Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Dreamcast/Shrek divide is the true line between retro and modern gaming

that's more true than you probably think, shrek for the original xbox was the first game to use deferred rendering which is how most games work to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Even if it doesn't get jailbroken, supply is so limited that you'll probably be able to flip it for more than you paid

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mystes posted:

I feel like the ram probably isn't that important for this kind of device but how much better is the cpu in the pro?

looks like the CPU cores aren't all that different, but the GPU is a generational step up

the pro has four big CPU cores instead of two but emulation is usually single threaded so

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 11, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe take that spec sheet with a grain of salt anyway since there's at least one error (the pro version has the big cores listed twice)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

Lets hope Anbernic quickly offers their more ergonomic version of SP.

Also I expect an Anbernic version of RP4 with a better screen. Retroid probably knows the spec of Anbernic's upcoming model, that's why they announced 2 models at the same time.

there's not that many high performance SOCs readily available to these small companies so they'll tend to land on similar specs even if they don't know what each other are doing

the only other likely choice besides the dimensity chips is the RK3588, but that hasn't shown up in any handhelds yet. when it does it'll be the new king for linux enjoyers.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

driver support by the chip manufacturer, rockchip provides both android and standalone linux support but others like mediatek and unisoc only support android officially

stephenthinkpad posted:

I heard rumor of Rk3588s, which is on par with d900, or whatever the Allwinner equivalent.

yeah handhelds would use the RK3588S most likely, the bigger RK3588 is mainly differentiated by having a lot more I/O which would be pointless for this application

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 15, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

and look where that got them!

good business is to save 5 cents on sticks and make bank selling replacement controllers that start drifting out of warranty

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

odd that the regular gets android 11 and the pro gets android 13, when going by wikipedia the D900 launched slightly more recently than the D1100

might still be mediateks fault though

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh that's an old MIPS processor

not ideal in TYOOL 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nintendo must pay for their crime of stripping BOTWs wii u gamepad functionality out for parity with the switch version

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

would be neat if the fancy panel has VRR to play PAL games smoothly but it probably doesn't

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

then again do these chinese handhelds actually have much of a warranty in practice, especially if you buy direct from aliexpress

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

good to know

would be nice to have a cheat sheet for which companies make an effort and which ones will probably just ghost you

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nintendo let you buy old games outright on the 3DS/Wii/WiiU but on the switch it's the netflix model where you get access to a library (which doesn't cover everything that was available on the 3DS/Wii/WiiU) for as long as you have an active NSO subscription

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rolo posted:

I’ll prolly be selling my Switch soon too.

check if its hackable, those units command a decent premium at this point since there's still no way to softmod the ipatched models

i sold mine for not much less than it cost in the first place

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

put the LADX decomp on you're steam deck instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRKIJ7GErcI

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I wonder how shared shaders are going to work with that. Like, is Valve going to have a separate archive of shaders for each officially supported SteamOS device? Right now it was a little easier since they only really had one device to target.

if this system uses RDNA2 like the steam deck then they might be able to get away with using the same shader cache, the compiled shaders aren't necessarily specific to the exact chip

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

below full-on handheld computers, anything with the RK3566 i think? nothing is shipping the RK3588 yet

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

or the x55 or the rgb30 or the upcoming miyoo flip, those all use the RK3566

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

They should make a RG556 Pro model with a faster than RP4P chip. A SD870 for example.

qualcomm doesn't seem to be interested in working with small manufacturers in general, ayn is an outlier

mediatek has a bunch of dimensity chips above the D1100 used in the RP4P though

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's still a big gap in the market for a high performance linux handheld, i wonder what the hold-up is with putting the RK3588s in one of these

it's been shipping in bare SBCs for about a year already

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

Probably licensing issues with Rockchip based on history, also other X86 APUs becoming increasingly popular. Also there's probably some mentality of why would we make a Linux device now when the Steam Deck exists.

well the steam deck is big, relatively expensive and not available in many countries notably including china

it's probably not worth competing with it directly but there's room to work around it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

more generally you want something that runs android, things like the miyoo which run ad hoc linux distros don't have good (or any) streaming clients

RG353V was also my thought, vertical android isn't a common combination

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you'll find that a lot of modern games don't support 4:3 properly, the last time developers gave any thought to that ratio was in the early days of the PS3/360 generation since those systems could technically still drive an old SDTV

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the polymega gun is just using sindens light gun tech, and it's no cheaper than sindens own version that does work with PC emulators

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

looks like the retroid flip has been discontinued, maybe there's a successor coming soon

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://powkiddy.com/en-uk/products/pre-sale-powkiddy-rgb10max3-handheld-game-console

code in the description takes 20bux off

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

are there any linux based handhelds which implement c-to-c charging properly, most of them still seem to get it wrong even though it only takes a few resistors to negotiate 5v

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

russ gamecorp posted his video on the $70 powkiddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVxSdVQwQ6s

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

I just don't think big handhelds are handheld. Yes Nintendo should have made a thing smaller than the Switch Lite.

the problem is they couldn't make an actual switch much smaller than the switch lite, so going any smaller would mean returning to a split market where handheld games are their own thing, and i dunno how much appetite there is for that anymore

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's a genuine BOM reduction, the regular switches have a dedicated chip on the main board which muxes the tegras separate usb data and video interfaces into a single usb stream, and the lite doesn't have that component

they could have made it dockable, but it would have cost them more, and having to support the higher docked clock speeds might have also complicated cooling etc

repiv fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 4, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the vendors of the more powerful SOCs usually only provide android drivers, so it's out of the hands of the device manufacturers

rockchip are the main exception, the RK3588S is fairly powerful and can run android or linux, but it has yet to appear in any handhelds

e;fb

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RK3588 is fabbed on 8nm, you could certainly do worse

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sometimes it depends on the cable, some badly designed devices will C-to-C charge through a dumb (3A) cable but not through an e-marked (5A) cable

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

There isn't an IR sensor on the board itself, at least not that I can see. If you don't add the IR window to the case though you end up with a big hole in the top which isn't ideal.

there's a couple of footprints right behind the window which look like they might be for an IR LED and sensor, but they're not populated

:iiam:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think the samsung "evo select" models are particularly safe because that's an amazon-exclusive SKU so there's no third party stock to potentially introduce fakes

evo select performs identically to evo plus, it's just branded differently

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

doesn't yuzu require the user to provide all of the decryption keys? if so this is much more of a stretch than when they went after dolphin, which was recklessly bundling keys with the code

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah installing a switch modchip requires some pretty fiddly soldering so most people would want to get one pre-installed

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

probably not, the switch doesn't output standard HDMI over it's USB port

it actually puts out displayport and the dock converts it to HDMI for reasons, and that'll be what the dongle that comes with the ND+ is also doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

update: it's joever

https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1764704580724576465

https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1764715696250843321