Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

The Retroid Pocket 2 + is up for preorder. I’m really curious, because the sale page says it has all new buttons and people claim that the slider can travel more. Supposedly, it also does Saturn and Dreamcast, and I loving love those systems so that would be much more interesting to me.

But all the negative things I’ve heard about the 2’s build quality and general fiddliness has me really wary of even thinking of saving up for one. It’s affordable by the standards of these handhelds ($99 plus shipping), but, yeah, I don’t know.

The standalone PCB kit is also up for preorder ($65) and you can also buy a touchscreen upgrade for $20.

I can’t afford this right now so it’s a moot point, but I’m also wary because only one dude (Taki Udon) has shown anything off, and he’s shilled hard for it in the past, even while people were having PCBs die and poo poo.

E: also, yes I’m crazy and have read this entire thread because these things are fascinating, and also because I’m a big nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

this is a choice

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Froist posted:

To me the draw always seemed to be that it accommodates cleanly scaling the various aspect ratios better. With 480 vertical but increased width compared to 4:3 devices, you can do integer scaling on the home consoles and GBA/PSP. Though because of this every platform will have some wasted border space.

I haven’t actually got any of these though, so it’s just my thoughts. I was close to buying an RGB10 Max and then the 2 was announced, and now that’s starting to ship the RP2+ has come out of nowhere and looks decent for the price.

Yeah, same, except that the high end devices are all out of my price range anyway. I can’t afford the 64GB Steam Deck or even an RG351mp, I’m not gonna be buying an Aya Neo any time soon. :v:

I don’t trust Taki Udon either

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

For some reason I was reminded of the extremely high quality Gamecube portable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZWfnsyYV8

“Before you ask, yes, I was an idiot” :laffo:

E: holy poo poo this thing starts smoking the second he turns it on, please send this to BigClive

Anyway here’s Russ’s take on the Max 2

https://youtu.be/A6Nm3a8tPL8

powkiddy is a land of contrasts

Sailor Goon fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 7, 2021

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I’ve got my Vita back up and running again, gonna see what emulators there are for it.

ngl I’ve been tempted to save for a couple of the Anbernic handhelds just for native res emulation.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I’ve got a slim Vita, so I guess I’d be mainly looking for something that costs less than replacing it with an OLED Vita. :v:

I’ve run into a few issues with SNES, but GBA seems pretty solid on Vita from the few games I’ve tested, and Genesis/MD and 8-bit stuff seem to run well on just about anything these days. IIRC Genesis was even pretty solid on PSP with Picodrive.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

My 351V finally arrived and I’m mostly happy with it. The biggest pain in the rear end so far was that some of my romsets just did not want to show up. So I tied up someone else’s computer for a day and a half getting this sorted, because mine is dead. :v: I feel great about that, lemme tell ya. (spoiler: I do not in fact feel great about it) 351elec is p slick though.

I preordered a RP2+ at the beginning of the month and I’m just going to assume that it will show up in February or March sometime, based on people’s past experiences with Retroid preorders.

Also got a RG280m for $60 and I wish the screen was just a little bigger. the colors just look so good on it and Adam is a much faster front end to navigate. Also I kind of like the chunkier lower res pixels for older games :shobon:

Wow I’ve spent too much cash on this

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Yeah I saved up for ages to get a used New 3DS XL, and the seller ended up sending me one that had literally been chewed on by a dog. Got my money back because they disappeared, but now they’re too loving expensive to just go out and replace it with one in nicer condition, so I ended up going back to my old small New 3DS. Maybe someday I’ll have the skill and the bravery/stupidity to try a case/screen replacement.

Re: PSP, you can sometimes find good deals on PSP-3000s because they’re not in as much demand as Vitas or 3DSes. They’re dead easy to hack these days, and 8-bit, Genesis, and GBA emulation is also good on them, plus you’ll have PS1. No upscaling but it’s native so you won’t have any compatibility issues. Memory cards might be the only issue, not sure if there’s an SD2Vita equivalent for PSP yet.

