Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Depending on what SNES games you want to play, you might want to look into the Retro Mini. Cheap, well-built, and it uses the OEM game boy micro screen so GBA games display perfectly.

SNES games look pretty lovely natively and you're missing two buttons, but installing opendingux give you better scaling and cropping options. I played all the way through Chrono Trigger on it with no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Honestly I was going to post this exact same thread, and the title was going to be "Handheld Emulation Consoles: just buy a psp you lunatic"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Never do returns with ali sellers, always open with a full refund

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you want to play psp and psx games, you still can't do any better than just buying a used psp. It'll be cheaper, you'll get 100% guaranteed compatibility, and at this point ones that don't come already hacked are rarer than ones that do

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So I bought one of these last year:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPRu8jT

Honestly I was pretty disappointed with it, snes games were barely playable, much less psx, and the build quality is terrible. The plastic feels like something from the dollar store and the d pad sucks

But now it's much cheaper and there's some community support so I dug it out again and installed cfw and some new roms

It's not bad now. It's no rg350, but simpler games run full speed, and resident evil 2, symphony of the night and every final fantasy up to 9 are worth the price of admission on their own. If you want something that looks cool and plays a whole bunch of games you really can't beat the price.

Black levels are weird in fmvs though for some reason

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Panic Restaurant posted:

So if I’m mainly concerned with playing SNES and earlier on a handheld, is a modded PS Vita more than capable of doing so? For some reason I was under the impression that SNES emulation on it was poor and I was considering getting a New 3DS XL for that alone. But the prices on those have shot up so I started looking at the RG351 and similar.

I already have my Vita modded but RetroArch makes absolutely no sense to me, is there a good guide for morons? I got some 8-bit stuff running in PSP mode through adrenaline but that’s about all I’ve managed.

If you just want SNES and earlier, the powkiddy v90 is cheap and it makes you feel like you're in an alternate universe where Chrono Trigger got a gba port

Just make sure you install the custom firmware and pocketsnes, because the emulator it ships with fuckin sucks

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctnUAICCP98

New RG351 coming out next week with a gameboy DMG form factor and, most importantly, a wood grain finish

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Honestly the only gba emulator I know that ever got sound sync perfect was gpSP for the psp. 100%ed the original Rhythm Heaven on that, no problem

I don't know what kind of dark pacts that made or with whom, but I swear there was zero delay

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

SchnorkIes posted:

I think she spent most of her time on Gameboy Color (and GBA SP) which is why I think vertical. The 351V is delayed, right?

Give the powkiddy v90 a look. Not quite as powerful as the 351 or even the 350, but the form factor is, well, a big factor

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I like this guy because he reviews the kind of cheap aliexpress garbage that's much more in my price range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9VqHRtGnf0

Plus, who doesn't like hearing a Dutch accent

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

bowmore posted:

only one analogue stick, looks good though

What does that second stick really get you, though? Is there any must-play homebrew that uses it?

These things aren't good enough yet to play gamecube or ps2 yet, and there's only one game on ps1 that needed both sticks

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They're pretty much the same, I think the lpk might be a little bit more powerful. I wouldn't bother unless you really, really want that SP form factor

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Glass and wood paneling... This is a seriously premium device

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The 'wood' is plastic.

I don't think you're right about that... Plastic is a solid colour or sometimes it's clear, because it's made of oil

Source: google.yahoo.com

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Super Console X is the best all round emulation box right now. Powerful, cheap, plays everything up to dreamcast without fuss and you can install kodi or plex and use it as your htpc

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh, if we're including that kind of thing, then this is my collection:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I've been meaning to make a big effortpost about these things,

The 3 inch machines are made by Super Impulse

Boardwalk Arcade (WARNING: the ninja turtles pinball table is the only one of these worth getting)

Tiny Arcade (WARNING: the ninja turtles arcade is a port of the java flip phone game and it loving sucks)

