Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I know this thread has historically been focused around portable units (I read all 44 pages since last night).
I’ve got more of a focus on home consoles. I actually own a ton of them, but just ordered a poly mega.
Mainly I bought it so I dont need to plug in my Saturn, ps1, etc at the same time but also I like to play one older stuff with the kids so I bought the huge pack with all the adapters for nes, snes, genesis, tg16. The only thing that is kind of irking me is the lack of support for everdrive / flash cart. I read something maybe on Twitter or something in which they had said no flash carts, but then said “if it runs on real hardware it will run on poly mega”.

Does anyone her have one yet? Has anyone actually tried using an everdrive or clone in one?
My order number is under 3000, so I would expect I’ll be getting mine in the first few runs which say they will ship in 1st half 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Walla posted:

My Vita and 3DS feel too small sometimes. Anything smaller I wouldn't be able to use.

On topic, what's the best solution for Saturn emulation that's under $300? It doesn't even have to be a portable, it just needs decent emulation speed for Saturn/GameCube with the PS2 and Wii being nice bonuses.

have you looked into the xbox series s?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGAjhjp8dnI

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

GetDunked posted:

I got my 351MP in the mail. It's a gorgeous little device! I hear that 351elec doesn't work with it though? Are they in the process of developing that?

im starting to feel left out since i dont have one of these. I assume most people are buying direct vs doing the aliexpress thing?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

flavor.flv posted:

I've said it before, wicked gamer is the only one I trust because he buys the cheap ali poo poo which is all I can afford

That just reminded me that I bought a Pandora’s box 6 and lent it to my coworker almost 2 years ago. Dude still has it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I kinda want to get a vita again. I traded mine for a new 3dsxl and my kid destroyed it. I replaced it but still.
I somewhat want a pocket retroid 2, or one of these 351 devices.
I have been going through the following phases:
Oh I need a DMG01 (bought like 3, re-shelling them)
Oh I need a gbc (bought 2, need to fix)
Oh I need to swap the plastic lens for glass on my gba
Oh I need to re-shell this ds lite (sitting in my project box)
So now I’m at the point of wondering if you have a ds lite and gba flash card / ds flash card… is there a reason beyond nostalgia to play any of the other devices?

Also i decided that I hate using my switch as a handheld due to the shape of the joy cons.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Tewdrig posted:

Shining Force II.

Still top 10 games I’ve ever played. The sheer number of hours on the sega channel… again on emulators, again on Xbox 360, switch… and I’ll play through it again with my kids soon. And when my polymega shows up some time next year, shining force III.

What’s the best place to get a 351m?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Seems like we talk almost exclusively about handhelds itt, but I have a HK1 Box (aka Makeup Box) on the way that I'm going to use as a console for my living room TV setup. I had previously been using RetroPi with a Raspberry Pi 4 4gb, but this $45 Android TV box should wind up doing a better job. I've got some Xbox 360 controllers from Goodwill and one of the generic usb receivers and I'm ready to loving rock.

im curious what performance is like with this situation. I have a retropie / raspberry pi (3?) in my Arcade 1Up and almost everything works flawlessly in that as it is. Is there much advantage to moving up to a 4 or an HK1?

I think the only issues i have had are with certain emulators running MK 3 and trying to run Killer Instinct at full speed.

edit: just tried out mk3 and it runs fine. cant find killer instinct now.

otter fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 12, 2021

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I think for your setup as a dedicated arcade device there might not be much reason to upgrade, but I want console emulation and all that poo poo too. And for me, it's a $45 solution that allows me to free up a Pi 4 which can be repurposed or resold. I suppose there's an added bonus of being able to play Android games too, but I don't really do that very much.

how far can you run in terms of console emu on that thing?
PS1/2? Super curious.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

MarcusSA posted:

Makin bad choices at 2am

this is me but with a Polymega.
I keep wavering between cancelling it an ordering more accessories.
I already bought the MD flash cart deal and one for TG-16 games.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Blotto_Otter posted:

Analogue just announced that they’re opening up preorders again for the Pocket on Tuesday, with a $19 price hike. (Monday is when they’re supposed to start shipping out the first round of preorders, so, uh, we’ll see how that goes)

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1469336147922989061

Someone stop me from spending $300

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I said stop me from spending $300, not get my debit card out.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

yeah i just watched MVG's review of the analogue pocket and you can't stop me from spending $300 $400. I need a dock now too.

otter fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 13, 2021

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

so i was in at 8am to preorder. took until 808.
spent $400 on the pocket, the dock, the case, and the game gear adapter.
See ya in 2023, $400 magic unit...