Also my RP2+ shipped via DHL so yay for being an early adopter/beta tester/possible sucker I guess? Supposedly it’ll be here before New Year’s. Really hoping for decent Saturn and better N64 and Dreamcast emulation, that would be enough to satisfy me.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

drat that screen is nice.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Supposedly my RP2+ will be here today :toot:

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

John Romero posted:

Looking for a handheld on Amazon around ~$120 max that do up to ps1 well. Obvi n64 and dc would be great but I know it’s asking a lot in that range. Wish I had jumped on those 351s when they were $70

This is a decent deal for a RG351P:

https://www.amazon.com/DREAMHAX-RG3...s%2C176&sr=8-21

Also this is what I have and it’s pretty good, if you like the Game Boy form factor:

https://www.amazon.com/DREAMHAX-Han...s%2C176&sr=8-29

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

John Romero posted:

I actually just ordered that first one

Congrats! If you want to get a little bit extra performance out of N64 and Dreamcast, try the 351elec firmware, it’s good

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Food Boner posted:

Anyone know what shipping outfit retroid used? They sent me a tracking number but like 20 shipping outfits pop up when I try to track the number lmao

4PX if you picked the $20 option, DHL if you went for the $32 option

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Almost Smart posted:

This is helpful, but I keep running into the same stumbling block. When I try to set the game path, I get nowhere. I have a folder for Roms and a subfolder labeled GBA which contains about a dozen or so GBA roms. When I go to add the directory, clicking through the directory just leads to an empty folder with nothing I can select. There's just a parent directory folder to take me backwards and nothing else even though I can clearly see the .gba files when I connect the RP2+ to a PC.

Yeah same, it doesn’t like any of the GBA, PS1, or DC files that I have. I managed to get SNES games to run by changing the file extensions but that’s about it.

E to add: In my case, it will try to scan the folders, but it won’t add the files. Maybe it doesn’t like the file types (.bin/cue, .gba, .gdi), otherwise I don’t know.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

The United States posted:

Is it looking only for unzipped? Or maybe only for zipped?

It was looking for unzipped with GBA and Dreamcast, but the PS1 games don’t appear regardless. I’m gonna try formatting them as .chd and see if that works.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

beep-beep car is go posted:

I’ve completely given up on the default front end. The minute I learned that the SNES emulator required .smc instead of the MUCH more common .sfc i was like “*clap hands* nope!” Now I’m on the hunt for the best standalone emulators.

Having to deal with stand-alone emulators, or setting up RetroArch on my own, was where I gave up completely on the RP2+. If I’m going to have to go to the lengths of setting up my own key bindings and poo poo, I might as well do it on my laptop now that it’s fixed and at least get better performance out of some of the more difficult to emulate systems.

It’s my own fault for buying into the hype and novelty of “look at all these old games you can play on one device,” mind you.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

coconono posted:

Any retroid 2+ haters name your price, I will buy it.

I’m not really a hater, more an easily confused idiot

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

the rp2/+ was my first retro handheld so i think a lot of horseshit that i’ve had to deal with i have sort of accepted as normal

the lack of a functional frontend means clunkily scrolling through android menus to get to individual emulators, some of which were designed with touch functionality in mind and as such do not necessarily have full or intuitive control from the rp2’s buttons-only interface. it is very picky about which emulators you use (drastic and myboy being two purchases i’ve made to improve the performance that have done a great job). the wifi and store functionality is dead so you have to clumsily load roms onto an sd card.

all of that being said: the performance for the price is outstanding. the default folders are hooked up to retroarch, and most of the emulators in retroarch that are installed work perfectly. the lack of a clean frontend to boot into is extremely disappointing, but as someone who’s more concerned with performance than UI i’ve come to live with it. everything is a little kludgy, but for less than $100 invested in it, there is in fact a lot to write home about. haven’t upgraded my pcb yet because i’m fuckin lazy but idk. would i give it to a kid or recommend it for your first handheld? no. but it doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure out. it could be smoother, but for the price you’re paying it’s good enough, especially when the next significant step up in performance is gonna run you 3x as much at least,

These are all fair points.

Gonna add that if (like me) you hate seeing ads in your apps, you can upgrade Yaba Sanshiro 2 to Pro via the workaround of visiting the Play store on a different device. You can just turn off Wi-Fi, but then it complains about wanting Google Play services to run and idk if it really does or not, plus the upgrade was $5.60 so I’ve spent more money on lunch then that. Otherwise the Play store will take you to the store page for the free version and tell you to use in-app purchases to upgrade. I didn’t see a way to do this in the app on the RP2+ so this was my workaround. Then just uninstall the free version because the devs officially support the RP2+ and you won’t have any trouble setting it up.

I’m just used to slick front ends like Emulation Station, so everything being a kludge like in the old days is hard to get used to and kinda confusing. Although playing Panzer Dragoon Saga at 2x resolution on a handheld owns so, land of contrasts, etc.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Which version of Adam are you on? I had a lot of crashes on 1.3 on the 280M but 1.3.1 resolved them for the most part.

