Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Retro goons, is there a small touchscreen working android based game console with dpad/joystick. Kind of like that pawkiddy x-something console but smaller. I actually want to find an real android phone console (with working google play store) to controll the Tello drone.

Right now my option is get a USBC controller for my real phone. For once in my life I want Sony make a update for the Xperia Play. God I hate that piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Thanks, missed this one. I just ordered 2 touchscreen joysticks from Amazon. I will try this ghetto solution first.

Does GDP...GPD made an older android device? And it also has play store support?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
One of my 3 phones doesn't have access to the google play store. Is there an alternate app to the paid version of Octopus I can sideload?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you want used 845 855 hardware to play emulation, IME the cheapest are used LG phones.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Disappointing Pie posted:

That RetroDodo guy sucks. He copy and pasted other articles without actually reading them and does tons of click bait.

Russ with RetroGameCorps all the way!

Yeah but I have watched too many of his videos now I am sick of his openning Jingle.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This is my retro jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSsm4g3kNIA

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is there a thread of smartphone emulation? If not I will post it here.

Got a gamesir x2 usbc gamepad and tried it on my 3 year old sd845 phone. Tried some wii games and I have no loving idea how to map the wii control schemes to the gamepad. However the gamepad is nearly identical to the gamecube controller layout. Tried a couple racing games and they play pretty well. IMO console racing games are way better than the android ones because the control is designed with a controller in mind. Smartphone racing games are basically 2-3 buttons tap tap tap games, no matter how good they good. And IMO phone games only have good resolution, in term of production value and music and poo poo they are just cheap.

Now I am hyped for getting a sd870 or 888 phone soon and run gamecube games in upscaled resolution. Gamecubes library is basically cutdown PS2 library, so I can still get partial PS2 fix.

edit: this video clued me in how to setup the wii control.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 15, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This steam monster doesn't look portable at all!

Question about just using it as home Steam box to play steam games on a 1080p TV, is it roughly the power of PS4.5, something like that? I haven't touched console gaming since my kid was born.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I still think smartphone has killed the standalone handheld market, kind of like how nobody buys points-and-shoot anymore, unless you are that one youtuber who need to use a RX100 camera.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I open the mailbox everyday and get surprise package from aliexpress all the time. Some of them weird poo poo was so long ago I had forgotten about.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

That loving Sned posted:

The SD870 is fantastic for GC and Wii emulation at 1x and 2x resolution, and has no problems with Saturn, DC and PSP games at even higher resolutions.

The most powerful is the SD888 but I heard it can throttle on high load
Just below that is the SD865, 865+ and 870, which basically all use the same chip with some clock speed differences
Then there's the SD855, 855+ and 860

I tried the Poco X3 Pro with the 860, but Dolphin was just too slow and stuttery for most games. I returned it for the Poco F3 with the 870 which has been incredible. Nearly everything I've tried except F-ZERO GX runs almost perfectly, even Metroid Prime 1 and 2. However, I expect The Last Story and the Rogue Squadron games would still have trouble.

Good to hear, how much RAM your Poco F3 have? Can you tell me your Dolphin graphical setting?

I am thinking of getting a Motorola edge S (SD870, 6GB/8GB options, pretty good 4G band coverage), or maybe a SD888 phone.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rolo posted:

I’ve said it elsewhere but I think the Steam Deck is way too ugly for me. Whoever said Nomad nailed it.

I want it to be hugely successful though. I want the switch to have some competition, even if it’s a little, to drive change and more companies looking at making cool handheld consoles.

I travel a ton for work and I love my PS5 but my 351V, hacked 3DS and Switch are my jam. My absolute jam.

Yeah portable gadgets being decent looking to strangers is very important.

