Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I got a Miyoo Mini Plus for christmas, and I never really thought about getting something like this before, and I'm really enjoying it. I've been slow to get around to installing Onion on it, since I've never mucked around with something like this before and I worry what could happen if I messed up, but I've transferred things over to a new micro sd card for now. I know there's a few things I'm gonna need Onion's updated emulators and filters for. I'm also gonna need to dump a bunch of roms onto it, and when I see all the lists of games, it's like looking into the matrix. There's just so much. I guess Onion's picture scraping will probably help keep track of things.

Is there a good place to buy a grip for the Miyoo? I think that'd come in useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Okay, so I installed Onion, and I'm kinda...unsure.

My first concern after installation was for my save games. I guess I haven't been playing that long, so I guess I could just catch up to where I was if I really needed to do a full delete, but I'd like to keep my progress if I can. I read a whole thing with changing the file extension on sav/srm files, and it didn't seem like it worked at first, and then I did a thing where I copied over a cache file from the rom folder. That worked, but then it did a weird thing where now in the games I preserved my saves, the middle button brings up the red stock Miyoo menu instead of the switcher, so I think I screwed something up?

Would it have worked better if I copied over and installed the Onion OS onto the SD card I already had the roms on instead of copying over the roms afterwards like the Onion guide suggested?

My other thoughts on Onion so far:
  • I wonder whether it boots up slower? Might just be the fact that it goes through two separate screens.
  • I'm not sure I like the switcher menu and middle button shortcuts. It seems like a bad idea to make the middle button into both an alt button, but if you're holding it long enough, you jump out of the game? Feels weird.
    • Pushing the fast forward button to a shortcut instead of one of the unused triggers seems a lot less convenient.
    • Putting quick load and quick save on trigger shortcuts makes me worry I'll hit one of them by mistake
    • The default miyoo way of handling savestates where they're in the menu and include screenshots seems a lot more convenient?
  • Onion gets rid of the recent games list in the main menu, which doesn't seem good. That was a convenient feature.
  • I kinda like the default miyoo menu music? It's both chill and confirms that the sound is on. It doesn't seem like the default themes for onion gives that option.
  • Legacy of Goku 2 gives an error after the first area where it detects that it's not on proper hardware and stops running. I thought Onion having more updated emulators might help, but maybe I screwed it up, or maybe I just need to get a better rom?
I also haven't managed to get the saves over for the Pokemon Card Video Game over, which might be because of the way the default Miyoo kept it in a subfolder of gameboy roms, but I thought Onion wanted it in a separate folder to use a separate emulator on?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've poked around a bit, and I still would like to know if there's a way to transfer my saves from the Miyoo sd card, I think the main thing I'm concerned about with Onion is that I'd really like the sort of gui savestate management that the default OS has, where you don't have to dig through Retroarch menus, you can just go choose save slots and see a screenshot for your savestate. I can't seem to find an option to enable that without borking things.

The only other thing I can think to ask about is whether there's any way to tell the emulator to do something about the gameboy infrared sensor stuff, since it'd be nice consolation for having to regrind my pokemon card deck if I could do card pop.

Part of why I'm anxious is that I think that if I'm gonna get any of those rom packs, I want to wipe my spare SD card to use for juggling the data, since I don't have a lot of hard drive space to spare for managing one of those giant packs.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

sonatinas posted:

Is this also the thread for non handheld retro consoles? Looking for one with decent Saturn emulation to plug up to tv or monitor.

Yeah I don't really know about purpose-made machines, but you might have a better time looking for answers in the Console Homebrew thread if you want to not have a full PC. If you go deeper to the retro subforum there's a general emulation thread and a Sega thread that might lead you somewhere.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

mystes posted:

I think the 3ds was pretty popular with kids for most of its life so there might be demand for it but I doubt they could get 3rd party developers to make games specifically for another lower powered handheld in 2024. The switch is probably the bare minimum to allow porting games from other platforms.

There's plenty of devs out there making lower-powered games that could easily work with even half the Switch's capabilities, but the bigger problem is that Nintendo's bigger competition for lower-powered handhelds these days is on Android and iOS.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah I don't really see the point of the sticks, especially if it's still probably not going to be able to play many games designed for twin sticks, Some PS1 games will be easier, maybe it'll open the door for more N64 emulation?

The GBASP was one of my favorite device designs I ever, but you really need to shift things around if you want to add sticks. I know that'd probably need a lot more work to figure out the ergonomics than just taking the old form factor and jamming in a modern controller layout, but c'mon.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, the DS line is such a unique handheld design that I can't see really being able to emulate it properly without just straight up copying the layout and interface. Using a mouse pointer on a computer screen just doesn't work for me.

It'd probably also be advisable to specifically copy the specific touchscreen technology that Nintendo used rather than trying to shoehorn the currently popular touchscreen technology into the DS's functionality.

At which point I guess the best option is probably just to buy and crack an old 3DS to get all the functionality.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Pokemon Card Game Videogame comes to mind (and there's been both a fan translation of the sequel and a romhack of the original to do it with 2nd Gen cards), but a lot of that is just because I spent a while trying and failing to figure out whether you could card pop on the Miyoo. It'd probably take a long while to build up your respective decks.

Advance Wars is definitely good, I guess you would also have the option to go later to Dual Strike or Days of Ruin or go way earlier to the Super Famicom Wars or Game Boy Wars games.

Maybe Battleship for GBC?

Although really I have really no idea how multiplayer works with the Miyoo, whether it's even viable to emulate two gameboys on one miyoo at once and switch between them. If you need emulated games that natively support local multiplayer, the games I can think of are:
  • Worms (snes)
  • Worms Armageddon (PS1)
  • Mario Golf (at least the GBA one supports local multiplayer, I don't know about the others)
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • the Dokapon series (you need fan translation roms)
  • Flintstones: The Treasure of the Sierra Madrock (co-op, but not very good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Heroes of Might and Magic for gameboy is another interesting take on a turn-based strategy game that I think could work passing it between players, but it's very obtuse