You could also try reflashing the image.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Figured I’d add this screenshot from the video because it’s a handy quick guide for file types, although I’m sure RGC will have this in the written guide as well.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

The United States posted:

Man sits in chair and complains about mostly Android stuff regarding the Retroid Pocket 2+ for 23 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atkvB0BdmI8

Yes the image is right in the written guide

https://retrogamecorps.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/rp2.004.png?w=1024

I’m a moron for not just looking :negative:

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

When I had an RG280M, I liked Adam a lot, because it was pretty close to plug and play. Most of the stock apps seemed pretty useless to me outside of PyBackup and Commander, and those are still in Adam. You can still run the ports, they just go in the ports folder. You can still add your own wallpapers by adding them to the folder and change UI settings by hitting select. I would not be shocked if you could re-add the apps to the “apps and ports” section if you really wanted them. I never used Rogue because it just looks like a reskin of the OpenDingux front end that the device came with, so maybe I’m missing something that makes it great.

I def fall into the “tinkering is a necessary evil” camp but I know other people enjoy it. I just appreciated that someone saved me the time of setting up hotkeys and aspect ratios and etc.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Yeah just go with what you like best, it’s your device to customize and play with. There’s no reason to use the SimpleMenu front end if you hate it. Sorry, I kinda feel like maybe I was being a jerkass.

On a side note, I’ve beaten 5 games on my 351V over the last month. It fits my hands really well. I kinda want to get some cranberry colored buttons from SakuraRetroMods to complete the DMG look.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

ArkOS and RetroOZ CFWs now have better Saturn support with Yaba Sanshiro on several RK3326 devices. 3D games still won’t run well, but you can play Dragon Force, Saturn Bomberman, Magic Knight Rayearth, and some other games at full speed now. RGC is maintaining a list of games that run well on his site. By his estimate only about a quarter of the library is even remotely playable, but it’s a big jump from barely running anything.

https://youtu.be/pso8RsqRs6E

You’ll probably still want an Odin or RP2+ if you want better Saturn emulation, but it’s cool when people can squeeze a little more performance out of older chipsets.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I thought the Miyoo Mini was still sold out everywhere.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I might actually try some GameCube games now, out of curiosity if nothing else

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I would like a bigger one, conversely, because I can just throw it in whatever bag I’m toting. Pocketable devices are too small for my eyes and apparent gorilla hands :j:

Moot point though, because if I can’t afford the Steam Deck and Ayn Odin, I won’t be able to afford any of the Windows handhelds either. And if it has a bigger screen, I’d at least like better N64, Saturn, and Dreamcast than the RGB10 Max 2 can do.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

The video’s gone private. What was it?

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

oh goddamit I’m a moron who got distracted and momentarily plugged the charging cable into the wrong USB port on my 351V. Hoping I didn’t fry anything important in the 5 seconds it took me to realize my idiocy before I yanked it from power, although everything still seems to be functional (PC can see the device over USB, it can detect and power USB stuff through that port still, everything boots just fine).

I’d managed to avoid doing anything like this in decades of owning electronic tat, I suppose I was due for this one

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Good to know I didn’t wreck anything then!

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

If it’s the RGB10 Max 2, there’s something in the kernel that causes analog controls to be inverted in anything where you can’t set them yourself, iirc.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I wish I could get a different shell and screen for my RP2+, because the screen has streaks on it and the shell gets fingerprints on it the instant you touch it. It ends up looking like an oily mess so I clean it every time I turn it off.

I’d break it trying to replace anything so I just live with it

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

YMMV but the latest prerelease fixed a lot of the problems I was having on the 351V.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Yeah, I like it a lot. Much nicer feeling controls and build quality than the RP2+. I wish it could have a bit bigger screen for more readable text in certain games but it’s aces at PS1 and below

The display is loving great

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Go straight to Amberelec. The default firmware isn’t nearly as good.

As far as cases go, I got the one recommended by Russ from RGC and I like it a lot. It’s a little snug but it fits the system and a USB C to A charging cable without any fuss. Here’s his video so you can see how it fits in the case.

https://youtu.be/A7vgt0xoCkg

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

There’s this thread over in the Retro Games sub that has a ton of solid recs in it

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Holidays are an especially rough time to be sick, hope they feel better soon.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Daijisho is the popular Android launcher. It’s free and works pretty well

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Yeah it’s still Adam. Someone ITT was doing tweaks to it a while back that might be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

also “edited to add” :eng101: