Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Kinda makes me glad I'm sticking with the RG350 for the time being, if you brick that one all you have to do is flash the firmware onto a new micro SD card and slide it in(well since mine is an original model I have to take it apart to access the internal port but still pretty easy overall)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctnUAICCP98

New RG351 coming out next week with a gameboy DMG form factor and, most importantly, a wood grain finish

Neat but only one analog stick kills any interest I might have had in it, at this point not including two on any of these devices just comes off as the makers being cheapskates

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

So this is kinda cool for $15

https://youtu.be/zVsnjUJHRpE

He doesn’t go into loading other Roms on there though.

Too few buttons, immediately can tell its overpriced at even that price, if one of these devices doesn't have at least either six face buttons or 4 face buttons and at least one set of L/R buttons/triggers there's really no loving point in getting them

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Dreamcast/Shrek divide is the true line between retro and modern gaming

But the Gameboy Color had a Shrek game* and that is definitely a retro system

*which was a terrible game whose only merit was that it was rare enough that GameStop gave me 20 bucks for it as a trade in back in like 2007 or something

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rolo posted:

RG351V is officially here. Came 5 days after ordering from Anbernic + FedEx.

Don’t skip on the free “bag” they offer for it. It’s actually a very solid clamshell case that I will 100% use when I travel.

Yeah Anbernic offers some nice little cases for their systems, the one for my RG350 is about on par with the official cases that Nintendo offered for the NES & SNES Classics(much smaller though obviously)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The United States posted:

I love that guy's endless "let's take an old dell/mini pc/netbook and run batocera on it" videos :allears:

Speaking of which,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCkkZ-GDlfE

The one issue I have with this is still the lack of a second stick, though the fact that you can apparently use an external controller with it does potentially mitigate some of those concerns, so might have to get one in the near future if my finances improve

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

While the v90 is one of the best at it's very low price and unique in its form factor, it's not quite powerful enough to earn the "up to PS1" monkier, since it can't handle PS1 that well, and even older systems like NGP or many SNES games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBOUnH92L_A

Aspect ratio aside, the new lower price of the PocketGo S30 ($60 + shipping) means it's probably the cheapest system that earns the "up to PS1" monkier now.

https://retrododo.com/pocketgo-s30/

It won't handle PS1 though

I'd be all over that one if they added a second stick, 2 sticks(preferably with L3 & R3 functionality), 4 to 6 Face Buttons, and at least 4 Shoulder Buttons are at this point I feel the essential bare minimum for any new retro handheld to have(alongside the basic stuff like a D-Pad, start and select buttons, and various function buttons)

That does remind me, apparently the Powkiddy RGB10 Max apparently came out just yesterday, will be interesting to see how that one pans out

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

There's also the whole thing where the V only has one stick, and sure PS1 only has like a couple games that require both sticks, but there's quite a few games that control much worse with only one stick or with D-Pad only

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

sonatinas posted:

What should I buy for my 5 yr old? My old DS disappeared.

Considering their age probably should just go with a GBA SP off eBay and some flash carts for both Game Boy/GBC and GBA games

Or for that matter if you can find an early model DS or DS Lite in reasonably good condition get that as well since DS flash carts are ludicrously cheap and you'd still be able to use a GBA flash cart as well

As for why I'm not suggesting a proper 3rd party retro handheld, well even though many of these are quite durable, it's still something I wouldn't recommend leaving in the hands of a five year old for any truly significant amount of time, while old Nintendo handhelds are generally built like tanks and will probably survive most things a five year old could do short of being dropped in a toilet or pool

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rolo posted:

I have a hankering to get caught up on Metroid/Castlevania/Pokémon DS games but the thousand different models confuse me.

If I buy the newest flip 2DS can I flash cart original DS games?

Edit: these are more expensive than Switches. Hey Nintendo you jackasses make some DS games for Switch.

