Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any of these devices optimized around emulating the DS? Doubt anything's got two screens, but maybe a vertical screen orientation would help?

I imagine 3DS is still beyond the sub $200 consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm on iphone

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was gonna get a 3DS right before Covid but decided to wait a bit. Last I checked prices have shot up since.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You could get them for about that much new at the time

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

All of these devices are the "same" in that they only require good specs to run games well. The Vita can handle everything before the PSP (excluding the DS) pretty well, and then it runs PSP natively and you can inject PS1 games into others...or something like that.

The RG351 series definitely feels better, though. I'd definitely get the RG stuff over a Vita unless I cared a lot about PSP and PS1 specifically.

just want to note that for my standards the vita sucks at snes. stuff is absolutely playable, but you'll get some kind of occasional hitch in a lot of games

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Walla posted:

What are you using for emulation? I haven't run into any issues yet on RetroArch, but it's a small sample size.

Yup the RetroArch emulators included.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I thought GBA was fine. With the newer emulators I could even turbo at a decent pace.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Man that channel imploded

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The inclusion of sticks probably necessitates a bit more care.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There’s a barely acknowledged conflict of interest at the core of many of these channels, and for whatever reason that stood out for me with Taki in particular (but it’s been a while since I’ve seen his videos, so sorry for nothing more specific).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

More the affiliate links.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Even on pc?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Japan only sequel has a fan translation, btw.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

you can play as a girl

the vita might not be the best retro portable, but it made for a great gameboy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

firefall

:allears:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If you'd told me that was a PS1 Crash, I would've believed you

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The PSP did feel like it came from the future

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The United States posted:

And the (heavily subsidized) Vita would be over $305 today

And the (overpriced proprietary) Vita memory cards are $200 today.

Thank god for the ingenuity of modders.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

if nothing else, that screen seems great

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

zachol posted:

I want a reliable thing that plays PSP games that isn't just a hacked Vita, which seems to be the actual best option at the moment. Some kind of hypothetical Vita clone in ten years feels like the ideal.

cause they're relatively expensive, or something you don't like about the vita, like mediocre non-sony emulation?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

loopsheloop posted:

It uses a program called Adrenaline which isn't actually an emulator - it runs the games off hardware. It does have save state support and some filtering options. The Vita screen resolution is just 2x the PSP's, so they look great on it. PSX games run with some dead area of course but there are some stretching options if you're into that.

SNES and GBA aren't disasters, they run, but audio usually sucks and you lose features like fast forward because the Vita just doesn't have enough juice. You also have to run them through RetroArch or standalone emulators, whose interfaces I find to be a pain in the rear end. There are overclocking apps that might help with the emulation quality. Haven't seen the LED screen so can't speak to that but the OLED punches waaaaaay above its weight. It's a 5 inc screen and still looks gorgeous.

Adrenaline actually lets you make save states for PSP games (might be buggy? i don't remember, but I never had issues)

Last time I tried GBA on Vita, it ran well enough to have proper fast forward support. SNES was pretty crappy though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Disappointing Pie posted:

I was pretty disappointed in my hacked Vita for SNES/GBA performance. Lots of audio glitches and slowdown for me. I actually think my PSP emulates those systems better surprisingly.

I used to run GBA through the PSP emulator because the native emulators all had performance issues, but eventually the native versions caught up. I've haven't used my Vita in like a year, but last time I did some GBA emulation I was happy with how it ran. iirc, fast forwarding was faster than PSP.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What GBA games have you had issues with?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Anyway watching his review of the mini I wonder if he got a busted screen on his review unit because Taki said the screen was great.

Or the other way around

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

that looks uncomfortable to hold

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Biggest culprit behind stick drift in recent times are clickable sticks, which the Vita didn't have (though it was still susceptible to drift, if enough gunk got in).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Can we get some kind of vague summaries?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a handheld that'll let you stream and control your pc but over usb? So like Moonlight but through a cable?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Unfortunately not an option

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

handheld that doubles as my pc in bed

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah that wouldn't work

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

njsykora posted:

Taki has what I assume is a prototype RP3, though all he's shown of it so far is that it's a 16:9 screen and will run PS2 games pretty well so it's looking like it'll be a hell of a system if they can get the price right.

Declan MacManus posted:

big grain of salt for anything taki + retroid

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

remigious posted:

That anbernic sale is tempting, but I keep coming back to the thought that what I really want is something that can play ps2/GameCube. Is it time to bite the bullet and just get a steam deck?

If you can afford it, and don't mind the size, I say absolutely. It seems to be an incredible device at an incredible price.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So was Taki's brouhaha over the RP3 overblown?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

njsykora posted:

Retroid presents buyers remorse.
https://youtu.be/JAWgIxYPE_g

That was quick

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How big of a difference is the new chip going to make compared to the regular RP3?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’ve never had great results with wireless streaming, but I know that greatly depends on your Wi-Fi setup.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

neosloth posted:

Anbernic RG505 is looking pretty good, kind of regretting my RP3+ preorder. But I guess with these consoles there will always be a newer shinier thing

Is it more powerful than the PR3+?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

beer gas canister posted:

If I replace my 351p it will be with a 353m, for the hall sticks.

Is the jury out yet on whether they have their own issues? When hall effect sticks first starting gaining popularity, I saw a number of reports of sticks in GuliKit's own King Kong Pro 2 pad losing range after some time (so in a way the opposite of drift, the sensor doesn't pick up the full stick range).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rolo posted:

Silly start/select buttons aside, this is easily the most comfortable-to-use handheld I own now. The size is just perfect.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but is this your RP3+? Because it says “2”.