Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

LODGE NORTH posted:

It is, however, sad that this console and its price points show that Nintendo *could have* increased the specs on the Switch we have now and at least given us the minor improvements like docked 4K relative to this thing's docked 8K.

Not really, we don't know how much of a loss Valve is eating on this thing to try and establish the handheld PC form factor as a thing and Nintendo never sells hardware at a loss. Also this thing probably isn't going to run any actual games at 1440p, let alone 4k so saying it can output 8k is one of those extreme giant asterisk technicalities to say the frontend will be 8k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Might be faked but word from reddit is that all models actually have a 2230 M.2 slot per an email to Gabe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/olp163/was_wondering_if_the_steam_deck_will_have_a/

Almost certainly faked given they said explicitly in the IGN interview the storage was only expandable via SD card.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The teardowns are honestly one of the things I'm most interested in, I would assume if it is just in a regular M2 slot then it's going to be at least under the fan which is going to be a long way down for what I assume is this thing's target market.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I got a 351P, I like how clicky the shoulder buttons are.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I wasn’t expecting to use this 351P for anything but portable systems but drat PS1 games look nice on this. Also playing Dead or Alive on the toilet is an excellent thing to have available.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I installed 351Elec to just easily wipe it of all the crap licensed games preloaded on the thing and it took about 5 minutes. It would’ve been less but I forgot Windows hates my SD card reader and had to move everything to the Max instead, which then meant I needed the thing 351Elec has to remove the indexing files MacOS adds when transferring files.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Didn’t make, published those 2 games. House House made UGG and Campo Santo (RIP) made Firewatch. Also I still remember the weirdly threatening email Panic sent to the games festival that was called Playdate which has always given me sour feelings towards it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Chinook posted:

Yay! Congrats

Speaking of the 351, am I a rube for copying the bios files from the original microsd which was in the device when I received it? I had done this and copied that folder over to my new card, eventually.
A guide told me to do so, but guides often say to go ahead and rip all my own roms, which obviously isn’t a common thing to do.

Is there an 351elec bios pack that works? I notice that Colecovision games are not working, because of various missing bios files.

Every guide I've ever seen says just use the bios' it comes with then build your own rom library because roms are a lot easier to reliably track down than bios files generally. I use that bios pack and I haven't had any issues with it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I feel like the Powkiddy is a good sign of what we might have in a year or so once better chips get put in with the 5in PSP aspect ratio screen. I don’t think it’s quite worth it yet though.

What has got me going right now is the RGC video on the Super Console King. I’m increasingly irritated with the RPi 4’s emulation performance and having that kind of really capable box on the TV is really appealing to me since while the RG351 can play some Dreamcast games I don’t really want to play those on the small screen.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah the PS1 now is pretty close to being one of the systems you can expect to work perfectly on pretty much any device.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

What about Retronyarch?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not really, Dreamcast and N64 is sort of beyond what the 351 can do. No N64 games will even launch on mine and while Dreamcast stuff runs it's always slow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not the M1 probably, the M1 only went into the iPad Pro to push it as a laptop replacement since it has the same internals as the current Macbook Pro.

I like how he did make a point of saying no you shouldn’t buy a Mac just for emulation, but it’s drat good at it if you have one for other reasons.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah RGC has done a video on getting emulation going on iThings, specifically the iPhone.
https://youtu.be/Jek0H5UZ99w

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Charging $140 for that is hilarious given how cheap their C64 mini felt.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oh yes, microcomputers were the thing in the UK especially into the early 90s. Mostly because the games were way cheaper than consoles, and also because the console manufacturers didn't really put any effort into the UK market for a long time. It wasn't until the Mega Drive that the tide really turned in favour of consoles (also helped by the various micros being overtaken by the PC) and even then they clung on for a bit longer with various consoleised versions of them like the CD32 in the case of the Amiga, which is where the controller they're putting with this mini version comes from.

