Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hi I just found out about this thread and read the last page or so

Is there a product like (or maybe this already does it) the Miyoo Mini Plus to do big picture mode and play Dave the Diver or similar games. Specifically the vertical format not the switch/deck horizontal style? I guess the standard format is moonlight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

njsykora posted:

Vertical format devices pretty much are always 4:3, so never ideal for Moonlight stuff.

Can this be resolved by setting the host output video as 4:3 or at you saying 4:3 gaming is dead

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

You want the Retroid Pocket Flip. It's the size of a Nintendo DS, folds just fine into your pocket like a DS, and works really well with most if not all the streaming clients (Moonlight, Steam Link, Chiaki, Xbox Gamepass).

Ah yes this is looking really good. Big step up in resolution from the rg405v (640x480) with..."4.7” touchscreen display with a resolution of 750x1334 and an excellent 450 nits backlight" seems ideal for streaming steam deck verified games from my office to the bedroom or couch. My 3 year old owns the big screen now and there's only so much octonauts or Pokemon one can watch in a week (not that we watch a lot, maybe 2 episodes?) This looks ideal thanks

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Infinitum posted:

New curse unlocked: Being annoyed at the differences in boxart not lining up after scraping

How is driver for GBC :eyepop:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Any updates on when the SP form factor devices will finally ship

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Explosionface posted:

Probably a week after everyone loses interest.

I really want one but I'm be ready to buy a steam deck in like a month at which point I won't need that anymore

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's mostly to play on the train once a week for 45 minutes

There's no open source clone of Balartro yet that will run on a retro console

:hotpickle:

My open source potato clone of into the breach will probably run on it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'd rather die than install Java in 2024

That's a pretty cool hack though

What's the cheapest retro device that will play balartro via this dirty Java hack. Probably not the SP... maybe? :ohdearsass:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 11, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

not sure I’ll need the tiny clamshell portable after I buy the six foot wide tech slab

Username post combo on point :hmmyes:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have something similar for my switch, $17 not sure the dimensions of your Device

https://a.co/d/5CCfrXm

I ended up cutting a tiny rectangle in the lid so I put it in upside down and leave it charging in the case, ready to go. In like 6 years the hole hasn't torn or grown larger, and it sees a lot of travel

Mine is Velcro, but otherwise this looks identical. I have a couple laptop sleeves that are even older and the material holds up really well, doesn't trap sand or grit

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 12, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Sorry, *third party* retro consoles are supposed to use third party cases.

New thread title imo

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Any updates on when the SP form factor devices will finally ship

Well I ordered a 353V so I'm looking forward to the SP being announced tomorrow

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The 353V arrived and... It's pretty great? Exactly as advertised

What are the standard mods I need to do? Seems like it does most everything right out of the box

Sounds like I should get it booted into Android and moonlight working on it

Is there a preferred 3D printable dock?

I was concerned about the charging situation but I have a standard 60w C-to-C Anker cable plugged into a PD Anker charger, and an apple charging cable plugged into an Anker battery thing and both charged it. My Thunderbolt 3 dock did not charge it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

I watched a youtube video recently that discussed how all the parties that invested in the cell engine in PS3 (Sony, Toshiba, IBM) ended up losing money in this venture and got out of the chip business afterward. Apple flirted with the idea of using Cell for Mac but wised up and called it off. Also some US military tried to make supercomputers with cell chips.

Link?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

plus it's in Chinese language.

That's going to make it even harder to find :negative:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

Third Party Retro Consoles: used up my unnecessary retro handheld quota for '24

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

Third Party Retro Consoles: used up my unnecessary retro handheld quota for '24

Admins really sleeping on this quality thread title

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think someone posted something about a retro achievements system that adds achievements to classic games? I looked back and can't find it please enlighten me

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What are like the top 3 "killer app" pico8 games if I wanted to peek at this stuff

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm sure this has come up countless times before but I was really surprised how identical this was compared to the OG SP and if it would trigger a lawsuit

I guess this sort of thing is defined by a "design patent" and the SP design patent would have expired in 2017 or 18 in most countries particularly the US and Japan. I'm not a patent lawyer though

Of note, Japan trademarked the image of an DMG-01 but that was to license things like keychains apparently

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rolo posted:

Had anbernic started making devices that charge USB C to C?

My very recently purchased RG363V is almost exclusively charged via USBC to C off an Anker battery bank

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

repiv posted:

does it work with the cable in both orientations, and with 5A e-marked cables

It worked in both directions, tested just now; it's a Google Pixel charging cable off unknown vintage (I've had several pixels), that very recently got run over in my driveway. Presumably Google Pixel cables are the gold standard as they've been publishing their connector designs license free to promote the standard since 2015/16 but I could be wrong

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are there any SP specific semi-hardshell travel cases for the SP on Amazon

Most results show up as "SP GBA SP" or similar which means the SP will be bouncing around in a slot designed for a larger device, probably

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

The SP doesn’t need a case because they built the case around the device.

/Looks in the general direction of my toddler sitting on the ground, smashing rocks together

:hmmno:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rolo posted:

RetroHandhelds is reporting that the SP starts at 58.99 and ships May 22nd.

Can you link to this? I can't find it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I'm legit going to grab one of these for my Nephew at some point.

He's only 4 and super into Pokemon, so I can just load him up with the hits.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm getting two; one for myself, and one for my nephews when they come over to be babysat $60 is an amazing price point

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:doh: I went to their website looking for informationlike a loving rube

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

repiv posted:

pixels don't charge at >3 amps so i doubt the cable they include is e-marked

i've found that some devices get USB-C almost right to the point that they work with a 3A cable, but then still poo poo the bed with a 5A e-marked cable

Yeah, I plugged it into my anker 240w(!) C-to-C cable and it did not work

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just shoved my RG280V in my desk drawer at work and I'm looking for games I can play that do stuff in realtime and I can just check in on every so often. Any ideas?

Can you name a single game in this genre, regardless of platform? Sounds interesting. Like a Tamagatchi type thing?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mega64 posted:

There's a ton of idle games like that, though a lot of those are gacha bullshit and I don't think there's any retro games like that.

Yeah I suspect this is due to the fact that retro consoles were just a toaster with an on/off button

Later consoles were computers with an RTC (real time clock) which I think the first was probably the Dreamcast, if not directly, then through the interactive memory unit thing. Maybe both

I guess technically a game cartridge could have had an RTC built in and then you'd need to replace the battery every decade or so but AFAIK it never happened

Technically the Nintendo game and watch had a RTC but it wasn't tied to gameplay

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Huh interesting. So then most/every GBC emulator has the ability to play games with a RTC

Looking forward to GBC de make of animal crossing next week on itch.io

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently for GBA both MegaMan 4.5 and "solar boy Django" had RTC support as well. Although I couldn't tell you how they were used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would imagine that the first XYZ units were staged for immediate shipment, if you ordered today it's probably going out Monday

Anything after ~wednesday will ship at a more relaxed pace

Total guess