Yeah 2DS will accept DS flash carts no problem since they're backwards compatible with most DS games*(and even before Nintendo stopped updating the 3DS family they hadn't bothered with blocking DS flash carts in years), indeed 3DS flash carts are often the exact same thing as modern DS flash carts, just a matter of different software(though using it for 3DS games requires hacking the system)

*indeed they usually work by tricking the system into thinking it's a real DS game(most commonly a specific Bomberman game but I'm sure others have been used for that purpose as well)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sammus posted:

If I want to plug something into my TV and play PS1, N64, and SNES games, what are my best options? Portability is of zero concern. Being able to Bluetooth a DS4 is essential though.

Probably to buy a mildly used PC or Laptop from within the last five years and hook it up to your TV

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Probably to buy a mildly used PC or Laptop from within the last five years and hook it up to your TV

to back up my statement here is a video ETA Prime just posted that proves my point that if you aren't looking for a handheld the best solution is probably an secondhand PC of semi-recent nature;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONKVZf0m6o

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

BoM is always hard to say, especially with a semicustom part like this CPU, but for comparison, the Lenovo IdeaPad flex (seemingly the only laptop available with AMD's newest APU), which has 2 fewer GPU cores and they're Vega, not rdna 2, 8gb of ram, 256gb of storage, and 14" 1080p screen, retails for $600. The steam deck also has brand new tooling for all it's parts.

Part of Valves math here is that they get a cut of most/all of the games you'll buy on this, something Aya doesn't have going for it.

Doesn't hurt that getting a decent gaming computer or console is an utter crapshoot due to scalpers and crypto currency mining, so Valve offering something that is both very powerful for a handheld unit but also pretty reasonably priced for a gaming computer in general in this current market and seeming to be comparatively easy to get if one doesn't mind waiting a fee months all comes together rather nicely for it to have made more of an impact than it might have back before COVID

MarcusSA posted:

There was a discord message from one of the devs that said the slot is behind a thermal pad and it will void the warranty if you dick with it.

Probably not overly hard but yeah it will void the warranty.

Here it is

That's what I figured, I just went for the 512 version anyways for simplicity reasons

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Boxman posted:

Ya'll make a compelling case for the v. I don't think I realized there were so few PSX games that used the right stick...and I'd probably spend more of my time in 8/16 bit world anyway. I'll probably impulse purchase one later today. If i want it for a trip in early September, I'm better off just going on amazon and picking a seller more or less at random, right (at least one that's fulfilled by Amazon)? Any AliExpress seller will feature the "it'll get there when it gets there" special?

There aren't many games that NEED both sticks but there's a good amount that play better with two sticks vs one or none

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

SO I recently got back into the Ace Attorney games. The first three and last two are available on the Switch, but everything else is stuck on its launch console or mobile.

I was planning on getting some capable Android TV device, then just installing the games, but are there any downsides or possible flaws in doing this? The base requirements are 2GB of RAM, which something like the MiBox S supports, but I'm still looking because I genuinely don't need or want any of the other features. I solely want it to play games that may only be available on mobile, on a monitor or TV.

If you still own a DS or 3DS just buy a DS flash cart

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's definitely neat, though the fact that you can achieve similar results for a lot cheaper with a Pi 400 does somewhat deflate the impact it could otherwise have

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

frogbs posted:

I fully realize what thread i'm posting this in, but: https://hard-drive.net/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut-gently caress/

I've definitely realized that with every emulator box i've built i've spent more time setting it up than actually playing games on it :shobon:

The difference is that with the Nintendo mini consoles(and to an extent the Sega and Sony ones) is that the price difference between them and doing a full retropie setup was pretty minimal so it mostly came down to how much work someone wanted to put into getting setup and how much they valued customization, here however there's a pretty fat price difference between the A500 and getting a Pi 400 kit

And this is from someone who has bought a bunch of the mini consoles in the past and hasn't actually ever bought a Raspberry Pi before

also that article is nowhere near as funny as it thinks it is

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Getting real sick of these companies not doing twin sticks when there is more than enough room on the device to fit them

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

loopsheloop posted:

Might be against the spirit of this thread, but before you spend $100+ on an Android device to play DS games, you could check out Craigslist or FB for a used 3DS. Homebrew is easy to install and will let you run backups. The DS and 3DS really benefit from original hardware, imo.