Those PC base $1000 gaming handhelds are probably not ergonomically but much better looking. They should make one of those, but offer the grip as an accessories. Also put the weird track pads on the grip.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 16, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can the 399 version emulation Switch, PS2 and PS3 games off sd card?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Taki from youtube is teasing a upcoming "$199 kickstarter android" handheld device, supposedly it has high end snapdragon chip, so lets throw out a wild guess it has $199/sd855/4gb and $299/sd865/8gb options. It should be able to emulate limited PS2 titles, probably no Switch emulation, compare to the $399 Steam Deck, but all the old consoles probably will run about the same.

You can also spend under $400 for an used LG V60 and an usbc controller.

The Steam thing is ugly but it can run all Steam games, and probably emulate The Last of US, so that's your deciding factors right there.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 16, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I was on the preorder page for a good 20 minute trying different payment options before I could put in 5 bux.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The wifi version of 351 let you let coop with 2 machines? Is it easy to setup coop between 2 machines?

Have they made a smaller version of 351 in smaller form factor?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's the chance of Anbernic making a "301m/p/x" with a left analogue dish in the future?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So the RGB 10 Max can only play half of the PSP games well? Why even have a 16x9 screen? I am surprised the Retro guy gave the no 1 spot to it over the 351 trio.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rolo posted:

Here’s a hands-on of the Play Date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ykEZ_iExGY

It looks fun.

WTF, the hand crank doesn't generate power? It's just a joystick?

And it's black and white? The whole thing is way too hipster. Does it even play OG Gameboy game so it's a retro handheld.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So the RG300x and the pawkiddie mini q20 are basically the same thing?

Why does pawkiddie's lineup naming scheme make no sense? Well it's a redundant question why would anyone call themselves PAWkiddy?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
RG stands for retro gaming. This is the Germany name scheme.

They hosed it up with the "x" letter though. Should have been "p" or "h" for horizontal.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 26, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
IMO if your Android Handheld is not powerful enough to emulate dolphin/gamecube/wii you should just get a smaller cheaper Handheld that does PSP and below.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Question about the 351 series. How easy is it to setup cross save and "retro achievement" if I want to play on both the 351 handheld and a nvidia shield box?

Does the 351 has any obvious shortcoming that need to be addressed by the next revision, or is this like the "Gameboy Advanced SP with a new screen" of the 3rd party handheld which is perfect by my definition?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

zzMisc posted:

Retro Achievements works fine, but only while online. If you play on your 351 while on the go away from wifi, you won't get any achievements while away. That's a limitation of how they work and AFAIK isn't something that can ever be resolved.

Cross saves aren't a thing really, at all. I have a winscp script set up that syncs saves between 351 an a folder on my PC, which I have to manually launch; from there, I have Syncthing sharing that folder out to everything else. 351Elec is working on cloud saves, I believe to gdrive and maybe dropbox, but I haven't messed with it, and I don't know if that'll interact with any other systems automatically without some sort of script.

Bummer about the cross save. I think I am going to wait for next version of 351m which should have better compatibility with PSP.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Lester Shy posted:

I think I'm gonna return my RG351P. It works great, feels good to hold and does exactly what it's supposed to, but it just murders my eyes; I really underestimated how small the screen is. I've been spoiled by the Switch and huge phones. It doesn't help that most of the stuff I want to play is text-heavy. I may just have to wait for the Steam Deck.

Get a usbc controller for your phone. Or sign up for that Odin Kickstarter

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There is no emulation performance difference between the OG Shield and the new Shield pro, just get an OG Shield for cheap. You can buy the controller and new remote separately if you want, both of them are much better remote than the OG remote.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
He sound like he has a young kid, I had no idea he is almost retire.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Boxman posted:

I mean, military retirement after 21 years usually just means that they take the pension and start a second career. Dude’s probably in his early 40s still.

I’m more surprised there was a dog I hadn’t seen

WTF there is a dog, mind blown. I am surprised youtube hasn't recommended that to me.

Slightly on topic, I watched a few higher end emulation videos recently. Do you guys agree around $300 the Xbox SS is the best emulation option (up to PS2/gamecube/PSP etc).