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Chemmy posted:

I placed an order for a dock only and I’m in the 101,000s. I was there at 8:00.

There are confirmed orders in the 85,000s, so it looks like they sold quite a few items today.

104xxx here.
i know im spoiled by amazon but $$2 shipping felt insulting.

Does anyone know if they are going to charge the card before it ships?
Polymega did that. I am not a huge fan of companies who take your money, make interest off it and then don't send you poo poo until a year later.
still not cancelling either order.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Chemmy posted:

Re-read your email? The original August orders are in the 45,000 - 55,000 range, and everyone on Reddit is in the 85,000 - 115,000 range right now.

this actually makes me feel better.
I was thinking i was behind 104,000 other people for today.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Blotto_Otter posted:

I placed an order for a dock and Game Gear adapter only, but I farted around with my credit card for a bit and wound up with a 112xxx order. I wonder if accessory-only orders are going to move any more quickly or if those will drag out until 2023 as well.

(For comparison, my Aug 2020 white Pocket order was #47xxx, got a tracking number late last night.)
Boo, you whore. I'm jealous.
Their cart system is frankly less than fabulous. The reason it took me so long to get the whole thing is while I was adding items to the cart it kept saying "your cart is empty" and I had to fully refresh the whole page before it would let me add in for real. Oh well. It's still cheap compared to the stupid stereo/climate control/backup camera display/navigation/sno-cone maker in my car I have to replace.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Beard Yawn posted:

Got my Pocket today, have spent all afternoon playing Pokémon Fool’s Gold. Feeling like I’m 12 again, it rules.

#1 send it to me.
#2 is it everything it is made out to be?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Analogue tweeted out that fulfillment group updates are going on on Monday. "Almost all" orders from the 14th are groups A and B.

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1471949537774342146?t=CWkDfeJo77fkABzHb98l5Q&s=19.

didn't see that one coming.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

we shall see on Monday.
I am super curious which numbers are Q1 and which are Q4 2022.
I am super eager to play on it but I also just bought 2 more gameboy colors this last week. (gotta catch em all)

edit: my order is probably the first one of group c.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I got a N3dsxl this summer for like $169 with several games from gamestop. You’d never be able to tell it wasn’t brand new if it didn’t come in the gamestop box. Mileage varies obviously

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I picked up a used N2DSXL from Mercari and then like two days later they went back in stock on Nintendo’s refurb store. I got a good deal so I wasn’t too mad but still

I haven’t bought anything on Mercari yet. People on offerup seem shady af though

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I got Group B'd.
So I get to wait a year. Oh well. Maybe I will forget about it.
I might just take this opportunity to play through some other stuff and leave my portable games for next year.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

is the wiiu virtual console store still functional?
I have "finally playing Chrono Trigger and Earthbound" on my new years resolutions list this year.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

i think it took me about 20 minutes but that was because the battery died in the control pad.

i have a spare wiiu too if anyone needs one. i have it in the game swap thread

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

has anyone had an x20 mini?
I am considering getting one to play through a few SNES and gameboy games.
Whatever I pick up will eventually be given to my kids when my analogue pocket shows up.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Do any goons have a Polymega in hand? I have a couple of questions.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I read a reddit thread asking about when people's Polymegas are expected to arrive and they were using some logic by which the company said something around "people who order now will get theirs in the 2nd half of 2022" :pseudo: therefore everyone who ordered before then will get theirs by June... I don't know if I buy that logic and I expect (those of us with 2021 orders) still fall into 2nd half 2022. Anyone get theirs yet? The company seems quiet lately.

otter fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 22, 2022

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Commander Keene posted:

Third Party Retro Consoles: This is gonna be a sickness huh?

iiii wasssss oncccccee a maaaaannnn.
why don't we have a cobra commander smiley/

Does anyone know if they make one of those nail polish terraces which is big enough for amiibo to sit in? That would be an idea storage / display solution.