^^ or see above

Heck if you are only going to use it for DS games you don't even need to hack it, DS flash carts will load up just fine without any alterations on the 3DS side(as at least for modern models they work by tricking the system into thinking its a specific real DS game)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

n4 posted:

Are there any worthwhile DIY handheld kits? Or maybe a parts list somewhere that could be used to make one?

ClockworkPi's DevTerm and GameShell* would probably qualify though both have availability issues and are somewhat underpowered by 2021 standards since they use an older version of the Raspberry Pi Compute Module(the 3 model) rather than the current 4 model(and unfortunately those two models are different enough in design that you can't just swap one in for the other), a shame really as both are gorgeous looking machines

*also this one is lacking in buttons as it only has a d-pad and four face buttons

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

It's for the people who buy things like the arduboy and the playdate, it's not supposed to run emulators

So essentially pointless hipster devices then

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Giant clamshells are back, can they defend their niche, even as the new generation of more powerful android handhelds looms large?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK9I-h_C9iY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn_zeXwrFE8

No L3 or R3 on the analog sticks automatically makes it overpriced garbage

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

What is that silver... thing... right above the keyboard?

The d-pad, no idea why it looks like that though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So watching through Retro Game Corps video he did a couple months ago about the Adam image for the RG350 & RG280 has convinced me that for the moment at least I'll probably be best off just using that on my regular RG350(even if opening that thing is an enormous pain in the rear end) rather than buying a newer handheld* as between that and the DS Flash Cart I have in my 2DS that covers most of the systems I'd be wanting to play in a portable fashion anyways(and if I did want to do PSP or Dreamcast or other higher end consoles I could probably make do using my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 and a Bluetooth controller)

*well besides maybe doing a Steam Deck next year if I have a steady job by then, but that's a whole different tier of product than most of the things discussed in this thread anyways

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ETA Prime is also pretty good for this sort of thing, even if due to how 2021 and 2020 have been his output has leaned heavily on Tablets, Android Sticks, and Laptops & Micro-PC's in recent times

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

CFox posted:

This is what it boils down to for me as well. You can use emulators and injects and run all kinds of systems on the 3DS but really it's better to just focus on DS and 3DS games for it and use another device for single screen consoles.

Agreed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So went ahead and ordered a new 16 GB Micro-SD card* so I can upgrade my RG350 to the Adam image and while the card doesn't come till Saturday I figured I'll get my system opened up now so it's less of a pain later and while it'll definitely be worth it I had forgotten how much it sucks to get that one open to be able to access the internal card slot as those screws are obnoxious to undo(took probably the better part of 20 minutes to do)

Thankfully once I get the image done I'll hopefully not have to mess with it again for a long time

*only needed one for the image as I have an unused 512 GB card lying around that I'm going to use for my games which should be more than enough space for not only basically every 8 & 16 bit game in existence but probably a decent amount of the better games for the PS1 and other CD systems I'd be using with the thing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Seems Anbernic has yet another new device on the way, another Game Boy style vertical handheld called the RG353V, based off the picture floating around for it seems we'll finally have a Vertical handheld from Anbernic that matches up with the horizontal ones in terms of having the full range of controls many of those have

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

n4 posted:

I'm really trying to resist the urge to collect these handhelds. Right now I have a hacked Switch, RGB10 Max, and a Samsung tablet with Retroarch on it. I know I don't need another one of these devices but still...

Does seem like you need a super small handheld so you can always have one in your pocket

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Evercade, the retro handheld from last year that used carts for it's games has a console version coming out soon;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rDx3nH2z0

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Lmao at it being incompatible with a couple of the carts.

Apparently for licensing reasons as when they did the license for the Namco games it was for "handhelds" only, supposedly they're working on renegotiating that, which if successful will probably result in them doing a patch to allow for the Namco carts to work

A lot of the things about the Evercade that made no sense before (the widescreen primarily) make a lot more sense upon learning that they were always planning on consolizing it. Also that it has ports of modern retro-themed indie games now, which are widescreen native.

Also as I understand it they have button mapping now which enables you to fix some of their bad button assignments, but it's neither per game nor per system, so still not great.

