Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don’t forget the RG280V, which actually is pocketable. It has a different layout and no right stick though, so that may be a dealbreaker for some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Weedle posted:

all the 351s run what’s basically a fork of retropie (retroarch with the emulationstation front end)

yep! https://retrogamecorps.com/2020/12/24/guide-retroarch-on-rg350-and-rg280-devices/

Is there an advantage to using retroarch on the RG series?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

So if you wanted a emulation machine to hook up to your TV this seems like your best best for sub $100.

https://youtu.be/cUDMYOboDbM

Pretty painless all in all.

I’ve got access to like 50 of these. Batocera Beowulf cluster time :getin:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know if any of these newer emulator handhelds support Bluetooth audio? I’m so tired of wires, I just want to use my AirPods with everything. I understand there can be a little lag with Bluetooth, but it doesn’t bother me for most games.

You pretty much need a Vita or an android device for that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RG280V but that’s a bit more expensive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao that article is actually pretty drat interesting

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there any alternate firmware that’s good for the RG280V?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GPD XD+ checks every single box you’re talking about.

Small. This is relative, but it’s the size of a 3ds xl

Dpad/joysticks: check. The joysticks are the same as the Vita as far as I can tell

Google Play: Check. It’s a full-fat android device.

They can also be upgraded to Android 10: https://obscurehandhelds.com/2021/03/a-look-at-the-gpd-xd-hardware/

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 7, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, there is the GPD XD (non-plus) that is the same formfactor with less powerful internals

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The United States posted:

Looks like the Trimui got improved and price dropped, which makes it competitive for an ultra tiny ultra slim portable in the $50~ category

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sifOcAqpQg8

Does this have a headphone port?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

oldskool posted:

Why does Steam Deck have touchpads at all? I understood doing it on the controller as a "Let's see if this takes off as a concept" thumbstick substitute but....now you have two thumbsticks, and a touchscreen.

Also it might just be a perspective thing but those sticks look like they're a mile away from the edges & it'll be cutting into your hands to reach them.

Let us not forget that outside of the Valve Index, every single valve hardware thing has failed spectacularly.

There’s a chance this will as well, although I’d argue that “switch but a pc!!” momentum will carry it pretty far

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

flavor.flv posted:

I don't want it, but I respect it

This is absolutely my feeling as well. I’m not going to buy one, but I’m glad it exists and I’m glad the market that it’s aimed at will enjoy it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Introducing the new “ChildPuncher Retroslap 420”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

THE REAL OBJECT *lightning crack* SHALL PREVAIL

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is the best OS and setup for an RG280V? I have the stock OS yet, and back when I bought it there were rumblings of other things being ported to it, but I havent really kept up since then

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

flavor.flv posted:

I don't know why half of these things come in translucent plastic, but not purple

I had to dye this thing myself like a peasant

What is that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At this point the analogue pocket is ripping powkiddy off

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a razer Kishi-like controller for micro-usb?

I happened upon a Galaxy S7 Edge, and it must have been like the last phone made with micro-usb, because it’s not super old but it still has it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The guy who glued game cases to his 3DS is back, baby!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

“Our potential future product will run ~S O F T W A R E~” is a very good troll announcement

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Disappointing Pie posted:

You guys get the game choice paralysis with these devices just like with your Steam collection? I’ll play a game for a couple minutes and just bounce around before just giving up playing anything. :(

Yes. Then I just fire up super Mario world for the 8 billionth time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

The Miyoo Mini is back up for sale.

$52

US $52.00 | MIYOO-mini Portable Retro Handheld Game Console 2.8 Inch IPS HD Screen Gaming Console for Player Machine Classic Gaming Emulator
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKAVRJe

I picked one up because :homebrew:

Is there any reason to buy this if you already have an rg280v?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stan Taylor posted:

I only had issues with emulators on vita. Even something like Advance Wars had graphical glitches and stuff. Really stinks. Psp games are fun, but honestly there’s not much on a vita to make it worth it. Get it if you’re thinking about buying a psp and it’s not much more but ehhhhh. It’s library is really small especially if you’re not a weeb.

Definitely wouldn’t recommend it to someone who is mostly interested in handheld emulation. (New)3ds runs gba and snes games better, and has a much much better library overall.

Between Vita games, PSP, and Playstation, there is a ton to play on the Vita, but yeah, if you want to use it to play 16 bit games and/or GBA, its not great for that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The RG280V rules and would be great for a kid

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They’re stealing the pronunciation of Archive, which may not be entirely incorrect? :iiam:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

I’d get the Miyoo Mini honestly.

I dont know that I would because Russ complains about the SNES and GBA performance of the Miyoo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Child’s toy that requires hours of janitoring

It’s part of it I guess

I just yesterday moved my 280v over to Adam, so here’s hoping it works

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will never reveal the secret life of machines

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am to the point with these retro handhelds that the way I'm getting my retro fix whilst lying in bed is to have a Wii-U shoved under my nightstand that I use to play stuff from the Virtual console and also slowly pick my way through my 80th BOTW playthrough.

Its surprisingly needs suiting, especially since (I believe) every single Zelda game is available on the system natively, I'm pretty OK with the N64 VC library that it has, without resorting to WAD injections, and everything before that it can emulate well.

The wii-u was right there all along

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh wow, those are not cheap

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The United States posted:

More reviews of the first Funkey S clone, the Powkiddy Q36 mini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfUL1Qb84RM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKnFsQULALE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9HwdhvCt-o

It may not be as thin as the Trimui/A66, but I gather it wins the "tiny gameboy micro sized device with a way too tiny screen" category simply due to using the Funkey OS.

Maybe YOU don't want the xbox-style "face button melting off the side of the controller" look but the people are CLAMORING for it!

All of these super tiny clones are forgetting a headphone jack which makes it an instant no buy from me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

Are you a clickbait article writer?

Famiclone sucked me off?!?!?!?!?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Valve really gave the competition a big leg up by delaying the steam deck

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s $10 and if it’s fake return it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A shield portable, a shield tablet, or a shield set-top box?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I literally never think of the notch on my phone

“NO BEZELS!” Is how you get those goofy android phones with useless wraparound screens. The bezels just get pushed to the back of the phone

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Arse technibutt

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The one second microstutter infuriated me in Mario kart 8 on Wii U, this would be a dealbreaker for me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Manufacturers haven’t topped the rg280v yet :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The old screen was pretty regularly dinged for being "foggy", whatever that means