Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm looking for a handheld that can play SNES and PSX games. Would the RP2+ meet my needs? I have a hacked PSP and new 3DS XL so I'm not sure if I would be gaining functionality other than one system that does everything I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm looking at getting my first retro handheld. I'm aiming to play SNES and PSX games. Not interested in N64 or Dreamcast. I'm thinking about getting the RG351P. Is it worth upgrading to the RG351MP for the screen. I saw some comments that the metal case is heavy and fatiguing for long sessions.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Picked up a rg351v based on the comments about screen resolution. Excited to try it, thanks everyone.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you want to play DS, jbone sells modded DS's for ~$35 with shipping. You can run DS games off a sd card now. That's the way to go to play DS games IMO.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Ridge Racer 2 for PSP. it was never released in the US but IMO it's better than the original.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My 351 won't load my pokemon save file. I saved, exited the game, and put it to sleep. I loaded up the game but it's not loading the save. I checked the micro sd card, there's a srm file for it. I copied the save and tried loading it in retro arch but it didn't load there either.

Any suggestions?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

madmatt112 posted:

My RG351V on AmberELEC works just fine sleeping, waking, loading poo poo off the 2nd card, etc. etc., opening and closing games. I wonder what the hell is going on with some of your folks' systems.

Yeah, up until this I haven't had any issues.

Balloon Time Hooray! posted:

One of the devs told me it was a hardware issue, it might be the SD card itself, who knows. I should try it with a different SD, this one is an older 128gb patriot I've had for years.

I got this SD card from micro center when I bought the system in January.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Madmarker posted:

Hmmm, that Retroid Pocket 2+ does seem really nice, and the Indigo does look really good. But the 3ds is also promising, thanks for the help, I think this gives me a good place to start rather than trying to digest all the retro handheld console videos on youtube aimlessly. I think I am leaning towards the Retroid Pocket 2+, but I may just keep an eye out for a cheap 3ds and pick one of those up at a later date if I find the DS functionality poor.

If you're not interested in 3ds games, jbone has a thread in SA Mart where he resells modded DSi XLs. They're around $40 currently. He also sells 3DS's on request but they're quite a bit more.

I'd avoid any R4 carts these days. There's so many fakes now.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

Somebody please talk me out of buying a 351v, I just bought a miyoo mini

351V does RTC where miyoo mini does not. Didn't see it mentioned here so I figured I'd mention it here.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

Just gonna point you over to this thread in SAMart where goon jbone sells refurbed PSPs and DSes for entirely reasonable prices. He currently has one DSi XL, which should come with Unlaunch already installed on it, which allows you to stick TwilightMenu++ on an SD card, and also a bunch of Lites and original model DSes. Bought a DSi XL from him myself, works like a dream.

Just wanted to chime in to say TwilightMenu works for most games but I've run into some issues with anti piracy. You may need to patch them still. I use an R4 cart for a few games that I couldn't get running in TwilightMenu. They're still cheap like $5-$10, depending on which seller you buy from.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Keep in mind I'm still tweaking settings and will prob switch back to jelOS (if I put it on a fresh SD card, will it reformat my existing rom SD card, or can I hot swap cards between that and the default Anbernic software?) but it seems to work well over HDMI. (edit: the 353p I mean)

There haven't been any issues really. I just a short 5-inch breakout cable leading to a longer HDMI cable, so as to not wear out the device's port. If it's not showing on the TV, the reset button on top always does the job. It looks really nice and I haven't gotten any lag or weird picture problems.

Switching out the OS sd card shouldn't affect the rom SD card at all.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Aware posted:

Any recommendations for a controller thing for my S21+?

Most looking to play GameCube and Dead Cells.

https://castlemaniagames.com/collections/nintendo/products/retro-fighters-duelist-wireless-controller

I'm assuming since it has bluetooth it'll work with your phone.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does it have to be preloaded with games? There are some cheaper options if you're willing to do some work.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

njsykora posted:

Jelos will be getting updates, just you'll need to compile the code yourself because releasing binaries is too accomodating to the filthy casuals. Amberelec doesn't update often, usually a few times a year. The last major update was in June to add support for the RG552, since most retro handhelds are largely Android based now I'm wondering how much of a need there'll be for these kinds of custom firmwares as ongoing projects going forwards.

Don't you guys have linux boxes to compile your own binaries? :smuggo:

In all seriousness, are there any devices besides the Retroid Pocket 2 that support lineageOS?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Are there any of these devices with a nintendo ds/3ds form factor and dual screens?

If you want to play DS/3DS games, there's a seller in SA Mart who picks up Japanese DS and 3DS and resells them. The 3DS is easy to hack and the DS's come with Twilight Menu. Easiest way to experience the DS/3DS library IMO.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is anyone else having issues trying to preorder the Miyoo Mini Plus? I put in my address but clicking next doesn't do anything.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Looks like my Ambernic is arriving today or tomorrow. I tried setting up my microSD card last night with GarlicOS but hit a roadblock when it came to the step where you gotta make a partition bigger. Is there a Mac friendly program to do this? I found where to resize the partition on Disk Utility but it’s inconveniently grayed out.

I found these instructions on the retro game corp setup guide:

https://pastebin.com/YV1Va5JL

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It’s not retro gaming if there isn’t drama.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
How does the RG35xx compare to the Miyoo Mini+? It's available and similarly priced.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Bouillon Rube posted:

So not a third party consol but I figured this would be the best place to ask.