Additional question: Has anyone had any luck finding 3rd party glass display covers for the analogue pocket? I want to have a couple of them before mine arrives.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I really want a miyoo mini too, but i have a lot of goals for this year which include playing through Earthbound (I'm about 2 hours in), finishing Link's Awakening (4th dungeon), and finally beating Borderlands 2.
My Analogue Pocket is supposed to be here Q4, so I am on the fence about the Miyoo. I was thinking about getting it to leave in the car so when I get stuck at Walgreens in the line for a literal god damned hour I have something I can do if I leave my switch at home or something. How fast does KeepRetro ship?

edit: I had previously purchased the K10 for this purpose but it was super lackluster and doesn't even have a Select button so no games such as zelda or whatnot.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Wow. In for one. Couldn’t get the coupon to work though.

I’ve never been “scammed” on AliExpress as yet but this is weird to me that I just got updated from them
Your order is confirmed
Your order is ready to go
You have a shipping update
Your order is in your country

All within an hour. Unless they somehow ended up dangerously overstocked in us shipping facilities and decided to push them out to make room for something more profitable.

otter fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 27, 2022

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

beer gas canister posted:

I spent the last few months picking these out by reading a ton of lists and posts. Off the top of my head:

NES: :words:
Gameboy: :words:
Gameboy Color: :words:
SNES: :words:
Genesis:
LIST THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE SHINING FORCE 2, TOEJAM & EARL, NOR ZOOM! AND IS THEREFORE WRONG

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

infinite99 posted:

Thanks for the input so far! I'm just looking for suggestions and hopefully just cherry picking from these lists if I see something interesting. I've played most of the games on these lists but usually bounce off after a few hours and forget about them so being reminded of them helps me pick stuff to try again!

Keep the lists coming! MAME and Neo Geo would be appreciated as well. Maybe TG-16? I never really played much TG-16 but I remember seeing ads and reviews of the games in EGM and Gamepro and they always looked super cool!

Mame: Rastan, strider
Neo Geo: baseball stars professional, any king of fighters
Turbografx: Ys Book I & II

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I dont know if this counts as 3rd party per se, but I saw a video for this thing on Tito's latest video. I'm going to order a 4 pack of them. Anyone else interested in getting one?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Right, I considered that. I’m just thinking along the lines that it appears to be a fair solution that is also reversible.
I have a gameboy player for my GameCube but I’m not sure the aspect ratio being slightly off and less sharp picture is a big enough downside. Maybe I really need to see both side by side big enough to really tell.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Valve Steam Deck posted:

If you can take the softer picture, wrong aspect ratios, and increased lag over the original gba consolizer it does sound like a good deal, at least it's much cheaper than the original. I wouldn't mind the softer picture so much but the wrong aspect ratio only would drive me nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3-hFSaVRWs

Also how the hell did they introduce extra lag? It's not emulation, it's using GBA hardware!

somebody had mentioned you can use the tv's aspect ratio function to correct it though, so i'd like to give it a shot.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Possibly... but what TV has a 3:2 aspect ratio option?

I think it's more accurately a situation of some tvs having different stretch / fill ratios.
Why doesn't the tv industry have a custom feature which allows you to set specific ratios that are odd manually?
I know it's somewhat niche but good lord you would become the favorite of gamer nerds.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

infinite99 posted:

If anybody grabbed that cheap Miyoo Mini that was posted a few days ago, I think it's likely a scam so try to remember to open a dispute with AliExpress whenever the cut off date is so you can get your refund!

I got a DHL tracking number but it's likely fake. If it ever changes I'll update the thread but I have pretty low hopes here because the store had like 0 reviews and right now most of the reviews are pretty much negative. I totally forgot to check store reviews and stuff before buying so that's definitely my bad haha.

my dhl # is also bad, but if you look internally at aliexpress it says mine is due may 8th, so i guess I will find out this week.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Now im going to be pissed if mine doesnt show up.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

drrockso20 posted:

My Miyoo Mini has arrived and man it's such a little guy

where did you order yours from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I don't suppose anyone who ordered the miyoo mini through that aliexpress deal actually had one arrive, have they?
I mean, I kinda thought it would be too good to be true. I've never had to file a dispute before with them. Am I basically going to get the shaft because they sent a recycled shipping # that says it was delivered to someone in Canada?