Skee Ball and Rampage are made by Basic Fun as part of their Arcade Classics line, and most of them are walmart exclusive. Anything I can find on ebay or amazon is severely overpriced, if you're outside of the US you're pretty much boned. Sometimes stuff shows up at Toys R Us, but it's a crap shoot what makes it out of the states. If anybody can get ahold of that Fix-it Felix Jr. machine please PM me

The street fighter machine is actually a bootleg genesis system on a chip I got on aliexpress, and it has a bunch more roms on it including mortal kombat, streets of rage 3 and bible adventures. It's the jewel of my collection.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000290771486.html

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Man, I've wanted one of those since it was a one-off project on hackaday, but I just can't justify the price for something I would definitely lose in the washing machine

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The funkey has a ton of quality of life features that no other handheld has, but it's ultimately a novelty that you'll play for maybe an hour before putting it in a drawer and forgetting about it. It's tragic, really. Something like that should be a quick and dirty hack job with a price to match, it would get a lot more buyers

If they ever make a followup device at a more reasonable size and put that amount of love into it, it's going to be an all timer just based on the build quality alone

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

AnberPorts is running on the 350 and 351

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPaBuGwzP58

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Looks like FunKey has a competitor on the way. I hope they go with the slightly cheaper processor and put the whole thing in impulse buy territory

Of course, we all know what the ultimate micro handheld is

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

bad, no, and no

It's just the same 99999 in one famiclone chip that's in every cheap retro handheld. The only reason to get it is because it's tiny, dirt cheap and just look at it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They can't put "Super Mario Bros" on there, that would be copyright infringement

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Has anybody tried multiplayer on any of these? What's better, local or online?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Retroid Pocket 2 supports Bluetooth, because it is, in fact, a vita or an android device

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

At that price, the only thing it's competing with are those Bluetooth gamepads that clip onto your phone

The v90 really is fantastic once you get custom firmware installed, it's worth it for the snes emulator alone

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, I'd only use it for rpgs and stuff that isn't graphically intensive. I played all the way through ff7 and symphony of the night, but it could not handle Einhander :(

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Save files are stored on the internal drive, just switch sd cards and don't worry about it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I want a powkiddy v91. Just keep making that more powerful and maybe add some analogue nubs

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't need another handheld but every time I see that wood grain finish my resolve crumbles more and more

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Here is the list of ps1 games that require two analog sticks:

Ape Escape

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So there's this hack of rhythm heaven ds that replaces the touch controls with buttons, has anybody tried it on any of these devices?

https://skelux.net/showthread.php?tid=963

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The legend was that Sega built the Saturn as a primarily 2d system and bolted on the second video processor at the last minute when they saw the PlayStation for the first time and realized Sony was going to eat their lunch

It turns out that this was not true, but everybody including actual devs believed it because why the gently caress would you design a system like that on purpose

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

busalover posted:

e: also this thread would make a good fit for the retro subforum

Yes, I too only want twelve people to see this thread

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sammus posted:

If I want to plug something into my TV and play PS1, N64, and SNES games, what are my best options? Portability is of zero concern. Being able to Bluetooth a DS4 is essential though.

A PStv if you can find one, they used to go for pennies but now they're 200 bucks because they do everything a vita can, but they plug into your tv

A super console x might be a better option now, or one of those Amazon fire sticks

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I wish they made an XD with a keyboard. It seems like every update to the GPD Win takes it further away from what I want, which is a cheap device that I can play roms on and occasionally use for business

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tons of stuff can play dreamcast, but you need a lot of power to emulate Saturn because the original hardware is so weird

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh, cool, the worst controller layout anybody's ever made

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Weedle posted:

the idea of a handheld pc sold by a company from which you can expect some degree of after-sales support is certainly appealing

Yeah, I hope we get one of those someday. Unfortunately this one is being made by Valve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah you don't want to just hit the power button on anything linux based, it can corrupt your sd card