Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think this is the link LN wanted but also lmao

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968461

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Bouillon Rube posted:

I recall there being one of these that has a Gameboy cart slot and can play GBA games natively. Anyone know which one that was?

Was it the GB Boy?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there any alternate firmware that’s good for the RG280V?

I've been using Rogue and that hasn't given me any problems like the base FW or beta versions of OpenDingux have: https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/cfw-rg280v-'rogue'/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Walla posted:

Also does RetroArch have decent PSP emulation? Maybe that version will run better than Dreamcast/GC.

There's a PPSSPP core, so depending on what you're running it on, yeah

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Ok this thing is nice.

It feels a lot like a heavier switch but it feels nice in the hands.

Windows updates are a bitch though lol

Are those analogue sticks any better than the lovely joycon ones? They look much the same. That d-pad also looks a little flat for my liking but I guess it's hard to tell from the angle. Who made that thing anyway?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

busalover posted:

e: also this thread would make a good fit for the retro subforum

You know, I thought for sure it was.

VG pls fix

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

I want a spring-loaded M.2 slot that you can hot swap like cartridges. You could get a bunch of 128GB ones for those 100GB+ games and get annoyed when they inevitably get too big to fit on it.

Only if you can fire them out of the unit like UMDs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Wood grain, my dude.

this

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I don't use my 280V very much but I'm probably going to buy a 351M anyway

gently caress this thread!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I placed the order

and then immediately messaged Anbernic because I put the wrong state (it defaulted to ACT and I didn't notice) lol

Oh well, should be fun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

351M arrived way sooner than I thought. A bit heavier than I thought it would be, but wow is it well built. Feels a lot more..properly made than the DS or 3DS ever did.

Does 351Elec support compressed images (PBP or whatever is the hotness for PS1 these days) or is it not worth it due to the CPU overhead?

e: oh some of the PS1 images it came with are PBPs, guess that answers that

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 28, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I cannot take anything named "Powkiddy" seriously

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It naturally doesn't say it anywhere on the GitHub but arkos is discontinued for the 351s now, fyi

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I had no idea the retro game corps dude wrote cookbooks lol.

https://youtu.be/StvlhW8TCEE

Also shocked he still in the navy.

Next you're gonna tell me that Taki Udon is a bodybuilder

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Is there any custom firmware for the cat

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Warbird posted:

Good to hear. I’ll putter with mine and see what’s what. Given that it’s Linux I’m hoping I can get extremely stupid with things.

I’m a related note, I assume we’re doing RasPi rules for SD cards? Something name brand and class 10?

Yeah, and just like Pi, make sure to shut down cleanly

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

351Elec rules, I chucked Epic Pinball into a ZIP, renamed the extension to dosz, threw it into the /msdos folder, scraped it and bang, it just works, even has labelled control mappings.

The beta version has cloud backup/restore too, though you have to set it up on a PC first with rclone.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You can get (at least I know for sure) S1/2/CD working fine on 351Elec, though it requires yanking the binaries from ark (easy), copying a library over that Elec doesn't have (also easy), and changing the .sh to have Elec friendly paths. You also might need to use a script to uh..actually have an exit hotkey. I might actually work on that tomorrow and get them nice and packaged. I should look at SK and Spelunky also while I'm at it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Maybe a different RA core is being used between the two? I haven't tried much N64 yet, only Legacy of Darkness which ran pretty well

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Warbird posted:

Does anyone here have hands on with moonlight/steamlink running within 351Elec? It's apparently possible now that Anberports is supported.

Anberports is deprecated and most of the stuff on there doesn't work on 351Elec anymore. Moonlight is affected by this - you can't control the menus without plugging in a keyboard but it fails to scan for PCs. Honestly the screen (res and size) is a bit small for moonlight to be comfortable, though it's nice on a Vita at least.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah the 551, going by their naming scheme will be a 5.5" screen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm guessing by Fuselage they mean..bezel/excess

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

but a company called Ayn making a product called Odin is sus as hell

lmao I did not put two and two together

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Lmao

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

As soon as I saw that it was opendingux I was like, oh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The United States posted:

I think he correctly theorizes that they still have warehouses full of these decade old processors so they gotta put them in something

Yeah honestly I think that's correct

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

After watching a couple YouTube videos on the topic, I’m thinking about possibly softmodding my (only) Vita (original model). I’m kinda worried about 2 things, though: possibly bricking it, and getting my PSN account banned. Anyone have any experience with this?