XY AB is still an abomination.

The pricing also makes more sense for a console vs the handheld version(which always felt a good 30 to 40 dollars too expensive)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

To me the niche seems pretty obvious, it's the PC equivalent to the Switch in that while a dedicated console or handheld would be overall better in those specific niches, the Switch/Steam Deck is more versatile since they can be both and can do both reasonably well enough

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Behold, the unholy lovechild of a retroid pocket 1 and an analogue pocket is born

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keJPQ29hdTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPf31gfuABw

And once again a vertical oriented handheld is ruined by not adding a second stick even though there is clearly more than enough room on the right side for one, why are they so allergic to doing that with these things?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Barudak posted:

The overwhelming majority of games these are intended to run predate the scheme so why spend money on that?

Because it's nice to have and only a single stick looks ugly as hell on everything besides the N64 and the original 2DS

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

I think the weird thing about the N64 is that the emulation doesn't directly correlate to the power a system has, but the way the emulator itself was built. I didn't do any research on it, that's just been my takeaway after so many years of wondering why this 90s console is still giving developers headache.

HOWEVER. Rare Replay is on GamePass and can be played over the cloud. So, in theory, any decent Android device should be able to play the games within in (Kazooie and Tooie are a part of the collection). Skies of Arcadia might be an easier goal since Gamecube emulation isn't as difficult as N64 and as far as I understand, Dreamcast emulation has never been too difficult since it's practically just a computer.

Actually Rare Replay isn't on Game Pass(or rather it is on there but only for consoles, it's not on Cloud Gaming) for whatever reason*, several of the component games are(all three Banjo games, Kameo, both Perfect Dark games, and two Viva Pinata games) but those are just the original Xbox 360 versions, which is incredibly annoying as I'd love to play Jetforce Gemini on a more sensible controller but I'm not going to go hunt down an Xbox One when there's barely any other exclusives on that system worth mentioning

*my best guess is there must be some legalese issues with it since when it first came out they made a big deal about it being an Xbox One exclusive and how that was going to be the only way to play it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Quoting myself from the retro games thread;

drrockso20 posted:

Well now I'm having some issues on my RG350, can't get either Turbo-CD or Virtual Boy games to run, for the former it gets stuck on the disc loading screen, for the latter they just crash during loading back to the menu

Using the stock Retroarch cores for those systems that come with Adam and I've got what should be the right BIOS for the Turbo-CD as well

drrockso20 posted:

And now my device appears to have killed itself, when it boots up it just gets stuck eternally in the Opendingux loading screen, what the hell is going on with this stupid thing?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ok so reflashing Adam onto the internal card worked(thank goodness I hadn't put the screws* back in yet from when I had first opened it up), still can't get Virtual Boy or Turbo-CD to work though, do either of those systems require their games to be unzipped?

*kind of want to figure out an alternative to screws for this so getting into the insides is easier, but honestly I might just go buy an RG350P cause they've gotten cheap on Amazon

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 13, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cory Parsnipson posted:

drat why old hardware gotta be so weird :psyduck:

Considering the Game Gear is essentially a portable Master System with a massively expanded color pallette, it's not really that surprising that it ended up being a bit weird

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

I will disagree with everybody else itt and recommend you get something a little cheaper. An rg350 or rg280 will be more than powerful enough to play the systems you want, and you can even go cheaper if you only want to play certain games. I can personally attest that sotn runs great on a powkiddy v90

Yeah an RG350P is only 80 bucks on Amazon and probably more than good enough if you don't want or need to do PSP, Dreamcast, Saturn, or DS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

falz posted:

Sorry if this is a common request, but is there a generally agreed upon "best for $50" handheld? A friend wants one so his girl doesn't freak our on a flight, basically.

Ideally something that comes with a bunch of games and doesn't totally suck rear end, that's about it.

This one looks promising but seems to have poo poo reviews.

https://retro-bit.com/goretro-portable

If you don't mind spending a bit more money(about 80 bucks) the RG350P would probably be perfect for your needs if you don't mind doing a little work to get it optimally setup for both software and games