I used a C64, ZX Spectrum and Atari ST before I ever held a console pad. Sadly no-one around me when I was growing up had an Amiga so I've only ever used that through emulation and museums. The microcomputer nostalgia in the UK was also probably a big part of the creation of the Raspberry Pi 400, which is the exact same concept of being a fully self contained computer you just need to plug into a display, and Amiga fans really seemed to jump on the 400 as a vehicle for Amiga emulation pretty quick.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 11, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Well yeah, DMA Design started out on the C64 under Psygnosis. Pretty much their entire early history is on the micros, leading up of course to the original Amiga version of Lemmings.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The United States posted:

I think making mini consoles is neat but making mini computers such that the keyboards don't even work, and copying really bad joystick designs, is kind of self defeating

Yeah this was a weird thing about the C64 Mini, they included Commodore Basic but you then needed to plug a separate keyboard into it. I assume this will have something resembling Workbench with it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This thread does post ETA Prime vids sometimes but recently there’s only so many ways you can be interested in him saying yeah this mini PC costing hundreds of dollars is really good at emulation.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have a saved ebay search for ThinkCentre's, I do want something like that at some point. But those are £150 at most, not modern Ryzen systems costing upwards of £400.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I don't usually watch the videos on the boxes, do any of them have better price/perf than a Pi? I'm well aware of the pita that is getting RetroPie set up, but from the vids I've seen you appear to be stuck with a sizable shortfall in capability in exchange for that convenience.

Not the mini PC things really no, they can run higher end emulation like PSP and Gamecube and PS2 but most of them cost 3-4x the price of an 8gb Pi and a nice case to keep any overclocks cool. Android TV boxes seem to be the sweet spot for price/performance at this point since even the top level Nvidia Shield is the same price as the Super Console X King.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yes, its screen is the same resolution and aspect ratio as the GBA.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah that was one of the big things about the M over the P, the built in wifi. The P also came with a wifi dongle but it seemed to be a coinflip as to whether the one you got would actually work (mine did not).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RGC is saying on YouTube that he’s been told by Anbernic that the 351MP will have wifi so Retro Dodo talking out his rear end confirmed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Can confirm I sold my 3DS XL a few months ago for a lot more than I was expecting to.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also the Steam Deck has its own thread which I assume most Windows handhelds get talked about in.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

retrogaming.txt right there

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I did enjoy everyone saying "well just emulate them" when Nintendo announced N64 stuff for Switch Online like it's a fully solved problem like the PS1 and even PS2 at this point.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So nobody then.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Photos of the Anbernic RG552 are getting around, the actual 351P/M successor, it looks like a bigger 351 except they've finally dropped the logo from the screen bezel. RGC is theorising it's going to be up to everything but Gamecube and is probably going to be best as a PSP-focused thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you’re in the UK, Ali will add on VAT at checkout. I assume it’ll do the same for taxes in the rest of Europe.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Third Party Retro Consoles: they will be impressed for several seconds

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Oh good, the day after I bought my device off AliExpress there's apparently a massive sale ramping up towards November for basically everything?

Yeah, November 11th is a big Chinese holiday, I forget exactly what it is but there's always a massive sale on Ali. It's a mistake you only make once, though I wasn't expecting them to start hyping it until next week.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RG351MP sucked me off?!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Because it's nice to have and only a single stick looks ugly as hell on everything besides the N64 and the original 2DS

You dare to disrespect the Dreamcast controller in this house.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah that's not good for N64 or anything else.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So that new Razer thing is apparently just a dev kit unit meant to show off Qualcomm's big new portable gaming chip, not an actual consumer device. Looks like the portable PC market is going to be a thing in the next few years though if companies are starting to develop SOCs specifically for them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Those side by side shots have done more to convince me on the 552 than any of their marketing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There are all kinds of cheap Android TV boxes now that’ll do better than a RPi at that kind of thing for around the same money or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think the internals of a lot of electronics get issues if you sneeze on them.