Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I've got an older GPD XD, still running on KitKat with Legacy Rom. Any upgrade options out there in the form of a newer rom image that I might have missed?
This device has been a very capable workhorse over the last couple of years even with an outdated rom and OS, and I use it literally daily, but I'd love to be able to add newer, more recent apps to the Android system... I can't even update Retroarch at this point.

(also thanks to those posting their various hardware reviews, whenever I end up buying a new device, this thread has been a plethora of good info to take into consideration)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

uiruki posted:

There's someone on Patreon called Black-Seraph who does images for a few systems and they have a beta of AOSP 9.0 for the base XD. I don't know if it's any good as I haven't tried it and as far as I can tell you need to sub to the Patreon for the files, but if you're OK with a bit of tinkering it might be worth a shot and subbing for a month. They're also doing LineageOS builds for the Powkiddy X18s which is as close as you're going to get to a successor device right now.

You've at least pointed me in the right direction. Cheers!

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

uiruki posted:

There's someone on Patreon called Black-Seraph who does images for a few systems and they have a beta of AOSP 9.0 for the base XD. I don't know if it's any good as I haven't tried it and as far as I can tell you need to sub to the Patreon for the files, but if you're OK with a bit of tinkering it might be worth a shot and subbing for a month. They're also doing LineageOS builds for the Powkiddy X18s which is as close as you're going to get to a successor device right now.

Just wanted to mention that this was indeed extremely helpful. Didn't require too much tinkering at all to get flashed and up and running.
With a newer version of Android I can do this through Xbox's cloud streaming, so that's pretty drat cool. Not to mention better emulation possibilities.

Wee Bairns fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 17, 2022

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I'm sure it's been brought up a dozen times, but if I wanted to buy a new RP2+, what would be the best bet for fast shipping and decent pricing? I'm in Canada, if that narrows down choices.

I love my old GPD XD, but even with a new build of Android flashed, it's still getting long in the teeth for more demanding emulation. The battery, while still good for a couple of hours gameplay, is starting to show its age. Everything up to PS1 have run beautifully on this little beast and with the new update I can even run Xbox Gamepass through it, but I'm looking to move things up a notch, and the RP2+ looks to be a good solution for me.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Thicc.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

After initially wanting a Retroid, but being dismayed at the (at the time) shipping delays, I picked up a 351p on a whim and I loving love the little thing. AmberElec is pretty snappy with the beta builds being surprisingly stable, with some decent performance bumps over the stable release. (Especially psp).
Gameboy Advance looks so good at native resolution on that screen to my eyes, and that's all that matters.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

How are the screens on the Miyoo Mini, in-hand? I'd saw conflicting reviews when they first started appearing that the screen was either fantastic or a bit on the hazy side.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

If they just vertically swapped the pad/buttons with the analog sticks, it would be fine. But in that configuration I'd be already taking pain meds in preparation for a play session.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Most of my library is playable single-stick, but that second right stick is a godsend for the c buttons of N64 emulation, in my books.

If the Miyoo rumour is true, maybe the horizontal form factor might result in some better shoulder buttons.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Start and/or Select on the top of a device instead of the face would instantly be a no-buy from me. With the amount of use they get, that's a hard pass.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Probably been answered long ago, but is there a decent (or any file browser for Android that'll read an SD card and all of its partitions, specifically like the partitions created by AmberElec?
At home, no biggie to plug it in to my pc, but on the go I'd like to be able to patch a rom, plug an SD reader into my phone and transfer the roms over. Then back over to the 351p. Every file browser I've tried doesn't read anything but the first partition.
I'm sure this dumb, and I don't want to tinker with wireless setups or file transfers, and this would hypothetically be ideal in my use case.

And gently caress, also I'm awful close to biting the bullet for a Steamdeck...

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Fair enough, good to know! Thanks.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I actually don't mind Anbernic's shoulders that much; on my trusty 351p my index fingers kinda hug the shoulder-1's comfortably, and I can easily tap the 2's with my index fingertips.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Honestly I'm not sure I'll replace my 351P until there's something that can run most PS2 and GameCube decently enough with a good battery life for similar pricing (so probably a couple years).

I know now there's more chips that can play PSP and Dreamcast better and while there's a few games in the libraries for both that would be fun to play on the go, it's just not worth it while there's a ton of PS2 stuff I'd love to play on a bus or something.

Hell by that time I probably could just pick up a used Gen 1 Steam Deck for relatively cheap.

This is exactly where I'm at. For day to day use, my 351p kicks portable rear end, cheap enough I don't worry about babying it, but competent enough to run most everything I'd want to play on the go; and I can't see myself updating again until maaaaybe a RP4 down the road, (and provided the start/select aren't on top again).

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

This looks right up my alley, my old GPD XD was pretty much this, and was a joy to play on. I'm rocking an Anbernic 351P at the moment, a great lil device, but I'd love better PSP and N64 performance.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Just a rumor at this point, and I never picked up the original GBA SP clamshell portables, but I might pick up one of these, once final colors are revealed.

Miyoo Flip?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

She cleans up real nice.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

This is what I've been waiting to replace my trusty 351p with, especially if I can stream Gamepass games as well. The 3's placement of start/select was an annoyingly tiny but deal-breaking detail that I'm glad to see changed back.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Even if it only has the specs of the original, I'm going to be all over that.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Those L/R2 buttons on that Powkiddy look like they're going to be impossible to use, (common complaint on a lot of smaller ones) though most games it can run probably wouldn't need em anyways.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Rolo posted:

The battery on my hacked 3DS is wild. Decided I wanted to play some Castlevania today and it’s still charged after a year of being off in a drawer.

I was packing up some stuff two or three days ago, stumbled upon my old, original NDS and the little fucker still had probably a quarter charge even after having been tucked away for probably five years or longer. Hell, it's likely closer to 6-7 years tbh.

And last I checked, about a year ago, my original NES Legend of Zelda still had what looked to be usable save games on it...

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The initial batches with the janky hinges probably turned off a lot potential buyers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I'm just waiting to see who drops a flip device first, Anbernic or PooooowKiddy. Just give me that sweet sweet SP form factor with mid-decent performance.