Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody have an Anbernic 353P? I have a 351MP and I really wanted to like it, but I'm not crazy about the weight and form factor. The 353P looks like it'll fit the bill, and I like that it's dual-boot. I'm not looking for anything beyond PS1 performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What's the 3rd party dev support like for Anbernic these days? I've heard mixed things

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://anbernic.com/collections/christmas-sale

Anbernic is having a sale through 12/15, $5 off and it can be combined with other sale prices

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Which has better controls, Miyoo Mini Plus or RG35XX?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think I'm gonna go with the Miyoo Mini+, I already have a 353P on the way for Christmas and it might be fun to try something not Anbernic (My collection is like 4 Anbernic devices and a PocketGo) that's also very pocketable. Seems like there's a good support community for it too

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Russ and other reviewers were saying the v4 was kinda crap compared to the previous iterations so just beware

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Retroid quietly released a metal version of the Pocket 2S apparently? $150 seems steepish when you get an RP4 for the same price

https://www.goretroid.com/products/retroid-pocket-2s-metal-edition-handheld

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Is there any appreciable difference between the 3gb vs. 4gb Pocket 2s? There was a price decrease and I'm intrigued

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If anybody here uses an Xbox as an emulation station 8bitdo is releasing a compatible version of their fantastic M30 controller.

Comes out 12/26, $35 via Amazon or 8bitdo

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Got a brand new RG353P with a nice dead vertical line down the screen, hooray

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've had the 353P for a few weeks now and I'm very happy with it. It's very comfortable in the hands and doesn't feel cheap. It feels like an SNES controller.

I'm running JelOS and I've mostly used it for 16-bit gaming, but I tried out Daytona USA for Saturn last night and it ran great. I remember trying it out on my 351 devices and it was virtually unplayable, so this was a nice surprise.

I'm just starting to tinker with the Android side so I don't have much to say about it yet. Overall though, this was a very nice upgrade from the 351 series.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Coming to a Five Below near you

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The RG353PS is also an option. Same body as the P but there's no Android or touchscreen, just Linux. It can be had for under $100.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is there a good place to buy a grip for the Miyoo? I think that'd come in useful.
Check out Etsy, I know there's a couple of sellers with grips and bumpers. I can't speak firsthand for quality though because I didn't pull the trigger on any, so check reviews

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hasn't the Polymega been out for a few years now? If so that's really concerning it still has the issues it does

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've had an ongoing issue with my 353P where sometimes the battery percentage doesn't report correctly in Linux (JelOS). Booting to Android and letting it fully charge seems to remedy this.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

jkq posted:

Genuinely curious - why keep it running JELOS? I'm running GammaOS on mine.
I honestly haven't put too much thought into it. I just went with JelOS out of the box because it just seemed like the thing to do. I'll give Gamma a shot though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I only use the Hori Split Pad Pro in lieu of joycons when I'm using it as a handheld. The only downsides are no rumble or tilt controls but for most games I play on the go it's just fine

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

repiv posted:

im mostly just confused as to why nintendo waited so long to do this, the switch just turned 7 years old, it's going to be replaced soon anyway

it's reminiscent of them waiting years to do anything about freeshop and only breaking it right at the end of the 3DSes life
I think it's a tell that the Switch 2 will probably be very similar from a code perspective

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah, the JelOS statement reads as if they're tired of doing this and scaling down, but using the Yuzu thing as a bit of an excuse, which does seems a tad excessive

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3VroWBMefE

"Pointless"

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

RGB30 havers, how is it over time? I keep circling back to wanting one for Gameboy and 8/16 bit stuff.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Someone on Amazon is selling the black version of the Anbernic RG ARC-D (the one that looks like a Sega controller) for $70 USD.

The seller also has the other color and model variants listed for $120-$140. This is the higher spec'd of the two model variants. It seems odd and I'm not sure if it's entirely legit, but this is the cheapest I've seen it being sold anywhere by far and Amazon's return policy is relatively hassle free so I'm rolling the dice.

I should have it tonight so I'll update regarding legitimacy.

Update: it's legit

link to listing

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 29, 2024

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

I have the S with CFW and I love it
Which CFW are you using?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Anbernic RG ARC-D for $70 USD is back up on Amazon in case anybody missed it prior

link

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Substandard posted:

Has anyone got the ARC-D and tried it out yet? I almost pulled the trigger last time and am waffling on if I need yet another one of these. If it could play Saturn well I'd probably be all in, but the reviews seem to come down somewhere between "most stuff works OK", and "don't bother".

Still looks real nice for genesis stuff though.
Granted I haven't had too much of a chance to tinker with mine yet, but so far I really like it. Big buttons, decent 4" display, very comfortable to hold. CFW development is a bit behind compared to other similarly powered devices, but RetroArena is coming along and there's GammaOS support for the Android side. I play mostly 8/16 bit era stuff and so far it's a champ.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 29, 2024

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vitas are fairly easy to jailbreak and add CFW to now. I don't think it does anything particularly better than the devices you mentioned. Maybe PSP games.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So I'm having a bewildering issue with my RG353P and it's probably something I'm doing wrong but I'm not seeing it.

I needed an SD card for something temporarily and used my JelOS SD card. It's a Samsung card, not the stock one with the original firmware. I do have a dual SD card setup. When I was done, I went to go reinstall JelOS and move on with my life.

Reflash and put it in -- boots directly to Android.
Re-reflash -- same thing.
Try Rocknix -- same thing.
Try both with a Sandisk card - same thing.

Try the stock SD card with original firmware -- it boots just fine.

Rinse and repeat the prior steps - still directly going to Android.

I tried win32diskimager, I tried Balena, I formatted the cards with SD Formatter. I'm stumped. I'm gonna try again. But I'm stumped.

edit: ArkOS works?

shyduck fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 2, 2024

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Make sure you're deleting all the partitions, I guess?
Yep, made sure, all checked out.

I did get ArkOS to work just now so.... yeah I don't know what happened

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's apparently the goat for JRPGs but if you don't like those it's kind of forgettable. I bought one around launch and only ever owned like 3 games for it, although FIFA was cool because you could aim your shots with the rear touchpad

Also they sell SD card converters now, which is nice because Sony gonna Sony and their memory sticks cost a hilarious amount

shyduck fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

If the d-pad got top placement I'd be all over it