It seems like GBA Micro prices are down a bit from where they were a few years ago. Assuming I find it comfortable (I have a Funkey S and never really have any comfort issues with it), is there any big disadvantage to using a Micro + EZ Flash Omega as a dedicates GB/GBC/GBA machine?

You'd probably have better luck here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837622&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I use my GBA and everdrive for a GB/GBC/GBA machine and have had no issues though.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anbernic is having a sale on their website, $10 off or up to 17% off. Shipping is a bit pricey though.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Zerot posted:

The price increases for the Pi 5, on the 8GB model in particular, are inching them closer and closer to the sale prices of those mini PCs you can get on Amazon ($100-$150). I'm not sure how compelling this will be for people who want just an entertainment center emulation device.

Curious to see what performance is like!

They're probably on par with them once you factor in case, power supply, and storage.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

IG-88 posted:

Been reading about Sanwa switches and how they’re effectively arcade parts. That video from the retro console army guy made it seem like the difference wasn’t much though. So is it worth it?

Also, I was checking out this thread and they mention some extra parts, what are they here:

https://focusattack.com/

Something about a 4 lb spring and an octogate? (As you can tell, I don’t know much about fight sticks but I want to play shmups and such.

Aiming for a purple and green color scheme. :D

Before you start modding, start playing games with it. Find what you like and you don't like about it, then mod it to your tastes. You might be completely happy with how it plays as is.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I have a RG351V. I'm considering picking up a handheld that's horizontal. I've mostly been playing games up to PS1 and GBA. I've mostly been playing romhacks. I'm not necessarily interested in Saturn or N64. PSP and DC would be nice but aren't required. What are my options? A 353P looks like a contender.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

I mean, for a lot less you could get the new one they just put out, the RG35XX H:
https://anbernic.com/products/rg35xx-h

That covers up to mid-DC, N64, and a handful of PSP.
The only real downside right now is lack of custom firmware, but the stock OS is acceptable. Black Seraph might be able to swing Garlic OS CFW to this in the coming months, we're just waiting.

Really depends if you want sub-$100 or $100+.

I almost ordered the RG35XX H. No garlic OS turned me off from it. I'm trying to stick with under $100. I don't think I can justify spending over $100 because that money would probably be better spent on a Steam Deck.

shyduck posted:

The RG353PS is also an option. Same body as the P but there's no Android or touchscreen, just Linux. It can be had for under $100.

drrockso20 posted:

The Powkiddy RGB30 might also be a good choice even if it's more of a square in shape than the more standard rectangle most horizontal systems go for

I'll look into both of these options, thanks!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Powkiddy RGB10MAX3 has a preorder price of $70. It looks like it already has JELOS support too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anbernic is having a birthday sale. Tempted to pick up a RG35XX H. Batocera supports the RG35xx family now.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

AliExpress is having a sale right now and if anyone was looking for a set top emulator you really can’t bes this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256805048523628.html

$85 for the 8/255 or $105 for the 16/512

It will do everything up to ps2 at 720p

https://youtu.be/DIhG9cTbYtY?si=KX2CXPrCbgiDXEXA

https://youtu.be/HPGeXF-yKqw?si=sOuh7ANYTkXRvOTR

This comes with an EU power supply. It's USB-C powered so you may already have a compatible power supply laying around.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Srice posted:

Seems neat for emulation but what I'm wondering is, would that work well as a Plex server too? I could use something that compact for one.

Yes, the N100 is really good for transcoding.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does this N100 box have good wifi hardware to run Sunshine/Moonlight server across the house or it depend on your wifi router?

Are you planning on running Windows or Linux? The N100 had driver issues for wifi, not sure if they've been resolved.

deong posted:

What is the best plex like system for music?
I have a friend that is getting somewhat irrationally angry at spotify/streaming algorithms. Wants to replace it with his own stream server that he rips cd's too. I know plex/plexamp work (well for my use), but is there something more tailored?
His current needs would being able to play music within his network, and then downloading to his phone for offline listening. Preferably in the form of playlist syncing that he'll manage.

I'm thinking i'll push him to buy that n100 box with TrueNas Core.

He's a computer toucher by trade but he's burnt out.

e. doh, I thought i was in the nas thread with all the n100/plex talk. Moving there.

I've only heard of Plex/Plexamp for this.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Lamont posted:

That store won't ship it to the UK either and all the other T8s I can find on AE are much more expensive :( . Anyone got any other recommendations for an emulation box around the same price point, or should I just stick with a Pi4?

If the Raspberry Pi is meeting your needs, stick with it.

In the US, there's a lot of companies that offload their leased mini computers. These end up with resellers on ebay or sold from dell outlet directly. I've seen 8th or 9th gen Intel processors in mini PCs for under $200 from Dell outlet. The CPU and cooling should be far superior to that of a Raspberry Pi.

coconono posted:

I've seeing a lot of those system come loaded with spyware at the OS level. The same stuff they sell those preloaded batocera USB keys. And its loaded into the recovery images so you gotta burn down the entire disk. I'm worried they'll start loading crap bios images too but thankfully that's usually reserved for government level fuckery.

Yeah, you have to be careful with these mini PCs. AceMagician was found to be including spyware on their machines:

https://www.tomshardware.com/deskto...-first-shipment

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What is your goal with the system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah, if you're not planning on running anything else on it, just install batocera and save yourself a headache.