Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Weedle posted:

ok gently caress all this anbernic poo poo i found the best one of these

I am that small child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MarcusSA posted:

I posted this in the retro thread but lol at this thing

https://youtu.be/uNxlJvbccps

He said SNEZ. CANCELLED.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I think more and more these days that i need an HDMI output for any of these devices specifically because of that. Some games just suck on a small screen but if I'm out camping it could be cool to blast it onto the side of a camper or something.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Does the 351v come with RA stock or are you loading it after you get it?

Can you put RA on the 280v?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Handle ps1" is fairly vague. Any 2d ps1 title will be fine most likely.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Does this count as 3rd party

https://www.etsy.com/listing/985717819/dreamcast-portable-43-169-display-read?utm_source=OpenGraph&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share

I wonder how much battery life it has

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

lmao holy poo poo that price is only a down payment

Ahahaha I didn't see that. $825 :stare:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

There's was a portable Wii that is similarly priced. You can make one yourself but you have to source a Wii and cut the mainboard so it fits into the shell.

Where does the sensor bar go?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The biggest drawback I can see is that the vmu is fully integrated into the unit. Seems like it's gonna limit what you can play without having to constantly delete saves.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

it's like shigeru miyamoto personally came on it.

This kills the d pad

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

How often do these come pre loaded? I was going to gift one to my nephew and that would make a big difference!

It'll most likely come loaded with games but nothing comprehensive.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm new to the retro handheld scene, but what's the big deal with the Pocket beyond the fact it can play physical cartridges? Like, all the games it can play seem easy to emulate on devices that can also emulate other systems as well.

It's an FPGA based system that recreates the logic and timing of the original hardware so it's seen as a step beyond emulation for a lot of folks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Gameboy clone sucked me off?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I was just gifted an nvidia shield. Is there a good resource for tweaking these things?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

A set top box.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

Powkiddy has released a new handheld reusing that retro nintendo style design of theirs that everybody loved a couple of years ago

What? v90? I don't know what that is, I'm taking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOkCQMG8lDk

Edit: wait is this just the same one as before? Did that have wifi?

It looks like the RG 280V that has a super famicom colorway. I know because I have one along with some other RG variant handheld (also vertical but bigger) and I never use either of them.

I guess I was never sure where to find the newest builds for stuff and then it seemed like newer devices came out so those models just didn't get support anymore.

Maybe I'll donate them to the Little Free Library.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Adam still supports the 280V era pretty nicely

Thanks for the heads up on this. I just installed a build of Adam on it and retroarch seems to run pretty well.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have like four old iPhones. This is interesting to my situation so thanks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FweFSlRk_I

It's crazy that PS2 emulation is now better than GameCube

That weird claw hand move he does in Mario Kart though what the hell

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have a shield tv pro and when I plug in the controller to charge it, it gets pretty dang warm. Is that normal behavior?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Gizmondo is pretty hardcore collectable (predated Gizmodo). I only have a Microsoft Kin One in mint package.

Lmfao "meeting sis for retro show"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm sure many people realize this at some point but I find that I'm using my two Anbernic devices a lot more now that I've moved away from putting entire HTGDB packs onto them.

The idea of having a device that has every NES, GB, SNES, Genesis, etc. game on it is fine in theory.

But in practice what I need is a device that just plays Kirby's Pinball and Shining Force II.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

After trying and failing to get PS1 emulation working on a myriad of devices I own, I went ahead and ordered a Retroid Pocket 3.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah I only have a 280v, an rg-300 and an rg-350. None of them seem up to it except for basic games.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh woops I totally ordered a RP3 when I meant to get an RP3+.

Fortunately their store support fixed it and billed me the difference quickly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I play non-reactive puzzle games and rpg's on mine because it's not really useful for anything else.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Just got my RP3+ today and it's definitely the best emulation handheld I've purchased so far both in build quality and overall software polish.

e: Got an SD card question. I formatted mine to fat32 with guiformat but then it won't let me put GTA:SA on it because the file is too large. Should/Can I use a different file system than fat32?

e2: Nevermind, converting it to CHD seems to be the solution.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 14, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

These are not the posts of people who are dedicated to the game.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It's a bummer Scott Hall died. He'd be a perfect spokesman.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm a tiny tiny man. My toes are literally the size of pieces of rice.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The RP3+ is the first one I've bought where I didn't immediately try to swap the firmware for something else. It works pretty well.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It's more authentic this way.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I like my Xbox Hori fighting commander but I've found that it doesn't work in all use cases.

Like if I plug it into a WingmanSD and plug that into my Saturn it makes my console do weird poo poo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Transparent blue is true

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That hinge is going to fail so fast.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

hatty posted:

If the Steam deck is too big the Retroid Pocket 3+ and the Anbernic 405M are popular choices

Eh, the rp3+ is not going to run GCN.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

njsykora posted:

Yep, no-one cares about Android TV boxes when for their main purpose they're either little HDMI sticks or built into the TV itself and native Android gaming is lmao.

I have an Nvidia Shield TV Pro that I keep in my "projector a/v equipment" bag and it I use it exclusively for sports streams over IPTV on KODI. Other than that I can't think of what it's good for.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

There's this thread too!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm trying to set up my RP3+ for a work trip and for some reason I cannot get SNES roms to launch (every other platform works fine).

The launcher tells me "No core found" but no matter if i choose manual or auto setup, it just kicks me over to RetroArch and nothing I press or click in that interface moves me forward. If I manually choose the SNES9X core ... nothing happens. If I go back to the launcher and try to launch a game, it tells me there's no core.

I've tried removing the system and re-adding it but the issue persists. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

otter posted:

Isn’t it like $15 for a memory card and $30 for an ssd to do just that?

Yep and now there is a tool that is drag and drop to the drive instead of needing a bunch of old applications.

E: AND it supports huge drive sizes too.