Up to $100 IMO whatever android box you have access to or used nvidia sheld. I am not sure about $200 price point.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 4, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Any desktop box of any vintage (outside of Chromebook box) should be able to run dolphin and ppsspp. And if you have a newish x86 box, you should be able to emulate ps2. If you have a high-end Snapdragon Android phone, you can pay a scammy dev :$10: and get half rear end ps2 emulation.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think all the 351 devices have pretty thick bezels, Anbernic still has a couple revisions left to push the bezel to the edge. I hate companies leave thick bezel on their devices so they can put their names on it. Sony is guilty of this.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Why wouldn't they just add $30 worth of cellphone hardware on it and make it a phone? You probably can make call with blutooth and google voice on it already.

This is exactly the same size as a modern phone (which all have the 6.7" screen nowadays) plus the Gamesir x2 controller. 7000mah is like 40% more than a phone battery, so this is heavier too.

I have doubt of mediatek's emulation power since most android emulators are optimized for snapdragon. How much was the list price of the last GPD android thing?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Ok so the SD845 model is basically a Samsung s9 class phone. Since I have a Xiaomi mix2s which has a SD845, IME it will play most Gamecube games and maybe half of the Wii games thru Dolphin mmj. It's not going to be able to run Damon PS2 and Egg Switch emulators.

I don't want to poo poo on this project since its IMO a better design than the new GPD thing. However if you have a newish Snapdragon phone already, you are probably better of getting a USBC gamepad. Keep in mind connecting the gamepad to the phone and turn on the apps will take like 10-20 seconds. So if you just want a dedicated handheld, this is still better.

If you are on a slow prepaid phone and just want to get a SD845 855 phone, you can find a LG G7, G8 for cheap.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think the Odin lite is the best deal. But my wifi router is too slow to let me play cloud game over wifi and I got burn last time I brought thru indiegogo (Scooter company never sent the 2nd charger and never replied to my emails, happened to other people too.) So I decided to sit this one out no matter how cheap it is.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you are going to make a HDD into the shape of a cassette tape, why don't you make the console into a Sony cassette player? Miss opportunity.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah you can get all kind of small form factor Rizen box you can emulate anything up to PS3/Switch. And at the point the hobby is really close to PS gaming, people rather do the tinkering themselves. This thread doesn't post ETA Prime video but he is specialized in testing that kind of boxes.

Dedicated gaming handhelds kinda make sense up to $300 (like that Odin handheld) because at this particular point in time there is no first party handheld solution outside of Switch (modded Switch with a lousy D-pad).

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

The United States posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwd7WCu-588

Analysis of how powerful the Snapdragon 845 is

Jeez he tried PS2 games and 2D switch games WTF. I was told Colossus run like poo poo on DamonPS2 so I never bother to try it. Maybe I will give it a try.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

No, I'm just serious lacking in fingernails, I tried that but I guess I didn't push in hard enough. Well that makes things easy, thanks.

Can't you use a Philip driver?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you ordered from alirxpress, its very easy to get full refund afer the delivery window expire.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Warbird posted:

The Mrs. is Chinese so she ordered from Jingdo which is a competitor to taobao or whatever Alibaba’s ecom thing is. The usual process is to buy your stuff and have a dedicated shipping company get it into a storage container to be shipped over with a bunch of other stuff to save on cost. Then about a month later you drive a half hour to some rando’s house and get your box of whatever out of their garage/porch.

Seems the logistics company is/was moving warehouses so it either got shipped at the top of the month or it’s………somewhere. :iiam:

That's why I don't buy from taobao or other Chinese websites. Many moons ago I used to ask my family in China buy stuff and mail them to me themselves. Later I figured the trouble is not worth the tiny saving from Aliexpress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They probably can fit a 4" 640x480 screen to that frame.

And make the logo smaller.