on Vita. But yeah that machine is best for people who a) like the hardware and b) want the PSX/PSP/Vita library. Ticks both my boxes so I use the thing every day.

Lately: Darkest Dungeon, P4, Helldivers (community still active amazingly), SotN, the PSP Armored Core games

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ned Stark made customer trust his top priority and look where it got him *slaps bare rear end*

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Don't forget DOOM and DOOM II on GBA lol

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well the Vita has pretty much instant sleep/wake but as others have said, it works better as a PS1/PSP/Vita platform than a general purpose emulator box. It struggled with N64 and even some SNES last time I checked.

That said, if you're a fan of that library (like I am) and you want that premium hardware experience it's one of the best handheld purchases you can make imo

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

There’s a romhack you can use as well that allows manual control of the sun level.

This is what I use and it works flawlessly. Good stuff!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ghost of Sparta was pretty darn good but yeah I think a lot of reviewers back in the day were just excited that AAA production values were being applied to beat em ups

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

otter posted:

its a 1001 OLED, baby.

Welcome to the high life lol. I only use my Vita for native/PSP/PSX but it's hands down the best platform for those I've ever used. And definitely get SD2Vita, and check out the Vitahacks reddit for all the stuff you can do (button remapping so I can play the PSP Armored Cores with 2 sticks is a revelation for example). People have made fully functional app stores and everything.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah the PSP Go was a really cool design and I'm surprised it wasn't expanded or copied more. It also had the incredibly useful save state function built in, which I haven't seen on any of the mainline handhelds since then.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
There have been goons offloading their Deck in SA Mart once a week or so too, if you wanna keep eyes on that.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
RGC was way too kind to that thing. "Diagonal dpad doesn't even register, the stick dead zones will lead to unexpected movements, handheld mode is a pain in the rear end, and many Android games are literally unplayable without button remapping which doesn't exist. But outside of these use cases it's very impressive!!! One of my favorite devices!"

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Eh I don't really see the point of a smaller Steam Deck. I doubt it'll ever fit in your pocket (unless you're a cargo jorts master) and it's hard enough seeing some things on the screen as it is.

What that thing really needs is an actually swappable battery and an OLED screen. You can go through 2-3 charge cycles a day easily, no way that stock battery will last very long.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

remigious posted:

There’s a part of me that wants to buy a vita just because I was dirt poor when they first came out and couldn’t afford one. Intellectually I understand that is a dumb reason to buy something though!

Emotionally it's the right choice though. I did the same thing and don't regret it. I have a half dozen handhelds and while the Vita isn't best in class in any category, it's still my favorite and the one I'm most likely to carry around :frog:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
As long as you disable the readonly filesystem and change the sudo password you can do basically whatever with the Deck. I've used rsync with it. Pretty sure you can finagle it to fire off a sync script using launch parameters in non-desktop mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
This thread inspired me to look up a playthrough of the Elder Scrolls Ngage game and I never thought I'd say this but I'm impressed