Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My nephew has become absolutely obsessed with Pokemon, despite never having played any of the games. He has a few Pokemon books he's read several times over and even created an Onix vs. Pikachu diorama to give to us when we saw him last week.* He has been driving his parents insane leaving Charmander vs. Pikachu battle posters all over their house and forcing them to watch him smash dinosaur figures together at very specific times of the week. We considered giving them our Switch and some games, since we don't play it very often, but he has 4 younger siblings that will probably destroy it and it would cost a fortune in controllers alone. Without getting too personal, one member of the family is a dissenting member of a super religious family that thinks technology is an affront to God, so they regularly have to hide away their single 13-year-old 32" LCD TV whenever family visits. A Switch, dock, controllers, etc. are all too much for them to move on short notice.

Is the RG35XX probably the best option at this point in time? The stock OS and Garlic both have RTC support for Pokemon G/S and later. It's going to be used for one Pokemon game and maybe a few edutainment games (probably along the lines of Mickey's Ultimate Challenge), not filled with huge ROM collections spanning several systems. Is there any way to lock down any of these OS so that he doesn't inadvertantly break things? Ideally, I would like to use Garlic's underclock feature to try and increase the battery life, but if there's no way to keep advanced options locked off after doing so, I might need to look into MinUI's guest mode.

Speaking of guest mode, that leads to other issues like not being able to save properly. I read a comment earlier about how Pokemon R/B/Y can't be completed on this unit due to the forced save during the Elite Four/Victory Road stuff. Am I misunderstanding the issue or can in-game saves really not be used?

In terms of forward thinking, I have been considering how to make this slightly more kidproof. I've already decided that, since I have to buy better MicroSD cards anyway, I'll pick up two 16-32GB cards, set the device up for single card usage, and once it's all good to go, clone the MicroSD so the parents have a backup when one of the toddlers inevitably ejects and loses the MicroSD card. He'll lose his saves, but at least the device won't be totally dead. Also considering trying to put a small piece of plastic underneath a piece of tape and sticking it over the slot. If I use just a piece of tape, I think it'll still get ejected. Going to open it up and place some small strips of electrical tape across the d-pad contacts so the accidental diagonals are, hopefully, not as big of an issue.

The Miyoo Mini looked perfect for him in regards to size, but that ship has sailed. It also has pretty janky RTC support, so it probably wasn't the best option in this particular instance. I've also considered grabbing a 280V. It's slightly more expensive and I'm not sure it'd be as comfortable for him to hold. I'm not confident the Powkiddy V90's hinge would hold up to temporarily raging siblings, either. It absolutely doesn't need to play PSX games at 60 FPS or whatever, so if there's an older model I'm overlooking that sounds like a better fit, I would greatly appreciate any info. I think GBA is probably the most recent system it needs to be able to emulate and, by the time he grows out of this unit, it will probably be time for a family console.

*Onix won, not because it is a ground type, but because it is heavy and smashed Pikachu with its rocks. Pikachu has a message taped above his head that says "Pikachu is unable to battle."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I ordered an RG35XX and a MicroSD card today. I'm excited to set everything up. If it works well, I might consider offloading my imported Ice Silver OLED Vita to help pay for a couple more units--one for his dad and one for me. :)

Saoshyant posted:

This is a thing of beauty.

To add to your questions, go with Pokemon Crystal patched with the Polished Crystal mod (improves the experience a lot) and plain Emerald. Those two will have the best selection of mons + stories that can run on cheap emulation devices.

True Pokemon masters must suffer through R/B/Y first.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

I gambled on one of those new Amazon seller accts (specifically the one with a 16% off coupon) and, sure enough, a gray RG35XX showed up today. Thought I was gonna get a packet of mystery seeds or something.

The sticker on the back says it has a 2600mAh battery, too. Gonna set up Garlic OS on a new card and check it out.