I know some people say to create another PSN account, but then my purchases and trophies aren’t carried over…

Also, Retro Games Corps recommends starting from a factory restored model with no saves, but I’d want to preserve some of my save files, too.

I mean if you're modding your Vita anyway you can generate fake licenses for your downloaded stuff so they'll run anyway, if it came down to that. PSN itself is nigh useless on the Vita now unless you really wanna sync trophies and so on, I just zapped my account off it and don't do anything PSN related. But they don't really ban anyone, either way, I just did it for peace of mind.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DRINK ME posted:

Oh and I also hosed up putting on the free screen protector, therefore continuing my perfect run at never managing to put one of those on correctly or without air bubbles. It came with a nice little hard case though, so it’s not going to be rolling around getting scratched in my bag or pocket anyway.

I did too but it's just one bit of dust that I can't see when the screen is on..but I know it's there. Whatever, it can stay, it's hardly the worst screen protector job I've done :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Anybody using 351elec know why native saves with psx roms aren't working for me, even without shutting off the device or closing the rom? Memory card appears to be present when I start a game and in-game saves appear to work normally, but if I die and then try to reload the save file I just made, it doesn't exist. I'm not getting any error messages related to bios so I'm not sure what the problem is. Anybody encounter this? Either google isn't returning much or I'm searching for the wrong terms.

Maybe change your log-level to something lower and see if it shows up there, otherwise the 351Elec discord would be the best place to ask.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

what the heck

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the best OS and setup for an RG280V? I have the stock OS yet, and back when I bought it there were rumblings of other things being ported to it, but I havent really kept up since then

Rogue. Throw Retroarch on there so you have options but the updated emulators (I think Retrogamecorps has an article list) are fine for the most part.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Looks like there's only the 351P available from a reseller with Prime so might just go for that. Couple reviews saying the battery was lot worse than expected but that could be a manufacturing defect I guess?

The main thing is the system doesn't have proper battery level reporting and tends to do weird things under 40% (as measured via voltage level in 351elec/ark). The actual battery life is pretty alright even with wifi on with the M.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cloud sync for saves and not having to shut it down and take the SD card out to change files is a godsend. RetroAchievements is cool too.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

frogbs posted:

Wait, is cloud sync for saves a thing yet, or is that still coming in 351elec?

It's in the beta builds. You have to make a config with rclone, but after that you can just run the upload/download script and it'll sync to Google Drive or whatever you want.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

351Elec is still the recommended firmware right?

Yeah, Ark is fine enough but it's not in development anymore, LineageOS is..more of a curio than useable, at least for now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Should use the Gamepro excited guy review scale

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Despite the buzz around RockChip’s new RK3566, the RG552 will apparently contain a much older chip known as the RK3399. First announced back in 2016 and released the following year, the RK3399 is actually a more capable chip than the RK3566. Unfortunately it is also more power hungry and runs hotter.

It has active cooling, which.. ehhhh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

teagone posted:

Does it really? Lmao. That sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dfwHf3hZTk

PWM fan, yep

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Your Anberports replacement is here: https://github.com/christianhaitian/PortMaster

Difference now is, it's focused on being 'OS agnostic' for RK3326 devices - any libraries needed are contained within it (a lot of the problem for using AP on 351Elec was that ArkOS has a lot of libraries as part of its build while Elec opts for the other way to have a cleaner image). Controls are configured for a bunch of systems using the chipset.

The script itself currently doesn't run on anything but Ark, but you can grab the port ZIPs from the repo and load them yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

GBA in particular got a LOT better on Vita once they figured out how to enable GPU acceleration