I expected the screen to look a lot worse than it does. There's virtually no backlight bleeding in dark scenes, even with the brightness cranked. Cannot believe how good this kid is gonna have it. I would have flipped my poo poo for something like this. Probably gonna buy one for myself. Thanks again for the advice, everyone. Maybe I will have mercy on him and load up the romhack instead of making him suffer through first gen.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

claw game handjob posted:

GarlicOS. It's only a few titles now, but it does seem like I might be pushing the edge of this hardware.

I can't remember if it is start or select, but you can press one in the main menu to change between 5 power/clock profiles. If you haven't already, try a game with the + or ++ profile. You can tell which one you're using (- -, -, normal, +, or ++) by looking at the battery icon. Just be sure to change it back to normal when playing less powerful software like NES, GBC, or SNES unless you wanna kill off the battery faster for no real reason.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

It is the "too low of a charge to boot" icon and also probably important to note that you need storage inserted with either the stock OS or Garlic OS for it to charge.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

You can use chd, pbp, bin/cue, img, mdf, toc, cbn, m3u, or ccd. Make sure they are in the folder labeled "PS" and the file extension must be lowercase. The bios just goes in the catch-all bios folder. If you have Game.CHD, for example, it won't work. Needs to be named Game.chd.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

Why is everything so loving uptight about this poo poo. There are predefined solutions for file extension parsing, is this just the most tedious of gatekeeping file janitors in charge of these projects?

Not sure. This is for OnionOS (miyoo mini), but also applies to GarlicOS (rg35xx). It is a list of each supported system and lists supported extensions, directories, and sometimes quirks.

Edit: ^ probably this. Also why phantasy star online 2 runs like rear end on the Steam Deck, I believe.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

The last time I used a dpad like that was when the cybiko was a contemporary device

I have one of these. It is clurple. I saved up for about a year and added all of my holiday money to that to buy one. The port where the power adapter connects broke the first or second time I tried to charge it. The retailer (stupid staples) would not swap it out or let me return it. To make things worse, they never bothered sending the mp3 player attachment that was part of the promo after sending them even more money. Top 5 most bitter moments of my life. Thank you for the reminder.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

flavor.flv posted:

The latest custom firmware for the RG nano / funkey s comes with the greatest game selection UI I have ever seen

If you have access to a PCVR headset, this is pretty cool.

You can put videos in a folder and they show up as VHS tapes. Your game labels get applied as the cart/CD labels. It isn't very quick though because you have to connect the VCR and consoles to whichever CRT you choose. You can get mad at red arremer, turn off the system, and chuck the cart across the room.

I grabbed a bunch of posters and ads from old game mags on archive and put em up on the walls, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

TadBradley posted:

You got screenshots of your space? Sounds cool as hell

I had a pretty cool video that actually showcased it in VR, but I just deleted it last week. Luckily, I was wrong and you do not need a PCVR headset connected. It's Unity, so there's a desktop app if you can suffer autocad-esque controls. I deleted most of my custom textures, too.

Customization options:

Carts - 3D-rendered cartridges that show up in the menu you use to spawn the games
Labels - CD and cartridge labels (these were a pain to setup, but I also did it two years ago and it seems there are entire label set links in the EmuVR wiki, sorted by system and region)
Posters - 31 different locations available, but only 4 of them are side-by-side for hot two-page poster action
Bed sheets and pillows
Ceiling textures, including one with the glow-in-the-dark green stars
Floor texture, including the cheap bowling alley/arcade carpet
TV - 70s, 80s, 90s or Sony PVM

Admittedly, I haven't bothered checking to see what has been added in over two years. I configured everything in February 2022 so there may have been quite a bit more added since then.

vvvv: it's also the purest way, save for maybe time travel, to experience the PLAYSTATION UNDERGROUND. Virtually eating cheetos paws while watching videos of Stewart Copeland making Spyro's music or a long PSA on how game piracy is ruining the industry, mere years away from having your PS2 memory card wiped for having the gall to play the Viewtiful Joe demo

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 14, 2024